PDA

View Full Version : woolworths

Ash
03-Dec-08, 12:36
i ordered from the site before the news on them going bust
called to see where my order is now to be told i may not recieve it or get a refund.... they cant tell me more until next week

honey
03-Dec-08, 12:40
thats terrible Ash, i hope you get a positive outcome!!

isnt there some ruling about paying for goods through a credit card, youll get refunded in situations like this??

unicorn
03-Dec-08, 12:46
I remember hearing that if you pay by credit card you can get a refund through your credit card company, but otherwise you have not much chance of getting money back.

Ash
03-Dec-08, 12:51
i just spoke to another lady and she said i will get a refund but not sure when. they have to wait for the administrators to tell them,
bloody annoying

dakud007
03-Dec-08, 13:45
Hev spent alot there recently, tried every little help to support woolies!

pat
03-Dec-08, 14:21
I order a couple of DVDs the day before news leaked they were having problems - very surprised the next day when the DVDs arrived.
Excellent service - delivered within 24 hours of ordering, that is delivered to Western Isles - and arrived very well packaged too.

A9RUNNER
04-Dec-08, 05:21
It will be a shame if woolies go bust. Most of my present shopping is normally split between argos and woolies

TRUCKER
04-Dec-08, 06:17
I do a lot of shopping out of wollies its a good shop would be a shame if it went bust.

Daisy
04-Dec-08, 17:35
I ordered a toy before the news came out, like everyone else I phone and they couldnt tell me what would happen - it arrived today.

balto
04-Dec-08, 17:49
it is going to be a sad day when woolies closes, not just for the customers that have grown up shoppng in woolies, but for the staff in all the shops, i am currently on maternoty leave at the moment from woolies and i am not sure what is worse not being there to know what is happening, or would it be worse to be there and to go through it everyday.

superted
04-Dec-08, 18:38
Down here there is a massive sale between 10 and 50% off everything tomorrow only, not sure if its nationwide but its worth a look downtown to see if there is.

dirdyweeker
04-Dec-08, 23:42
Down here there is a massive sale between 10 and 50% off everything tomorrow only, not sure if its nationwide but its worth a look downtown to see if there is.

heard this is also happening in Wick. Seemingly stock from upstairs is being taken down for it. All you people looking for toys might be well advised to have a look in.

purplelady
05-Dec-08, 00:52
I do know in wick they have been told to get all the stock they can downstairs so could be a big sale x

jinglejangle
05-Dec-08, 21:06
were there lots of bargains / discounts at the thurso and wick woolies today? does anyone know if the sale is still on tomorrow? just found out about it at 1730 hours today!

wndyndy
05-Dec-08, 21:15
hev been woolies alot, it seems quite busy there, it s shocked by the news that woolies haveing difficulties:(

Foxy
05-Dec-08, 21:32
were there lots of bargains / discounts at the thurso and wick woolies today? does anyone know if the sale is still on tomorrow? just found out about it at 1730 hours today!

There was a few bargains from 10% to 50% off. I assume that the sale will continue until the stock is cleared.

purplelady
06-Dec-08, 13:05
I do know in wick they have been told to get all the stock they can downstairs so could be a big sale x
ok this post was not put on by me have been on to my internet provider who say it could have been hacked into i do not really know what to do now any advice have been getting a lot of stick because of this post although it was all over the news couple nites ago anyway but besides that have been told that woolies is non of my business and i should not comment on it if that is the case it is non of any of us bussiness i think we still live in a free country correct me if am wrong here pls and are free to express our opinions please or a offend sorry for going on am so so angry that someone has done this not being very techno do not really know what to do also have lost who i thought was a good friend though all this i feel that we were discussing woolies as it is part of our community and too lose it it would be awful seems am not allowed that opinion either and haveing worked there for a good few years i had opinions on it so pls someone tell have we been taken over and are now not a free country lol as for woolies i will not speak about them as i cannot be bothered with it all that said do hope it is saved for the sake of the community have no loyality to it anymore .

unicorn
06-Dec-08, 13:10
Thats a bit worrying purplelady, Does anyone know your password? Could it be someone else in the house who has posted in your name if you didn't log out first. Many people have commented on woolies so I wouldn't worry too much about it and if people will be so petty then just leave them to find something more important to complain about.

purplelady
06-Dec-08, 21:25
you would think so would'nt you

purplelady
06-Dec-08, 21:30
meant to say only me and my 12 yr old son live here so cannot see him doing it can you

Tighsonas4
06-Dec-08, 22:53
cant work that one out but have tried to go into the chat on one or two occassions and it said someone is already in using my name
thats not a problem but would not want someone posting on my behalf tony

octane
06-Dec-08, 23:06
ok this post was not put on by me have been on to my internet provider who say it could have been hacked into i do not really know what to do now any advice have been getting a lot of stick because of this post although it was all over the news couple nites ago anyway but besides that have been told that woolies is non of my business and i should not comment on it if that is the case it is non of any of us bussiness i think we still live in a free country correct me if am wrong here pls and are free to express our opinions please or a offend sorry for going on am so so angry that someone has done this not being very techno do not really know what to do also have lost who i thought was a good friend though all this i feel that we were discussing woolies as it is part of our community and too lose it it would be awful seems am not allowed that opinion either and haveing worked there for a good few years i had opinions on it so pls someone tell have we been taken over and are now not a free country lol as for woolies i will not speak about them as i cannot be bothered with it all that said do hope it is saved for the sake of the community have no loyality to it anymore .

its gonna take some lungs to say that in a one go. Sorry purplelady but my eyes have gone skeewiff trying to absorb all that without a break :eek:

purplelady
07-Dec-08, 01:03
its gonna take some lungs to say that in a one go. Sorry purplelady but my eyes have gone skeewiff trying to absorb all that without a break :eek:
no worries just a bit mad at a certain person whoever did that maybe find out who knows but do know that am sick of woolies i know when i worked there was not allowed to discuss things but do work there anymore and like i say free country and am free to express an opinion like any of you are hehehehehe

sweetpea
07-Dec-08, 05:28
meant to say only me and my 12 yr old son live here so cannot see him doing it can you

He he does age come into it, lol? Hes a man after a...:eek:

sorry to hear your laments purplelady:)

hotrod4
07-Dec-08, 08:37

If you contact Colin I am sure he can do an IP look up.he can go into the system and find out what IP address was stored for that comment. Then its a simple look up and then if all is not well a simple e-mail to the abuse dept of the ISp will get it sorted.
That way you will know where it came from and all the rest of us can stop being so paranoid!!!!!:lol:

Niall Fernie
07-Dec-08, 09:30
I've checked the IPs from purplelady's posts and they are the same.

If you use the "remember me" function when you log in to caithness.org (i.e. you don't have to log in every time you visit) then anyone who has access to your PC has access to your account.

I would log out fully and log in again without the tick in remember me, that way you can ensure that no one else in your household, or visitors can use your account.

telfordstar
07-Dec-08, 15:58

Why woud you get alot of stick for posting something quite pain like that?

scorrie
07-Dec-08, 16:38
Not much happening on the woolies website since Friday:-

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/

All I have had the past three days was that the site is closed for maintenance!!

cullykev
07-Dec-08, 17:20
its the staff i feel sorry for

purplelady
07-Dec-08, 19:17
I've checked the IPs from purplelady's posts and they are the same.

If you use the "remember me" function when you log in to caithness.org (i.e. you don't have to log in every time you visit) then anyone who has access to your PC has access to your account.

I would log out fully and log in again without the tick in remember me, that way you can ensure that no one else in your household, or visitors can use your account.
thanks neil i do us the remeber function and iw ill do what you say just do not know who would have done it as far as i know noone here but thanks anyway reason am getting stick is because i used to work there and i think it is a bit of sour grapes on a certain persons part as i have another job

Buttercup
07-Dec-08, 19:43
thanks neil i do us the remeber function and iw ill do what you say just do not know who would have done it as far as i know noone here but thanks anyway reason am getting stick is because i used to work there and i think it is a bit of sour grapes on a certain persons part as i have another job

Surely it can't be that difficult to find out who had access to your pc at ten to midnight on Thursday the 4th? :roll:

purplelady
07-Dec-08, 23:25
Surely it can't be that difficult to find out who had access to your pc at ten to midnight on Thursday the 4th? :roll:only person in house was me and my son and i would have been in my bed and so would he so it is mystery to me i alawys turn it off at nite so do not know what happened to be honest am past caring now the person in question is an ex friend and i will never be able to trust them or feel i can confide in them again so tis there loss but i do hope that woolies is saved for the comumuitys sake it will be a big loss

Buttercup
07-Dec-08, 23:51
only person in house was me and my son and i would have been in my bed and so would he so it is mystery to me i alawys turn it off at nite so do not know what happened to be honest am past caring now the person in question is an ex friend and i will never be able to trust them or feel i can confide in them again so tis there loss but i do hope that woolies is saved for the comumuitys sake it will be a big loss

I must've missed something here ~ thought you said you didn't know who posted in your name on your pc! :confused

Venture
07-Dec-08, 23:55
I must've missed something here ~ thought you said you didn't know who posted in your name on your pc! :confused
It's not only you Buttercup, I've missed it too.[lol]

Buttercup
07-Dec-08, 23:55

Could you not have just removed/edited the post?

unicorn
07-Dec-08, 23:57
I would assume she is referring to the person giving her hassle about the post.

purplelady
08-Dec-08, 23:07
I must've missed something here ~ thought you said you didn't know who posted in your name on your pc! :confusedI did what am saying the only two poeple in my house at that time of nite is me and my son and we would both have been in bed so not rally sure what has happened guess i never will however have taken Bolls advice and took of the remeber me

purplelady
08-Dec-08, 23:08
do not know how to delete or edit post said i was not very techno and thank you unicorn i was and like i said just me and my son unless the dogs have learnt how to type lol sorry xx

Ash
09-Dec-08, 09:29
we managed to get a refund yesterday.... luckily the woolies shop still had the item we had tried to order and worked out better as we got 20% of the item in store :D

honey
09-Dec-08, 10:47
Why woud you get alot of stick for posting something quite pain like that?

thats what im thinking... if a "friend" is willing to give you such a hard time over such a simple statement, id start to wonder if their friendship was worth having...

carasmam
09-Dec-08, 16:57
we managed to get a refund yesterday.... luckily the woolies shop still had the item we had tried to order and worked out better as we got 20% of the item in store :D

Thats good news Ash, all's well that ends well then :D

WhatFor
09-Dec-08, 19:07
was at inverness store, there selling everything cheap so unsure if its a closing sale or just clear out old junk

Brian & Roisin
09-Dec-08, 20:22
i work in woolworths and they are saying it is not a closing down sale apparently, so we have to wait and see what happens. maybe our name lives on

Geo
09-Dec-08, 20:24
I would be surprised if someone doesn't buy Woolworths. I hope so as it must be a worry for all the workers there.

purplelady
10-Dec-08, 00:31
thats what im thinking... if a "friend" is willing to give you such a hard time over such a simple statement, id start to wonder if their friendship was worth having...
belevie me honey the person is no longer a friend have enough tgo worry about and she is the least of my worries x

scorrie
10-Dec-08, 01:11
I would be surprised if someone doesn't buy Woolworths. I hope so as it must be a worry for all the workers there.

