PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Youth Parliament

DrSzin
28-Jan-06, 17:02
I'd like to learn something about the Scottish Youth Parliament. Perhaps robin170491 could tell us something about it.

How do you get elected? How long do you "serve" for? How often does the parliament meet? What goes on there? What do you hope to achieve?

I took a look at the parliament's website but I didn't find too much information there.

DrSzin
03-Feb-06, 17:19
Robin, is there any chance you could respond to this? I took another look at the SYP website, but it's a bit formal and it doesn't really answer my questions above.

scotsboy
03-Feb-06, 17:24
I reckon your too old Doc!

MadPict
03-Feb-06, 17:24
http://www.scottishyouthparliament.org.uk/?location=AboutSYPDefault

or email them - info@scottishyouthparliament.org.uk

Sounds like a glorified youth club....

DrSzin
03-Feb-06, 17:40
http://www.scottishyouthparliament.org.uk/?location=AboutSYPDefaultThanks MadPict -- I somehow missed that page. :roll:

Scotsboy, I know I'm too old, and so are you. ;)

Anyway, it'd be more interesting to hear all about the SYP from an insider.

rfr10
03-Feb-06, 18:17
The Scottish Youth Parliament is linked together with YouthLink Scotland. This is a type of voulunteering work and you must fill out an application form to become a member. Alternatly, you can become a PRIMARY member of the scottish youth parliament by signing up online. To do this, you must be willing to take part in discussions on the SYP website under your Subject Committee. For each subject committee member, a campaign has been set up. You do not have to be a MSYP to post on the SYPs message boards.

The Scottish Youth Parliament does the majority of its work in 10 Subject Committees which each take responsibility for a specific area of policy. All Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (MSYPs) are members of a Subject Committee and are led by an elected Convener.

Conveners are elected by the whole SYP and take on responsibility for co-ordinating the work of their Subject Committee and become the lead spokesperson on that area. The Committee also choose a Deputy to assist the Convener.

The Secondary MSYPs meet 4 times a year and what goes on at the SYP is confidential and all members are told not to discuss anything with Non- MSYPs

If you are interested in becoming a member, click this link http://www.scottishyouthparliament.org.uk/default.aspx?location=4e28e786-7f25-46bc-8680-6a8dc93fea96

MadPict
03-Feb-06, 18:22
The Scottish Youth Parliament ............become the lead spokesperson on that area. The Committee also choose a Deputy to assist the Convener.

If you are interested in becoming a member, click this link http://www.scottishyouthparliament.org.uk/default.aspx?location=4e28e786-7f25-46bc-8680-6a8dc93fea96

Eh? Clear as mud.......

rfr10
03-Feb-06, 18:25
Eh? Clear as mud.......

Sorry but I can't really explain it in much more detail than that.

grantyg
03-Feb-06, 18:51
The Secondary MSYPs meet 4 times a year and what goes on at the SYP is confidential and all members are told not to discuss anything with Non- MSYPs

Wow so you are like a spy Robin!?

Is there a "special handshake"

MadPict
03-Feb-06, 20:15
Sorry but I can't really explain it in much more detail than that.

Sounds like a politician in the making....[lol]

connieb19
03-Feb-06, 23:31

Is there a "special handshake"I'll 2nd that..lol

angela5
03-Feb-06, 23:59

Is there a "special handshake"

I will 3rd that.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Feb-06, 00:06
There is nothing wrong Robin with being interested in politics and for someone young to have some fruitful views that you have shown that you have.But I still think granty g is right...... hee-heee

rfr10
04-Feb-06, 01:07
Well, I just do what I am told and nothing else.

Royster1911
04-Feb-06, 13:07
Its simple really. The purpose of the SYP is to explain to their members (or try to ) the fundimentals of subtraction. This will stand them in good steed for future promotion. We have x amount of £s sterling. They subtract y amount of £s sterling, leaving us close to z (ero) amount of £s sterling. Simple really.[evil]