PDA

View Full Version : Sutherlands and Cormacks

Rachel22
28-Jan-06, 20:01
Hello,
I have only recently become a member and this is my first posting.
I am continuing with my husband's tree which was begun by his late brother and have managed to get back with definite dates to 1802. This was the birth of Benjamin Cormack, Latheron; parents were Alexander Cormack and Janet Sutherland. Alex and Janet are buried in Clyth cemetery.
My first two queries are: Where would Benjamin be buried? He died 1889 at Newlands of Clyth, aged 89yrs, and his son John was present. Also his wife, Isabella Campbell must have died between the years 1848 and 1855 aged about 32 - 38. I expect she is buried beside Benjamin.
Is there anyone who can help me with this at all, please?
Rachel

fred
28-Jan-06, 23:31
Hello,
I have only recently become a member and this is my first posting.
I am continuing with my husband's tree which was begun by his late brother and have managed to get back with definite dates to 1802. This was the birth of Benjamin Cormack, Latheron; parents were Alexander Cormack and Janet Sutherland. Alex and Janet are buried in Clyth cemetery.
My first two queries are: Where would Benjamin be buried? He died 1889 at Newlands of Clyth, aged 89yrs, and his son John was present. Also his wife, Isabella Campbell must have died between the years 1848 and 1855 aged about 32 - 38. I expect she is buried beside Benjamin.
Is there anyone who can help me with this at all, please?
Rachel
Janet Sutherland is burried at Clyth it doesn't actually say on the gravestone that Alexander Cormack is burried there though I expect he is along with Benjamin's son John and wife Catherine Sinclair. In the next grave is Henry Cormack who is almost certainly Alexander and Janets son. They are graves 7 and 6 in the Clyth section of http://www.graven-images.org.uk and in grave 70 is William Cormack who I think might be a son of Banjamin and Isabella, the ages match.

I have the 1841, 1861 and 1881 census returns for Benjamin if you haven't seen them.

Rachel22
29-Jan-06, 19:06
Fred,
Thank you very much for your reply. I had looked at the gravenimages pictures but hadn't quite worked out who might be who.
I have the 1871 and 1881 census returns for Benjamin but if you can give me others it all adds to the picture.
Can you tell me if there are other graves in Clyth that haven't been recorded on above website?
Thanks again for your help and prompt reply.
Rachel

fred
29-Jan-06, 19:56
Fred,
Thank you very much for your reply. I had looked at the gravenimages pictures but hadn't quite worked out who might be who.
I have the 1871 and 1881 census returns for Benjamin but if you can give me others it all adds to the picture.
Can you tell me if there are other graves in Clyth that haven't been recorded on above website?
Thanks again for your help and prompt reply.
Rachel
There are three that I found photos for but hadn't got the inscription for in the bottom half of the cemetery (not Cormacks) and all the top half of the cemetery missing but I don't think there's much before 1900 in the top half they are mostly very recent.

District: 8 Folio: 0 Page: 7
Address: Overtown

CORMK. / CORMACK Benjamin M 35 Farmer Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK Isabell F 25 Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK Elizibeth F 40 Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK Janet F 7 Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK Elizibeth F 5 Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK Alexrina. F 3 Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK John M 1 Caithness
CORMK. / CORMACK Hutchson M 15 Agricultural Labourer Caithness

District: 13 House: 61
Cormack Benjamin 57 Latheron
Cormack Alexanderina 21 Latheron
Cormack John 20 Latheron
Cormack Catherine 16 Latheron
Cormack Alexander 14 Latheron
Cormack Ann 12 Latheron
Cormack William 11 Latheron

Rachel22
29-Jan-06, 20:18
Fred,
Thank you so much again for taking the time to fill in these census returns. I see that I will have to start searching for daughter, Elizabeth, who is the ancestor I am following up as she is not there in 1861 and didn't marry until 1867. It's all those little things that keep you going on & on ...........!
Rachel

Beanietdc
27-Apr-06, 22:52
Fred,

Which census is your information from? It looks as though you could have some of my relatives on there and would fill in quite a few gaps if they are the right people.

Thanks

Tina

fred
28-Apr-06, 10:07
Fred,

Which census is your information from? It looks as though you could have some of my relatives on there and would fill in quite a few gaps if they are the right people.

Thanks

Tina

The top one is 1841 and the bottom from the 1861 census.