PDA

View Full Version : 12 yrs for stabbing

spurtle
08-Dec-08, 19:36
Just wondering why someone gets a lesser sentence than murder when all its doing is rewarding the perpetrator for not succeeding in what he set out to do?
You cannot stab someone 20 times and assume they will survive.How long before he gets out?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081208/tuk-life-for-jessica-attacker-dba1618.html

kitty kat
08-Dec-08, 19:47
Just wondering why someone gets a lesser sentence than murder when all its doing is rewarding the perpetrator for not succeeding in what he set out to do?
You cannot stab someone 20 times and assume they will survive.How long before he gets out? 12 years does not mean 12 years

is there a link where this story can be read ?

Boss
08-Dec-08, 20:02
You cannot stab someone 20 times and assume they will survive.How long before he gets out? 12 years does not mean 12 years

That! Dear Spurtle is a million dollar question
Unfortunately and much to my annoyance, I never understood the "why's and wherefors" in sentences such as these.

Sapphire2803
09-Dec-08, 20:44
He wasn't given 12 years, he was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 12 years. So no matter what happens he'll serve that long at the very least.

Boss
09-Dec-08, 21:14
He wasn't given 12 years, he was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 12 years. So no matter what happens he'll serve that long at the very least.

Wrong, I know of a person sentenced to Life for Murder, he pleaded manslaughter and did two and half years.

TBH
09-Dec-08, 21:24
Wrong, I know of a person sentenced to Life for Murder, he pleaded manslaughter and did two and half years.
So how does someone that stabbed another human being, 12 times, prove that they had no intent to kill?

Sapphire2803
09-Dec-08, 21:55

Was the manslaughter plea accepted on appeal?
You say he was sentenced, I think you mean accused.
It is pretty much standard procedure for a person to be charged with murder, the fact that it may be manslaughter/justifiable homicide comes out in court and then the person will be offered a plea. As long as the system is not abused, it works well.