PDA

View Full Version : Why would you ever want to eat a Bagel?

Errogie
12-Dec-08, 23:08
I've just declined the offer of a bagel and remembered why, and the first time I optimistically tried this American bread substitute.

Bagels must be the most uninteresting, tasteless and insipid objects to ever pass over the taste buds and unless you simply regard them as a conveyance for honey or even caviare then just don't bother. They're no better toasted!

And the other big disappointment in the U.S. food department is their Hershey bar. The problem is that over the years I've eaten a lot of these in my imagination while reading American literature and had some sort of feeling for what they may have been like, but how many things turn out not to add up when you go on to meet them in the flesh?

balto
12-Dec-08, 23:09
i have always fancyed trying a bagel, but after reading this dont think i will bother now. lol

Dadie
12-Dec-08, 23:10
Oreos were a big disapointment
so was my first KFC, big mac, and dr pepper was just odd!

balto
12-Dec-08, 23:12
oreos are just the most discusting thing out, mind trying them when they came here.

Venture
12-Dec-08, 23:12
Only thing I can liken a bagel to is cardboard. Totally tasteless.

Anne x
12-Dec-08, 23:15
I love Bagels filled with cream cheese and Italian Ham mmmm a lunch for me but the best I ever had was in Canada in a shopping Mall stall Warm Cinnamon with a dusting of whatever canna mind scrumptious

TBH
12-Dec-08, 23:19
I love Bagels filled with cream cheese and Italian Ham mmmm a lunch for me but the best I ever had was in Canada in a shopping Mall stall Warm Cinnamon with a dusting of whatever canna mind scrumptiousYou would probably feel the same way if you had ham and cream cheese between two slices of cardboard.[lol]

Kodiak
12-Dec-08, 23:34
I've just declined the offer of a bagel and remembered why, and the first time I optimistically tried this American bread substitute.

Bagels must be the most uninteresting, tasteless and insipid objects to ever pass over the taste buds and unless you simply regard them as a conveyance for honey or even caviare then just don't bother. They're no better toasted!

Whether you Love or Hate Bagel's one thing is for sure they are Not American.

They are European and were first made in Austria, a local Jewish baker wanted to thank the king of Poland for protecting his countrymen from Turkish invaders. He made a special hard roll in the shape of a riding stirrup-Bugel in German - commemorating the king's favorite pastime and giving the bagel its distinct shape

As bagels gained popularity in Poland, they were officially sanctioned as gifts for women in childbirth and mentioned in community registers. Mothers used them as nutritious teething rings that their infants could easily grasp - a practice still popular today.

wndyndy
12-Dec-08, 23:35
Never tried a Bagel before, where can we get it in Uk?really like to find out how bad it is?:)[quote=Errogie;469922]I've just declined the offer of a bagel and remembered why, and the first time I optimistically tried this American bread substitute.quote]

TBH
12-Dec-08, 23:37

They are European and were first made in Austria, a local Jewish baker wanted to thank the king of Poland for protecting his countrymen from Turkish invaders. He made a special hard roll in the shape of a riding stirrup-Bugel in German - commemorating the king's favorite pastime and giving the bagel its distinct shape

As bagels gained popularity in Poland, they were officially sanctioned as gifts for women in childbirth and mentioned in community registers. Mothers used them as nutritious teething rings that their infants could easily grasp - a practice still popular today.
I take it that it was the baker who gave Jews a name for being mean.
I mean, a bagel for saving his country from invaders.[disgust][lol]

mm1ii2aa3
12-Dec-08, 23:47
Definitely will not try for a Bagel! it soulds so bad!:mad:

Kodiak
12-Dec-08, 23:52
Never tried a Bagel before, where can we get it in Uk?really like to find out how bad it is?:)[quote=Errogie;469922]I've just declined the offer of a bagel and remembered why, and the first time I optimistically tried this American bread substitute.quote]

You can buy Bagel's at any Supermarket, Co-op, Texco's and Somerfield have them. I am not fond of them myself but I know a lot of people who love them.

Venture
12-Dec-08, 23:52
[quote=wndyndy;469941]Never tried a Bagel before, where can we get it in Uk?really like to find out how bad it is?:)

You can buy them out of Tescos from the bread section.

wifie
12-Dec-08, 23:57
I take it that it was the baker who gave Jews a name for being mean.
I mean, a bagel for saving his country from invaders.[disgust][lol]

Austrians and Germans are marvelous bakers so it would be a fantastic gift! [disgust]
I love bagels and the best one I ever had was eaten outdoors in Covent Garden with cream cheese and smoked salmon - mmmmmmmmmm!

