PDA

View Full Version : Polish Student Selling Paintings

r.rackstraw
28-Jan-06, 23:02
Has anyone else had a Polish student with paintings to sell on their doorstep? Don't know whether he was genuine or if it is some sort of scam.

nicnak
28-Jan-06, 23:42
yep we had polish student trying same scam in clyth today.

angela5
28-Jan-06, 23:54
:eyes Scam?? i bought a lovely painting today and i'm delighted, bargain aswell.

peedie man
29-Jan-06, 00:05
they were in wick tonight trying to sell paintings for £12 or give them £3 to help with their studys..it was a female that was at our door

jings00
29-Jan-06, 00:08
yeh, a young kiddie was at my brother's house this afternoon, handed me a card sayin who he was and why he was there, very polite chap. didny buy a pic tho, as heard that there was a scam such as this goin round? skint anyways.

angela5
29-Jan-06, 00:48
hows it a scam???you are seeing what you are buying, there going out and doing something in this cold weather too.

nicnak
29-Jan-06, 00:51
I'm sorry if i offend anyone here i really dont mean to and first off let me say i give to lots of charities but it really does make me wonder how you can think its not a scam, I mean why on earth would there suddenly be a large amount of polish students pushbiking and walking around wick selling paintings then if you dont buy the painting asking for money? Its either a scam or they must all be very good telepathic artists who can draw and paint the same pictures who go to the prestegious art college at wick or thurso! Sorry again if I come across as quite hard, but my money was hard enough to come by to be parted with it on such a lame scam! Oh and just to make sure that we cant ask them any questions they cant speak English - yeah right!
But as a side note I do feel sorry for the poor folk cycling and walking around trying to flog the pictures cos they will probably be being ripped off themselves by whoever is organising them!

Rheghead
29-Jan-06, 01:04
A polish peddler came to my door as well with drawings of cute dogs and cats. He gave me his card and his expanation. I briefly looked at the drawings and thought 'No Way!' I am one of those annoying people that can draw well without going to art school so I told him that I wasn't interested and he went on his way. If he was selling something else then I might of bought it, may be something quintissential from Poland perhaps?

pedromcgrory
29-Jan-06, 02:16
last time they came to my house ,i said no thanks 2 minutes later i was on my way to shop round the corner ,seen her getting watched by 2 guys in a flashy bmw then once out off shop they picked her up ,so they must be doing alright for having a bmw.

angela5
29-Jan-06, 02:30
£10 for the picture was nothing to me, a weeks wage to them.

cuddlepop
29-Jan-06, 12:30
They were on Skye a few months ago,didnt stay long seemed to be passing through.
I've heard they've got a wee community network base in Inverness

janette
29-Jan-06, 12:55
If the sellor got the whole £10 in would be OK, but I expect they get a meagre percentage of the sale. The big boys will be reaping the rewards.

Geo
29-Jan-06, 13:22
last time they came to my house ,i said no thanks 2 minutes later i was on my way to shop round the corner ,seen her getting watched by 2 guys in a flashy bmw then once out off shop they picked her up ,so they must be doing alright for having a bmw.

That's assuming the doorstep callers own the BMW though. They may simply be students trying to earn a living, working for a tiny fraction of what the BMW owner is getting.

AR
29-Jan-06, 14:14
There has to be something up with this i think as when my sis was in Poland she said just about everyone, esp children and teenageers had excellent english.

stekar
29-Jan-06, 16:57
We had a Polish bloke knocking on our door at lunchtime trying to sell paintings, but we declined.

katarina
29-Jan-06, 18:09
hows it a scam???you are seeing what you are buying, there going out and doing something in this cold weather too.

ok. They are poor. They have to paint or draw to earn money to pay for their education. They can afford the fare to scotland. they must stay somewhere. hotel? B & B? And where do they study? Interesting they hand you a card - so they don't speak english? Handy that as you won't be able to ask them any questions. but if you're happy with the picture, fine. I'd lay odds tho that it is not an origonal - and that there are a few thousand more just the same making the rounds!
I had them last yeaR!

