PDA

View Full Version : Rnli

Tighsonas4
30-Nov-08, 18:15
at 715 tonight the rnli are running a documentaryand they are using the longhope lifeboat disaster of 1969 bbc1 regards tony

Kodiak
30-Nov-08, 18:18
at 715 tonight the rnli are running a documentaryand they are using the longhope lifeboat disaster of 1969 bbc1 regards tony

Thanks for this and I have booked it in my SKY Box. :D

JoeSoap
30-Nov-08, 20:49
Am just watching this very interesting programme and they are talking about fundraising at the moment.

I've always wondered why the RNLI isn't Government funded: is it because the Government won't... or because the RNLI doesn't want it?

TRUCKER
30-Nov-08, 21:20
It was a very intresting programme. Lots of very brave people.

domino
30-Nov-08, 21:26
Smashing programme. I really have the greatest admiration for these crews. Remember vivid scenes of the Wick Lifeboat in action in the 40's

pat
30-Nov-08, 21:33
Happened to leave television on after my weekly fix of Antiques Roadshow (only programme I watch regularly) and this programme came on - thought it was very good, wish had set programme to be recorded.

oh and myself are RNLI shop and fundraising volunteers with this very worthwhile organisation.

Cannot pass a penny lying on the ground - into the RNLI box with it, pennies make pounds. Surprising how much guests put in my little triangle box when they know we are RNLI supporters.

Hopefully this will raise many peoples awareness of how and what the RNLI actually do and bring in many more donations.

Tighsonas4
30-Nov-08, 22:41
Smashing programme. I really have the greatest admiration for these crews. Remember vivid scenes of the Wick Lifeboat in action in the 40's
i suppose neil stewart would have cox at that time. i think he was on her during the war and for many years after
billy in scrabster seemed to break down a bit when talking of bring the longhope boat in
have visited the homes of the longhope crew long before the disaster tony

golach
30-Nov-08, 23:53
Nice to see Thurso's Ex Cox Billy Fraquhar contributing to this well presented show

Anne x
01-Dec-08, 13:59
Excellent Programme and very well Narrated we could do with a few more like this to support the wonderful work those volunteers do very brave men everyone of them and to listen to all the stories the coxswains told was very moving

placman
01-Dec-08, 17:15
Is there any way that we could see that prog again as I missed it.

JoeSoap
01-Dec-08, 17:49
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ftg2v/SOS_The_History_of_the_RNLI_in_Scotland/ :)

oldchemist
01-Dec-08, 17:56
Excellent programme - I wonder how many people realise that the RNLI is not goverment funded? It would be great if the BBC would let the RNLI play this on a loop at their fund-raising stalls at events around the country.

bekisman
01-Dec-08, 18:02
Fully support the RNLI (that and the Sally bash are really the only two we give money to)..
Interesting to see that the 'Royal' NLI also has many stations, not only in Great Britain but in Southern Ireland too (historical anomaly?)

domino
02-Dec-08, 22:31
i suppose neil stewart would have cox at that time. i think he was on her during the war and for many years after
billy in scrabster seemed to break down a bit when talking of bring the longhope boat in
have visited the homes of the longhope crew long before the disaster tony
You could be right.I rememember Neil, in spite of his artificial leg, climbing aboard( would it have been the Duke o Edinburgh) on the slipway prior to going on a shout. I can still hear the maroons going off!
Neil Stewart was a wonderful person.

domino
02-Dec-08, 22:33
I remember travelling north and passing the lorry carrying the Longhope Lifeboat. A very, very poignant scene.

domino
02-Dec-08, 22:40
My father and many of my ancestors were fishermen. (My grandfather was presented with a Royal Humane Society bronze medal for saving one of his crewmates at sea.) I was annoyed to read in the newspaper that there was a problem regarding who pays for the communication systems used on our lifeboats. I think it is about time our rather wasteful Government gave this marvellous Institution some sort of help. My favourite charity.

golach
06-Dec-08, 16:51
This great programme is being repeated tonight on BBC 2 at 6:10, if anyone missed it, well worth a watch.