TBH
13-Dec-08, 00:00
[quote=wndyndy;469941]Never tried a Bagel before, where can we get it in Uk?really like to find out how bad it is?:)

You can buy them out of Tescos from the bread section.What are bagels doing messing around in the bread section.[disgust]:D

Gizmo
13-Dec-08, 00:00
Toasted Bagels are fantastic, the Cinnamon & Rasin ones are lovely with loads of butter, the plain ones are lovely with cream cheese or peanut butter, i have to say that i don't really like them untoasted, they are really doughey untoasted.

wifie
13-Dec-08, 00:04
[quote=Venture;469953]What are bagels doing messing around in the bread section.

So where would you have them messing TBH? :confused

Bang on Gizmo the cinnamon and raisin ones are fab toasted wi butter! They are all definitely best toasted and eaten warm - wishin I had some in the freezer now! :(

Venture
13-Dec-08, 00:11
Are you trying to put TBH's words in my mouth wifie..as well as bagels.[lol]

TBH
13-Dec-08, 00:15
Austrians and Germans are marvelous bakers so it would be a fantastic gift! [disgust]
I love bagels and the best one I ever had was eaten outdoors in Covent Garden with cream cheese and smoked salmon - mmmmmmmmmm!

Germans make great lager so I guess a bagel dipped in becks would be quite nice.
Do you think that eating them out-doors in covent garden improves the flavour somehow?[disgust]

[quote=TBH;469959]So where would you have them messing TBH? :confused
I'd have them in the kids toys section, or in the baby food section. Apparently they make for a nutritious teething ring.

wifie
13-Dec-08, 00:23
Germans make great lager so I guess a bagel dipped in becks would be quite nice.
Do you think that eating them out-doors in covent garden improves the flavour somehow?[disgust]
Yes I think it did enhance the taste as it was getting dark on a frosty evening - my bagel was hot but the cream cheese was cool and satiny and the smoked salmon reminded me of home. :Razz

[quote=wifie;469963]I'd have them in the kids toys section, or in the baby food section. Apparently they make for a nutritious teething ring.
Good point - I think they would make excellent teethin ring if perhaps a little large for small mouths and indeed hands!

TBH
13-Dec-08, 00:30
Good point - I think they would make excellent teethin ring if perhaps a little large for small mouths and indeed hands!Ach, e' mithers can howld e' bagel and e' bairns will soon get through hid no matter what size.

wifie
13-Dec-08, 00:39
Ach, e' mithers can howld e' bagel and e' bairns will soon get through hid no matter what size.
The wouldn't be eating it - joost chowin 'id! :roll:

TBH
13-Dec-08, 00:42
The wouldn't be eating it - joost chowin 'id! :roll:So if they wis chowin' hid then yur tryin' til say they wouldna be eatin' hid?
Ah suppose they choost spit hid oot withoot gettin' any benefit of e' cairdboard substitute?

wifie
13-Dec-08, 00:51
TBH what is yer bagel eating experience? I am getting a very negative vibe from you as regards this bread item and I would like to help you.

TBH
13-Dec-08, 00:54
TBH what is yer bagel eating experience? I am getting a very negative vibe from you as regards this bread item and I would like to help you.Now yur tryin' till say I hev no bagel eating experience so I shouldn't have a comment on it??[disgust]

Julia
13-Dec-08, 00:59
Toasted Bagels are fantastic, the Cinnamon & Rasin ones are lovely with loads of butter, the plain ones are lovely with cream cheese or peanut butter, i have to say that i don't really like them untoasted, they are really doughey untoasted.

Hot, buttered cinnamon and raisin bagels are yummy! Even my kids eat them.

As for Hershey bars, they are nothing like chocolate and probably not even related to chocolate, they taste horrible, Americans have been conned out of choclate, we should ask Brandy to see which she prefers.

Twinkies are ok as are fluff a nutters, Reese's peanut butter cups are so yummy (chocolate cup filled with, you guessed it, peanut butter with a chocolate lid on top)! Oh and I love Oreo's too :Razz

wifie
13-Dec-08, 01:01
Now yur tryin' till say I hev no bagel eating experience so I shouldn't have a comment on it??[disgust]

I never said that! Don't put words in my mouth and I won't put bagels in yers! [lol] Well actually I do wish you to try the experience if you have not had it! I just feel perhaps you had a bad bagel experience and I would like to heal you!
(Disclaimer:- I do not have shares in a bagel making company or bakery. There are other bread products available.)

MadPict
13-Dec-08, 01:09
Try eating a decent bagel and you'll not liken it to cardboard...

