PDA

View Full Version : Shredded paper as bedding?

Dorrie
02-Dec-08, 23:23
Does anyone know if it would be ok to use shredded paper i.e. letters, flyers etc for hen bedding? It has ink on so I am not sure about it.

neepnipper
03-Dec-08, 08:31
No, I wouldn't use shredded paper with ink on as the animal could ingest the ink.

landy
03-Dec-08, 11:32
i have used shredded paper for g pigs and rabbit especially when its cold.have a base of shavings as the paper can not be good at soaking up urine,but also have hay for them to eat.i had no probs with it being eaten.give it a go and try it,esp as its a cheap form of bedding.good luck,caroline:)

Kathy@watten
03-Dec-08, 14:58
I use recycled paper bedding for my horses and my pigs and also my kennelled dogs. I find it to be warm, dry and absorbant a bit of a knack to mucking the stuff out and it then gets double recycled as I then put my used bedding into a cattle court for the cows to mulsh up! Have had no problems with anyone (not even the foals or labrador) eating the bedding as they all have more suitable food and I should imagine it is less than the most appealling fodder for them, and hens would be doubtfull to eat it! All this paper is sourced locally and I feel I am somehow doing a wee pet friendly bit of recycling, as well as keeping my costs down!!

dozy
03-Dec-08, 15:17
The problem with using paper for bedding is that it needs to be double cut ,this stops pets getting paper cuts in places that we dont see .The problem has been known about in the paper recycling business for years and the SSPCA also .So beware that pets can and will suffer from time to time but a watchful owner will look for the signs .... please check websites of pet paperbedding if you are in dought ..hope it helps

porshiepoo
03-Dec-08, 16:36
I've used paper for dogs kennels before and had no adverse effects other than rather grubby looking Dane coats.
You do have to source carefully though and beware of any staples left in.

My hubby managed to get a massive 1 ton bale from Skiach way. It just about managed to fit in his enormous Van and it took us days to bag it as it was so vacuumed. It did work out economical though and i have to say that we still have a few bags of it left over 2 years later.
We bed the Birds of Prey on it and have had no problems so far.

Riffman
03-Dec-08, 19:40
I used to use the stuff from my crosscut shredder for my hamsters, no problems.

Boss
03-Dec-08, 19:55
Does anyone know if it would be ok to use shredded paper i.e. letters, flyers etc for hen bedding? It has ink on so I am not sure about it.

Yes, it's fine.
Paperbedding, is good for most farm livestock too.
It is also environmentally healthy as it disintegrates itself, therefore, no great need for expensive disposal

Daisy
04-Dec-08, 17:38
I have a variety of animals that I use shredded paper for, I dont use newspapers because I am worried about the ink so we buy those big packs of copy paper and shred that, cheap and cheerful. Been doing it for months with no problems

Dorrie
05-Dec-08, 00:46
Thanks for all of the replies. I don't even have a lot but have been doing a bit of "spring cleaning" recently and tidying up a lot of paper. I will try it out and see how it goes and watch out for any adverse effects. Thanks again for replies. :)

AfternoonDelight
16-Dec-08, 14:37
I was going to post this in the free section but someone might see it here instead...

I have 4 black bin bags of shredded paper that i am looking to get rid of - if you want it for small animal bedding please pm me. I'm in Wick so collection only please.

Thanks ;)

unicorn
16-Dec-08, 15:43
typical Lol I am in Thurso and desperate for shredded paper. Been shredding everything all afternoon :lol:

carasmam
16-Dec-08, 15:53
typical Lol I am in Thurso and desperate for shredded paper. Been shredding everything all afternoon :lol:

I'll get shredding again soon - I have a small mountain of paperwork here :D

unicorn
16-Dec-08, 16:32
cheersssssssss :lol: Anyone who has some paper they want rid of please let me know. I have even been phoning round companies :lol:

AfternoonDelight
16-Dec-08, 16:49
PM me your address - I'm up in Thurso on Friday night and I can drop it off to you... :Razz

unicorn
16-Dec-08, 17:45
fantastic, Thanks :D