phoenix
29-Jan-06, 18:31
I had them at the door yesterday............didnt buy anything from them..........couldnt afford it and didnt need it, when I told him No thankyou he immediately dropped the price from £10 to £7, I Dont really buy the sob story, my own instincts told me somehow that it wasnt genuine.........could be wrong though:confused:

pedromcgrory
29-Jan-06, 20:22
That's assuming the doorstep callers own the BMW though. They may simply be students trying to earn a living, working for a tiny fraction of what the BMW owner is getting.
theres other ways dont see any other students going door to door .do you? pound signs in there eyes ,at all come here 6 months ,door to door cheap paintings etc ,mugs who buy maybe 40 doors a day etc ,say at 1£ a painting 7 days a week ,wotever they raise in that time multiple it bye 7 when they go home nice easy money i say ,

pedromcgrory
29-Jan-06, 21:02
kopsay sluga na varim dupek , cant say wot it means might offend you and others

simpsoney
29-Jan-06, 22:01
I had them at my door a few months back in Thurso. He handed me his card with the information on it and my instinct said something wasnt quite right so i declided. I watched him and he went to every house in the street. Not sure if he was genuine or not but i usually go with my instinct.

Bill Fernie
29-Jan-06, 23:15
I repeat it often as told by my mother and here it is again. Never buy anything at the door, on the phone or by email (added by me following the same principal as my mother never saw email) if you are approached. You have no way of knowing if it is a scam and you may be approached again and again once it is discovered that you are willing to take part.

There are huge number of variations on scams at the door and they are as varied as selling you flowers from someone elses garden perhaps adding piece of tissue paper to dress it up. Tarmacadam your drive for a very low price - doe not last very long before it falls apart. the most frequent of course is the use of someone in a vulnerable position - lost a limb, orphan or poor child, poor anyone etc etc. Often they are controlled by gangs and they get little or no money from the bosses running them. In the worst cases it verges on slavery and at best extremely poor money for the work involved. It is exploitation and I am afraid to say that although you may feel you are benefitting the person in front of you it is most likely you will encourage the sprwead of the scam.

Everyone must stop buying from the door to save the rest of us being pestered and the vulnerable being ripped off.

If you want to help the needy then look for the right charity on the Injternet and make donation to an organistion set up to help the grooup of people concerned.

angela5
29-Jan-06, 23:43
I did'nt think for one minute it was a scam, maybe i should be more careful in future. Last year i had a young girl at the door selling key rings she showed me a card with her picture on it and in big letters I am deaf, she was selling those key rings to support the deaf. Maybe this was a scam too, i'm going to stop feeling sorry for those who chap on my door selling items now.

katarina
30-Jan-06, 10:13
have you tried it? hows your polish accent coming on?

They could be from anywhere. They don't speak, just hand you a card. any one of us could take a trip to inverness and do that!

krieve
30-Jan-06, 10:52
I have never had them at my door but if anyone comes to the door try to sell me stuff i just say no sorry im not interested . I get one man that comes to my door regularly wanting to sell me thing when will he take the hint i am not interested.

Chillie
30-Jan-06, 10:56
I have never had them at my door but if anyone comes to the door try to sell me stuff i just say no sorry im not interested . I get one man that comes to my door regularly wanting to sell me thing when will he take the hint i am not interested.

Well if he keeps coming to your door then tell for once and for all, or if you know him send him a pm[lol] [lol]

krieve
30-Jan-06, 12:03
Well if he keeps coming to your door then tell for once and for all, or if you know him send him a pm[lol] [lol]
lol he is'nt on here lol

Geo
30-Jan-06, 12:53
theres other ways dont see any other students going door to door .do you? pound signs in there eyes ,at all come here 6 months ,door to door cheap paintings etc ,mugs who buy maybe 40 doors a day etc ,say at 1£ a painting 7 days a week ,wotever they raise in that time multiple it bye 7 when they go home nice easy money i say ,

There are loads of students who come over to the UK for work, doing various jobs such as picking fruit for example. This may just be another job advert they replied to. I have no problem with it if they are making good money as they're putting the work in and as the jobs are there it means people here won't do it. Going by the majority of replies though it doesn't sound like easy money. It is of course possible it is a scam of some sort. However it is also possible the students have simply replied to an advert for work.