George Brims
13-Dec-08, 01:14
I don't know where some of you people are buying your bagels, but wherever it is, don't go back. If you ever get to New York, buy a fresh bagel there, or if you come over to the US West Coast, find a Noah's Bagel shop (ex-pat NewYawkers). Theirs are great. They do a potato one with cracked pepper that is just fabulous when I get my occasional fix of Scottish smoked salmon.

Bagels are just bread in a different shape (well the baking process is slightly different). No reason you should ever get a bad one. However once they get stale they do get pretty tough. I knew a Jewish guy from Glasgow in college, and he claimed that where it says in the Bible that David selected "five smooth stones from the brook" to chuck at Goliath, that's a colloquial expression for week-old bagels.

Venture
13-Dec-08, 01:40
Unfortunately George, living in Wick, we don't get the chance to sample a fresh bagel. The only ones I have seen available and bought, were from Tescos. I think they were called New York bagels. They really were awful. Maybe I would think differently if I sampled a fresh baked one. Next time I'm in New York I'll try one............I wish.;)

Dynamic Sounds
13-Dec-08, 04:47
Got to say I was warey of trying bagels at first, but I tries a cinnamon & raisin one in Canada and 1999 and was hooked.

When I was working in Canada again in 2001 and 2004, many a toasted Tim Horton's Bagel and a pint of milk kept me sane on night shift.

And summer just past I discovered the delight that is loads of cream cheese on a toasted Cinamon Raisin..... mmmmm

I do like the toasted plain bagles with cream cheese and smoked salmon. The wife informs me this is called "locks" in her home land.... of New York State.

htwood
13-Dec-08, 06:07
There's nothing in this world like a fresh hot bagel, slightly chewy crust and fluffy inside. And thank goodness, there's also nothing in this world like a day-old bagel. Not even as soft as cardboard. Yeuch.

Ash
13-Dec-08, 10:07
I love bagels... toasted with bacon.... yummy!

brandy
13-Dec-08, 10:20
aheemm.. raises hand.. ummm bagels are lovley.. yum! "wonders if she will be stoned with bagels.. and rushes to get the butter out"
but seriously on the choccie side of things.. this is coming from and american and a woman.. your rights european choc. is much much better!
hersheys has a waxy taste you might notice, and tastes a lot more artifitial than a lot of chocs. over here.
but there are so many things that you miss out on over here that americans have as well.
there is nothing like an arbys roast beef sandwich when you are really hungry and have that big empty pit in your stomach... seasoned curly fries! iced tea! YUMMY!
homemade lemonaid...
recce pieces!
recces peanut butter cups!
mountain dew!
peach cobbler!
corn chips, and cheese fingers!
i miss waking up to my moms grits and fried livermush
fried bologna sndwiches with frenches mustard.
cheese flavored pop corn!
turnip greens! i would give my kingdom for a big bowl of turnip greens!
corn bread!
oh lord the list could go on and on!
me and my mates would go to dennys at 3 am with all our books and sit and have a big meal, while we poured over the books for exams. i would always order moons over my hammy, with seasoned fries and a large iced tea. then have to defend my food and tea from the hordes of males trying to distract and devour!
youve not lived until you have survived el taco bell!
and KFC is nothing like the one over here *yuck* i was jumping when i heard inverness had a KFC was out the door! went to order our meal and was like.. what?!?! what do you mean you cant have cole slaw and mashed tatties with gravy?
what idiot would want to eat chips with fried chicken?
you call this corn? Yurk!
come to my house ill make you a proper fried chicken meal!
theres a lot more real foods that i miss as well, that i do make at home.. i really should put some of the recipes on here so you guys can have a chance at american (deep south) cooking! *G*
ohhh but the best most wonderful southern food will be homemade buttermilk biscuits!! yuuuumm!!!!

