PDA

View Full Version : At our wits end

arana negra
07-Dec-08, 15:25
poorly Scally, she has been off her legs again since yesterday evening. Just finished a 5 day course if injections on friday is having arnica tablets a day also glucosamine half tablet a day. We are waiting results of blood test and worried sick, she is obviously in some pain, feverish, basically showing most of the signs of rheumatoid arthritis. Going to vet later today. :(

binbob
07-Dec-08, 15:43
poorly Scally, she has been off her legs again since yesterday evening. Just finished a 5 day course if injections on friday is having arnica tablets a day also glucosamine half tablet a day. We are waiting results of blood test and worried sick, she is obviously in some pain, feverish, basically showing most of the signs of rheumatoid arthritis. Going to vet later today. :(

oh..i am so sorry...poor u and wee scally.i hope the vet can get to the root of the problem.please post to say how things went.hugs for scally...:(

cuddlepop
07-Dec-08, 18:14
I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better,all I can do is offer a great big hug all the way from Skye.

You are doing all you can and then some.

Take care of yourself too.

arana negra
07-Dec-08, 18:57
Been to emergency vet clinic, running high temp, swollen gland fighting an infection which she believes could be related to the tick back in August. Incubation period can be long time. 2 injections, one anti inflamatory other was antibiotic ( which will last two days) an anti inflamatory tablet for tomorrow. Due to she her own vet on Tuesday evening.

Thanks for posts.

Liz
07-Dec-08, 18:58
I am so very sorry about Scally and know how worried you must be.

I really hope that the blood tests will show what is the matter and she can be treated successfully.

I know how worried you must be and send you, Scally, much love and hugs. xxx

teenybash
07-Dec-08, 19:25
Poor Miss Scally, I've just been reading about her as I have been off line for a few weeks and she is having a time of it.
Tics are lethal and their worst work can lie undetected for some time. Let's hope the vets are onto it and help her get better real soon.
Lots of bright sparkling healing lights will circle her and see her come through........fit as a fiddle and raring to go..................:Razz

Liz
07-Dec-08, 19:29
It sounds like Scally has Lyme Disease.http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/lyme.html

I knew that humans get this from tick bites but didn't realise that animals can too. Did Scally get antibiotics when she was first bitten by the tick?

cuddlepop
07-Dec-08, 19:41
Been to emergency vet clinic, running high temp, swollen gland fighting an infection which she believes could be related to the tick back in August. Incubation period can be long time. 2 injections, one anti inflamatory other was antibiotic ( which will last two days) an anti inflamatory tablet for tomorrow. Due to she her own vet on Tuesday evening.

Thanks for posts.

I had no idea the incubation from a tick bite could be so long,nor it do so much damage.
You've a wee fighter there.:D

carasmam
08-Dec-08, 13:42
Poor Scally, how is she today? Didn't realise ticks could cause so much hassle either, little blighters.

arana negra
08-Dec-08, 15:59
Afternoon, firstly thanks to all for posting enquiries and e mails received, very welcome and very kind of you all.

Last night before bed she managed to get herself out for comfort stop and had a munch on her dry food. She slept fairly well and today is mobile again, not perfect but mobile. The anti inflamatory injection always puts her back on her feet. The antibiotic is helping she is panting less and is not feeling so hot nor drinking lots of water. She has another half anti inflamatory tablet to take tonight then vets tomorrow night for surely the results of blood test. the waiting is a nightmare ! So glad to see her up and around again and hopefully we can get to bottom of it soon.

Thanks everybody, you are a smashing lot :) you are helping me keep sane I think.

teenybash
08-Dec-08, 22:59
Hopefully Miss Scally will be fine with you loving her............I bet she has never known such tenderness.....................:)

cuddlepop
09-Dec-08, 09:38
Thinking of you both,lets hope there's light at the end of your very dark tunnel today.:)

anneoctober
09-Dec-08, 14:29
Afternoon, firstly thanks to all for posting enquiries and e mails received, very welcome and very kind of you all.

Last night before bed she managed to get herself out for comfort stop and had a munch on her dry food. She slept fairly well and today is mobile again, not perfect but mobile. The anti inflamatory injection always puts her back on her feet. The antibiotic is helping she is panting less and is not feeling so hot nor drinking lots of water. She has another half anti inflamatory tablet to take tonight then vets tomorrow night for surely the results of blood test. the waiting is a nightmare ! So glad to see her up and around again and hopefully we can get to bottom of it soon.