Woolies has been running at a loss for ages. I think it was being offered for sale for £1 before the administrators were called in. The company has huge debts. Their website has been down since last Friday, perhaps even longer, with no sign of life. I would think it will be carved up and fed to the vultures to fight over what is worth keeping.

Is there actually anything that Woolies sell that cannot be bought from Tescos? I can't think of much.

Anne x
10-Dec-08, 01:32
Woolies has been running at a loss for ages. I think it was being offered for sale for £1 before the administrators were called in. The company has huge debts. Their website has been down since last Friday, perhaps even longer, with no sign of life. I would think it will be carved up and fed to the vultures to fight over what is worth keeping.

Is there actually anything that Woolies sell that cannot be bought from Tescos? I can't think of much.

It is such a shame though I cannot imagine Thurso or Wick without it its the place you went to and found whatever anytime of year be it a kettle pick n mix or wonda web a rose for the garden at Xmas it was a haven of goodies be it presents cds cards or selection boxes decorations the list is endless
I remember once going on Boxing Day extremeley hungover to the sale and all the staff made you smile and were so helpful and not all of them were fresh after there family celebrations it will be a big dent in smaller towns in the North
Im quite sure Scorrie one can purchase everything from Tesco but it does not have the same ring to it as The Wonder of Woolies a huge loss to the Community

scorrie
10-Dec-08, 02:01
It is such a shame though I cannot imagine Thurso or Wick without it its the place you went to and found whatever anytime of year be it a kettle pick n mix or wonda web a rose for the garden at Xmas it was a haven of goodies be it presents cds cards or selection boxes decorations the list is endless
I remember once going on Boxing Day extremeley hungover to the sale and all the staff made you smile and were so helpful and not all of them were fresh after there family celebrations it will be a big dent in smaller towns in the North
Im quite sure Scorrie one can purchase everything from Tesco but it does not have the same ring to it as The Wonder of Woolies a huge loss to the Community

That is the problem Woolies have had to face though. When people can get it all under one roof, and often cheaper, they tend to do just that. We are living in a largely sedentary age, where the car is King. The theory mooted that Tesco would bring MORE footfall to the town centre was the biggest load of baloney ever put forward and I said that before Tesco ever laid a brick in Wick!!

TBH
10-Dec-08, 02:11
That is the problem Woolies have had to face though. When people can get it all under one roof, and often cheaper, they tend to do just that. We are living in a largely sedentary age, where the car is King. The theory mooted that Tesco would bring MORE footfall to the town centre was the biggest load of baloney ever put forward and I said that before Tesco ever laid a brick in Wick!!Tesco never had that attraction. They have attributed to Wick town centre becoming a ghost town the same as every other out of town retail venture has in every other town in Scotland, Egerlund, Wales and Northern Ireland.. What was there as a part of everyday social life will never be replaced In My opinion.

balto
10-Dec-08, 12:09

these huge supermarkets really have a lot to answer for, i work in the thurso woolies and the thought of losing ourjobs just after christmas just is to hard to believe.

daviddd
10-Dec-08, 12:39
Yes, the High Street location of all Woollies stores is one of their greatest strengths - handy to pop into etc., but more and more of us are using Tesco's and out-of-town stores for everything, so inevitably Woolies and the High St in general are doomed unless local business can think up a formula to attract customers. Not opening at lunctime (by some shops) is suicidal in my opinion.

igglepiggle
10-Dec-08, 13:38
says in the sun newpaper today that iceland is set to take over 50 off the stores. i would like one off them up here!! anything is better than an empty shop and staff loosing jobs!

hails4
10-Dec-08, 17:38
Sky news breaking news:- woolworths to begin closing down sale tomorrow

wee machine
10-Dec-08, 19:42
Purple lady i dont really see why ur ranting on bout how someone hacked on ur pc when this is a forum bout woolies.. . . Having some thought for all the members of staff i think sld be the topic really:~(:~(:~(
x xx

balto
10-Dec-08, 19:45
i work in woolies in thurso, well normally do, but i am on maternity leave at the moment, and i feel sick to my stomach to think i wont have a job most likely by the end of december, talk about a merry christmas.

wee machine
10-Dec-08, 20:10
I actually work in woolies to and i know exactly how u r feeling

telfordstar
10-Dec-08, 21:45
Purple lady i dont really see why ur ranting on bout how someone hacked on ur pc when this is a forum bout woolies.. . . Having some thought for all the members of staff i think sld be the topic really:~(:~(:~(
x xx

Maybe your one of the staff members purpelady was speaking about being bitter bout her leaving mmmmmmmmmm revenge on the org.

Anyway back on topic its a shame its come to this closing down i for one will miss my trip down with kids on boxing day to spend their christmas money. Shame on staff as well.

hammers
10-Dec-08, 23:29
Purple lady i dont really see why ur ranting on bout how someone hacked on ur pc when this is a forum bout woolies.. . . Having some thought for all the members of staff i think sld be the topic really.....
x xx

I agree wee machine. It's a terrible thing to happen just before Christmas.

ps cant see why any staff members would be bitter about purplelady "leaving" Woolies :Razz

purplelady
11-Dec-08, 00:22
x xx
i do feel for them belevie me but it was the comment i made about woollies is what started it

purplelady
11-Dec-08, 00:25
I agree wee machine. It's a terrible thing to happen just before Christmas.

ps cant see why any staff members would be bitter about purplelady "leaving" Woolies :Razz
I just feel sorry for all them losing their jobs here and all over the country and lets be honest will not be easy to find another do not know why my ex firend was like this toward me am sad that she has been but what can i do but move on just hope that woolworths can be saved in some way not looking good according to the news tonite is it x

zagor
11-Dec-08, 09:47
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7776634.stm
It will be a shame to see it go

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 10:18
It's a damn shame, i never thought i'd see a time where Woolies wasn't on the high street, the market square will be like a ghost town soon.

As for the closing down sale, are we actually going to get any bargains?, the 'up to 50% off' sale they have just now is rubbish, most entertainment items were only 10% off, and those items could be bought online for less than the discounted price, i never actually saw a single item that had 50% off.

Ash
11-Dec-08, 10:53
It's a damn shame, i never thought i'd see a time where Woolies wasn't on the high street, the market square will be like a ghost town soon.

As for the closing down sale, are we actually going to get any bargains?, the 'up to 50% off' sale they have just now is rubbish, most entertainment items were only 10% off, and those items could be bought online for less than the discounted price, i never actually saw a single item that had 50% off.

yeah i was in the one in thurso and its the same, its not much off a sale

northener
11-Dec-08, 10:53
What a strange hypocritical world we live in (not aimed at any particular individual - before anyone gets 'offended'...they usually do on here).

Mucho lamenting about the loss of Woolworths. Followed with mucho discussion about "wot we can get cheap now they're goin' bust, like."

If everyone was that bothered, why weren't they staying loyal to Woolies in the first place?

It's a bizarre sinking ship scenario:

The rats abandoned the ship to it's fate some time ago...and now they're all scrambling back on board to rip off whatever they can before it goes down, whilst saying "isn't it a shame"![lol][lol][lol]

changilass
11-Dec-08, 11:02
Was thinking along the same lines Northener - good post.

Ash
11-Dec-08, 11:06
I think the Pick n Mix will be the bit I miss most. It is such a strong memory from childhood, we take the wee one for a treat as she loves the pick n mix

Unfortunately its the only thing that Woolies does really well any more. It used to be so cheap for kids clothes and cds and dvds etc, but the last few years this just hasnt been the case. With places like tesco, asda etc all doing the same stuff but much cheaper, it is hard for them to compete.

I went in this week DURING the sale, and found that their DVDs and DS games etc were still twice the price of amazon, even in the sale. I wanted to support them in the hope they wont close down, but I cant justify speding £25 on a game I can buy for £12 elsewhere!

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 11:22
What a strange hypocritical world we live in (not aimed at any particular individual - before anyone gets 'offended'...they usually do on here).

Mucho lamenting about the loss of Woolworths. Followed with mucho discussion about "wot we can get cheap now they're goin' bust, like."

If everyone was that bothered, why weren't they staying loyal to Woolies in the first place?

