PDA

View Full Version : Tripods.

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-08, 11:16
I would like to get a half decent tripod,one that is reasonably portable for taking on walks over hills, moors etc and also for night time stuff.
The cheapo one i have is ok when the legs aren't extended but when its at full height
it reminds me of Bambi on ice.

Any recommendations?Not too expensive,i dont think i need to go to the £250 carbon fibre
end of the market but something around £100-150 maybe.

North Light
13-Dec-08, 11:42
MPH,

I use a Manfrotto carbon fibre as a lightweight tripod.

Ffordes near Beauly have a sale of ex demo gear on at present, have always found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

www.ffordes.com

tjc
13-Dec-08, 15:30
Interesting to see this thread Mystical Potato Head...

I was just gonna post a similar question myself and your description of your present tripod sounds very like the tripod I`m using atm... :D

Don`t mean to "jump in" on your thread but I need some info on a good tripod too, so I hope you don`t mind.

Interesting link North Light.

I`ll have a wee to look to check things out.

:)

Dorrie
13-Dec-08, 15:40
I have used various tripods to date but the one I like best is a Velbon. None of my tripods have been very expensive and I bought the Velbon second hand from Ebay but I really like it. :)

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-08, 17:34
Which type of head is best/easiest to use for bird photography when i might need to adjust something quite quickly,i would assume ball and socket but have never used one.
And i also assume that a 3way head is better or gives more accurate adjustment for landscape?
I've come across a couple of Manfrotto tripods and quite fancy the the 190xPro.its just which head would be best,decisions,decisions.

North Light
13-Dec-08, 18:48
MPH,
I used to use 3-way heads, but these are slow to adjust, I,m no expert on bird photography, but would have thought a ball head is ok, or a Video head.

If you go for a ball head I would suggest you get one with a separate tension adjustment, allows you to set the friction on the ball head, makes them a lot easier to use.

North Light
13-Dec-08, 18:53
mph,

Have a look at this page.

http://www.manfrotto.com/page3898.html

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-08, 20:00
Thanks for that Northlight,very helpfull.

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-08, 20:55
Think i've decided.
Manfrotto 055xb tripod,488rc2 ball head AND the 804rc2 3 way head.(hey its xmas)

Deemac
13-Dec-08, 21:11
I have the Manfrotto tripod and ball head (486RC2) and find it great. I use it for sports and wildlife shoots (long lens stuff). The 3 way head I have it work I find very painful for anything other than studio portrait or HDR work (far too slow and cumbersome). Go for a ball head, far more flexible.

North Light
13-Dec-08, 21:17
mph,

Glad you have decided, I must admit I agree with Deemac and would start off with just the Ball Head, get the 3 way later if you feel you need it.

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-08, 22:36
Ok guys,thanks for the advice.will skip the 3way.