PDA

View Full Version : Black ice on road - where is the salt/sand gritters!!

tracy ann
30-Nov-08, 12:56
I live in gillock and the road out here is pure black ice about 1 inch thick. I phoned the police early this morning to iform them and they said they would tell the road people. Still no-one to be seen!!

No idea what the main roads are like but the road here is an accident waiting to happen - I could not even stand on it without slipping!

badger
30-Nov-08, 13:07
They don't usually even grit the main Castletown/Wick road on a Sunday morning so no chance for the minor roads. I'm supposed to be somewhere else today but decided not to risk it.

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 13:16
1 inch thick?, never in my life have i seen Black Ice that thick, Black Ice generally refers to a thin glazing of ice with very little air bubbles trapped in it, thus making it transparent.

tracy ann
30-Nov-08, 13:39
LOL well maybe nearer half an inch thick!!!

Hubby said he has never seen the road so bad!

badger
30-Nov-08, 14:07
1 inch thick?, never in my life have i seen Black Ice that thick, Black Ice generally refers to a thin glazing of ice with very little air bubbles trapped in it, thus making it transparent.

Aren't you being a bit pedantic? It's ice, it's thick and it looks black - at least it does round here. It may not be technically "black ice" but the effect is the same, very very slippery.

If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck ..... :D

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 14:12
If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck ..... :D

Shoot it?....

changilass
30-Nov-08, 14:15
Oooohhhhh yummy, crispy roast duck.

Every cloud does have a sliver lining ,or in this case a meal requiring pancakes, sauce, spring onions and cucumber.

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 14:29
Aren't you being a bit pedantic? It's ice, it's thick and it looks black - at least it does round here. It may not be technically "black ice" but the effect is the same, very very slippery.

Not really, Black Ice is not black or thick, it's thin and transparent and gets the name Black Ice as when it forms on a tarmac road you can barely see it, you see the colour of the tarmac, which is generally black, what's being referred to in the original thread is probably visible frozen standing water on the road, and if it looks black then it's probably dirty frozen standing water ;)

dessie
30-Nov-08, 14:36
if you see black ice on the roads.it is nearly impossible until your on it.. then people should slow down and drive more carefully...

braalterr903
30-Nov-08, 14:49
hi its same in halkirk you cant walk on it its a sheet of ice.

tracy ann
30-Nov-08, 14:51
i had a very bad accident at the turnoff for A9 in Jan this year on black ice - had one of my kids in the car and was driving slowly - hit the ice and totally lost control - very very frightening:(

There is no way I am venturing anywhere in the car today

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 15:39
i had a very bad accident at the turnoff for A9 in Jan this year on black ice - had one of my kids in the car and was driving slowly - hit the ice and totally lost control - very very frightening:(

There is no way I am venturing anywhere in the car today

It is indeed, a couple of years ago i hit black ice coming north on a tight bend just outside Helmsdale, wasn't speeding but totally lost control and the car spun round and left the road, thankfully i landed on a very wide verge so there was no damage done, got a hell of a fright though, and it wasn't even my car, it belonged to my boss at the time.

Venture
30-Nov-08, 15:41

For goodness sake Gizmo you really need to get out more and meet people. How bored are you, that you feel the need to criticise someones explanation of black ice. [lol]

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 16:01
For goodness sake Gizmo you really need to get out more and meet people. How bored are you, that you feel the need to criticise someones explanation of black ice. [lol]

Eh..no thanks, it's cold outside and i don't really like people.

Not bored at all, what was mentioned was NOT Black Ice, perhaps the next time it snows would you mind if i called it dense cold rain? ;)

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861686282/black_ice.html <----------------

chaz
30-Nov-08, 16:32
I live in gillock and the road out here is pure black ice about 1 inch thick. I phoned the police early this morning to iform them and they said they would tell the road people. Still no-one to be seen!!

No idea what the main roads are like but the road here is an accident waiting to happen - I could not even stand on it without slipping!

Our track and the road it goes on to are the same,havent thawed much and starting to freeze again!! Walked to the horses this morning and kids have walked now,dont think car would get up the hill if we took it!
Sam went to work at about 5.30 this morning he said the main roads were like glass.
Hope it improves a bit tomorrow in time for school :)

Venture
30-Nov-08, 16:46
Eh..no thanks, it's cold outside and i don't really like people.

Not bored at all, what was mentioned was NOT Black Ice, perhaps the next time it snows would you mind if i called it dense cold rain? ;)

What a strange answer considering you seem to communicate often enough with them on the org.

..........the word dense does spring to mind.:lol:

TRUCKER
30-Nov-08, 17:42
The council does grit the castletown road on sundays.

riggerboy
30-Nov-08, 17:48
Not really, Black Ice is not black or thick, it's thin and transparent and gets the name Black Ice as when it forms on a tarmac road you can barely see it, you see the colour of the tarmac, which is generally black, what's being referred to in the original thread is probably visible frozen standing water on the road, and if it looks black then it's probably dirty frozen standing water ;)

does this mean that we could get red ice on the red tarmac ???

if black ice is not black and its not thick are we really sure that its ice at all, ?????

that would then mean we could not get red ice ?????

o well i just thought ice was ice and gizmo was gizmo but not so it appears ????

Sapphire2803
30-Nov-08, 17:50
does this mean that we could get red ice on the red tarmac ???

if black ice is not black and its not thick are we really sure that its ice at all, ?????

that would then mean we could not get red ice ?????

o well i just thought ice was ice and gizmo was gizmo but not so it appears ????

Now my head hurts....

:lol:

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 18:12
What a strange answer considering you seem to communicate often enough with them on the org.