It's a bizarre sinking ship scenario:

The rats abandoned the ship to it's fate some time ago...and now they're all scrambling back on board to rip off whatever they can before it goes down, whilst saying "isn't it a shame"![lol][lol][lol]

Eh..excuse me, i have always purchased from Woolies and i never abandonded them when Tesco came along, if an item was cheaper in Woolies or i couldn't be bothered going up to Tesco it would be bought out of Woolies, and vice versa, money is in too short a supply these days to be loyal to a particular shop, although Woolies did get quite a bit of impulse buying from me even if it could have been bought elsewhere slightly cheaper.

The simple facts are that Woolies is closing down, it's sad for the town and sad for the staff, but nostaglia only goes so far when it's christmas and you're skint.

PS - I'm not offended....i don't get offended

buffy
11-Dec-08, 11:39
it will be a shame to see it go just because its always been there and obviously mainly because of the job losses. There is only one thing i use woolies for and that is computer games i want there and then. I do often take a wander round but more often than not i leave empty handed. I too am very disappointed that the sale doesn't seem much good for the things i'm after. I'm not being hypocritical - its a sad situation but you'd be mad to pay their prices for entertainment goods all the time, once in a while maybe, which i did. The rest of the shop just doesn't interest me although i was addicted to pick n mix for a while lol. I'm only sad for the staff and cos if i want to pay over the odds for a game i now have to go to argos or tesco in wick!

Kodiak
11-Dec-08, 14:12
Just been announced on TV that Woolies is Definately "CLOSING DOWN"

All Stores have from today a Closing Down SALE in Operation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3703606/Woolworths-to-launch-closing-down-sale-as-survival-hopes-fade.html

It is a SAD Day indeed as I never thought I would live to see the demise of this well established store. I will miss it greatly!!

dakud007
11-Dec-08, 14:25
Get your points,northener. That is ironic! Good post!

balto
11-Dec-08, 14:57
yeah i was in the one in thurso and its the same, its not much off a sale
sorry to be so blunt, but my god what do you expect, 15 of us are going to lose our jobs, i have heard the vultures were circling but that is ridiculous, just have a bit of thought for the staff, who are ging to get p45s for christmas.

Ash
11-Dec-08, 15:00
sorry to be so blunt, but my god what do you expect, 15 of us are going to lose our jobs, i have heard the vultures were circling but that is ridiculous, just have a bit of thought for the staff, who are ging to get p45s for christmas.

by no means am i trying to offend anyone but for some reason ever other store as huge sales but for some reason we dont.... im not a vulture thanks! me saying its not much of a sale isnt going to affect woolies closing down, its closing down end of!

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 15:22
by no means am i trying to offend anyone but for some reason ever other store as huge sales but for some reason we dont.... im not a vulture thanks! me saying its not much of a sale isnt going to affect woolies closing down, its closing down end of!

Wow!...we actually 100% agree on something for a change :lol:

I do feel sorry for the staff, i have known some of the Wick staff most of my life and it's terrible news that they are to lose their jobs, but the fact is that Woolies is closing....end of story, now if they wish to offload all their stock before they close for good they are going to have to do a lot better than the 10 to 30% discounts they are currently offering, it makes no difference to the staffs future what discount is applied to the goods and they are not going to get paid any more if the goods have a 10% or a 75% discount, i fully understand that Balto is upset at losing her job, but it's unessessary and pointless to get upset at people looking for a bargin.

Ash
11-Dec-08, 15:24

I do feel sorry for the staff, i have known some of the Wick staff most of my life and it's terrible news that they are to lose their jobs, but the fact is that Woolies is closing....end of story, now if they wish to offload all their stock before they close for good they are going to have to do a lot better than the 10 to 30% discounts they are currently offering, it makes no difference to the staffs future what discount is applied to the goods and they are not going to get paid any more if the goods have a 10% or a 75% discount, i fully understand that Balto is upset at losing her job, but it's unessessary and pointless to get upset at people looking for a bargin.

hahaha thanks for that :D

yeah but what u said is what im trying to say u just said it better

justine
11-Dec-08, 16:09

wondering if you would feel the same way if it was your job and your kids christmas that could be affected by this.:mad:
Balto is in her rights to feel let down and bothered by what is happening to her and many other just before christmas and with a new member of the family aswell.:lol:

kitty kat
11-Dec-08, 16:09
bring on the bargains im broke and poor and like everyone else could do with a bargain while shopping i have always done my bits and bobs shoping in woolies now its time they repaid me...

money is no good to them now they are bust the money is going to the administrators....

Mr P Cannop
11-Dec-08, 16:13

how can it close down when theres more stock comming into the stores ??

Ash
11-Dec-08, 16:30
right... i am not worrying about my bargains... thats what the bad rep i just received said... i was worried when id forked out on a toy as a main present for my 4 year old on woolies website and was told i may not get a refund. thats why i started this thread..... its not my fault people have lost their jobs nor woolies going bust.... but why should i have nearly lost money because they cannot run their business anymore. i dont wish people to lose their jobs but just because i said it wasnt much of a sale im getting slated! whatever [evil]

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 16:32
how can it close down when theres more stock comming into the stores ??

Woolies will still have warehouses full of stock that needs to be sold.

brew
11-Dec-08, 16:34
wondering if you would feel the same way if it was your job and your kids christmas that could be affected by this.:mad:
Balto is in her rights to feel let down and bothered by what is happening to her and many other just before christmas and with a new member of the family aswell.:lol:

you cant just have at go at people because they thought there was gonna be more of a sale... it isnt our fault woolies is closing!

carasmam
11-Dec-08, 16:36
Shoppers were like vultures today in Woolies and its not the staffs fault that the sale isn't 'everything half price' but we took some stick today for it.

Thank you to the people who did take the time of day to wish us well for the future, you were few and far between, but I appreciated your kind comments :)

telfordstar
11-Dec-08, 16:40
you cant just have at go at people because they thought there was gonna be more of a sale... it isnt our fault woolies is closing!

Well said is there anyone out there who dosnt like a sale or a bargin? Especially at this tme of year.

balto
11-Dec-08, 16:41
Shoppers were like vultures today in Woolies and its not the staffs fault that the sale isn't 'everything half price' but we took some stick today for it.

Thank you to the people who did take the time of day to wish us well for the future, you were few and far between, but I appreciated your kind comments :)
if only more folk were like that, i am glad i am on maternity leave at the moment, dont think i would have been able to be civil to the people just out for themselves, i know the thurso manager was fit for tieing on saturday, because of all the nasty comments customers were coming out with.

Billy Boy
11-Dec-08, 16:49
i know the thurso manager was fit for tieing on saturday, because of all the nasty comments customers were coming out with.

Lol what do you mean "fit for tieing" Will the manager tie up all the customers who dare to complain :eek:...:lol:

unicorn
11-Dec-08, 17:20
It's a shop that sells goods, of course people are out for what they can get :confused

Venture
11-Dec-08, 17:26
if only more folk were like that, i am glad i am on maternity leave at the moment, dont think i would have been able to be civil to the people just out for themselves, i know the thurso manager was fit for tieing on saturday, because of all the nasty comments customers were coming out with.

...so what happened to "the customer is always right". The fact that the shop is closing down dosen't give the staff the right to turn on the customers. They are still spending their money there and at the end of the day are hopefully helping to reduce the huge debt owed by Woolies.

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 17:29

Nasty comments to any member of staff about the discounts available are bang out of order and should not be tolerated, but i still fail to see how you can be upset at people looking for bargains, it's not their fault that the business has been badly run* and is closing down.

* i do not mean badly run by the staff, i mean by head office, i have always found Woolies staff to be some of the best around.

carasmam
11-Dec-08, 17:29
...so what happened to "the customer is always right". The fact that the shop is closing down dosen't give the staff the right to turn on the customers. They are still spending their money there and at the end of the day are hopefully helping to reduce the huge debt owed by Woolies.

A closing down sale doesn't give the customers the right to be nasty to staff either though does it. It's not the staff that set the prices, its the high heid yins, but its the people on the shop floor taking the stick for something they have no control over. :confused

alistair harper
11-Dec-08, 17:43
I Have always found the staff to be polite in both the wick and thurso stores and yes the staff will be hot under the pressure but look whats happening they could be without a job before christmas and yet they are sticking it out untill the last customer comes through the doors. Manners does not cost, show them a bit of respect would you want to be inn their position just now. I agree we all like bargins and its not clear by the signs on the windows saying 50% sale only to find upto 50% on stickers.

I would like to wish the staff a merry xmas. I Know this wont be what they are thinking but hopefully there will be a silver lineing at the end of this

buffy
11-Dec-08, 17:49
Anyone who is going into Woolies and being rude or nasty to the staff is out of order completely!
But thats a whole different kettle of fish than people who are posting here saying the sale's not that great. It's nothing personal to the staff!!!
As some of you have stated - its not the staff who set the prices, so please please do not take it personally.
I think you will find you have the well deserved sympathy of all of us for ending up in such a terrible situation just before Christmas. Personally I want to help in my own tiny way by buying as much of the stock as I want/can afford so that the whole ordeal can be over for you asap, and hopefully you will all get jobs in whatever business takes over the shop. :D

Mr P Cannop
11-Dec-08, 18:44
Woolies will still have warehouses full of stock that needs to be sold.

seen the van in thurso today about 11.45am

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 19:12
seen the van in thurso today about 11.45am

The Wick store had a lot of stock delivered this morning as well

Gizmo
11-Dec-08, 19:21
I have to say i'm a bit annoyed at some of the comments calling the customers vultures, especially from Woolies staff themselves, Woolies was heaving this morning with people looking for a bargain, exactly the same as it is on boxing day when Woolies have a sale, do the members of staff think the customers are vultures on boxing day as well?

wee machine
11-Dec-08, 19:23
Maybe your one of the staff members purpelady was speaking about being bitter bout her leaving mmmmmmmmmm revenge on the org.

Anyway back on topic its a shame its come to this closing down i for one will miss my trip down with kids on boxing day to spend their christmas money. Shame on staff as well.