Thanks everybody, you are a smashing lot :) you are helping me keep sane I think.
Ben is keeping his paws crossed for Scally ;) Chin up wifie, Anne xxx

arana negra
09-Dec-08, 19:19
Good evening and again many many thanks to all for e malis concern and support.

Been to vets and from what we can gather blood test results show negative for Lymes :) and nothing else to worry about :)

The vet has decided on a weeks course of antibiotics and return visit next Monday, if she shows no signs of lameness in that time then possibly a month on antibiotics.

He seems to have come back to our first suggestion that this is connected to the tick bite she had in August !

I hope we are on the right track now, she is full of beans tonight, a job to keeping her from running around like a mad yin :D

Time will tell.

Thanks

Val x

teenybash
09-Dec-08, 19:24
Good news for you and Miss Scally that she is negative for Lymes. It will probably be a case of whatever works for her to keep the inflamation at bay and clearing her system through anti biotics. Really good news she is on form and skipping around enjoying life.........:Razz

Liz
09-Dec-08, 19:30
I am delighted to hear that it is not Lyme Disease. Wonder what it is though?
Not sure what else could be caused by a Tick bite unless it is an infection?

Here's hoping that the antibiotics will clear this up completely and she will continue to improve.
If she will take live yogurt it would be a good idea to give her this (away from the antibiotics)as this will replace the good bacteria which the antibiotics kill off.

It would be a lovely Christmas present to have Miss Scally healthy! Hugs and love to you both. xxx

cuddlepop
09-Dec-08, 20:13
Thats great news.
Glad its not Lymes but what ever it its its nasty.Here.s hoping your vet has got on top of the inflamation and the antibiotics are clearing any infection.
Take care of yourself too.:D

Anne x
09-Dec-08, 23:56
great news at last something positive

arana negra
15-Dec-08, 21:12
Well just been to vets this evening, Scally has had a week on antibiotics. She will stay on them for a month (along with gluosamine) with weekly visits to moniter her. He seems a bit at a loss, he mentioned the possiblity of a fairly rare virus she could have got as a pup, said no when asked if possibly Leshmania.

She seems very happy in herself, fever seems to have gone. No further forward in indentifying whats wrong though and she is still having mobility problems.

cuddlepop
15-Dec-08, 21:47
Like humans I would imagine animals will pick up all sorts of viruses.
At least on the antibiotics things are improving.
Fingers still crossed for you both.:D

arana negra
19-Dec-08, 11:09
Latest update on Scally .... just over a week on daily antibiotic she was none better, her lameness was quite bad. Back legs going under her when trying to walk, also the front leg again. We were worried about her lack of mobility so asked the vet about anti inflamatory tablets, to be administered only to keep her on all legs. he was not too keen, he wants to watch the effects of antibiotic only, which is fair enough but Scally was going of her legs in the meantime. The anti inflamatory worked a treat she was back on her legs before bedtime. We didn't give her any yestreday and a 1/4 this morning. We will moniter her daily and give only if needed.

teenybash
19-Dec-08, 13:09
Arana, have you ever considered trying Miss Scally on green lipped muscle which you can buy as a food addative. It is natural and gives amazing results. I don't understand why the vet is concentrating only on anti biotics and not the overall comfort of Miss Scally.
I know I have mentioned the green lipped muscle before but it is a bonafide natural anti inflamitory and pain killer and is perfectly safe for both humans and animals.
What about a magnetic bed/ collar etc..................
A big cuddle for Miss Scally and a kiss right on top of her cute little nose. Blless her.

arana negra
19-Dec-08, 14:05
Hi, she has a collar is taking arnica and glucosimine along with her antibiotic. I think the vet is trying to suss out if the antibiotic only will benefit her, he is checking her joints every week for changes. Our concern sis she meantime goes off her legs. He is not sure what it is as yet I believe.

Aye you mentioned it before and I did look at it back then, will look again thanks for reminding me. Cuddles and kisses passed on. She is so much livelier today :-)

Margaret M.
21-Dec-08, 04:12
Poor Scally, how fortunate for her that you took her in and are taking such good care of her. One of my dogs was losing strength in his back legs from time to time. He's on green lipped mussel/glucosamine tablets and the vet does accupuncture on him. This has helped him so much that he just needs an accupuncture treatment once a month now.

Liz mentioned replacing the good bacteria that gets wiped out by antibiotics. My vet recommends a daily probiotic capsule -- just an over the counter human grade one, even when they are not on antibiotics.