PDA

View Full Version : Digital Radio Reception in Caithness

viking
13-Dec-08, 22:18
Having checked the websites on the subject and being assured that I could receive DAB radio I've just bought a digital radio only to discover no stations can be detected! Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone able to pick this up? If not, why are our local shops selling them!?

teenybash
14-Dec-08, 00:12
I have a dab and cannot get anything...................[disgust]

binbob
14-Dec-08, 00:26
nothing for me either...could get it all i moray ,though..so really miss it now.one day.........................................:~(

Kodiak
14-Dec-08, 01:37
I am sure there was a thread not so long ago about this. It was said then that there was NO DAB Radio in Caithness.

I could always be wrong but this is what I remember, so due to this I have never bought one as I thought it would be a Pointless excercise.

K

Metalattakk
14-Dec-08, 01:58
It has been reported that DAB can be received in certain parts of Caithness, around Lybster. The quality is dubious at best, going from previous reports.

There was a thread or two on here back in September/October where a certain somebody gleefully stated that workmen at the Rumster mast had told her that they were currently updating the mast to provide DAB, with the service starting in November at the very, very latest.

I was soundly chastised by a couple of Orgers for stating my utter disbelief.

Well, guess what? DAB is still not available up here. And nor will it be in the foreseeable future. In fact, there are currently no plans whatsoever to implement DAB radio reception in the North Highlands.

I'll not hold my breath for any apologies. ;)

sweetpea
14-Dec-08, 02:26
I've tried to get it here but it doesn't work!:(

dirdyweeker
14-Dec-08, 03:17
Yes this question has certainly been on before. I typed my post code into the site below and hey presto! I get DAB radio it says.
Truthfully? I don't, though according to my post code, I do.:lol:

Ah well, all good come to those who wait.......but I don't expect it soon.

Aaldtimer
14-Dec-08, 03:59
So are we saying here that local suppliers are selling these under false pretences? Or are they just tooling us up for the future (whenever that may be"?:confused

Metalattakk
14-Dec-08, 05:05
So are we saying here that local suppliers are selling these under false pretences? Or are they just tooling us up for the future (whenever that may be"?:confused

I am saying that any local supplier selling these devices are certainly selling them under false pretences (but only if they claim that the device will operate and receive a DAB signal in Caithness).

The worst thing about it is that DAB itself isn't worth bothering about in the first place. Up here, we'd only ever be likely to be provided with the commercial channels which transmit at ridiculously low kbps levels rendering their output less effective than current medium wave radio broadcasts.

DAB is a faltering, dying and already obsolete medium for radio broadcasting. It's only the UK Government (and the utterly stupid OFCOM) that insists it is even relevant these days.

EDDIE
14-Dec-08, 09:18
i think if u buy a dab radio its a bit of a hit or a miss with the reception i think its going to take quite a few years before u get dab everywere.
I sometimes wonder now that wireless broadband is common in homes if its better to get an internet radio.

Kodiak
14-Dec-08, 14:48
i think if u buy a dab radio its a bit of a hit or a miss with the reception i think its going to take quite a few years before u get dab everywere.
I sometimes wonder now that wireless broadband is common in homes if its better to get an internet radio.

Well what I use now is the Satelite Radio through the TV. There are 88 different Radio Channels, everything from Radio 1 to Polish Radio so there is usually something to listen to.

The reception is great and I can have my 5.1 Surround sound on which makes it even better.

K

viking
14-Dec-08, 15:28
Thank you everyone for the replies - very helpful. Can I get Moray Firth on Sky? What's the channel number? The radio I bought has a clock with alarm facility which only works when DAB signal is received so now I'm back to a radio and separate alarm clock!!!
Have to say I think I'll keep it anyway as the FM reception is much better than my old thing!
Happy Christmas to everyone!

golach
14-Dec-08, 15:35
According to ukdigital DAB can be received at the Glebe in Thurso, but an extra ariel is recommended

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/default.asp?search=true

Metalattakk
14-Dec-08, 15:44
The website is wrong, golach. It even shows the nearest transmitter to be near Culbokie - hardly able to deliver a signal to the glebe in Thurso, eh?

And also on that website it states there are no future plans for any transmitters in the Scottish Highlands.

Kodiak
14-Dec-08, 15:54
Thank you everyone for the replies - very helpful. Can I get Moray Firth on Sky? What's the channel number? The radio I bought has a clock with alarm facility which only works when DAB signal is received so now I'm back to a radio and separate alarm clock!!!
Have to say I think I'll keep it anyway as the FM reception is much better than my old thing!
Happy Christmas to everyone!

No I am sorry but MFR is one station you can not receive on Sat Radio. The two stations that I like and listen to are these :-

Liberty on 0186
Caroline on 0199

Well wort a quick listen to see if you like them or not, even if you do not there are plenty of others, just scroll through them until you find a station you like. :D

golach
14-Dec-08, 16:03
The website is wrong, golach. It even shows the nearest transmitter to be near Culbokie - hardly able to deliver a signal to the glebe in Thurso, eh?

And also on that website it states there are no future plans for any transmitters in the Scottish Highlands.
Never said it was correct Metalattakk, just pointing out how things are on the Web, not all are correct and 100%, and all facts should be checked, not all are correct.

Metalattakk
14-Dec-08, 16:13
Fair enough golach, although I wouldn't like someone to go out and buy a DAB radio (and extra ariel) on the say so of your post, only to find out that it has no chance of actually working.

golach
14-Dec-08, 19:19
Fair enough golach, although I wouldn't like someone to go out and buy a DAB radio (and extra ariel) on the say so of your post, only to find out that it has no chance of actually working.
I don't think anyone in Caithness is that stupid, to go and purchase a DAB on the say so of one individual, you presume to be all seeing and all knowing on the Org, then maybe you are correct, but some how I doubt it.[lol]

Gizmo
14-Dec-08, 19:25
I don't think anyone in Caithness is that stupid, to go and purchase a DAB on the say so of one individual, you presume to be all seeing and all knowing on the Org, then maybe you are correct, but some how I doubt it.[lol]

Get im' telt Golach :lol:

bedu
14-Dec-08, 19:27
I bought a dab radio last year and receive signal no problem, live in the berriedale area.

Metalattakk
14-Dec-08, 19:28

Where there is a chance for stupidity to exist, it will do so.

saba
14-Dec-08, 21:39
I went to Graham Beggs last week for a digital radio and the salesman said that we wouldnt be getting digital until 2010.