anneoctober
13-Dec-08, 11:54
aheemm.. raises hand.. ummm bagels are lovley.. yum! "wonders if she will be stoned with bagels.. and rushes to get the butter out"
but seriously on the choccie side of things.. this is coming from and american and a woman.. your rights european choc. is much much better!
hersheys has a waxy taste you might notice, and tastes a lot more artifitial than a lot of chocs. over here.
but there are so many things that you miss out on over here that americans have as well.
there is nothing like an arbys roast beef sandwich when you are really hungry and have that big empty pit in your stomach... seasoned curly fries! iced tea! YUMMY!
homemade lemonaid...
recce pieces!
recces peanut butter cups!
mountain dew!
peach cobbler!
corn chips, and cheese fingers!
i miss waking up to my moms grits and fried livermush
fried bologna sndwiches with frenches mustard.
cheese flavored pop corn!
turnip greens! i would give my kingdom for a big bowl of turnip greens!
corn bread!
oh lord the list could go on and on!
me and my mates would go to dennys at 3 am with all our books and sit and have a big meal, while we poured over the books for exams. i would always order moons over my hammy, with seasoned fries and a large iced tea. then have to defend my food and tea from the hordes of males trying to distract and devour!
youve not lived until you have survived el taco bell!
and KFC is nothing like the one over here *yuck* i was jumping when i heard inverness had a KFC was out the door! went to order our meal and was like.. what?!?! what do you mean you cant have cole slaw and mashed tatties with gravy?
what idiot would want to eat chips with fried chicken?
you call this corn? Yurk!
come to my house ill make you a proper fried chicken meal!
theres a lot more real foods that i miss as well, that i do make at home.. i really should put some of the recipes on here so you guys can have a chance at american (deep south) cooking! *G*
ohhh but the best most wonderful southern food will be homemade buttermilk biscuits!! yuuuumm!!!!
Brandy - you've "forgotten" to give us your address so we can eat!!! Hmmmmm fried chicken dinner.......................:D
Bagels are yummy my fave is the cinnamon & raisin wi philly . ALWAYS eat em fresh !!![lol]

Thumper
13-Dec-08, 11:56
Oh I love bagels,they are soooooo yummy!My favourite is onion bagel with cream cheese,its lovely.x

hotrod4
13-Dec-08, 12:02
Bagels are choch!!!! Thought they looked lovely,like a doughnut but once I tasted it, yeuch, nearly spewed my wringer!!!!
Love southern fried chook though, I make a few cajun recipes at home and its bonny and tasty!!:D

anneoctober
13-Dec-08, 12:05
Bagels are choch!!!! Thought they looked lovely,like a doughnut but once I tasted it, yeuch, nearly spewed my wringer!!!!
Love southern fried chook though, I make a few cajun recipes at home and its bonny and tasty!!:D
Did you "taste" your bagel during drinking yer root beer or efter?![lol]

anneoctober
13-Dec-08, 12:07
Oh I love bagels,they are soooooo yummy!My favourite is onion bagel with cream cheese,its lovely.x
Hi Babe - long time no see.......!!! ;) Oh yeah toasted onion bagel wi cream cheese an some garlic....... hhhhmmmmmm.:D

Venture
13-Dec-08, 12:24
Brandy, what is livermush?

Anne x
13-Dec-08, 12:28
You would probably feel the same way if you had ham and cream cheese between two slices of cardboard.[lol]

Lol TBH I must admit I have never tasted Cardboard but some toasties I have are maybe the nearest thing :lol:

hotrod4
13-Dec-08, 12:59
The state of my insides after a Friday night!!!!!!![lol]

brandy
13-Dec-08, 13:07
well it sounds really nasty, but tastes yummy!
here is a website that shows the fun side of it.. *G* shelby is just down the road from my hometown.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1222/p14s01-lifo.html
and this is what wickpedia has to say
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livermush

its only available in a couple states of the south, north carolina being one of them.
but bless its good, just dont think about whats in it!

Sapphire2803
13-Dec-08, 13:39

Good question, sounds like squishy pate (Oh now I've made it sound really appetising)

@ Brandy

You can get Reese's Peanut butter cups down south, I've made myself queasy many times going back for a second one. I can't manage more than one, but I never learn. :roll:

Sapphire2803
13-Dec-08, 13:41
I have another for you Brandy...

What are grits?

brandy
13-Dec-08, 13:51
grits is a form of cornmeal..
umm ill let wickpedia do the talking again *G* its hard to explain..if youve never had it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

brandy
13-Dec-08, 13:59
this is a really good discription of food from where im from... im from a town called morganton NC.. and reading this has made me really home sick for some home cookin!
lord a mess of greens.. i love it! and it is so true.. we could have a big ole meal without a drop of meat!
what they didnt put in the article is meat is expensive and sometimes you just didnt have the money to buy meat.
but i disgress heres the link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Southern_United_States

canuck
13-Dec-08, 14:43
aheemm.. raises hand.. ummm bagels are lovley..

The issue with bagels is freshness for sure.

Note: by 'biscuits' brandy doesn't mean cookies, but rather small, delicious scones. They are right up there in cuisine heaven with corn bread.

Now back to the original post of this thread: Errogie what are you doing in New York City?