Chillie
30-Jan-06, 16:36
I repeat it often as told by my mother and here it is again. Never buy anything at the door, on the phone or by email (added by me following the same principal as my mother never saw email) if you are approached. You have no way of knowing if it is a scam and you may be approached again and again once it is discovered that you are willing to take part.

There are huge number of variations on scams at the door and they are as varied as selling you flowers from someone elses garden perhaps adding piece of tissue paper to dress it up. Tarmacadam your drive for a very low price - doe not last very long before it falls apart. the most frequent of course is the use of someone in a vulnerable position - lost a limb, orphan or poor child, poor anyone etc etc. Often they are controlled by gangs and they get little or no money from the bosses running them. In the worst cases it verges on slavery and at best extremely poor money for the work involved. It is exploitation and I am afraid to say that although you may feel you are benefitting the person in front of you it is most likely you will encourage the sprwead of the scam.

Everyone must stop buying from the door to save the rest of us being pestered and the vulnEerable being ripped off.

If you want to help the needy then look for the right charity on the Injternet and make donation to an organistion set up to help the grooup of people concerned.

Bill i agree with you up to a certain point, but when you say,

"Everyone must stop buying from the door to save the rest of us being pestered and the vulnEerable being ripped off."

I have to say there was many a person that was grateful for the door to door salesman way back in the the 50's and 60's when the people of this county did not have the money to buy clothes , meat groceries etc all these men who were , black,white, english, indian,scottish, they i know kept poverty from many a home.

I know my mother used to clothe me from a guy that came round on bike with clothes and we called him "jonnie", my mam got anything she wanted and paid it up at 5-10 shillings a week, and he was a indian guy, whithout him i would have gone to school in ripped and tattered, clothes, not to mention the butcher and grocer van guys who my mum paid up every week.

I am sure there is many older people like me on this board that were glad that these heros of our time were there to feed us and clothes us.

lorr_mun14
30-Jan-06, 16:58
I had a student, with a card, at my door the week before xmas, he was selling pencil drawings, and yes, I bought one for £10! I had my two kids in the background nagging me to buy one as they felt sorry for him, little did they, or I know, at the time, he probably understood everything we said , I can't remember what I said, I hope it wasn't offensive! Anyway, I had a chap at the door of my place of work last week, he was a different guy, but he had the same card with the same writing!! It's now pretty obvious to me it's a scam, and I don't intend to be fooled again.

unicorn
03-Apr-06, 17:14
I see they are back at the doors in Springpark in Thurso, I just gave a thanks but I am not interested to one, he said you look, I said nooooo.lol

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 17:49
I see they are back at the doors in Springpark in Thurso, I just gave a thanks but I am not interested to one, he said you look, I said nooooo.lol

Lovely young lady at Dunnet Head just now. She was cold and I reckoned she deserved a tenner for making it up here.Prints are good but it's a definite scam.

landmarker
03-Apr-06, 18:27
...they must have opened a branch in Mancunia too 'cause there was one on my doorstep last week. A bloke wi' a printed card explaining some plight or other. Sadly, being skint, I had to send him on his way empty handed.
He seemed pleasant enough.

footie chick
03-Apr-06, 18:43
Polish were at doors in Halkirk and Watten today nearly bought a picture before xmas but didnt! very glad saw a gang of about 10 in Thurso the other day obviously sorting out where they were heading to next

airdlass
03-Apr-06, 18:52
Had a Russian(so she said) girl at my door here in Kincardineshire last night selling enamel brooches,russian dollies, fridge magnets etc.Don't normally buy anything but I bought a fridge magnet.

Dali
03-Apr-06, 19:00
An organised gang maybe but what were you scammed with ?
They had a picture for sale you had the choice to buy it at the price offered or not . You were not duped and the paint fell off after 2 days .
I myself would not buy from them but i am from a city originaly and people selling things looking poor was a daily thing on most streets.
Alot of them going down a back alley and changing there ripped dirty clothes for designer clothes at the end of the day .