No no am most defo not bitter . . . .am not a bitter person and revenge on the the org i think not

Melancholy Man
11-Dec-08, 19:34
...so what happened to "the customer is always right".

It's not enshrined in law or any moral code known to me.

The fact that the shop is closing down dosen't give the staff the right to turn on the customers. I wonder how you would feel if, faced with the loss of your job, you were spoken to like a skivvy just 'cos there were no X-Boxes or Doctor Who D.V.D.s on cheap. Sick as a parrot is my guess. There is a clear difference between this, which is the end for them, and Boxing Day which is simply a busier day in an ongoing year.

They are still spending their money there and at the end of the day are hopefully helping to reduce the huge debt owed by Woolies.Oh, that must be a huge relief to the staff on bare minimum wages who've just had the rug pulled from under their feet before Xmas, to know that the £50 or so they've earned today is reward for helping reducing the debt run up over an extended period as it long since known Woolies had a rubbish business model. Richard North and Steve Johnson will surely be joining them at the jobcentre of Monday.

bird
11-Dec-08, 19:52
I really do wish the best to all past and present staff at Woollies - they've been so friendly over the years and deserve better!! News tonight says Iceland will be buying some of the stores so some will keep jobs after all - fingers crossed for us up here!!!!

carasmam
11-Dec-08, 20:39
I have to say i'm a bit annoyed at some of the comments calling the customers vultures, especially from Woolies staff themselves, Woolies was heaving this morning with people looking for a bargain, exactly the same as it is on boxing day when Woolies have a sale, do the members of staff think the customers are vultures on boxing day as well?

Sorry, point taken. I should've said some - I was only meaning the rude ones anyway and shouldn't have generalised.

I haven't worked at a Boxing Day sale so cant comment on that.

igglepiggle
11-Dec-08, 21:18
when we were in inverness at the weekend, it was the same sale down there as it was here, the staff in both shops looks stressed and harrassed, it is so busy no one can hardly move, but i agree everyone likes a bargin!!:roll: i feel for them at this time of year especially for their jobs. i hope they get bought over by someone so they can start a fresh new year with some good news:)

percy toboggan
11-Dec-08, 21:24

I am sorry the public displayed its sorrier face at Woolworths branches up and down the country today. I didn't go to my own local one but if I had I'd have been wishing the staff well. Most of them are long serving and loyal...this must be a desperately uncertain time for you all.

You've been let down by management failings and the growth of multi-faceted competition. I think the Woolworth 'brand' lacked focus and sadly access to so many of the shops is best achieved on foot. Todays shopper demands a decent sized car park adjacent or close.I'm sure some branches will have an extended life under a different owner...I hope things work out for you.

I have many memories of a Woolworth's store when I was a kid - it regularly claimed my pocket money which was a decent wedge back then with several relatives living next door. I remember the 'winfield' brand and found out only yesterday that this is the middle name of the founder Frank W Woolworth.

Good luck

balto
11-Dec-08, 22:05
dont think anyone said that it was the customers fault woolies is closing, just wish they would have a bit more thought for the staff about to lose their jobs.

cuddlepop
11-Dec-08, 22:06
Was in Woolies today in Inverness and indeed it was a sorry site.
Shelves bear,stressed staff and unhappy shoppers because the bargain wasnt a bargain.10% of is still a reduction.:confused

I wish every member of Woolies staff a Merry Christmas and a big thank you for all my happy pocket money shops of the past.Staff were alwas brilliant at helping me make my mind up and being so very patient with an undecisive child.

I sincerly hope that your jobs are safe and if not all payment due to you in the New Year is forth coming.:D

balto
11-Dec-08, 22:06
Lol what do you mean "fit for tieing" Will the manager tie up all the customers who dare to complain :eek:...:lol:
think she was refering to the darn right rude and nasty customers, she had to suffer since the news was announced.

purplelady
11-Dec-08, 23:55
I feel for you hun as you know i could have easy been in your situation and like you say p45s for xmas not good cannot remeber how many in wick but a fair few and to be honest where will they find jobs just thank my lucky stars as a single mum would have been very hard x

purplelady
12-Dec-08, 00:02
Sorry, point taken. I should've said some - I was only meaning the rude ones anyway and shouldn't have generalised.

I haven't worked at a Boxing Day sale so cant comment on that.I have and to be honest has been so mad any rude comments would go over your head I am so sorry for all woolies staff here and all over the country i really am

buffy
12-Dec-08, 15:44
I've just been in thurso woolies and heard a woman having a right go at one of the staff. I wasn't eavesdropping and I didn't hear much of what was said but she was being really difficult and rude. I felt so sorry for the sales man. :mad: If I was a bit braver I'd have said something!

Ash
12-Dec-08, 16:04
I've just been in thurso woolies and heard a woman having a right go at one of the staff. I wasn't eavesdropping and I didn't hear much of what was said but she was being really difficult and rude. I felt so sorry for the sales man. :mad: If I was a bit braver I'd have said something!

i was in today helping my brother with his xmas shopping...alot of rude ppl... no one would move out the way and if u did say excuse me that she blanked u [evil]

Brian & Roisin
12-Dec-08, 19:46
yeah, i know i work in woolworths in wick

went into work today and first customer i served actually said " wheres all the 50% off " i replied its about somewhere, gota look out for it sir
he actually said, yeah, but its all S*&t that we dont need, why dont you put decent stuff on the sale that we actually need and give some decent
discount off the stock.
i actually couldnt reply to him and had to walk away from the shop floor.

balto
12-Dec-08, 22:47

went into work today and first customer i served actually said " wheres all the 50% off " i replied its about somewhere, gota look out for it sir
he actually said, yeah, but its all S*&t that we dont need, why dont you put decent stuff on the sale that we actually need and give some decent
discount off the stock.
disgustiing, how you managed to keep your cool with an idiot like that is beynd me, i am just glad i am on maternity leave at the moment, as i dont think i could handle it, went in today and i doubt i will go back, as it is just to upsetting and depressing the happiness from most of the staff has gone, think they are just getting on with it, sad sad times

scorrie
12-Dec-08, 22:48

discount off the stock.

That was out of order, local staff can hardly set the prices for items.

In my experience, most people attending sales are NOT there to get a bargain on anything they actually NEED. You don't suddenly develop a need for something just because there is a sale on. What actually happens is that people hear about a sale and start dreaming about Wii consoles selling for £10. They TRY to tell themselves that it is unrealistic and simply cannot happen, they even go one step further and say "Hey, we already HAVE a Wii"
Then, the VITAL notion kicks in and overwhelms ALL logical thought. That is the sheer terror of the thought that SOMEONE ELSE will get those POTENTIAL bargains if THEY am not there, in the queue, as early as possible. Imagine the sheer shame of talking to someone you know and being told that THEY got a bargain, whilst you missed out!!

There is nothing more certain that will drive a person who does not need something, straight to that very item than the idea of someone else getting it.

I liked Woolies and the staff were very good in the main. I hope they can find other jobs. I have tried to use Woolies, where possible, for games, music and garden items. I don't mind paying a couple of quid more on a DS game or whatever but I DO shop online when the difference is relatively high.

I listed a few businesses in Wick that might feel the march of the bigger supermarkets more than two years ago on this forum. Woolies was one and RS Waters was another, people will argue that it might have happened anyway but I still stand by the theory that there is only so much money to go around, jobs that require us to spend/borrow more can only last so long.

Good luck to all Woolies staff.

Venture
12-Dec-08, 23:36
I heard today that the Wool Shop on High Street is closing at the end of the year. Such a shame if it is true.:(

teenybash
12-Dec-08, 23:46
It is a sad state of affairs to see Woolies disappearing. Like everyone I feel for the staff who have to try and cope with losing their much needed jobs.
I fear some other big names will probably go down the same slippery slope after Christmas.

Mr Brown you have done a grand job both as chancellor then prime minister having spent all of our tomorrows.....................A true leader?[disgust]

purplelady
12-Dec-08, 23:50

discount off the stock.
good on you gri best to keep your cool with them they are nor worth getting upset with do they not realise by new year you guys may have no jobs keep your chin up easier said than done i know x

purplelady
12-Dec-08, 23:55
It is a sad state of affairs to see Woolies disappearing. Like everyone I feel for the staff who have to try and cope with losing their much needed jobs.
I fear some other big names will probably go down the same slippery slope after Christmas.

Mr Brown you have done a grand job both as chancellor then prime minister having spent all of our tomorrows.....................A true leader?[disgust]
teenybash I do not think we can blame MR Brown for all of this it is a world wide problem the banks should never have kept lending the company money surely they could see they were havind problems geez allowing them to get into £395 million pound plus debt is just not accepable x

EDDIE
13-Dec-08, 00:03
its quite sad really to see woolies close down the woolies in thurso has been at that same location for years im 38 and i think its been there before i was born but like everything is in life things change.
But i think the internet and big superstores has a lot to do with woolies sales going down.

Gizmo
13-Dec-08, 00:36

discount off the stock.

You should have told him exactly where to go, it's not like you'd get the sack over it, is it then?, honestly...if that was me i would have told him to sling his hook...but with a lot more colourful language than that, or get your manager to ban him from the store for being rude to the staff....that would be just the thing for the git, especially when the prices do get slashed a bit more :D

Alli
13-Dec-08, 01:07
All this abuse that these staff are receiving up and down the country and especially our local staff is disgusting. For all you ignorant bargin hunters out there, front line staff are not there to take you pent up frustrations because you cannont get an extra few pounds off something that will more than likely lie in the back of a cupboard gathering dust and using up space that could've actually been put to better use in the first place! How would you like your daughter,son, mother, granny, auntie etc...etc to come home and tell you that they were verbally abused by a member of the bargin hunting public. I think this minority should hang their heads in shame and just remember that all these staff members are more than likely to be made redundant from there jobs. Jobs are few and far between nowadays and these people have the same day to day bills as all of us, ie mortgage, gas etc...............
I have been in the same position as these people. Most of the staff in Woolies have probably paid into pensions schemes and these schemes are probably going to take a few years to sort out. I for one am still waiting for news of my pension.
Spare a thought for all these people, who, after all are contributing to society and paying their taxes and not lying on the dole because they cannont be bothered to get a job. (But's that another rant!!)
My heart goes out to you all in woolies and at time when it supposed to be peace and goodwill to all men (& women) you are subjected to utter rubbish that we have been hearing about. I hope you all, when the time comes walk out the woolies door with your heads held high and thank god your not has ignornant as some of the low lives you have had the misfortune to deal with over the last few weeks. Good Luck in finding new jobs if they do close woolies in Wick. Rant Over!!

