PDA

View Full Version : East of.......or West of?

Boss
06-Dec-08, 20:08
Everyone has heard of "the split stane", and in the local newspapers there is a column called "Beyond the Split Stane", my question is (and please forgive my ignorance), when "one" refers to "beyond the split stane" are they referring to the West or East of it?

By way of explanation, everytime I pass the Split Stane, regardless of whether going east or west, the same question springs to mind and to be honest, it's driving me mad.

:confused

oldchemist
06-Dec-08, 20:53
Recent experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (before they broke it) confirmed that Caithness is in fact the centre of the known Universe so all journeys start from here. Therefore beyond the split stane means points to the west.

Bobinovich
06-Dec-08, 21:57
Do you, by any chance, have a link to a website with those results OC? I have no reason to disbelieve that they've come to that conclusion - I've known that for many years now!

Boss
07-Dec-08, 12:53
Recent experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (before they broke it) confirmed that Caithness is in fact the centre of the known Universe so all journeys start from here. Therefore beyond the split stane means points to the west.

Thank you for your comment, I think?
so by my way of thinking, west is Sutherland, yes? :)

Dog-eared
07-Dec-08, 15:20
The bloke who writes "Beyond the Split Stone " lives West of it, does he not ????
Therefore beyond , from where he is , is East !! :lol::lol:

domino
07-Dec-08, 21:24
For the un-enlightened. What and where is the split stane?

Boss
07-Dec-08, 21:32
For the un-enlightened. What and where is the split stane?

Am, assuming that it is the rather large boulder with a split in it between Melvich and Reay,

r.rackstraw
07-Dec-08, 23:20
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/494012 shows a photo of the split stone.

trix
08-Dec-08, 01:44
i think 'ats where a few grogochs hang aboot....

a grogoch is an irish fairy.

Oddquine
08-Dec-08, 01:46
Why would Irish fairies be hanging out in the north of Scotland, Trix?

Don't we have any Scottish ones?

My male offspring thinks that Caithness was the Garden of Eden because everyone appears to be related to everyone else......which you'd expect if humanity started with one family........and if we are the centre of the known universe......then he may well be right.

Aaldtimer
08-Dec-08, 03:48
Isn't the name of the newspaper feature "From beyond the Split Stane" ?
so it would be Mr. Sandison's view of life from Sutherland.
The thing I remember about the Splite Stane, is that is where the kind folk of Caithness gave relief and assistance to the folk who had been "cleared" fom the glens of Sutherland. :confused

trix
08-Dec-08, 19:00
Why would Irish fairies be hanging out in the north of Scotland, Trix?
Don't we have any Scottish ones?

yeah sure we do, plenty...but alot o' years ago a few grogochs came over on a boat, an hev kinda got stuck here....

they're really hairy an dirty an they da lek lazy fowlk. they'l jump on yer bied if they feel ye'v over slept an' they play tricks aboot 'e hoose an hide things on ye...they are little 'brats' lek [evil]

My male offspring thinks that Caithness was the Garden of Eden because everyone appears to be related to everyone else......which you'd expect if humanity started with one family........and if we are the centre of the known universe......then he may well be right.

cool. are we startin 'e whole adam an eve thing again? :lol:

i da believe 'e whole thing but if i ever come across eve in ma day il be gien her more than a lug bashin....for no listenin til her man when he telt her da eit fie 'e tree o' wisdom.....period pains an child birth!? tut tut....

which emphasises ma point again aboot 'e whole thing really....wemen are never wrong....!!!

so how can 'at be????

ma conclusion is that 'at wis 'e church's way o' blamin 'e wemin for all 'e wrong doin in 'e world, so that 'e men wid come oot on top an us chicks, would be 2nd class citizens.

different days now girlys ;)

at least we da hev til make up fairy stories til show who's really 'e boss - it usually disna take a man long til figure 'at oot for themsels - unless they are in denial, which, face it girls.....dis happen - lol