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 19:03
Had a Russian(so she said) girl at my door here in Kincardineshire last night selling enamel brooches,russian dollies, fridge magnets etc.Don't normally buy anything but I bought a fridge magnet.

In answer to it all can be found in To a Mouse. Not sure of spelling but "A damanicker in a thrave's a sma' request, I'll get a blessing wi the lave and never missed." A wee bit in a lot is nothing and what's a tenner these days?

bingo1
03-Apr-06, 19:28
I did'nt think for one minute it was a scam, maybe i should be more careful in future. Last year i had a young girl at the door selling key rings she showed me a card with her picture on it and in big letters I am deaf, she was selling those key rings to support the deaf. Maybe this was a scam too, i'm going to stop feeling sorry for those who chap on my door selling items now. Not all door hawkers are scammers though! What about when the salvation army or british red cross come knocking at the door? are they scammers too? Yes you should be very careful and i mean very careful as there are nasty scammers out there but not everyone is like that. Maybe that wee girl at your door was gen......:grin:

unicorn
03-Apr-06, 19:38
I have not bought from them simply for the reason that I doubt the people doing the legwork and going round the doors are actually seeing very much of the money made.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 19:51
I have not bought from them simply for the reason that I doubt the people doing the legwork and going round the doors are actually seeing very much of the money made.

For those who have nothing, that little bit could mean a lot. I've been out there, penniless and hungry, and know what it's like to be desperate.

Whitewater
03-Apr-06, 23:23
I have had them at the door twice now in about 8 wks. Never bought anything as I didn't fancy the pictures. My neighbour bought a picture of a horse and is very pleased with it.

I have heard that it is a scam, difficult to say for sure though. They were not pushy, and very polite on both occasions, had they had something we liked we would have probably bought it.

ice box
03-Apr-06, 23:56
i just ask them if i buy something can i have a receipt for tax purposes and they cant produce one so i say no thanks and of they go .

alice
04-Apr-06, 21:29
There was one bloke on his own going around Thrumster last saturday. He came into the pub to see if anyone would buy one of his drawings, but on looking closer they are prints which are only signed in pencil by himself, he was asking £10 for one or £15 for two. Although they were admired no purchases were made and he left and went round a lot of the houses in the village then. He made me feel quite guilty for not purchasing but I'd no need and although liked them not quite what I would hang on my walls.

Fran
05-Apr-06, 00:00
a young polish lad was at my door selling black and white drawings for £10 each. Said he had drawn them himself and it was his dog in the picture but it was obvious the drawings were printed, probably hundreds of them going around. i didn'y buy one but i did feel sorry for the lad.:~(

Loafer
05-Apr-06, 18:37
I had a Pole called Dariusz at the door last night wanting to sell pictures for £10 each. He stuck a card at me as he couldn't speak English. I turned him down, but felt an older person could easily have been intimidated by him.

This is all false about needing to feed his family. I have seen it all before in London and Glasgow. We don't need this nonsense up here.

The Loafer

tommy1979
05-Apr-06, 20:32
hmmm this sounds very familiar...looks like they finaly made their way all the way up here fae dumfries lol :lol:

http://www.dumfriesandgalloway.police.uk/news/02_feb/06_0100.pdf

AR
05-Apr-06, 20:39
I had one of them at my door yesterday.The guy shoved a card in my face, I just said no thanks.He started having a gurn, nothing in english,it was like a mumble of some description.His drawings which he shoved in front of me looked like they could be prints.

connieb19
05-Apr-06, 21:08
I hope they don't come to my door, I'm too soft, I'd probably not like to say no...[para]

teritoots
05-Apr-06, 21:26
There are definately prints as I had a girl at the door 2 nights ago same story poor student and showing me pics and i recognised one as a picture my pal had got as a xmas present :lol: :lol: :lol:
So i asked her if they are original... cause they are obviviously not.... "Oh yes they all original" she says so told her to get packing cause i can prove they are not! Her story quickly changed but I sent her on her way [evil] !