EDDIE
13-Dec-08, 09:56
i think a lot of people dont relise that if u have a job that involves dealing with customers its suprising how much hasstle u get off customers how arogant some people are and some customers think its there right to have a go at the seller or there staff but thankfully there in the minority.

mccaugm
13-Dec-08, 11:26
I am devestated about the closure as I like the store and am sorry that the staff will lose their jobs. My friend works in the Thurso store and is a gem of a person who, if what I am hearing is true, does not need verbal abuse in the run up to Christmas from greedy, ignorant numpties who are angling for a bargain. She is about to lose her job...THINK ABOUT THAT while you rifle for a bargain....grrr[evil]

hotrod4
13-Dec-08, 11:59
It will be such a shame to lose woolies.What about the "fatcats" that run the place? I bet they will still walk away with a big fat cheque while those that work on the front line will get nowt.
I certainly wouldnt employ anyone from that company who takes a big payoff after running the place into so much debt, but whats the betting they will walk into future employment?
feel sorry for the front line staff,its such a shame that the company was run by a bunch of Numpties.[evil]

teenybash
13-Dec-08, 15:23
teenybash I do not think we can blame MR Brown for all of this it is a world wide problem the banks should never have kept lending the company money surely they could see they were havind problems geez allowing them to get into £395 million pound plus debt is just not accepable x

Yes Purplelady, I agree with you and I do not blame Mr Brown etc for the world recession but, I do feel he is responsible for Britain fairing very badly during this difficult time. The reason for this is he did not hold anything in reserve to help support the UK economy, where other countries did which is resulting in them coping a bit better.:)

catran
13-Dec-08, 22:26
What a shame that it is closing, a local landmark in Wick. Hope someone buys the building as the town centre will be lost without a focal point.

However, what a hue and a cry - in a sales job it is always the front line staff who get the flak. No word of all the other industries and businesses that have floundered over the years such as the Leather Factory, Scottish Instruments, Knitting Factory, The Wellington Centre, Pearl Assurance, Norwich Union, Prudential, R S Waters, Fishing boats, J S Duncan, just to name about a few and no big outcry. I feel quite sure some of those made redundant from these businesses needed a job as well as Woolies staff and nobody even gave them a kind thought,they just had to fish around for a new job. Hopefully they will find something to do but the outlook is gloomy but never mind if Asda and Matalin comes they all might get employment.

Things Come and go.

purplelady
14-Dec-08, 00:23
As you know i worked for woollies till end of oct and today i got a leeter saying I owed them £114 due to over payment of holiday pay bearing in mind they still owe me 2 weeks wages and was told but head office that i would not get it till adminstraters had finished in other words am not getting it i think they have a cheek asking for that money from me was overpayment of holiday pay so they say do not see how thought holiday pay was based on the yr before but they will have to wait till after xmas no way can afford that just before xmas am spitting feathers over it to be honest x

Venture
14-Dec-08, 00:30
Everyone is so wrapped up in what might be happening with Woolworths that they have forgotten about those in the tax office who will be loosing their jobs too.:(

Gizmo
14-Dec-08, 00:54
Everyone is so wrapped up in what might be happening with Woolworths that they have forgotten about those in the tax office who will be loosing their jobs too.:(

Yeah but not for 3 years yet

sweetpea
14-Dec-08, 02:52
What a shame that it is closing, a local landmark in Wick. Hope someone buys the building as the town centre will be lost without a focal point.

However, what a hue and a cry - in a sales job it is always the front line staff who get the flak. No word of all the other industries and businesses that have floundered over the years such as the Leather Factory, Scottish Instruments, Knitting Factory, The Wellington Centre, Pearl Assurance, Norwich Union, Prudential, R S Waters, Fishing boats, J S Duncan, just to name about a few and no big outcry. I feel quite sure some of those made redundant from these businesses needed a job as well as Woolies staff and nobody even gave them a kind thought,they just had to fish around for a new job. Hopefully they will find something to do but the outlook is gloomy but never mind if Asda and Matalin comes they all might get employment.

Things Come and go.

Too true, all great places...

Aaldtimer
14-Dec-08, 03:49

Things Come and go.

Get your point, but most of those were before the rise of the "Org", where everyone can come on and have a wee crack!;)

Aaldtimer
14-Dec-08, 03:52
As you know i worked for woollies till end of oct and today i got a leeter saying I owed them £114 due to over payment of holiday pay bearing in mind they still owe me 2 weeks wages and was told but head office that i would not get it till adminstraters had finished in other words am not getting it i think they have a cheek asking for that money from me was overpayment of holiday pay so they say do not see how thought holiday pay was based on the yr before but they will have to wait till after xmas no way can afford that just before xmas am spitting feathers over it to be honest x

Purplelady, do you think you could maybe stick a wee comma or a full stop in now and again for us auld ains? I find it really difficult to make sense of your post.:cool:

Metalattakk
14-Dec-08, 05:13
Purplelady, do you think you could maybe stick a wee comma or a full stop in now and again for us auld ains? I find it really difficult to make sense of your post.:cool:

I'm thoroughly agree.

Jebus H. Corbett, the rule is: "Enunciate, Fluctuate but by God at least, Punctuate!"

Venture
14-Dec-08, 12:25
Yeah but not for 3 years yet

Should the majority of employees in the tax office opt for early retirement, it could be sooner than that.

carasmam
14-Dec-08, 21:24

There was a thread about the Tax Office weeks ago http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=62949

ps Catran - You forgot about Grampian Records !!

Vistravi
14-Dec-08, 22:15
Feel sorry for the staff and know how they feel as i was in the minority that worked with somerfield and if tesco had not bought us over we'd have gone down the same path. I know that made is different to woolworths and i'm glad we had a buyer. Outlook for woolworths is not that lucky and the poor staff who have slaved away and served all us customers over the years are going to be left out in the cold.

But as someone else has mentioned before in a post online buying of amazon and ebay is partily to blame as they offer customers the same item at mostly a much cheaper price and with bills, rent and kids to keep on top of nobody can blame people going for the cheaper option. If woolworths bosses had made the effort to compete with the online sites maybe then people would have bought more in woolworths instead of going elsewhere. It is down to the companies bad buisness ethniciate that this is happening.

Hopefully a buyer comes in for the stores and the staff will keep their jobs, as because jobs are so thin on the ground it would only mean more people out of work and not a hope fo getting something else up here.:~(

purplelady
15-Dec-08, 00:04
woolworths did have an online service and a lot of thing were cheaper than in store one of the problems i found with was a lot of times things were out of stock it is a real shame for woolies do hope someone buys it and soon but time is running out x

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-08, 00:12
About woolies...i am so sad that they are closing! Usually my partner, me and his kids like going down the street to get the kiddies a wee toy car or have a browse at xbox games and things. Woolies is the only shop i tend to go down the street for cos it seems to be one of the only "pram friendly" shops for me being a learner with a pram! LOL!

But im was so sad when the news broke out about it! :(

What else is there in Thurso that is a general store like that with different things in it! Poo!

telfordstar
15-Dec-08, 13:40
I for one will miss the boxing day sales sometimes it wasna up to much but still got a barging and kids got games with there xmas money. Such a shame.

mmmm what charity shop will take its place i wonder.:roll:

silverfox57
17-Dec-08, 15:31
just heard on 5 live that all woolies are to close on the 4jan
must be heart breaking news for all the staff,

Geo
17-Dec-08, 20:44
Stores to start closing on 27th Dec and all closed by 5th January.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/woolworths-stores-to-begin-closing-december-27

I'm really surprised they haven't found a buyer. Terrible news for the staff.

balto
17-Dec-08, 22:05
well must sayas a woolies employee i am gutted that this has happened, but i am one of the lucky ones, as i am on maternity leave the social have to pay me maternity allowance for the full 9 months, so at least it buys me a bit more time than the rest of them, still would have prefered to have my job mind you.

Gizmo
17-Dec-08, 22:23
That's sad sad news, i was really hoping that a suitable buyer would be found, the high street is going to feel a lot different without Woolies.

balto
17-Dec-08, 22:27
That's sad sad news, i was really hoping that a suitable buyer would be found, the high street is going to feel a lot different without Woolies.
it would have been good if a buyer had been found, but rumour has it that tesco will be heading in woolies direction to give out application forms, so that excisting woolies staff can get priority on any jobs that come up, so a nice thought from tesco.

Gizmo
17-Dec-08, 22:40
it would have been good if a buyer had been found, but rumour has it that tesco will be heading in woolies direction to give out application forms, so that excisting woolies staff can get priority on any jobs that come up, so a nice thought from tesco.

