PDA

View Full Version : Isp

Connor.
03-Dec-08, 22:57
I posted this in here as i thought i would get the best response.

I am currently with VirginMedia on a 2MB line which isn't really living up to it's actual speed(you never get full speed but you know what i mean). I am paying £17.99 a month for it which I find is well overpriced.

I was wondering what the best ISP is for up here? I am looking for both speed and price not to mention reliability. I also want one that will not freak out from my downloads :evil[lol]

What ISP's have you all got, what are your opinions?

Kodiak
03-Dec-08, 23:10
Acording to the Gadget Show the only ISP that will give you a Genuine Unlimited Download is SKY with their Premium Package.

I am with Orange and I am happy with them at present. I joined this a Long time ago when it was freeserve and I got an amazing package then, (it is no longer available), and I do get Unlimited Downloads. If I did decide to change I would lose this package and would never get it back so for now I am sticking with Orange.

My Son is with Plusnet and he says that is the best ISP, here is a link to them for you to have a look.

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/alt_bbyw_pro.shtml

Tugmistress
03-Dec-08, 23:12
I use BT, i have the unlimited package as i upload every 2 minutes 24/7 very reliable, not sure on price though as i pay for phone and BB togather at £36 per month.

Gizmo
04-Dec-08, 01:31
Have a look at this website before you do anything.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

Kodiak mentioned Plusnet as being good, i have used them in the past and they were pretty much one of the worst ISP's to deal with, the worst i ever used was Virgin, they were just shocking in every way.

I currently use Freeola which is part of the Entanet Group, absolutely fantastic ISP, for £24.99 a month you get an up to 8meg connection, 30gb peak hours allowance (8am-10pm mon/fri) and 270gb off-peak allowance (10pm-8am mon/fri & 10pm fri to 8am mon), if you go over your allowance then you have to pay 50p per Gig, i am a very heavy user and i have only gone over my peak time allowance twice in the last year, their customer service is superb and their speed is always excellent, they might not be the cheapest ISP available but the service they provide is worth every penny.

TRUCKER
04-Dec-08, 06:14
I am the same as you kodiak got a good deal with orange/freeserve so would lose out if i shifted providers have had no problems with orange.

brokencross
04-Dec-08, 08:12
I am with the cable company Virginmedia 2mb and it does fine for my requirements; I don't do any fancy music or media downloading just a basic surfer. Don't know where you live, might have something to do with it.

jimbews
04-Dec-08, 14:18
Have a look at this website before you do anything.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

Kodiak mentioned Plusnet as being good, i have used them in the past and they were pretty much one of the worst ISP's to deal with, the worst i ever used was Virgin, they were just shocking in every way.

I currently use Freeola which is part of the Entanet Group, absolutely fantastic ISP, for £24.99 a month you get an up to 8meg connection, 30gb peak hours allowance (8am-10pm mon/fri) and 270gb off-peak allowance (10pm-8am mon/fri & 10pm fri to 8am mon), if you go over your allowance then you have to pay 50p per Gig, i am a very heavy user and i have only gone over my peak time allowance twice in the last year, their customer service is superb and their speed is always excellent, they might not be the cheapest ISP available but the service they provide is worth every penny.

I also based my decision on this website, and went for ADSL24 (also part of EntaNet).

I get connection speeds of over 7mb and also 30Gb limit during peak hours.
£19.99 per month.

Can't say what ADSL24 support is like because I've never needed it!

Before that I had considered PlusNet because of a Which report, but one of my colleagues reported that their traffic shaping policies sometimes prevented him using VPN which we require for work/study purposes. I think that was before they were taken over by BT, but they certainly still refer to traffic "management".

Before ADSL24 I was with Pipex, but bailed out as they were taken over by Tiscali.