Fran
05-Apr-06, 23:26
My mother knew stakis, the late hotel empire owner. she told me he started off as a door to door salesman selling out of a bag, or on ships selling to passengers........and look where he got to.
also didn't the late Bashir Ahmed start off the same way selling door to door many years ago before starting his shops business.

katarina
07-Apr-06, 20:44
I hope they don't come to my door, I'm too soft, I'd probably not like to say no...[para]
I said this before and I'll say it again. If they are so poor, how can they afford to travel to Britain? Where do they stay? All that money they use that they could (a) pay for the education (one story)
(B) feed their families. (2nd Story)
Of course you don't ask them because they say they can't speak english. Imagin how difficult it would be for some one to travel, get lodgings etc. and make money with no english whatsoever?
I was caught out last year because ifelt sorry for the lad. My daughter's fiance was caught out his year, and boughtthe same pencil drawing, obviously a print, for the same reason.

Bikerboy
07-Apr-06, 21:18
Yes, I have a young girl at my house in Mey selling pictures. She seemed to be alone, in the cold, late at night and in the middle of nowhere. Very odd.

Ash
24-Nov-07, 20:50
was at my parents tonight for dinner, and a foreign woman was at the door, handed her a note about selling pictures to find her way to college

seemed abit strange, but when i told my mum to say no she mentioned an ID and spoke pretty perfectly :confused

johno
24-Nov-07, 21:00
was at my parents tonight for dinner, and a foreign woman was at the door, handed her a note about selling pictures to find her way to college

seemed abit strange, but when i told my mum to say no she mentioned an ID and spoke pretty perfectly :confused
could be a scam but if the pictures were worth what you were willing to pay for them [ if you wanted them] well it would be how you felt about it. easy enough to say no thank you.:cool:

Ash
24-Nov-07, 21:06
just think its strange, my mum felt abit sorry for her, but i kinda felt why should we help fund her through college, i sound mean i know

sam
24-Nov-07, 21:15
personally i would prefer to help pay to put someone through college, who is trying to help themselves, than fork out for someone who just expects the state to hand it to them on a plate.
As Johno said " you can always say no thank you "

golach
24-Nov-07, 21:41
This is not new see this thread
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=6334&highlight=selling+paintings

Ash
24-Nov-07, 21:44
im glad my parents never gave out money after reading the link that was posted

vwchick
24-Nov-07, 22:52
Had a gentleman this afternoon offering to sell me prints from a carrier bag. His wee note said that he was Polish and that he had a problem with his hand. The note said that he was not "having enough protein". I did not have money at the time, i felt bad, it is a horrible situation.

mums angels
24-Nov-07, 22:54
i recently had a young foreign lad at the door selling paintings that he had done...hubby and i bought a few but insisted in keeping frames and wrote a cheque ...never had a problem and ended up with some very nice pics....:)

had a woman come to door more recently with a note that she was deaf etc and she was selling little decorated boxes ..she was selling them for a fortune so we didn't bother, i wouldn't buy just because i felt sorry for them only if they had something i was interested in .

sms
24-Nov-07, 23:00
When i was at my parents a woman came to the door selling pictures with a note canna mind what it said though, we bought one of the pictures it was of a girl and a dog and it looked lovely we have it in a frame now. Everyone feels different about giving people money like that but at least they are trying unlike some who sit on their asses all day getting money from the social.

Scunner
24-Nov-07, 23:22
Had a young female at the door this morning. She was carring a highly coloured carrier type bag, and whe handed me a white tile with blue writing that began 'I am a student .................' Didnt read any more but didnt feel the need to buy anything, and I didnt feel the least guilty. She didnt go to all the houses in the street, just a few.

thebigman
25-Nov-07, 02:54
Can't see how anyone could think this was a scam when you can see what you're buying.

Now if they'd asked for you credit card details ......

