PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please?

Tugmistress
03-Dec-08, 20:56
:o

it's looking like i might be interviewed by the Mail on Sunday to do with the PWS network (Personal Weather Station). .... I'd just like an idea of why you choose to look at my weather station (if you do) and what info you find useful, how you use that info and any other comments you think are useful.

thanks. :)

lazytown
03-Dec-08, 21:05
Well me personally tuggs, check your site, to see if you have broken it..:lol:, I know then to expect a call...

mainly check your site to see how windy it is when it is blowing a gale or to see how cold it is.

Kodiak
03-Dec-08, 21:12
Personally I like your information as I find it really helpful and consistant. I say keep on what you are doing and you won't go wrong.

Let us know when your interview will be Published so we all can rush out and buy a copy. :D

northener
Give us the link, Tuggs!

Tugmistress
Well me personally tuggs, check your site, to see if you have broken it..:lol:, I know then to expect a call...

mainly check your site to see how windy it is when it is blowing a gale or to see how cold it is.

hahahaha good strategy!
so pure curiosity value for wind speeds and temps then yes?

kas
03-Dec-08, 21:20
I personally would be lost without your weather station, especially at times like this. With you not being too far from me it tells me whats happening out there. ( I hope it tells me freezing temps tonight with low dew points and lots of snow, although I aint holding out any real hope.)

Like Lazytown I mainly use it for wind speed and temp, but do take note of air pressure changes and dew points. Its just great knowing the weather stats as they happen in our area, although whenver we get damage from a NE wind you never get any mega gusts, I do not know if this is you being sheltered from a NE, or the fact we have no shelter at all from NEs blowing off sea and we have shelter from all other directions.

Combining your weather forecasts on the org and your station you are a big asset to all in the area interesting in what is happening weatherwise, otherwise it would just be the Wick airport stats for us, and we only get them at roughly hourly intervals, and we all know how different it can be in Wick and Thurso at times.

I am sure there are others who do not live in Caithness and check in to see what the weather is doing up here.

Cheers
Kas:D

Kodiak
03-Dec-08, 21:20
Here is the link to Tugmistress's page

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/

You will find it really helpful.

Tugmistress
03-Dec-08, 21:26
Thanks Kas,
great reply, just what i am looking for in case i am asked why i think people view the stations uploads.
It's actually being organised through weather underground (www.wunderground.com (http://www.wunderground.com)) where i also upload data to, this is the email i received today ...
Dear Paula

I am working for Weather Underground and we are launching a big promotional campaign in the UK. Yesterday we launched our new forecasting model for the UK - it gives 7 day forecasts at 3-hour intervals throughout each day. We are also trying to promote our PWS network which is why I am contacting you. The Mail on Sunday would like to run a story on the PWS network and have asked to speak with some of the station owners - your website stood out for me from most of our PWS owners so I was wondering if you would be willing to be interviewed?

so keep those replies coming, they are looking to interview me tomorrow or friday! for publication this weekend.

Kas, forgot say so edited ...
i am sheltered from the N/E direction backing through to NNW so add at least 15% on to what my readings are!

webmannie
03-Dec-08, 21:38
I had a similar request from Weblo, it was purely a promotional campaign of theirs. They wanted to interview me as virtual mayor of a particular city. Great at the time but of no benefit at all to me.

Tugs, you provide a 'local' perception of the forthcoming weather conditions (which by the way is VERY much appreciated and has been been proven accurate on so many ocassions). You understand the 'charts' and relay that information to us all. Provide the data by all means, but if they ask for anything more please ask 'whats in it for me'. Think about maintenance of your equipment!!

webmannie
03-Dec-08, 21:42
of no benefit at all to me

Sorry just read my post over again, what I have said is not true. I agreed to the promotional campaign because it might have boosted my worth on weblo!!

Tugmistress
03-Dec-08, 21:45
I had a similar request from Weblo, it was purely a promotional campaign of theirs. They wanted to interview me as virtual mayor of a particular city. Great at the time but of no benefit at all to me.

Tugs, you provide a 'local' perception of the forthcoming weather conditions (which by the way is VERY much appreciated and has been been proven accurate on so many ocassions). You understand the 'charts' and relay that information to us all. Provide the data by all means, but if they ask for anything more please ask 'whats in it for me'. Think about maintenance of your equipment!!

I understand what you are saying webmannie, but i am not in it to make anything, if someone wants to donate something to help with maintenance, new equipment, hosting etc then fair do's, the ability is there on my website but i give any info i have freely, there have been several people in need of proof of weather conditions for insurance claims that have come to me for records because either 1- the met office charge or 2- the met office readings are nowhere near what actually happened up here at the time, we all know wick and thurso have such large differences at times. the company that handled the landslide at scrabster a couple of years back came to me for records for that whole week to see 'what went wrong and why', i see it as my way of helping out and i enjoy helping. the weather to me is a hobby, one i enjoy and want to share :)

speedo215
03-Dec-08, 21:48
i use it to check the forecast for when i am playing 7's football at naver, as it gives me a good indication as what to wear

SeaEagle
03-Dec-08, 22:00
Tugs, you have a great website and the data for the weather is superb. I walk back and forth to work and it is always great to see how speedy that large gust of wind was that near blew me into the road! :D

Kenn
03-Dec-08, 22:00
We check it on a daily basis as we are nosey and want to know what is going on in our favourite county.
For many years I too have been interested in meteorology and find the charts you post most helpful also having experienced some pretty dire extremes when visiting it's good to know that their is very localised imformation available.

golach
03-Dec-08, 22:08
Check it on a daily basis too Tuggs, just to check how your weather up there compares to down here, and a quick look at your webcams, to remind me of home:lol:

Riffman
03-Dec-08, 22:15
I've used it several times to calculate wind speed and hours for wind turbines :D

cuddlepop
03-Dec-08, 22:16
After the org its the next best thing to actually being their.:D

TRUCKER
04-Dec-08, 06:19
It is a good site tuggs gives you local weather at the touch of a button plus with your personal touch giving weather updates.