Makes sense really, with Tesco taking over every inch of the planet it's only right that they take on Woolies staff, welcome to Planet Tesco, i'm sure they will be changing their motto from 'Every Little Helps' to the classic quote from 'The Highlander' movie....'There Can Be Only One' :lol:

cuddlepop
17-Dec-08, 22:43
At least you've got Tesco's that x Woolworths employes can contact for a job, in Stornoway they dont have that luxury.:~(

balto
17-Dec-08, 22:45
Makes sense really, with Tesco taking over every inch of the planet it's only right that they take on Woolies staff, welcome to Planet Tesco, i'm sure they will be changing their motto from 'Every Little Helps' to the classic quote from 'The Highlander' movie....'There Can Be Only One' :lol:
aye it is sense really, and it looks good on them to be seen to be helping out the community, i doubt if it will be before they open up the new store at the mart.

balto
17-Dec-08, 22:46
At least you've got Tesco's that x Woolworths employes can contact for a job, in Stornoway they dont have that luxury.:~(
aye feel for you all, i can only assume jobs are harder to come buy across there than what they are here.

cuddlepop
17-Dec-08, 23:05
aye feel for you all, i can only assume jobs are harder to come buy across there than what they are here.

I've only been to Stornoway once and its very like how Wick was before the retail park.
There are no job prospects for these unfortunate people.

I'm really sorry for all the Woolies staff that are going to lose their jobs.:~(

balto
17-Dec-08, 23:10
I've only been to Stornoway once and its very like how Wick was before the retail park.
There are no job prospects for these unfortunate people.

I'm really sorry for all the Woolies staff that are going to lose their jobs.:~(
just hope somthing turns up for everyone, but most of them have worked there it is more a way of life than a job, especially the ones that have 10 or more years service under their belts.

purplelady
18-Dec-08, 00:00
I keep hoping someone will buy it but seems more amd more unlikely by the day and i feel for them losing their jobs was chatting to one of the wick staff and he is really stressed with it all getting moaned at by customers about the prices etc xr

sweetpea
18-Dec-08, 00:08
I feel for the staff of both the Wick and Thurso stores. They will get the usual gov nonsense about transferrable skills and re-training shoved down their throats no doubt. I couldn't bear to go into the place since this all became public cos I feel like I'm robbing woolies:eek:

Vistravi
18-Dec-08, 00:14

Can't see this happening. I work in tesco and i don't think tesco wil be taking anyone on at all.

Venture
18-Dec-08, 09:41
I heard yesterday that Macdonald's Cafe in the Precinct is now closed and the bakery is only open till 2 pm. Anyone confirm this.:(

sandyr
18-Dec-08, 10:09
FYI....Tesco World!
Bought a box of cookies in the Toronto area yesterday, made and packaged in Denmark and a 'Tesco' Label on them...... They do seem to get around...........

balto
18-Dec-08, 11:19
Can't see this happening. I work in tesco and i don't think tesco wil be taking anyone on at all.
well what with the new store hopefully going up in thurso, there will be jobs available, and i have it from a good source that they are going to go and see the staff in the thurso woolies armed with application forms.

littleChick
18-Dec-08, 15:20
well what with the new store hopefully going up in thurso, there will be jobs available, and i have it from a good source that they are going to go and see the staff in the thurso woolies armed with application forms.

That will be great and I know it's a while off yet before the new store gets going, but it doesn't take long to get it up and open, look at how quick they got the Wick store up and running... And then they can do a restructure of all the staff which were taken over from Sommerfields and get rid of the ones who don't pull there weight..... :D

purplelady
19-Dec-08, 00:23
Not sure about Macdonalds cafe but have heard the wool shop is closing down at this rate will be a ghost town xxxxxx

trix
19-Dec-08, 01:00
i think its a guid thing that woolies is closin doon....

am devistated for 'e staff losin their jobs, its awful an i wish ye's all 'e best. end o' an era some mite say!!

however, we hev til look til 'e future, woolies is dated now, far too expensive....and BORING!!!

we, the public seem til go for cheap an cheerful now. wi' all yon stores doon in 'e cities woolies seems lek somthin fie 'e dark ages.

ye could hev lek hawkins bizarre or some kind o' shop that sells stuff that ye cana get up here....next or some ither high street store.

weik needs funked up a bity, brought intil 'e 21st century an woolies is weel oot o' date!

its maybe choost what weik needs, some new inspiration...oot wi' 'e auld, in wi 'e new - ats what i say!!

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 01:29
i think its a guid thing that woolies is closin doon....

am devistated for 'e staff losin their jobs, its awful an i wish ye's all 'e best. end o' an era some mite say!!

however, we hev til look til 'e future, woolies is dated now, far too expensive....and BORING!!!

we, the public seem til go for cheap an cheerful now. wi' all yon stores doon in 'e cities woolies seems lek somthin fie 'e dark ages.

ye could hev lek hawkins bizarre or some kind o' shop that sells stuff that ye cana get up here....next or some ither high street store.

weik needs funked up a bity, brought intil 'e 21st century an woolies is weel oot o' date!

its maybe choost what weik needs, some new inspiration...oot wi' 'e auld, in wi 'e new - ats what i say!!

Good grief Trix, if ye wanna be closing shops doon for being dated, expensive and boring then wur only gonna be left wi aboot 3 shops in week....Tesco, Argos and....eh..eh...eh...al get back til ye on at last one :lol:

trix
19-Dec-08, 02:08
Good grief Trix, if ye wanna be closing shops doon for being dated, expensive and boring then wur only gonna be left wi aboot 3 shops in week....Tesco, Argos and....eh..eh...eh...al get back til ye on at last one :lol:

i ken..but its tough at 'e top eh?

woolies is expensive....good makes an stuff but wi matalan an such lek stores, its no wonder they're goin bust....

maybe a beeg multi-store wi hmv an toys are us or somethin....thortons...mmh! think beeg ma friends ;)

woolies choost no a shop thats hittin 'e spot these days, cheaper an more selection else where.

aye, it wis great in 'e days when 'tony' wis a lad, when stores wis all new. mind, before all shops kept their products behind 'e counter....

'e times arna a changin....they hev already changed!!

get wi 'e program guys :Razz

Anne x
19-Dec-08, 02:19
Sorry Trix to disagree not about woolies although they will be a huge loss to the public especially in Wick Thurso Dingwall etc but other well known Stores are in serious trouble as well local brands and big name stores all very modern are going to disappear in 2009
where does it end ?

trix
19-Dec-08, 02:34
i know....its a shame :(

but 'e whole woolies thing, it can only make space for bigger, brighter things.

we live in hope eh?

alot o' people say change is for 'e worst but....its a bit lek politics, we'l never ken if it wis for guid or bad until some time hes passed.....

am gona see what happens before i decide if am sad that woolies hes closed doon. until then...ma gless is half full ;)

me personally, i avoid 'e street at all costs so its no a shop that i ever take a gander roond....

tesco's? now yer talkin...!

am a modern girl, livin in a modern world...i hev no time til sight-see roond woolies an no spare cash til spend on impulsive buys that i hev no need for....
i lek til do ma shoppin wi a gless o' vino (or coffee) an ma 'paypal' ;)

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 02:41
i ken..but its tough at 'e top eh?

woolies is expensive....good makes an stuff but wi matalan an such lek stores, its no wonder they're goin bust....

maybe a beeg multi-store wi hmv an toys are us or somethin....thortons...mmh! think beeg ma friends ;)

woolies choost no a shop thats hittin 'e spot these days, cheaper an more selection else where.

aye, it wis great in 'e days when 'tony' wis a lad, when stores wis all new. mind, before all shops kept their products behind 'e counter....

'e times arna a changin....they hev already changed!!

get wi 'e program guys :Razz

HMV?? are ye off yer heed Trix?...probably best not to answer that :lol:, HMV are not cheap in the slightest, for a non-chart cd you can be looking at anything up to £17.99, and for chart cds/games/dvds they are no cheaper than Woolies were, outside of chart goods HMV is the most overpriced of all the high st entertainment retailers, they might be cheap online..but not on the high st.
There is not a snowballs chance in hell that any stand-alone entertainment or toy store would survive in Wick, there is just not the population to sustain any more of those types of businesses, Tesco and Argos have that area well and truly covered, there is no dedicated entertainment or toy store that could come to the area and compete price wise with them, so what would be the point?

trix
19-Dec-08, 02:53
HMV?? are ye off yer heed Trix?...probably best not to answer that, HMV are a hellva lot more expensive than Woolies ever were, for a non-chart cd you can be looking at anything up to £17.99, and for chart cds/games/dvds they are no cheaper than Woolies were, outside of chart goods HMV is the most overpriced of all the high st entertainment retailers, they might be cheap online..but not on the high st.
There is not a snowballs chance in hell that any stand-alone entertainment or toy store would survive in Wick, there is just not the population to sustain any more of those types of businesses, Tesco and Argos have that area well and truly covered, there is no dedicated entertainment or toy store that could come to the area and compete price wise with them, so what would be the point?

laffin ma ass off....hmv - i wis tryin til lure ye in til ma way o' thinkin [lol]

well, somethin ither then....

bodyshop, or lek i said hawkins bizarre :lol: (cany stop laffin)

they could turn e market square intil a proper market, lek doon in 'e citys...clothes, cheap tops that only stan' 3 washes...but what do ye expect for 3 kwid?? cheap an nasty, bring it on - street millin!

macdonalds!!? rite where woolies are...rite in 'e toon centre!

picture hoose up 'e street in 'at diabolical excuse for a buildin (where 'e niteclub wis) a couple o' ither fancy shops.

weik could be thrivin.....gie us cheap an cheerful...gie us an atmosphere ;)

floyed
19-Dec-08, 09:52
I have to agree with Trix.

Would love to see some new shops that are affordable on the street.

I go online for most of my shopping now and do the food shopping in Tesco occasionally go to coop for bits and bobs.

Great idea Trix having a Market in the square selling cheap clothes and stuff and MacDonald ect, it would be great and would put life back in to the town.:D

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 12:01
The problem with all these ideas for town centre regeneration boils down to one thing, money, Wick has a pretty small population and there is only so much money to be spread around, Tesco has a firm hold on the wallets and purses of your averge Wicker these days, they also pretty much cover all your shopping needs and any speciallity store opening in the town centre will just not be able to complete price wise.

