PDA

View Full Version : Bathtime?

cuddlepop
10-Dec-08, 21:13
Just how often can you shower your dog?

Scorrie just loves "bog diving" and would require a daily wash at this rate.:lol:

balto
10-Dec-08, 21:44
oh as few times as i can get away, as he hates it, but sometimes it is something that cant be avoided.

neepnipper
10-Dec-08, 22:40
I only bath mine when it's absolutely necessary, usually if they've rolled in something stinky.:eek:

You shouldn't bath them too often as it takes away the natural oils in their coat, sometimes just a rinse with clean water will suffice.

teenybash
10-Dec-08, 22:42
Afraid my two do not know what a bath or a shower is........both are total cowards. Instead I use an ionising brush and it leaves their coats beautiful, clean and fresh smelling.............one of my girls is white and she looks like a fluffy cloud when I'm done........even though she has rolled in something horrible.:Razz

Liz
10-Dec-08, 23:01
I'm afraid Benjy needs hosing down with the shower head quite a bit at this time of the year as he has long hair which gets mucky.
I don't use shampoo though and just shower under his belly and legs.

He is surprisingly okay with this since he hates being groomed!

If he's not too bad he gets a wipe down with a damp microfibre cloth followed by a pet wipe.

Teenybash I like the sound of the ionising brush. Where did you get yours please?:D

carasmam
10-Dec-08, 23:06
As neepnipper says shampoo strips the natural oils, but if you're just 'hosing' him down it shouldn't hurt doing it everyday :D

teenybash
10-Dec-08, 23:27
Liz I bought it from Lidl about 3 years ago but, I have never seen them since....if they reappear I will put up a post. Pets at Home might have them or know where to get one.
They are great for detangling and they repel fleas so cut out the need for products. My white lady is a rough haired lurcher and although elederly now can still get herself into a fine mess. I would recommend getting hold of one and they come with two sets of brushes.....save your back from showering Benjy as you can sit and lazily brush.:Razz

Liz
10-Dec-08, 23:43
Thanks for that Teenybash. I will have a look on t'internet!:D

Tilter
11-Dec-08, 00:53
Our dog has to be clipped, so she has a bath at the groomer's about 4 times a year. Our old dog was a lab and she went to the groomer's with the spaniel and had a bath and "Black Velvet Rinse" whether she needed it or not.

Ours go swimming in the sea all the time, and that seems to keep their coats lovely and shiny.

20-odd years ago I lived on the Californian-Mexican border - flea capital of the world - and had to bathe our dogs with flea shampoo once a week without fail. It didn't do them any harm.

Aaldtimer
11-Dec-08, 05:06
Our wee Westie won't let us groom him at all!
But he's as good as gold for Paula who clips and tarts him up several times a year for a make-over!
All we have to do is ask him if he wants a bath and he's up the stairs like a shot...he loves a shower!
With the appropriate shampoo & conditioner of course!
My by-name for him is the Wee White Sh**e!
Sam's the man tho'! :Razz

cuddlepop
11-Dec-08, 08:51
Afraid my two do not know what a bath or a shower is........both are total cowards. Instead I use an ionising brush and it leaves their coats beautiful, clean and fresh smelling.............one of my girls is white and she looks like a fluffy cloud when I'm done........even though she has rolled in something horrible.:Razz

That Ionising brush sounds a good idea,will look out for it .

Scorrie just loves getting mucky and thankfully loves being clean too.Last week he was even jumping on the ice to get to the water.
We were freezing just watching him.:eek:

Nettie
11-Dec-08, 14:16
When my Labs roll in something really "stinky" - like fox sh*t - the best way of getting rid of the smell is to rub in tomato ketchup!! Yes .... really!!! there is something in the stuff that cancels out nasty smells, then a quick rinse and the smell is gone!! try it

young_fishin_neep
22-Dec-08, 02:42
keira gets a shower whenever she needs it, wich isnt often as she loves a good swim in the sea, plus i dont like to shower her cuz she gives me those sad eyes and sticks her tail between the legs and ears are folded back and you just know shes saying why are you doing this to me mummy, so i feel bad. you cant get shampoos that replace the oils that usualy get striped from the dog. also the johnson's dry foam shampoo is pritty good or the johnsons dog deodoriseing spray works well too

kazzii xxx