Ash
25-Nov-07, 10:34
scam was the young word to use, it just seemed abit weird, like others have said she was dressed very nicely, prob staying in a b&b or hotel, why come to thurso

sms
25-Nov-07, 11:11
My parents live in wick, so theres prob a few of them and some went to thurso and some to Wick. I dont think it was a scam as said before they didnt ask for our name or card details we just gave them cash and got a lovely picture in return.

sam
25-Nov-07, 11:12
why not come to thurso? you could just say then why should she go anywhere other than where she was born.:confused

cuddlepop
25-Nov-07, 11:21
A polish woman was going round the houses in Portree yesterday selling pictures.
You could say why come to Skye:confused

Ash
25-Nov-07, 11:40
i just found it strange, if she had a charity badge and number then we may have considered it, but like others on the other thread said the pictures arent originals and there is more than one of them going around, all with the same pictures...........

mums angels
25-Nov-07, 14:23
i'm not really bothered about weather or not they are originals or not ( they were just lovley oil paintings) , the people i had at my door never said they were one of a kind . i could go into a local store that sells pictures and pay 4 times as much and they arn't originals either.

the lad i bought the pics for had to phone his proffesor to ask if he could take a cheque etc and the poor lad only gets 20% of what he makes( and hubby didn't even pay the starting price he asked for) ... i was happy that he was pleased that we bought a few pics but like i said earlier i wouldn't buy just because i felt sorry for soemone or if it was for charity ..

Bananas
25-Nov-07, 17:16
It could just be that the eastern Europeans who come over here, might just be that they are more enterprising than us Brits. We do not seem to want change and are wary of anything new.

They can’t all be crooks!

I think just being careful, no giving them any crucial info and keeping them on the doorstep is prudent.
This new enlightened attitude comes after the day I received a phone call offering me insurance to cover me for ‘broken bones’ etc which on reflection seemed a good way of telling me to be more polite to callers!

unicorn
25-Nov-07, 17:28
I would rather have someone come to my door selling me something nice that I may want, than someone doing surveys wanting my personal details, or trying to get me to give ONLY £20 a month to charity or someone trying to convert me to their religion.

divanp75
28-Nov-07, 18:25
scam or no scam I am not very happy

Came home tonight and my granny told me that a polish woman forced her way in the door asking for money. Yes the paper she was pushing at my Gran said something about something but the only bit that she was pushing was MONEY. Dont think my Gran even got a look at the painting as she was to busy trying to get the woman out of the house. Lock your door or they just walk in. Luckly my Gran is not alone in the day as my Brother is home but Gran (80) was quite shaken

If they come back I will be reporting them to the police.

Ash
28-Nov-07, 18:32
hey i hope your gran is ok, its awful, when the polish student came to my parents i found it all abit strange

John Baikie
28-Nov-07, 21:56
Surely if you can see the product you can decide whether to spend the money or not?? These people are trying to make money, so what? Take it or leave it.
I just spent a week in Poland and met some amazing people, and they never made me feel like I was different for being Scottish, despite the obvious cultural differences. I know a few Polsih people in Scotland and they are as nice as anybody I have ever met here. Too many people making small minded judgements on people based on nationality. Quite sad really.

katarina
28-Nov-07, 22:02
If you're happy with what you buy, then that's fine. I have had a few and none have tried to force an entry, thats just not on! I doubt though that they are what they say they are. If they are so poor, how can they afford to travel the country, and where do they stay?

Ash
28-Nov-07, 22:11
Surely if you can see the product you can decide whether to spend the money or not?? These people are trying to make money, so what? Take it or leave it.
I just spent a week in Poland and met some amazing people, and they never made me feel like I was different for being Scottish, despite the obvious cultural differences. I know a few Polsih people in Scotland and they are as nice as anybody I have ever met here. Too many people making small minded judgements on people based on nationality. Quite sad really.

what do you expect people to think when they force there way in to your home, the fact there is soo many of them and there all saying the same thing

John Baikie
28-Nov-07, 23:47
If someone forces their way into your home phone the police. Simple?

divanp75
29-Nov-07, 00:04
If someone forces their way into your home phone the police. Simple

That is very easy for you to say as you I am sure are not an 80 year old woman.........

