PDA

View Full Version : Lies...Damn Lies... and Statistics

Shabbychic
13-Dec-08, 12:50
I have just finished reading this article (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081213/tuk-big-four-cheaper-than-discounters-6323e80.html) about the "Big Four" supermarkets versus the discounters Lidl, Aldi etc. It just goes to show the lies we are spouted every day, from so-called research.

So they go into Tesco and Asda and buy the cheapest stores own brands they can find, then go to the discounters and buy their top of the range products or Big Brand items, to try and prove their point.

On top of that, I believe Tesco for one, knew what was happening and changed their prices accordingly. A few weeks ago, I bought some bread in Tesco which had suddenly dropped by almost 20p. I happened to say something to the girl at the checkout about it, and she told me that " this was about that Lidl and Aldi thing." Now I know what she was talking about, although I didn't really catch on at the time.

I shop at Lidl all the time and know for a fact that they are much cheaper than the "Big Four", and actually on most occassions are even better quality.

I just see red when presented with this type of nonsense. The sad thing is, the Government does this all the time, and alas many people believe it.

Right, rant over for now. I have calmed down a bit.

Kodiak
13-Dec-08, 13:36
To be honest I shop at both Tesco and Lidl. Until Tesco came I did my main shop at Lidl as they were better value for money.

Now I find that on some items Lidl have put their prices up by quite a bit. I still do a shop there but only for Items that I know are cheaper without losing Quality. The rest of my shopping I get from Tesco.

I prefer Tesco as a shop as it does have a better atmosphere and the staff are very helpful. At Lidl I find the Shop has a cold feel and the Staff are not only hard to find at times but also not quite as friendly and helpful as they should be.

On saying all this I still think that Lidl has one big advantage over Tesco and that is its range of food that Only they sell. Like the Spiced Biscuits, mmmmmm, they are to die for.

One other thing I completely ignore articles or News reports about Supermarket Prices and who is the cheapest as I like to make up my own mind. Usually when this type of research is done they are buing items or brands I would not, so makes the result not relevant to me.

So I will keep on going to Lidl as well as Tesco as I find that way my few pounds stretch further.

Bad Manners
13-Dec-08, 14:49
I have read this article too and as usual you never believe evertything that is printed. Being a cannie scot I shop in lots of shops be it Tesco Aldi Lidl etc you get an idea of what shop does which item you are after both price wise and quality We happily buy things from all as for who is the cheapest dosn't matter we will buy what we like at a price we like cheapest is not always best. As with most things in life you see what everyone else says and you make up yourown mind.
Happy Shopping

teenybash
13-Dec-08, 14:57
I must admit I don't take much notice of who says where is cheaper as I can work that out for myself............I go where I want and buy what I need at the best price.:cool:

brokencross
14-Dec-08, 09:35
I must admit I don't take much notice of who says where is cheaper as I can work that out for myself............I go where I want and buy what I need at the best price.:cool:
We do our own "surveys" as we shop.

We do our main weekly shop at Aldi; most of the brands are not the popular, in your face names but the quality is very good and cheaper. Any items that Aldi don't stock, or more unusual items we get from Tesco. While we are shopping at Tesco we keep a watchful eye on the prices mentally comparing them to Aldi. If we spot a Tesco offer that beats Aldi and has a long shelf life or is freezable (and IF we need it), we will stock up.

ar1ling
14-Dec-08, 14:36
I think all these so-called research about supermarket price, is not the point deciding which supermarket we should go for shopping.
Different price for different quality products. When we pay the least money for something, we can't expect the highest quality of the products. We usually only buy what we need,what we think is the best at a our acceptable price. We decide ourselves which supermarket we should go for shopping, but not a research of supermarkets. :D