Bodyshop?, that's a niche market, might do ok in Wick, but is hardly going to appeal to the majority of Wickers, it's also a very expensive shop these days.
Hawkins Bazaar?, a great little shop for buying gifts, but is it a sustainble business all year round in a small town?, i very much doubt it, there are already two similar types of business in Wick already, The Gift Box and Gails Gifts, a Hawkins Bazaar in the town centre would probably see the end of those two.

As for a cinema in Wick, you only have to look at the empty seats in the All Star Factory to relalise that's a bad idea, Caithness folk are great for shouting about how great it would be to have things like cinema etc, and when they first open everyone piles in, but then once the novelty wears off good ole Caithnesian apathy kicks in and everyone just heads back to the pub.

Sorry to be so negative, but this is just the way i see it from what has hppened in the past, and there is no point in filling Wick with all these nice and different shops until the Caithness economy has a hell of a lot more cash injected into it.

wee machine
19-Dec-08, 19:25
The problem with all these ideas for town centre regeneration boils down to one thing, money, Wick has a pretty small population and there is only so much money to be spread around, Tesco has a firm hold on the wallets and purses of your averge Wicker these days, they also pretty much cover all your shopping needs and any speciallity store opening in the town centre will just not be able to complete price wise.

Bodyshop?, that's a niche market, might do ok in Wick, but is hardly going to appeal to the majority of Wickers, it's also a very expensive shop these days.
Hawkins Bazaar?, a great little shop for buying gifts, but is it a sustainble business all year round in a small town?, i very much doubt it, there are already two similar types of business in Wick already, The Gift Box and Gails Gifts, a Hawkins Bazaar in the town centre would probably see the end of those two.

As for a cinema in Wick, you only have to look at the empty seats in the All Star Factory to relalise that's a bad idea, Caithness folk are great for shouting about how great it would be to have things like cinema etc, and when they first open everyone piles in, but then once the novelty wears off good ole Caithnesian apathy kicks in and everyone just heads back to the pub.

Sorry to be so negative, but this is just the way i see it from what has hppened in the past, and there is no point in filling Wick with all these nice and different shops until the Caithness economy has a hell of a lot more cash injected into it.

I agree with you on the fact the Novelty wears off with a cinema. . . Also the store is absolute massive and it going to b sittin empty for god knws how long it such a bloody shame!:~(:~(

trix
19-Dec-08, 19:54

ba-hum-bug!!! :Razz [lol]

Gizmo
19-Dec-08, 20:08
ba-hum-bug!!! :Razz [lol]

:lol: c'mon now Trix-a-belle...i lay down a challenge for ya, where is all the extra money going to come from to sustain all these new businesses?, are ye gonna be sharing oot a beeg lottery win that we dinna ken aboot?

ar1ling
19-Dec-08, 22:30
all i like to say: shocked by it, seems woolworth is so popular here. and sad for it, since there will be many people lose their jobs.:(

wee machine
22-Dec-08, 19:35
Its so sad the shop is so empty!! it sad times :~(:~(:~(

percy toboggan
22-Dec-08, 19:46
My work today took me into a distribution depot on the outskirts of Mancunia. Red lorries - no yellow ones - much in abundance. The trailers looked paint-faded and past their best - more importantly most of them were not going anywhere.

I commiserated with the man who assisted me - almost 40 years on his only job since leaving school. I'm not sure which was the sadder...his impending joblessness or the fact that he'd never done anything else in all that time. He was an agreeable soul and I wished him, and his colleagues well. I hope pensions are preserved - even thuogh I've only got a meagre one to look forward to myself.

Another acquaintance at a different company has just reitred...after 42 years driving a fork-lift for the same firm. I'm suree there is something to be said for 'loyalty' if that's the right word but I don't really regret my 27 jobs of varying length and type.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 20:07
Im so sad about woolies! Breaks my heart to go down there because of how empty it is!! It was the place to get decently priced toys, dvds, games, household equipment! :~(

Ash
22-Dec-08, 20:12
on sky website says woolies closes 29th dec wick and thurso

was in today and fixtures and fittings all up for sale... it is very sad!

big kahuna
22-Dec-08, 20:34
Im so sad about woolies! Breaks my heart to go down there because of how empty it is!! It was the place to get decently priced toys, dvds, games, household equipment! :~(

are you having a laugh, there was precious little reasonably priced stuff in woolies at all. the company was way behind the times and stocked a little of everything and a lot of nothing. i'm not in the least bit upset or disapointed. (except for all the people who are losing their jobs)

in fact the worse thing about it is that we will probably be stuck with yet another charity shop

balto
22-Dec-08, 22:43
on sky website says woolies closes 29th dec wick and thurso

was in today and fixtures and fittings all up for sale... it is very sad!
both wick and thurso close on the 30th thats the day the shop ceases trade.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 23:03
are you having a laugh, there was precious little reasonably priced stuff in woolies at all. the company was way behind the times and stocked a little of everything and a lot of nothing. i'm not in the least bit upset or disapointed. (except for all the people who are losing their jobs)

in fact the worse thing about it is that we will probably be stuck with yet another charity shop

I mean for some things, like the woolies own stuff! When my son was born i never knew he would be so small for long so i got alot of small sized baby grows cheap, also got pillows for my bed etc etc...Also the toys like the lightening Mcqueen stuff..my other halfs kids love that and i didnt mind them geting a wee car like that when we went down because they were a couple of pound!

Fair enough the pix & Mix was a RIP OFF! And quite alot of other things!

And yea, suppose we have another charity shop to look forward too! Bring us something decent!

There was a rumor going around it was meant to become a pound stretcher...but thats a rumor! :confused

balto
22-Dec-08, 23:08
I mean for some things, like the woolies own stuff! When my son was born i never knew he would be so small for long so i got alot of small sized baby grows cheap, also got pillows for my bed etc etc...Also the toys like the lightening Mcqueen stuff..my other halfs kids love that and i didnt mind them geting a wee car like that when we went down because they were a couple of pound!

Fair enough the pix & Mix was a RIP OFF! And quite alot of other things!

And yea, suppose we have another charity shop to look forward too! Bring us something decent!

There was a rumor going around it was meant to become a pound stretcher...but thats a rumor! :confusedhiya work in woolies and so far none of the shops have been bought over, it is nice to think that someone will go in to it soon.

ShelleyCowie
22-Dec-08, 23:13
hiya work in woolies and so far none of the shops have been bought over, it is nice to think that someone will go in to it soon.

Thanks for clearing that up for us orgers! :D

It will be good for something to go into the store....hopefully a good shop with varieties like woolies had..i liked going in there and having household, sweets, dvds, music etc etc all in one store!

balto
22-Dec-08, 23:15
Thanks for clearing that up for us orgers! :D

It will be good for something to go into the store....hopefully a good shop with varieties like woolies had..i liked going in there and having household, sweets, dvds, music etc etc all in one store!
aye hopefully it wont be long before something goes in its place, and we all get our jobs back. and the town gets another shop, was thinking today we now need a toy shop as there isnt any decent ones in thurso now.

TBH
22-Dec-08, 23:36
Wick and it's surrounding Villages, like Thurso, are being moulded in the shape of many other towns in Scotland.
It's called progress but is just another form of control.

bagpuss
23-Dec-08, 00:32
Or even a M&S food only shop?

Woolies was struggling against newer competition, like every other town centre shop. Those that will survive adapt to a changing environment. Last time I was north I went for a walk round Thurso- loads of touristy type gift shops and things that caught the eye- they've cottoned on to the fact they're on the Orkney tourist route. Wick alas isn't- and unless John O Groats gets its act together, they'll be catering to the locals and to people heading to the retail parks. Woolies was a big shop in the town centre- but even it lost out when the precinct was pedestrianised. I gather M&S have expressed interest- but only if parking was allowed there. So......why not give it a whirl? It would at least keep jobs in the town, and I don't think the smaller local retailers would complain if people came into town and stayed around for a look

trix
23-Dec-08, 00:54
Wick and it's surrounding Villages, like Thurso, are being moulded in the shape of many other towns in Scotland.
It's called progress but is just another form of control.

explain yersel TBH....in laymans terms please ;)

TBH
23-Dec-08, 01:13
explain yersel TBH....in laymans terms please ;)What is there to explain? Wick is an identikit of many other towns in Scotland.
Freedom of choice is no longer an issue.

sweetpea
23-Dec-08, 01:16
I feel sorry fo the folk that work there, locally.

purplelady
24-Dec-08, 00:02
just back from perth and to see woollies in such a mess is so so sad i feel for all who will lose their jobs but it will be easier for those in big towns and cities to find something am sure x

Vistravi
24-Dec-08, 00:04
When i was working in my store today i served a woolie staff member who told me that the shop was closing in a week and they'd all be going on the doe. it's the way of this county. if you want a decent job you have to move away cos they is nothing going to me left here. my partner thinks the town will be revived in five years or so but to be honest i don;t don't agree and i don't plan on sticking around to finding out.

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 00:09
What is there to go down the street for...That is what depresses me about Thurso! I love all the scenery and things but there is nothing here!

Yes there is some activities but the rising prices of things really put me off doing so many activities! I used to enjoy just browsing in woolies! I had a wish list goin even in there!!

What is there to go down the street for apart from to pay your rent?! You wont go down the street and say "oh i need to go to the jewlers cos i know they are getting a new ring in today". not like woolies! I would say "Red Alert 3 is in....lets go!" lol!

Vistravi
24-Dec-08, 01:02
What is there to go down the street for...That is what depresses me about Thurso! I love all the scenery and things but there is nothing here!

Yes there is some activities but the rising prices of things really put me off doing so many activities! I used to enjoy just browsing in woolies! I had a wish list goin even in there!!

What is there to go down the street for apart from to pay your rent?! You wont go down the street and say "oh i need to go to the jewlers cos i know they are getting a new ring in today". not like woolies! I would say "Red Alert 3 is in....lets go!" lol!