Please note that I bear no ill will to people that wish to sell items for what ever reason and it matters nothing what country / colour / religion etc etc they are. But this incident unnerved my Gran which is my only complaint

SandTiger
29-Nov-07, 01:30
what do you expect people to think when they force there way in to your home, the fact there is soo many of them and there all saying the same thing

What are they all saying? :confused

Ash
29-Nov-07, 08:30
they all need money for studying

when i told my mum to say no the "student at the door" spoke very well for someone who couldnt talk english, as she wanted money

Julia
29-Nov-07, 18:27
I'm really annoyed, I heard a knock at my door just then and by the time I went to answer the guy was already trying the door handle to see if the door was unlocked, he jumped back when he saw me through the glass! [evil]

If he was a polish student then he was the oldest student I've ever seen.

I challenged him to why he was trying to open my door, did not understand his excuse so I shut the door in his face.

unicorn
29-Nov-07, 18:49
Have you phoned the police to report it? It is one thing to be selling things but absolutely not on to try to enter someones house unauthorised.

braalterr903
29-Nov-07, 19:00
i had that lady on sunday and she walked in my house and wasent very nice so i told her to get out off my house.

braalterr903
29-Nov-07, 19:04
yes i did and they said they were putting a police car out to see who she was but i never say police yet she did same to my friend and my sister.

unicorn
29-Nov-07, 19:05
The more people who report it the better I would think.

braalterr903
29-Nov-07, 19:14
yes i would say so.i know after i phoned police she was still going to houses a half hour after that i dont think she was a student very old looking i looked my door after i got her out.

unicorn
29-Nov-07, 19:15
I think had someone just walked into my house that I didn't know and tried to sell me something I would be liable to be done for assault with the nearest thing at hand :eek:

thebigman
29-Nov-07, 20:13
When I was a lot younger I used to sell rolls, tattie scones and cream round the doors, fortunately this was in the glasgow area not caithness otherwise I'd never have made any money :-)

freyalass
29-Nov-07, 20:27
They are in Lybster tonight!

starry
29-Nov-07, 20:35
If I thought they were getting 100% of the money and it wasn't going to someone over seeing the whole thing then I would buy or even just give them something.

If anyone walked into my house and intimidated me or one of my relatives then I would phone the police.

braalterr903
29-Nov-07, 21:22
no stranger should walk in anyones house i dont think much off police not coming out to see who it was.

vodka-queen
30-Nov-07, 00:31
must be around a week ago now but we had a very nice fluient speaking nice young lady selling painting at £5 very chatted and good mannered i must say

braalterr903
30-Nov-07, 08:50
she wasent like that with me my friend or my sister she wasent nice very nasty person that wy i phoned police.

POUNDIT
30-Nov-07, 11:46
I admire people who try to make money whatever they do as long as its within the law.Nothing wrong with making some pennies it wouldna be worth their while to regisiter as being self employed for that.There are plenty of people who dont get out of bed in the morning who are perfectly capable.Why dont they try and earn some pennies like that instead of signing on the whole time.

Penelope Pitstop
30-Nov-07, 11:58
I can see where you are coming from...they are at least trying to support themselves...unlike some.

I do feel for the older/vulnerable folk who's door they may call upon. It's OK if it's during daylight hours and they are pleasant when they call. But if it's getting dark and they are pushy...that could be intimidating and scarey for them.

Rourkee
30-Nov-07, 13:13
A bloke wearing a santa hat appeared at my door last night in Wick trying to sell pictures. I politely declined and off he went, no hassle.

karia
30-Nov-07, 13:23
This happens everywhere and with many nationalities. The guy who came to my door was French.

I am a bit concerned that the focus of this thread is purely on the Polish...if they were all Polish then Warsaw would be empty!

