PDA

View Full Version : Music @ Dunnet Head Lighthouse

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Dec-08, 15:09
A positive piece in today's Scotsman about said topic. :)

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/entertainment?articleid=4781813

Kodiak
11-Dec-08, 17:07
From the Scotsman Newspaper - The first time I saw the insides of the Dunnet Head Lighthouse complex I was 15 years old. That was December 1992 – three years after all British lighthouses had been automatedThis report by Barry Gordon is not entirely accurate. It would have been simple to check on the NLB Web Page. He says he visited Dunnet Head Lighthouse in 1992 which was three years after all Lighthouses were Automated. This would mean that all Lighthouses were Automated by 1989.

WRONG !! In 1989 I was working on Stroma as a Lighthouse Keeper and it was not until 1990 it was decided to speed up the Automation Policy. I was made redundant in 1991 due to Automation but Lighthouses were still manned for some years after this.

The Last few Lighthouses were made Automatic on the 31 March 1998 some 9 years after what this Reporter claims. One of the Last Lights to go automatic was "Cape Wrath Lighthouse" where I was stationed for four and a half years in the 70's & 80's.

http://www.nlb.org.uk/ourlights/history/capewrath.htm

K

Tighsonas4
11-Dec-08, 18:00
This report by Barry Gordon is not entirely accurate. It would have been simple to check on the NLB Web Page. He says he visited Dunnet Head Lighthouse in 1992 which was three years after all Lighthouses were Automated. This would mean that all Lighthouses were Automated by 1989.

WRONG !! In 1989 I was working on Stroma as a Lighthouse Keeper and it was not until 1990 it was decided to speed up the Automation Policy. I was made redundant in 1991 due to Automation but Lighthouses were still manned for some years after this.

The Last few Lighthouses were made Automatic on the 31 March 1998 some 9 years after what this Reporter claims. One of the Last Lights to go automatic was "Cape Wrath Lighthouse" where I was stationed for four and a half years in the 70's & 80's.

K
was the shore station in golspie at that time??? tony

Kodiak
11-Dec-08, 18:12
Yes it was in Golspie, I lived in Ross Street, but all the other Keepers lived in Tower Street.

We used to get a Taxi out to the Kyle of Durness and then we took the Small Ferry Launch across the Kyle, John Muir was the Boatman. There waiting for us on the other side was the Lighthouse Land Rover and we would drive the eleven and half miles up to the lighthouse. It was in about 1981 that we had the helicopter put on for the relief and we thne drove up to Dounreay and met the Helicopter there and we flown out to the Lighthouse.

K

webmannie
11-Dec-08, 18:57
It was in about 1081 that we had the helicopter

Amazing even before Leonardo da Vinci (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci) created a design for a machine, Groundbreaking crowd that lighthouse board:lol::lol::lol:

Tighsonas4
11-Dec-08, 19:00
hi kodiak
was the principal keeper donald something at that time???its surprising the facts they get wrong now
its says on that other site that pladda got a boat twice on sunday for the kirk
we spent 14 months on it and was only off once for holidays. the boatman came once a week weather permitting from kildonan
i did north rorthronaldsay. pladda and ushenish and in our time in oban had relieved on dubheartic more than enough [lol] only did 6 years and gave it up[no shore stations] regards tony

Kodiak
11-Dec-08, 19:41
When I first arrived at Cape Wrath it was Johhny Pearson and Ewen Stewart who were the Principal Keepers. In about 1982 Donald McLeod replaced Ewen Stewart and a Better man you could not have met.

When I was a Supernumerary I was at Girdle Ness, Pladda, Neist Point, Cantick Head, Rattray Head and Ailsa Craig.

As a Keeper I was at Cape Wrath, Stroma and Muckle Flugga.

Then as an Attendant Observer at Holburn Head.

In all I lasted out a total of 25 Years for the Lighthouse Board, 9 Years with the Coast Guard and 5 Years with the Met Office. This was all during the same time period and while I worked as a Keeper.

My wife was also one of the very few Female Keepers and we were the only Lighthouse Keepers who were not only Married but worked at two different Lighthouses. There were a few married Lightkeepers but all, except us, worked at the same Lighthouse.

K

buffy
11-Dec-08, 20:30
Wow what an amazing article! It sounds like they're doing something really great out there.

