PDA

View Full Version : birds

smith892316
02-Dec-08, 11:50
anybody missing parakets or similar kind off birds as there are two in next dore garden i am tryin to get them down with ird food but with no joy my number is 896769 if any body is missing them i will try and coax them down

binbob
02-Dec-08, 13:23
anybody missing parakets or similar kind off birds as there are two in next dore garden i am tryin to get them down with ird food but with no joy my number is 896769 if any body is missing them i will try and coax them down

oh..i really hope u manage to get them...they will not survive this cold weather.please keep us updated.

smith892316
02-Dec-08, 17:37
did try and get them by putting bird food down but sorry to say they flew away after about 3 hours cause they kept getting attacted by crows and seaguls also phoned sspca and they said they would have came with a large net but he left it to late if he only came earlery we could have caught them so i hope they are ok

binbob
02-Dec-08, 20:26
did try and get them by putting bird food down but sorry to say they flew away after about 3 hours cause they kept getting attacted by crows and seaguls also phoned sspca and they said they would have came with a large net but he left it to late if he only came earlery we could have caught them so i hope they are ok

well u did ur best...well done.

dancingtaz13
02-Dec-08, 23:08
There's a good chance these birds would have flown away as soon as a net was approached.
One of the birds was later spotted as far as i know about 12.30pm in the middle of town.

stewart4364
03-Dec-08, 14:42
Dancing taz is correct --a net would frighten the birds away. If you have a spare bird cage place it with open side down in your garden with one end propped up with a twig -- a piece of thin string is attached to the twig to allow you to give it a tug when hopefully the bird has entered. Remember to put some seed under the cage. Another method, which some people might consider "cruel" to the bird is to soak the bird with a fairly strong jet of water from a garden hose when the bird is within reach of the water -- the bird has really got to be drenched with water to prevent it flying off. Once you have caught the bird, preferably in a net or if a net is not available throw a light garment, towel or t shirt over it as the parakeet is still able to give you quite a nasty bite if you pick it up in your bare hands. Someone used with birds would be able to catch the bird in their bare hands without getting a bite. Put the bird in a cage and place somewhere reasonably warm to allow the bird to dry out. If birds are in an outside aviary they are quite capable of withstanding the cold the real problem for the escaped birds is lack of food, fresh water especially in this freezing weather and other birds such as crows and gulls attacking them.

Lets hope the birds are captured soon and give them the care and attention they require.

BalmoreSSPCA
03-Dec-08, 20:08
Just a quick update:- The SSPCA Inspector returned one of the birds to its owner this afternoon. Safe and well. Lets hope the other one is sited and captured soon.

stewart4364
03-Dec-08, 20:46
What type of bird escaped and how was it captured?

kcurl100
09-Dec-08, 13:25
hi everyone the birds are greater patagonian conures they belong to me one of the kids let them out by mistake i got one back but not the other im off shore at the moment and have been since they escaped. they were part of a breeding pair. if any one has the other one or sees him or catches him please phone 890594 .unfortunatly its been nearly a week so im not holding out much hope ive had the birds for well over a year and they were semmi tame.thanks to all who tryed to catch them.its a shame its winter they might have lasted a bit longer in the summer