Mister Squiggle
04-Dec-08, 09:25
I use your weather reports for the simple reason that I've found them to be far more locally accurate than the BBC's ones. I'd take the word of Tugmistress over some of those simpering, posturing weather wizards on telly any day - much more accurate and informative for us up here in the far North.
Keep up the excellent work!
PS - any idea when this wind will drop a bit?

Bad Manners
04-Dec-08, 10:07
We use your reports almost on a daily basis they prove to be far more reliable than the other general reports . keep up the good work

Tugmistress
04-Dec-08, 10:31
PS - any idea when this wind will drop a bit?

It'll ease off this evening and over the next 2 days work it's way through E, NE, N, NW and go W by sunday.

pat
04-Dec-08, 10:40
You are much better at forecasting the weather and warning us too - even over here in Lewis much more reliable than all the other weather forecasters.

Many many thanks for all your hard work.

Green_not_greed
04-Dec-08, 13:39
Tugs

Its a great site and one of which I make much use of during the darker months. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

GNG

asinger
04-Dec-08, 13:41
I'm ashamed to admit that I never looked at your website until to-day,but now I have I've got to say that it is very impressive and comprehensive. Good on you, I say!!!!! I will be certainly be looking at it again on a regular basis.

mums angels
04-Dec-08, 14:30

Yip thats why i check it and like to check the highs and low stats for year or month

Boss
04-Dec-08, 17:11
:o

it's looking like i might be interviewed by the Mail on Sunday to do with the PWS network (Personal Weather Station). .... I'd just like an idea of why you choose to look at my weather station (if you do) and what info you find useful, how you use that info and any other comments you think are useful.

Tugmistress, I have a link on my website to your website, I visit yours daily, not for anything in particular but just because it is so interesting and is frequently updated,
you also have some fascinating links,
Unlike many people on this forum, the weather good or bad is of no matter to me,
you on the other hand have deep insight into all things weather-y and I'd say go for the interview and good luck with it.

Tugmistress
04-Dec-08, 17:20
Thanks Boss ;)
Had a call this morning from the PR agent setting it up, now just waiting on a call from the reporter mannie lol
What's your web site boss? I'd like a look please

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it's interesting to not the different uses for people, and riffman, if you're reading this, do you use the wind/energy table my software produces or just the raw wind data and formulate your own results?

ok i found your site boss! i am impressed, you may get a knock on the door from me one day when i am out taking photo's ;) you've now got a link on my site too :)

golach
04-Dec-08, 17:40
Had a call this morning from the PR agent setting it up, now just waiting on a call from the reporter mannie lol

Hope it is a decent reporter type mannie Tuggs, who will be positive about Caithness and the great service to the community you provide to us all.[lol]

Mik.M.
04-Dec-08, 19:20
We always use your site for our weather,or even your up to the second phone service.We tell our friends down south to check the site to see how interesting the weather is up here.

Stargazer
04-Dec-08, 21:53
Hi,

I like looking up your weatherstation for wind data when it is stormy. The max wind data is great. I keep record on max/min temperture.

kas
06-Dec-08, 00:37
have you had the call yet??
Be sure to let us now how it goes??

Now when are we getting snow. (Only joking):lol::lol:

Moira
06-Dec-08, 01:47

Sorry Tuggs, I meant to reply to this thread the other night.

I look at your weather station and rely on your updates here on Caithness.org for the very simple reason that they've proved more accurate than any other forecasts available. I travel around the North (and beyond) quite a bit so the reliable information is invaluable in deciding my travel arrangements in order to get to my planned destination in time - and safely.

Remember to tell the interviewer that you've even been "accosted" in the C.Org Chatroom, after the Sunday night quiz, for an up-to-minute weather forecast. ;)

Keep up the good work Tuggs and best of luck with the interview. :D

Ricco
06-Dec-08, 09:56
Hello, Tuggs. I like looking at your weather because it is more locally focussed, whereas the Beeb, etc look at the bigger picture. Locally you are more likely to be right. Also, it is nice to keep in touch with what is happening up there - you are one of my 'lifelines' to the Thurso area and I do thank you greatly for being there. That cuppa is still on the cards, by the way! :D

Tugmistress
06-Dec-08, 10:10
Thank you all for some brilliant and interesting replies, unfortunately i had an email last night from the PR agent in London setting it all up and she said that the mail on sunday had decided ot to go with the story, but she is hoping to get another paper interested, so, still waiting for a call lol

Thanks again folks - and Ricco, i'll hold you to it ;)

Boss
06-Dec-08, 20:21
Thanks Boss ;)
What's your web site boss? I'd like a look please

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it's interesting to not the different uses for people, and riffman, if you're reading this, do you use the wind/energy table my software produces or just the raw wind data and formulate your own results?

ok i found your site boss! i am impressed, you may get a knock on the door from me one day when i am out taking photo's ;) you've now got a link on my site too :)

Anytime, that suits and you would be made most welcome!
You and my husband would no doubt have much to talk about, he is a retired ex-fisherman, been around boats all of his life,
and like yourself, predicts the weather better than those who get paid for it!
Thank you for the link, greatly appreciated.