PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about lens!

dragonfly
13-Dec-08, 20:26
sorry if I come across as dense but thats because I am when it comes to photography!!

I have had a minolta slr camera for several years and a couple of lens to go along with it and was wondering if the lens' from the slr camera would work with a dslr camera?

Tugmistress
13-Dec-08, 20:51
if the dslr is also a minolta then probably yes, if they are m42 fit lens then you can pick up adaptors to make them fit.

dragonfly
13-Dec-08, 20:59
yes they are minolta lenses 35-70mm & 70-210mm both have 49mm on them??

Tugmistress
13-Dec-08, 21:03
Have you actually bought the dslr body yet? if not and if you are buying from a shop while going in, take the lenses with you to try them :) and i meant to say before, it's not a stupid question :D

North Light
13-Dec-08, 21:15
dragonfly,

Are these Minolta lenses Autofocus or Manual Focus? If I remember right Minolta changed the design of their lens mount when they brought the Autofocus system out.
The autofucus lenses fit their DSLR's, they should also fit the Sony DSLR's as I believe Sony bought the Minolta designs.

dragonfly
13-Dec-08, 21:21
haaha, now this really makes me look dense!! I just press the button and it focuses for me so assume its autofocus!!

no tugs I haven't bought the body yet, it was just a thought that came to me after seeing North Lights link to ffordes website and saw they did 2nd hand cameras - can't afford a new dslr and can't justify it either but if I could maybe get a 2nd had body that would work with lenses that I already have it would be a bit more justifiable :D

North Light
13-Dec-08, 21:26
dragonfly,

Sounds like your not dense, also sound like it's autofocus, any concerns take a lens with you, or talk to them on the phone, they are very helpful.

dragonfly
14-Dec-08, 20:58
been doing a bit of googling today and have come up with this little bargain which will work with my lenses - Sony A100 (http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=108182)

any one have any thoughts on it bearing in mind that I do not know the 1st thing about photography other than pointing and shooting??