PDA

View Full Version : Trials and Tribulations of a train journey

young_fishin_neep
12-Dec-08, 10:12
Okay, so yeah people do sometimes run into little 'snags' on train journeys, but lets just say i've had more than my fair share of them. I regularly make a train journey from Thurso to Bridlington, this has a fair amout of changes, depending on wichever route you end up going.
My first ever trip down was fine, i had no problems at all i had nothing to complain about, 'whats the worrying for it was fine' i used to tell myself. So, on the journey back i thought 'yea it will be as fine as the journey down'. How wrong was I?
First train, bridlington to hull was about 10 minutes late therefore, i missed my connection from hull to york, not my mistake so the train company put me in a taxi to york to try and catch the york to edingburgh connection, what a suprise traffic was horrendus and i missed it. i went to the office and explained what had happened and they told me they could send me to stirling and i would have to spend an hour an half in stirling to wait for a train to edingburgh, so an hour and a half in stirling went by and i got my train to edinburgh, i managed to catch the last train of the day to inverness, but suprise suprise i wouldnt be able to get to thurso..... i ring mam and she has to come pick me up from inverness.

my problems have all been due to late trains, wich i guess nothing can be done about it, i have been delayed two hours before due to someone commiting suicide, i have been delayed an hour due to an accident, i have very nearly missed trains and hvae ran around many stations like a headless chicken!

But today, really does have to put the iceing on the cake.
Okay so i have not been down to Bridlington yet this year, so i was looking forward to it... but i had a feeling something was going to go wrong.... as the day progressed things were fine, my trains were actualy early for once thurso to inverness was good but very very cold, inverness to edinburgh, yet again fine, was a little miffed off as somebody had sat in my booked seat and i didnt have the heart to say anything so i found a seat to myself and had a wee nap, Edinburgh to york, the dreded train, i really needed this train to be early as if it was just on time i would only have 5 mins in york to find my platform n catch my train, thankfully train was 4 minutes early, plenty of time, or so i thought... i went up to a nice steward and asked here were the scarbourgh train was going from, she said platform 5 and showed me the way, a train pulls up and she says its my train, so me not even concidering the fact she was wrong nievely jumos on the train gets a seat starts getting comfy as we pull of, just to hear over the tannoy, "this train is for Edinburgh Waverly it will be calling at darlington, newcastle......"
WHAT???????????????????
this certainly wasnt the train for scarbourgh, i had just come from Edinburgh waverly so i hardly wanted to be going back there straight away...so theres me panicking as i knew it only took about 20 mins to get to darlington, i quickly as possible find someone to help me, i could feel myself welling up, you see when this kind of thing happens to me and im worried and not in control i tend to break down and cry so first thing first tell the lady i will definatly start crying, and as soon as i tried to say im on the wrong train sure enough all that came out was a wet kind of mumble. after the enitial birst of tears i calmed down a bit to explain what had happened and she said right we need to get you off at darlington and get you back to york so... she phoned and sorted out me getting back all i would need to do was go and speak to the information lady at darlington. i get off at darlington and speak to the lady, i was origonally told i would be getting a train from darling to york at 21:09 but the nice lady at darlington spoke to the nice ticket guy from country crossings and he let me on so that was it i was in darlington for ten minutes maximum. well it turned out the nice guy was very very nice, he told me i should go into the office at wick and try and claim meal coupons, he said it was doubtfull i would get them so he gave me meal coupons from his company, wich he had no need to do but i apreciated it. so, back in york stuck,i went to the office like the guy said, the not so nice guy behind the counter was utterly useless and said all you can do is fill in a complaints form and you may recieve money back for the problem. lucky the nice guy had given me tokens as i was rather hungry. next problem... i was suposed to be in scarbourgh by half 8... turns out i wouldnt be getting to scarbourgh until 23:04 :(

after being picked up in scarbourgh by my father and not getting actualy to bridlington till just before midnight, i was shatterd shatterd so sorry to those i was suposed to tell that i was safely here... it was a long and very stressfull day... hope my journey home in a couple of weeks goes better and i start getting some good luck on trains.

kazzii xxxxxx

golach
12-Dec-08, 10:19
Awwww Neep, you were fine when we left you in Edinburgh [lol] What happened?

young_fishin_neep
12-Dec-08, 10:26
goodness knows, just my luck to be honest :(

xxx

Tugmistress
12-Dec-08, 10:34
Sorry neep, i am still giggling but i know it's not funny at the time. At least you got there and you met at least a few nice people willing to help you out! big thumbs up to the guy on the train south from darlington, seems he is one of a dying breed unfortunately.
Am surprised you're not still in your pit snoring! :lol:

young_fishin_neep
12-Dec-08, 10:38
i will have you know mother i have been up since 7 :P, my poor wee sis got a shock when i poped my head round the corner she really didnt like me, so i went back to bed but couldnt sleep so went back to ma sis and she started to like me, when we were downstairs she was tryna show me all her toys and didnt want to go to nursrey, i had to promise to play with her when she gets back, the time has seriously gone but she is so grown up, shes 2 and already speaks proper sentences, picks up every word you say, you can actualy have a more than one word conversation with her

xxxxxxxxx

wifie
12-Dec-08, 10:41
Och poor owld neep! Know how ya feel - been on the train a couple of times recently and experiences can be mixed! Never mind the nice folk more than make up for the rotten ones! Enjoy yer break and don't think about coming home until you have to and it will be fine! Think positive! :)

Venture
12-Dec-08, 10:45
Ah Neep sorry to hear you had such a terrible journey. The problem with trains is if one is late by only a few minutes it can upset the apple cart for the rest of the journey. Getting from Caithness to England can be a nightmare. Many an experience I've had with children and prams etc in my day. I always find that rail staff are usually very helpful but you do get the odd one who couldn't care less if you catch your train or not. It's horrible when you realise that you are on the wrong train. Why is it the wrong one never seem to at least be going anywhere near where you want to end up, they are always in the opposite direction. I hope your journey back to Caithness is stress free.;)

golach
12-Dec-08, 11:31
I know what caused your problems Neep, that beeg Glayva you had in the Highland Market on Princes St [lol]

young_fishin_neep
12-Dec-08, 11:38
lol nawwww that was quite nice actualy, but shhhhhh i avent told mum you encouraged me to drink alcohol :P

xxxx

golach
12-Dec-08, 11:41
lol nawwww that was quite nice actualy, but shhhhhh i avent told mum you encouraged me to drink alcohol :P

xxxx
MOI!!! encourage you???? You preegged with me to get you one, and when you threw a hisssy and stamped your feet, and as you are beeger than me I gave in [lol]

Venture
12-Dec-08, 11:41

xxxx

I'm sure Mum will agree golach only had your best interests at heart by giving you some "inner warmth" for the journey ahead.[lol]

young_fishin_neep
12-Dec-08, 12:12
lol golach, i dont throw hissy fits im an angel

needed the inner warmth, it was freezing the whole way down and i have to say edinbrugh was coldest, york was warmest.

kazzii xxxx