PDA

View Full Version : greyhound pup

dirtywicker
04-Dec-08, 00:21
hi dont know if this is the right place to post or not,
im looking for a greyhoung dog,
been wanting one for ages & the oh has finnaly agreed:D
can any one help,doesnt have to be a pup maybe a year or 2 old?
thanks

Tilter
04-Dec-08, 01:02
HI,
Our son has two greyhounds - both ex-racers. They were obtained from a greyhound rescue organisation, of which there are, sadly, quite a few around - just Google them. His are both lovely laid-back dogs - he got one when it was 6 and the other when it was 3 (guess that one couldn't run fast enough). These dogs are often just dumped when they are no longer fit to race or don't make the grade to begin with.

Good luck.

dousslesh
04-Dec-08, 10:32
Please take a look at the Greyhound rescue site. There are some beautiful dogs looking for homes. They make great pets, do really well in family situations and don't need a great deal of exercise- no more than the average dog.
I have read some wonderful stories posted by people who have adopted these dogs - It makes your heart melt !
Please, please, please consider giving one of these dogs a loving home ; many end their days in rescue kennels where they are well looked after but do not ever experience a loving home environment. Those in rescue are the really lucky ones some of these dogs are 'disposed of ' without a second thought :~( so sad; such beautiful natured, gentle dogs.

newpark
04-Dec-08, 12:27
Balmore had a few lovely ones on their website.

skinnydog
04-Dec-08, 13:22
I can't recommend getting a greyhound enough!! They are the most quiet, affectionate, lazy dogs going. So easy to keep, they are clean in the house and as long as you have your central heating on and a comfy bed they will reward you with their undivided love and affection.

Do try Balmore, even if there is nothing there that takes your fancy get them to see if there is anything in the Inverness Centre.

My only peice of advise, certainly going from experience, just watch out if your neighbours have a cat or a rabbit!!

unicorn
04-Dec-08, 14:28
Dont forget whippets they are fantastic too :D

Tilter
04-Dec-08, 15:11
Dont forget whippets they are fantastic too :D

And lurchers. There are a couple at Balmore at http://www.scottishspca.org/rehoming/category/dogs/centre/4_caithness-sutherland

dirtywicker
04-Dec-08, 15:20
thanks for all the replies
my grandad has kept greyhounds for years
my favourite was a black & white 1 :D
so i know theyr great pets
hopefully ill be getting one soon:D
any1 know of any please pm me
thanks

majic
08-Dec-08, 20:09
we tried to get a dog from the greyhound trust but they wouldn`t let us have one because there are no "home checkers" in caithness, we asked if they would take a reference from the vet but they wouldn`t. So we went on the internet and looked up all the trainers that we could and started to phone them. We left messages so they would phone us if they had a dog that they were retiring and we finally got a call from a guy in lancashire. so we went down and got a 2 year old dog, we still have his number if you would like or maybe thats too far for you to go.

Tilter
09-Dec-08, 00:32
Majic,
I think most rescue outfits will accept a home check done by a local rescue organisation. I know Caithness Labrador Rescue has done one for us which has been accepted by a rescue organisation further south.

BalmoreSSPCA
09-Dec-08, 00:39
The SSPCA have been asked by several Breed rescues to carry out home checks on their behalf. Your local Inspector will be more than willing to carry out a home check for any other charity or organisation.

Fran
09-Dec-08, 04:13
I have had 2 greyhounds and both got on well with the cat or cats I had at the time, plus two young children. They are such loving creatures and dont really need much walking. They like their comfort!!!