Geo
13-Dec-08, 14:58
I love the cinammon bagels from Tesco. Toasted with real butter, yummy! In fact that reminds me there is a packet in the cupboard.

Errogie
13-Dec-08, 15:26
Cannuck,
no, not in New York at present but was nearby a month or two ago!

This bagel moment I had is whetting the ORG taste buds big time and I have to register my other American eating experience which is the full chlosterol loaded breakfast with grits, hash browns and pancakes topped with maple syrup. But no cooked breakfast is really complete without some Stornoway black pudding made with real blood!

MadPict
13-Dec-08, 17:50
Try baking your own bagels - I have and they are far better than any supermarket ones. I worked in London a while back and there was a bakers nearby that baked fresh bagels everyday. Outstanding and a great thing to eat if you want to put off the hunger pangs.

One of my favourite flavours is one with jalapeno chillies in it!!!

This is a great bagel chain...
http://www.noahs.com/#/ourmenu/

And "biscuits".......

Just lurve biscuits and sausage gravy.........

...looks disgusting but yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

lildj
13-Dec-08, 18:32
I am just back from New York & I had a bagel & scrambled egg & I thought they were nice but I don’t like the ones you buy out of the supermarket here.

Tristan
13-Dec-08, 20:04

Then you have never had a proper bagel (such as those in Montreal) baked in a wood fired oven...hmmm.

sandyr
13-Dec-08, 23:38
Did you know that a Bagel is.... 'A donut's healthy Cousin'!

TBH
14-Dec-08, 00:07
Lol TBH I must admit I have never tasted Cardboard but some toasties I have are maybe the nearest thing :lol:I am sure your toasties are fine.[lol]

rockchick
14-Dec-08, 10:50
Bagels are lovely, especially the fresh ones from Morrisons. Toasted, with butter, they are the perfect start to my day along with a cuppa coffee.

daviddd
14-Dec-08, 22:04
I can't understand why anyone up here would wish to eat a bagel when you can get such lovely fresh bread and rolls from the many excellent bakers in Caithness? My favourites are from the Halkirk shoppe or from Johnston's in Thurso.

rich
15-Dec-08, 16:44
Montreal bagels are the best. But you've got to have a wood oven for the best results.
They are great with lox and cream cheese. I get them Sunday morning, fresh baked from the Hamish Bakery here in Toronto. But in Montreal bagels are a passion, and I think they are the best.

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/montreals-bagels-are-they-the-best-in-the-world.html

floyed
15-Dec-08, 18:17
I like bagels with philly and bacon or cheddar and ham mmmm.......:D

Andrew C
15-Dec-08, 18:36

I can second that....much better toasted, the cinnamon and raisin ones are tasty with a pile of proper butter....goes straight to the waist though mind!

teenybash
15-Dec-08, 20:43
I have only ever eaten a bagel once.................but boy, they are difficult to get that first bite off.
I am going to have another go since loadsa folk have suggested some nice toppings and to toast them............should have read this earlier and I could have brought some back from town....:eek:

AfternoonDelight
17-Dec-08, 14:31
I'm having a cream cookie.

Now I have a icing sugar smile like the Joker.

And I have cream on my jumper.

wifie
17-Dec-08, 17:04
I'm having a cream cookie.

Now I have a icing sugar smile like the Joker.

And I have cream on my jumper.

What a clart! What do cream cookies have to do wi bagels? :confused [lol]

oldmarine
17-Dec-08, 21:47

I've had some good tasting Bagel's in the USA. They were flavored (cinamon and raisons) plus other flavors. I enjoyed eating them.

wifie
18-Dec-08, 16:07
Well I am just eating a toasted sesame seed bagel found on the reduced shelf last night in Tesco and it is well good wi loads of butter! I have just been thinking if old bagels are so rubbish and I love them then I really really have to try a fresh one don't I!

AfternoonDelight
18-Dec-08, 16:45
What a clart! What do cream cookies have to do wi bagels? :confused [lol]

Nothing - I just thought I'd share my snack time info with the masses....:Razz

wifie
18-Dec-08, 17:01
Nothing - I just thought I'd share my snack time info with the masses....:Razz

Well in that case thank you but does it mean that yesterday you were not a Clean Weeker? [lol]

AfternoonDelight
18-Dec-08, 17:10
Well in that case thank you but does it mean that yesterday you were not a Clean Weeker? [lol]

Yes. Yes it does. :cool:

floyed
18-Dec-08, 21:17
I can second that....much better toasted, the cinnamon and raisin ones are tasty with a pile of proper butter....goes straight to the waist though mind!

Thought bagels where quite low in fat???