PDA

View Full Version : USB wireless G for windows Vista 64bit

millwood
05-Dec-08, 21:32
I am running a 64bit system with windows vista. Unfortunately it didnt come with ( or rather I didn't ask for) a wireless card so I have to connect to my router with a plug in. I then discovered that unless the drivers for the USB are digitally signed by microsoft , they cannot be loaded on a 64bit system , and I cant find any that are. Is there anyone who knows a way round this. Thanks

Ricco
05-Dec-08, 22:17
I am running a 64bit system with windows vista. Unfortunately it didnt come with ( or rather I didn't ask for) a wireless card so I have to connect to my router with a plug in. I then discovered that unless the drivers for the USB are digitally signed by microsoft , they cannot be loaded on a 64bit system , and I cant find any that are. Is there anyone who knows a way round this. Thanks

Having just had to buy a new wireless router 'cos my old one died, I can say that you can click ignore anad go ahead and use the drivers any way. Netgear actually included an addenda sheet to that effect. Their drivers are currently being assessed for secure signature.

blueivy
05-Dec-08, 22:54

See here http://www.mstalkonline.com/vista-install-unsigned-hardware-driver-in-x64-bit/ - be sure to note the third comment on that page too.

blueivy
05-Dec-08, 22:55
Having just had to buy a new wireless router 'cos my old one died, I can say that you can click ignore anad go ahead and use the drivers any way.

Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit don't work the same way in that respect. While you can ignore the drivers for Vista 32 bit (and XP 32/64) you can't do it for Vista x64 - there is no option to do it. Drivers for Vista x64 MUST be signed or they won't install (unless you use a workaround such as the one above).

millwood
06-Dec-08, 22:21
thats what I found. Thanks for the replies Ricco and Blue Ivy. Back to the drawing board , I guess.

millwood
06-Dec-08, 22:25
See here http://www.mstalkonline.com/vista-install-unsigned-hardware-driver-in-x64-bit/ - be sure to note the third comment on that page too.

Read the article. Thanks Blue Ivy. I will try this and let you know how I get on .