Tighsonas4
11-Dec-08, 20:32
i did my supernumery all at north ronaldsay and was posted as assissant keeper to pladda right away
i go to golspie quite a lot and it was there that i met donald
the wife and bairns were delighted in oban. the house was new built when we went there .of course i only had 4 months a year there regards tony

fingalmacool
12-Dec-08, 00:58
This report by Barry Gordon is not entirely accurate. It would have been simple to check on the NLB Web Page. He says he visited Dunnet Head Lighthouse in 1992 which was three years after all Lighthouses were Automated. This would mean that all Lighthouses were Automated by 1989.

K
GONIE NO DO THAT,JUST GONIE NO?

Yuv taken that too far:confused

Kodiak
12-Dec-08, 12:59
GONIE NO DO THAT,JUST GONIE NO?

Yuv taken that too far:confused

It might be splitting hairs to you that someone reporting that 70 Odd Lighthouses were closed in 1989 when they were not, also that he was 9 years out in time scale.

This to me is a bit more than splitting hairs and I believe that a writer for a Newspaper such as "The Scotsman" should research all details before he writes on a subject and not just write what he thinks he remembers from when he was 15 Years old.

veekay
12-Dec-08, 13:30
Wow what an amazing article! It sounds like they're doing something really great out there.

A little bit of an understatement I think..

trix
12-Dec-08, 14:11

A little bit of an understatement I think..

absolutely!!! :D

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Dec-08, 04:34
Thanks to those with the kind words.

As for those complaining about lighthouses and when they were automated - I got my information from two (supposedly) good resources. Sorry for the upset, it clearly struck a very, very bad nerve.

buggyracer
16-Dec-08, 10:44
Thanks to those with the kind words.

As for those complaining about lighthouses and when they were automated - I got my information from two (supposedly) good resources. Sorry for the upset, it clearly struck a very, very bad nerve.

but it was in the paper???? it must be true :lol::lol:

Sporran
17-Dec-08, 07:18
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article, Pepsi! Very interesting and well written. :)

Saveman
17-Dec-08, 12:24
Excellent article TPC!

Gleber2
17-Dec-08, 15:09
Aye, TPC, a good article which can only help the cause of quality live music in Caithness. Dunnet was automated in 1989 but our resident Org pedants are right about the rest.
Another point, Roddy frame has never played here. Roddy Hart has, however.
Thanks again for the publicity.
BTW, Did the piece get into the Record?

stansmith
18-Dec-08, 03:10
Who was playing at the gig Jimmy Page attended at Dunnet Hall. I'm sure he met some local lads in the Mey pub too.

Gleber2
18-Dec-08, 04:00
Who was playing at the gig Jimmy Page attended at Dunnet Hall. I'm sure he met some local lads in the Mey pub too.
It was Wick band High Society who were playing in Mey Hall, not Dunnet. He was entertained by myself in The Mey pub.

Metalattakk
18-Dec-08, 04:13
He was entertained by myself in The Mey pub.

I'm sure that's a matter for conjecture... ;)

stansmith
18-Dec-08, 11:19
High Society that was them, did they meet him in the Mey pub

Gleber2
18-Dec-08, 14:30
He came into the Mey hall where the band were playing Led Zep stuff rather well but Mr. Page refused to join them on stage as " He had a cold".
I shall treat Metalattakk's post with the contempt it deserves.[evil]

stansmith
18-Dec-08, 15:55
There is also a cracking Museum in the Thurso Town Hall now which failed to get a mention.

So what did Gleber and Jimmy Page talk about?

Chobbersjnr
18-Dec-08, 16:16
There is also a cracking Museum in the Thurso Town Hall now which failed to get a mention.

So what did Gleber and Jimmy Page talk about?
Well, firstly I told him that I didn't like Led Zep's music which upset him a little and then we argued about the Yardbirds gig in Wick in 1964. Page said that he was there and I said that he wasn't. It was not until much later that I discovered that he had been a roadie for the Yardbirds and was in fact there. Of course we also talked about Boleskine House and Crowley. The rest of our conversation I cannot remember.
Gleber here, I did not realise that Chjnr was logged on. Apologies!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Dec-08, 16:53
[QUOTE=stansmith;471923]There is also a cracking Museum in the Thurso Town Hall now which failed to get a mention.

