PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Grinding aka Bruxism

Julia
04-Dec-08, 22:28
I've always been a teeth grinder but lately I've been terrible, I wake up with my jaws firmly clamped together and it's a real effort (and painful) to unclench my teeth, does anybody else suffer from this problem?

It's known medically as 'bruxism' (thank you Google), any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated from fellow sufferers.

erli
04-Dec-08, 22:51
How about a tooth guard thingy like Boxers use.

LMS
04-Dec-08, 22:53
It is thought that teeth grinding happens when you have a lot on your mind before going to bed. Try writing things down on a notepad beside your bed, for example a 'To Do' list for the morning. If anything then crops up in your sleep, write it down if you waken.

I saw the dentist at Raigmore for the same problem and he suggested the above and also gave me a horrible plastic toothguard. I used the notepad and never needed the toothguard, thank goodness!

Liz
04-Dec-08, 23:40
I grind my teeth in my sleep and it gives me a painful jaw.:confused

I have had various mouthguards,including from Dentists, and they do work. At the moment I have one I got from www.dentalhygiene.com and it is really good and was inexpensive.

I also have an hypnosis CD so am hoping this will work and I won't need the mouthguard.

Liz
04-Dec-08, 23:42
Sorry! I gave the wrong website address. It's http://www.mydentalhygiene.com/Mouthguard.htm

NLP
05-Dec-08, 00:17
I also grind my teeth, lately I'm finding my jaw painful most of the day, tried the mouthguard from the dentist (many years ago, no longer have a dentist so more guard) they do work. I'm going to try the site Liz used.

Kevin Milkins
05-Dec-08, 00:26
It is thought that teeth grinding happens when you have a lot on your mind before going to bed. Try writing things down on a notepad beside your bed, for example a 'To Do' list for the morning. If anything then crops up in your sleep, write it down if you waken.

I saw the dentist at Raigmore for the same problem and he suggested the above and also gave me a horrible plastic toothguard. I used the notepad and never needed the toothguard, thank goodness!

What do notepad's tase like?:confused

TBH
05-Dec-08, 00:30
What do notepad's tase like?:confusedFantastic Kevin.http://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl.gif

wifie
05-Dec-08, 00:35

Fantastic Kevin.http://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl.gif

You two are rotten - it sounds sore! Obviously not much goin on in yer minds to need a notebook! :Razz

Kevin Milkins
05-Dec-08, 01:09
Please forgive me as I have had a glass of wine and it puts a stupid slant on humour.:confused

When I have a look on the org in the morning I will be convinced that Casper has been looking over my shoulder and remembered my log-in and has been posting nonsence to get me in bother.:eek:

LMS
05-Dec-08, 10:37

Try soaking it in sherry or mulled wine for a seasonal twist, otherwise gin works a treat!

wifie
05-Dec-08, 15:23
Try soaking it in sherry or mulled wine for a seasonal twist, otherwise gin works a treat!
Now yer notebooks sound very festive! [lol]

TBH
05-Dec-08, 15:34
Try soaking it in sherry or mulled wine for a seasonal twist, otherwise gin works a treat!Just something more to Mull over, don't fall for it Kevin.

justine
05-Dec-08, 17:47
is teeth grinding at night not supposed to be a sign of stress.Maybe you could position yourself comfortably on the floor and do breathing exersices to relieve it before bedtime, it has been said to help with the clenching that you do at night.;) or you could just try putting raisins between them to eleviate the pressure.

Liz
05-Dec-08, 19:02
Don't know whether this will work but may be worth a try. http://www.curebruxism.com/

babybunt
05-Dec-08, 21:20
I am a dental nurse and you should wear a mouthguard during the night to stop clenching/grinding at night. It's quite important as grinding can damage your teeth. Best to get one made from your dentist as it will fit properly, thats it you have a dentist.......? I know a lot of people dont!

Liz
05-Dec-08, 23:43
I am a dental nurse and you should wear a mouthguard during the night to stop clenching/grinding at night. It's quite important as grinding can damage your teeth. Best to get one made from your dentist as it will fit properly, thats it you have a dentist.......? I know a lot of people dont!

Do you know how much custom made mouthguards cost?

Ricco
06-Dec-08, 09:59
Hmmm, I try to clench my teeth (not grind them, though) at night because I find it stops me snoring. :eek:

Julia
06-Dec-08, 19:22
I've ordered a boil & bite mouth guard as a temporary measure, I used to have a custom made one from the Dentist but it's too old and does not fit right anymore, I'm lucky enough to have a dentist so I will have to see about getting another one made.

Thanks for all helpful suggestions! :D