JimBews

Connor.
04-Dec-08, 14:28
Cheers for all the info. I checked my line capabilities with BT and apparently i can only get up to 2.5MB which isn't the greatest. I am thinking of this adsl24 group as i've been recommended them before. I will see if i can nag at them and get a cheap 2MB line suitable for gaming and downloads :)

Gizmo
04-Dec-08, 14:51
Cheers for all the info. I checked my line capabilities with BT and apparently i can only get up to 2.5MB which isn't the greatest. I am thinking of this adsl24 group as i've been recommended them before. I will see if i can nag at them and get a cheap 2MB line suitable for gaming and downloads :)

ADSL24 are superb, i used them last year and the only reason i'm not still with them is that when i moved house i got a better deal for the reconnection at my new address from Freeola, they are both part of the Entanet group so i new the quality of service would be the same, the ADSL24 Home 30 plan is the one for you Connor.

As for the BT line checker telling you that the max speed you will get is 2.5mb, completely ignore that, it's notorious for being way off the mark, last year when i moved house the BT line checker said all i could get was 0.5mb, but i connect at the maximum of 7.2mb and get download speeds of around 600kbps on Bit Torrent software, so pay no attention to that BT line checker, as with most things BT....it's guff.

Connor.
04-Dec-08, 15:57
ADSL24 are superb, i used them last year and the only reason i'm not still with them is that when i moved house i got a better deal for the reconnection at my new address from Freeola, they are both part of the Entanet group so i new the quality of service would be the same, the ADSL24 Home 30 plan is the one for you Connor.

As for the BT line checker telling you that the max speed you will get is 2.5mb, completely ignore that, it's notorious for being way off the mark, last year when i moved house the BT line checker said all i could get was 0.5mb, but i connect at the maximum of 7.2mb and get download speeds of around 600kbps on Bit Torrent software, so pay no attention to that BT line checker, as with most things BT....it's guff.

Haha, cheers for that mate. Had a look and the Home30 plan seems perfect for me. However i don't completely understand this ADSL2+? Is that something i should look into or is that too fast for this area?

Gizmo
04-Dec-08, 16:04
Haha, cheers for that mate. Had a look and the Home30 plan seems perfect for me. However i don't completely understand this ADSL2+? Is that something i should look into or is that too fast for this area?

It's not available in our area, will probably be a few years yet before it is, the telephone exchange has to be upgraded before we can get it, and they are never in a hurry to upgrade things for us hillbillies :lol:

Connor.
04-Dec-08, 16:05
[lol]

Poor show!

Aye, Home Plan 30 it is then. Cheers for the help!

MadPict
04-Dec-08, 16:08

When I swapped from my last BB supplier to Pipex I was told my line was good for up to 4mbps so I thought better than the speed I had been getting.
Now I have complained to Pipex because I was getting as low as 120kbps on many occasions. I even kept a speedtest log for them to prove the low speeds.
They have now told me that my line is only good for 2.5mbps. Oh and the low speeds were due to line work they were doing. (Yeah right).
Now my home hasn't moved further from the exchange and as far as I know the exchange is still where it was - according to the simplifydigital site I am "...2,773m from your local exchange, with an estimated telephone line length of 3,883m (since telephone lines do not run in straight lines!)" and "Availability check at my postcode -Broadband is available at an estimated speed of 4.0Mb. - Faster speeds may be available."

Giving Pipex a few more days then it'll be back on the complaining warpath...

Gizmo
04-Dec-08, 16:15
Giving Pipex a few more days then it'll be back on the complaining warpath...

Give up on the complaining, it won't get you faster speeds, Pipex are just not a very good ISP, they were my very first BB supplier and they were fine when all we had was a 512k line rate, but when we were upgraded to 2mb their service went downhill very quickly.
Best thing you can do is just get your MAC code and take your custom elsewhere.

MadPict
04-Dec-08, 16:39
I think I mentioned in another thread that I used to be with Lineone for my old dial up service. They got taken over by Tiscali.
Then I went to a company called Applica Broadband - they decided to shed their domestic customers and I got moved onto Tiscali's books.
Then I decided to take my whole comms package to Pipex and now they have been swallowed up by Tiscali.

I am beginning to see a pattern here....

hotrod4
04-Dec-08, 17:10
The cheapest ISP is you next door neighbours unencrypted Wireless network!!! :lol:
I am with BT with unlimited D/L but next time may switch to SKY as they seem to be the mutts nuts.Admitedly have never had a prob with BT my speed averages at 6m so cant complain but they do seem to throttle me during the day which SKY dont, so a switch may be on the cards!