PDA

View Full Version : please help

funky-dunky
29-Jan-06, 16:09
Hi i just got out off hospital knowing that i have a heart condition, i have to go and get a camera or a catwalk scan is any off this sore?

I have a small hole in my heart and would just like to know if anyone else have suffered with this and for how long?
They have to go and put a balloon to fill the whole is this also sore?
Could this condition get worst?
Has the doctors told me a lie so that i dont get scared as i am worried about getting an operation and the doctors said i wont have to but i aint sure?

Thanks xxx:~( :( :confused:

DrSzin
29-Jan-06, 16:18
I'm afraid I can't answer any of your questions funky-dunky (I'm not that sort of Dr), but I sincerely hope your treatment goes well and you make a 100% recovery. I'm sure you'll be in good capable hands. The NHS may have its problems but its medical/surgical staff are wonderful people, and, in my experience, they are experts at real treatment. I can't imagine that they'll have told you anything that's not true.

ice box
29-Jan-06, 16:25
Hi funky dunky welcome back no cat scan aint sore its just an big xray machine that scan your whole body in one go . my brother had a camera put down in to his stomach to see why he was being sick al the time he said it wasnt sore becuase they freezed his throat. Anyway good luck and get well soon

golach
29-Jan-06, 16:34
My Wife has just had the Camera put down her throat a few weeks ago, she said it was a bitty uncomfortable, but not sore, they give you a local anethsetic , she ate her mince an tatties I had made for her with gusto, an hour after she had it done

funky-dunky
29-Jan-06, 16:49
thanks everyone

nicnak
29-Jan-06, 17:02
hi funky dunky good to hear you are back out of hospital, I know how worried you must be but dont be the hospital and doctors will look after you.

cuddlepop
29-Jan-06, 18:44
Funky dunky,I'll try and help but please dont be scared.My youngest had to have heart surgery when she was 9 months old She too had a whole but because it was so large it couldnt heal itself.The camera goes into your groin artery and is fed up to your heart where the pressure can be recorded to determine how much back flow there is .The greater the reading the worse the whole.I think a ballon is fitted by going into your oxter and then inflated at the right point
You are more than welcome to pm me. We still attend Yorkhill every year just for a check up and thankfully we alwas get the ok.
take care:grin: .

porshiepoo
29-Jan-06, 19:08
Rest assured Funky Dunky that CAT scans aren't at all painful. :o)
It's a tad noisy though but you're given an alarm to hold so that if you panic they can stop the machine and get you out. But you'll be fine, it's not scary!
Good Luck and let us know how you get on.:D

Liz
29-Jan-06, 19:11
I know it's not easy Funky Dunky but try not to worry about it. I'm sure it will be fine. Think the waiting for it is the worst!

As Icebox said the Catscan is just an X-Ray machine.

I had an angiogram , where they inject dye into your arteries, and it didn't hurt one bit. They give you lots of lovely valium!!!:lol:

They really do everything to make any procedure as comfortable as possible.

Good luck!!!!

brandy
29-Jan-06, 19:25
oh hun! *HUGE HUGS* i know you must be scared right now..
but im sure everything will be fine!
my cousin was born with a whole in her heart and that was 31 years ago.. long before all the new med tech came out!
and shes never had a problem.. has led a normal life.
and remember its ok to be scared and worried..
and if you ever want to talk about it im sure that everyone on this board will be more than ready to listen!
i will keep you in my prayers and hope for a speedy recovery!
just take it easy and remember to use the invalid factor! *winks* once your better... you never get the petting you do when your ill! :}

badger
29-Jan-06, 19:35
Best of luck funky-dunky. I'm sure everything will be fine and you won't find it at all scary. Heart surgery of any kind is amazing these days and I'm sure you'll feel so much better after but, as brandy says, make the most of any sympathy you can get while it lasts. Good time to be put your feet up and be waited on. We'll all be with you.

phoenix
29-Jan-06, 20:26
Best wishes funky dunky:o) youll be fine...........Ive been in hospital, not for the same as you mind, didnt like it a lot :cry:{Im a big wimp when it comes to needles etc the sight of a white coat brings me out in a sweat} but where would we be without these dedicated souls. Liz is right they give you lots of "nice" drugs. I remember becoming quite ill in Wick, the next Im in an ambulance heading for Inverness. I felt great all the way down........ then when I saw the consultant when I got there, I told him I was feeling great and didnt know what I was doing there he replies "Did they give you a shot of the happy drug" dont know what it was but boy did it make you feel good:) Dont worry too much funky dunky, see it as a means of putting something right that's wrong........Be brave and strong and think positive..........Good Luck!:o)

wickerinca
30-Jan-06, 14:56
Hi funky dunky!! A catscan doesn't hurt and it is easier if you close your eyes...I fell asleep when I was getting one!!....but then I can fall asleep anywhere! As for the angiogram.....haven't had one myself but both parents have and they were both ok........and still alive and kicking. The doctors and nurses were all great....in Wick, Inverness and Aberdeen.....Oh! and Edinburgh.so don't you be worrying yourself.........you will be fine. Lie back and enjoy the attention:grin: . Wishing you a speedy recovery:grin:

paris
30-Jan-06, 16:11
Please dont worry, im 46 and have a hole in my heart. Its never caused me any trouble and nothing was ever done about it either.

Fran
03-Feb-06, 01:19
Hi Funky dunky, are you sandie who was in the Rosebank wing with me this past week, if so pm me as i can help you.

Whitewater
03-Feb-06, 15:59
Hi funky-dunky, I can't offer advice on this but I'm sure the advice from DrSzin and the others on this forum is sound. Don't be afraid to trust and listen to the advice of the medical staff, they have done it all before and are aware of all the fears you may have and will go out of their way to relax you and build you confidence. Good Luck.