Totally agree with you. There is nothing here and it's a depressing place to live. People go on about oh there's this to do and theres that but there's nothing here.
It's a safe place to bring your kids up but for from 16 to middle aged there is nothing here. is it any wonder that so many people as soon as they finish school move away to uni and never come back?! It's a boring life up here.

ShelleyCowie
24-Dec-08, 01:09
Totally agree with you. There is nothing here and it's a depressing place to live. People go on about oh there's this to do and theres that but there's nothing here.
It's a safe place to bring your kids up but for from 16 to middle aged there is nothing here. is it any wonder that so many people as soon as they finish school move away to uni and never come back?! It's a boring life up here.

U are right! From 16 onwards there is nothing! The only reason i am still here is family!

There is Pubs...pubs and more pubs! And oh wait...Skins! :eek: Pay £7 to walk around and my feet stick to the ground, getting drinks spilled on me and takes 10 minutes to get oot for a fag! Not for me thanks very much!

Is it any wonder there is vandalism on the streets?! Kids are bored!! What can they do on a Friday/Saturday night?

TBH
24-Dec-08, 01:43
It's the end of an era, Wick has just been assimilated the same as every other town in Scotland.
People were crying out for a tesco or an Asda, they got part of their wish at the expense of the destruction of community life as we know it and now Wick and Thurso are nothing more than an identikit of every other town in Scotland with a nice cobbled precinct, boarded up shops, take aways and charity shops.

purplelady
24-Dec-08, 01:44
i AGREE THERE IS NOTHING HERE I WILL BE OUT OF HERE IN THE NEXT 3 OR SO YEARS NOTHING HERE FOR ME NOW OK HAVE MY KIDS BUT THEY HAVE THIER OWN LIFES TIS ONLY MY SON WHO IS JUST 12 KEEPING ME HERE XXXXXXXXXXXX I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES HAVE A JOB GOT OUT OF WOOLIES IN TIME BUT DID NOT KNOW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN XXXXXXXX

trix
24-Dec-08, 02:10
It's the end of an era, Wick has just been assimilated the same as every other town in Scotland.
People were crying out for a tesco or an Asda, they got part of their wish at the expense of the destruction of community life as we know it and now Wick and Thurso are nothing more than an identikit of every other town in Scotland with a nice cobbled precinct, boarded up shops, take aways and charity shops.

so who would ye say wis responsible for 'iss?

surly it must be 'e public oursels?

maybe online shoppin is 'e cause o' destruction o' communities?

is it anyones fault or is it choost part o' wur 'evolvin' existence?

sassylass
24-Dec-08, 03:30
Reminds me...when we'd buy something at Woolie's, my dad would always say "it was wull worth the price" lol

Kevin Milkins
24-Dec-08, 04:19
I can't say I have ever been a big user of the Woolworth stores wherever I have lived, and for no paticular reason.

If I cannot find a product on the high street that I want I may pop into Woolworth to see if they have it.

Mrs M came home from shopping for my Christmas present today and asked would I give her a lift down to Woolworth's as she has bought me a second hand spanker as my Christmas present and it was too big for her to wheel home.

I decided to have a look around while I was there and did a bit of shopping myself.

Although it's not a shop that I have used a great deal, the little time I spent in there made me feel very sad because I could sense that horrible feeling that the staff must be experencing just now having to give up a job that they thought would go on for ever.

I once went through the same emotions when they closed most of the coal mines in South Wales and it leaves you feeling very let down and hollow.

Good luck and best wishes to all the staff and hope that better times are just around the corner for you all.

PS, For those that are not in the know, a spanker is not a sex toy but a sack truck type of thing.:lol:

anneoctober
24-Dec-08, 10:30
I can't say I have ever been a big user of the Woolworth stores wherever I have lived, and for no paticular reason.

If I cannot find a product on the high street that I want I may pop into Woolworth to see if they have it.

Mrs M came home from shopping for my Christmas present today and asked would I give her a lift down to Woolworth's as she has bought me a second hand spanker as my Christmas present and it was too big for her to wheel home.

I decided to have a look around while I was there and did a bit of shopping myself.

Although it's not a shop that I have used a great deal, the little time I spent in there made me feel very sad because I could sense that horrible feeling that the staff must be experencing just now having to give up a job that they thought would go on for ever.

I once went through the same emotions when they closed most of the coal mines in South Wales and it leaves you feeling very let down and hollow.

Good luck and best wishes to all the staff and hope that better times are just around the corner for you all.

PS, For those that are not in the know, a spanker is not a sex toy but a sack truck type of thing.:lol:
aaaawwwwwwww ! [lol]

Gizmo
24-Dec-08, 11:37

Kevin, that has to be the WORST Christmas present of all time :lol:

Kevin Milkins
24-Dec-08, 11:51
Kevin, that has to be the WORST Christmas present of all time :lol:

Thanks Gizmo.
I am a man of simple needs.:roll:;)

Margaret M.
24-Dec-08, 15:25
Since I have no idea what a spanker is, I had to go to Wikipedia. So which spanker did you get, Kevin? I'm guessing that even though times are hard Woolies did not resort to digging up a dead thoroughbred racehorse. That leaves either a sail for your sailboat, a ballistic missile or someone to administer a spanking?

Buttercup
24-Dec-08, 18:22
Since I have no idea what a spanker is, I had to go to Wikipedia. So which spanker did you get, Kevin? I'm guessing that even though times are hard Woolies did not resort to digging up a dead thoroughbred racehorse. That leaves either a sail for your sailboat, a ballistic missile or someone to administer a spanking?

A spanker is a trolley for moving heavy items. This is one: (I presume this is what he got)[lol]
http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/1d/19/e995_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SEAT-BOX-TROLLY-FOR-ALL-FISHING_W0QQitemZ320327212924QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11 7101QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot ohosting)

wee machine
24-Dec-08, 20:04
Well this was my last Xmas eve working in woolies today and it was possibly the worst day ever working in there . . . There was not one thing that felt christmasy to me at all. . . .And there was alot of tears as my day went on also

Thank you to every one for the lovely comments and support that you have all shown us

Lets just hope next year is a better on

Merry Christmas everyone

xxxx

cuddlepop
24-Dec-08, 20:29
Well this was my last Xmas eve working in woolies today and it was possibly the worst day ever working in there . . . There was not one thing that felt christmasy to me at all. . . .And there was alot of tears as my day went on also

Thank you to every one for the lovely comments and support that you have all shown us

Merry Christmas everyone

xxxx

I wish I could say something that could bring you some christmas cheer.
What has happened to you all I fear is only the start of many more thousands receiving their p45.
All you can hope for is finding employment sooner than the rest.

Thankk you again to each and every woolies employee.
You really where the "wonder of woolies".:D

telfordstar
24-Dec-08, 20:30
A spanker is a trolley for moving heavy items. This is one: (I presume this is what he got)[lol]
http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/1d/19/e995_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SEAT-BOX-TROLLY-FOR-ALL-FISHING_W0QQitemZ320327212924QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11 7101QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot ohosting)

Thanks for that it certinly wasnt what i thought it was :lol:

sandyr
24-Dec-08, 20:39
In North America we call it a Dolly.............Is that better or worse???!

TBH
24-Dec-08, 21:01
In North America we call it a Dolly.............Is that better or worse???!It could be worse, it could be called a dolly spanker.:eek:[lol]

Kevin Milkins
24-Dec-08, 21:37
Thank you buttercup, that is pretty much what I got for Christmas.

It was not that paticuler model, but as close as it gets.

I guess the next question will be "why would anyone want a second hand spanker for Christmas."lol.

Mrs M knows I like something odd or original and practical as a present and she bought me a little bit of history.:Razz

carasmam
24-Dec-08, 21:52

Merry Christmas everyone

xxxx

Just want to second what wee machine said.

This was my first and last Christmas Eve working in Woolies and although I had my santa hat on I didn't feel Christmassy either.
All the customers were so kind today, thanks for all your well wishes.

Thanks also to all the other staff in Woolies - you are a lovely bunch to work with and I have enjoyed my whiley working with you all :D

Merry Christmas and Good Luck for 2009
xxx

scorrie
24-Dec-08, 22:59
In North America we call it a Dolly.............Is that better or worse???!

Is that named after Dolly Parton? I can visualise one for each side, eh? ;)

And the Best Supporting Act award goes to........

ps Were Dolly Partan and Buster Crabbe related?

Merry Christmas.

Brian & Roisin
25-Dec-08, 01:01

Merry Christmas everyone

xxxx

would like to third that then, it was the worst day iv had to work yet and its christmas eve, just non stop, tears everywhere you looked, horible, lets all hope things can get only get better in time.

thank you to everyone who has suported us and shown faith it was very much appriciated and thank you to the fantastic workforce at 495 wick, the best people iv ever worked with in my life, going to miss you all like mad!

wifie
25-Dec-08, 03:43
Thanks buttercup I tried lookin up Kevin's spanker too but was at a loss as to what he might have meant!
Kevin have a spankin good Christmas! ;) [lol]

Kevin Milkins
25-Dec-08, 05:26
Thanks buttercup I tried lookin up Kevin's spanker too but was at a loss as to what he might have meant!
Kevin have a spankin good Christmas! ;) [lol]

Thank you wifie,
I think I will drink too much and get off my trolly,///sack truck///spanker///dolly.!!!lol:lol:

wee machine
26-Dec-08, 01:14
oh my talk about all the skeltons coming out the closet now!

oldmarine
26-Dec-08, 04:24
A long-time great department store has bit the dust. The world depression must be growing to the proportions that existed during post 1929 era.

Ash
26-Dec-08, 08:52
well im gonna close the thread not much else can be said

i wish all the woolies staff well in the future...... i feel sad for them all about losing their jobs..... lets hope 2009 brings them something better

:D