QUOTE]

Someone else wrote the 'Top 5 other things to see...' - not me.

stansmith
19-Dec-08, 10:37
Yeah OK Pepsi.
Did Jimmy Page mention he was a fan of your music Gleber?
Boleskine House seems a dark haunted place, if you beleive in all that witchcraft, voodoo magic malarky.

rob murray
19-Dec-08, 15:19
Great article...but the Silver Beetles never ever played in Caithness, also cant remember the Quo ever playing in Caithness either...maybe wrong here though

hotrod4
19-Dec-08, 15:48
I dont recall hearing about quo playing. Do recall Stiff Little Fingers and Lena Lovich or am I also wrong?:confused:
Also believed Jinxd played in the blackstairs a few years ago!!![lol]

Torvaig
19-Dec-08, 17:40
I dont recall hearing about quo playing. Do recall Stiff Little Fingers and Lena Lovich or am I also wrong?:confused:

Yes, Lene Lovich and SLF were here; some time ago now.....;)

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41433

rob murray
23-Dec-08, 14:24

Lena Lovich played the assembly rooms as part of the Stiff Tour 1978. SLF never played in Caithness.

Green_not_greed
23-Dec-08, 15:59
High Society were mentioned earlier. Does anyone remember what happened to Ruby Bain? (Their rather brilliant guitarist for those under about 45......)

GNG

rob murray
23-Dec-08, 16:05
High Society were mentioned earlier. Does anyone remember what happened to Ruby Bain? (Their rather brilliant guitarist for those under about 45......)

GNG

Still making music, collaborating over the wires with Ray Trusty, formerly guitarist, British Standard on classical pieces

Green_not_greed
24-Dec-08, 12:41
Still making music, collaborating over the wires with Ray Trusty, formerly guitarist, British Standard on classical pieces

Glad to hear it. Just a little shocked that Trusty is doing classical pieces! I remember him well along with Spike Tait doing punk numbers.......

GNG

Bobbyian
24-Dec-08, 21:27
Nice one Gleber2. wish you all the best with that sort of venue.... all I can remember from the lighthouse was cycling up to visit in the early 60,s to visit the travelin relief Lighthousekeeper in his 40īs Singledeckerbus with a Map of Scotland on the Back and listen to his Yarns. Just Great...

rob murray
29-Dec-08, 16:26
[quote=Green_not_greed;474275]Glad to hear it. Just a little shocked that Trusty is doing classical pieces! I remember him well along with Spike Tait doing punk numbers.......

Yep, in British Standard c 1978 /79, and damn good they were...however that was 30 years ago, Mr Trusty. like all of us, has come a long way and covered a lot of time in the last 30 years. Classical music...depends on how you see it ? Having heard some of their work I would say its excellent

Billy Boy
29-Dec-08, 17:01
Does anyone know if the johnny fatts and his expanding head band, still doing the circuit :confused

Moira
29-Dec-08, 23:54
Nice one Gleber2. wish you all the best with that sort of venue.... all I can remember from the lighthouse was cycling up to visit in the early 60,s to visit the travelin relief Lighthousekeeper in his 40īs Singledeckerbus with a Map of Scotland on the Back and listen to his Yarns. Just Great...

Oh my Goodness Bobbyian, you just have to make a return trip. The venue is exceptional and the music surpasses it, always. Gleber2 is not one short of a yarn or three either. :)

TBH
29-Dec-08, 23:58
Also believed Jinxd played in the blackstairs a few years ago!!![lol]Jinxd were great, all they needed was a decent lead guitarist and vocalist and they would have made serious headway.

TBH
30-Dec-08, 00:00
Still making music, collaborating over the wires with Ray Trusty, formerly guitarist, British Standard on classical piecesRaymond Trusty, British standard?:eek: You will remember Billy Munro then, what a talented singer.

pinotnoir
13-Jan-09, 14:24
Speaking of Jimmy Page, Peter Grant went up to Bob Dylan in a bar and said "Hi, I'm Led Zeppelin's manager".

Dylan without looking up replied "So. I don't give you my problems."

Gleber2
13-Jan-09, 14:55
Does anyone know if the johnny fatts and his expanding head band, still doing the circuit :confused
Indeed we are but as the J.Fats Band. The Expanding Head Band died when Big Slim left us.