Karia

neepnipper
30-Nov-07, 14:16
The guy in the Santa hat was in Auckengill today, saw him coming up the road, I had 5 of my dogs playing outside so when he started to open the gate I shouted for him not to and to wait for me to come over but he still opened the gate and came in, my dogs wouldn't hurt a fly but 2 of them ran over to say 'hello' and one jumped up at him making his white shirt dirty! He brushed himself off and made a hasty exit!

donnasmithy27
30-Nov-07, 16:51
A older bloke wearing a santa hat appeared at my door just now in Thurso, handed me a card telling me he was selling pictures to make his money for collage so he's making his way round Springpark, I declined and off he went, no bother,never even spoke :)

nikki
30-Nov-07, 17:33
Like many others have said, if they were so poor then how did they pay to travel here and for accomidation. It also seem like its the people who say they cant speak english and that they are selling originals that are selling the prints, and the english speaking people who are not selling prints.
Me thinks that theres some manipulative meanie at the root of this.

kas
30-Nov-07, 18:39
I have also heard of them trying to walk into peoples homes this week. It sounds as if there is quite a few of them working the county this week.

I wonder how much of their money is being declared to the taxman??
None I expect.

braalterr903
30-Nov-07, 19:01
It Shows Police Havent Done Anything About Them Walking In To Houses If They Are Still On Their Rounds

percy toboggan
30-Nov-07, 19:13
If a Pole walked into my house uninvited he'd get short shrift.
Don't buy their tripe pictures either.I've seen 'em and they have little sens eof perspective or originality.
The only polish I'm interested in will help me buff up the bonnet off the auld audi.
I've nowt agin the Polish, but too many have arrived in too short a space of time. Simple. If you disagree then I'm afraid you are naive, or stupid.

karia
30-Nov-07, 19:24
If you disagree then I'm afraid you are naive, or stupid.

Not much of a discussion there then Percy...

either we agree you are right or we are naive or stupid.:confused

How lucky that we have you to guide us through this complicated world!:lol:

karia

unicorn
30-Nov-07, 19:29
I don't have a problem with them trying to earn some money, but lord help them if they just walk into my house [evil]

percy toboggan
30-Nov-07, 19:34
Not much of a discussion there then Percy...

either we agree you are right or we are naive or stupid.:confused

karia

That's right. I'm usually open to debate but the problems of unfettered post 2004 A8 immigration are staring many of us in in the face. Those who choose to think otherwise well, if the cap fits, feel free to don it.

sam
30-Nov-07, 19:36
It never cease's to amaze me how much the polish come under fire on this site for one thing or another, fair enough there are some out there trying to make a few extra pound, but is it any different to the asian guy who owns the local corner shop, or the chinese guy who owns the local take - away, or the english man who lives here and runs a local business.
If your not happy with them coming to your door say " no thanks" and close your door its not that difficult.
Why feel the need to come one here and slag them off saying what you obviously wont say to their face's.[disgust]

karia
30-Nov-07, 19:40
I don't have a problem with them trying to earn some money, but lord help them if they just walk into my house [evil]

Agreed Unicorn and that goes for absolutely any person at any time..it is illegal entry and should be reported to the police, no question about it!

Hard to believe that with so many complaints the police are ignoring this matter!

As some of you folks have told of being quite scared .. you did all report this...didn't you?

Karia

karia
30-Nov-07, 19:50
That's right. I'm usually open to debate but the problems of unfettered post 2004 A8 immigration are staring many of us in in the face. Those who choose to think otherwise well, if the cap fits, feel free to don it.

Open to debate?....in which of your incarnations was that?:lol:

We will don the cap to keep our 'thinking brains' warm and responsive..we won't be doffing it in your direction.

Karia

zebedy
01-Dec-07, 17:49
i just bought one, dont think it really done by pencil looks like its printed, rubbed my finger on it a bitty in the corner no smudge?

dont care first christmas present bought!

braalterr903
01-Dec-07, 18:46
Idont have problem with them selling their pictures what bothered me was them walking in my house.

buggyracer
01-Dec-07, 20:16
i had a young polish man round at mine tonight asking if i would buy a pencil drawing, they looked all right lots of ones of dogs and cats etc, but i genuinely didnt have any money on me at the time, i did ask if he drew them himself, he assured me he did, i then told him i would but one if he could draw one for me of my pets from a picture, he looked worried and then said he couldnt as he was leaving tomorrow :)

i dont think he was the artist after all ;)