..........the word dense does spring to mind.:lol:

Oh i don't like most of you lot either :D

riggerboy
30-Nov-08, 18:29

yes you do you just dont like to admitting it,

binbob
30-Nov-08, 19:11

good for u,gizmo..oh it is still like sheet glass in halkirk........oh hum...merry christmas.

Tighsonas4
30-Nov-08, 19:38
if your flat on your back it matters little if its black or white
the street seems ok but the pavements since morning are atrocious and they were certainly not treated
it seemed that best bet was to walk on the road and thats not advised either.only option stay indoors tony

Venture
30-Nov-08, 19:51
if your flat on your back it matters little if its black or white
the street seems ok but the pavements since morning are atrocious and they were certainly not treated
it seemed that best bet was to walk on the road and thats not advised either.only option stay indoors tony

Well said Tony. Folk like yourself are safer at home in this kind of weather. Stay warm.;)

dessie
30-Nov-08, 20:53
omg i think i just seen black ice.......oooooops sorry its dark outside...

northener
30-Nov-08, 21:14
omg i think i just seen black ice.......oooooops sorry its dark outside...

Oh, here we go again.

I don't agree with this blatant promotion of 'black' ice. The vast majority of ice in Scotland is white, yet no-one bangs on about 'white' ice.

It's yet another example of a noisy self-publicising minority group trying to dictate what the rest of us should think - or slip on. No doubt the PC do-gooders in Holyrood are even at this minute coming up with legislation to say that during winter, black and other minority ices should be allocated a certain quota of roads to manifest themselves on.

Well I for one won't stand for it, if black ice wants to be take seriously in this country, it'd better stop whingeing and start getting more involved in causing accidents. We are a predominantly white ice country - if the black ice doesn't like it - it can jolly well off back to wherever it came from*.[disgust]

*I would just like to point out that some of my best crashes have been on black ice - so I can't be 'Icist'.

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 21:28
Oh, here we go again.

I don't agree with this blatant promotion of 'black' ice. The vast majority of ice in Scotland is white, yet no-one bangs on about 'white' ice.

It's yet another example of a noisy self-publicising minority group trying to dictate what the rest of us should think - or slip on. No doubt the PC do-gooders in Holyrood are even at this minute coming up with legislation to say that during winter, black and other minority ices should be allocated a certain quota of roads to manifest themselves on.

Well I for one won't stand for it, if black ice wants to be take seriously in this country, it'd better stop whingeing and start getting more involved in causing accidents. We are a predominantly white ice country - if the black ice doesn't like it - it can jolly well off back to wherever it came from*.[disgust]

*I would just like to point out that some of my best crashes have been on black ice - so I can't be 'Icist'.

:lol: brilliant

silverfox57
30-Nov-08, 21:40
thought we where all friends on here,never a cross word from anyone.
never mind them gizmo,they are a happy bunch that only sees the good in people, well might be wrong:eek:

sweetpea
30-Nov-08, 21:45

Hey tracey ann,

I came off the road 2 Christmas's ago at the corner beside Watten loch and it was like a bottle! So I know what you mean.:eek:

badger
30-Nov-08, 22:16
The council does grit the castletown road on sundays.

Well all I can say is they never have when I'm driving in on an icy Sunday morning - and that's mid morning, not early.

In case anyone is still interested, I have black and white ice so am totally PC - but both kinds are lethally slippery. Oh, and I forgot the green ice on the grass frozen hard in places. No red ice though.

Fran
01-Dec-08, 04:16
I was on the wick - Castletown- thurso road last night at 7 pm, Saturday, and at dunnet. The roads were thick with snow before Castletown and very icy, but there was a gritter coming towards me as I headed nearer thurso, thank goodness.amazing how it can be thick snow on the ground one minute and none the next, but there was a lot ice and white frost. I was so releived to get back home safely.

bluemafia
01-Dec-08, 20:34
it doesn't matter what colour the ice is,as long as it is there, it is slippery and dangerous unless the highland council decide to spend some money on gritters and salt instead of extortionate expenses for the councillors.:mad:

silverfox57
01-Dec-08, 20:55
it doesn't matter what colour the ice is,as long as it is there, it is slippery and dangerous unless the highland council decide to spend some money on gritters and salt instead of extortionate expenses for the councillors.:mad:
have to agree with you,most of side roads in caithness,have been
very dangerous the past few days,seem to just sand main roads,but
some drivers such as postmen have to drive on side roads,but if inverness says to just do main roads,thats all gritters can do,inverness council
just want to save money,not save lives,

unicorn
01-Dec-08, 21:02
We drove to Edinburgh and back a week ago last Saturday we drove through lots of snow but the roads were ok, the worst roads we saw both ways was in Caithness and I commented to hubby about it. Unbelievable that we have such bad road conditions compared to everywhere else. We met ploughs and gritters all through the night but none in Caithness, just the road sweeper????? as we entered Thurso.:confused

emszxr
01-Dec-08, 21:04
surely if drivers drove to the road conditions then there shouldnt be any accidents. its when you get idiots that think they can still drive at 50+mph on a road that has ice/snow on it accidents happen. all you have to do is slow way down and drive smoothly.

unicorn
01-Dec-08, 21:16
or a deer running out in front of you causing you to brake hard even at 20 causes close shaves and there are a lot around right now.

emszxr
01-Dec-08, 21:21
oh thats easy, try hit it and take it home for dinner;)

emszxr
01-Dec-08, 21:39
sorry if i went off topic but i thought we were talking about road conditions. saddly the roads dept cant do anything for deer on the road. living in these parts we have to expect them saddly. i have hit 1 in the past.

Boss
01-Dec-08, 23:37

Gritters out here every day,
certainly cannot complain about the council's services around Strathy.
Hope yours improves, coming over there this week,

Fly
01-Dec-08, 23:55
Surely you don't expect many gritters on the roads here? Get real. We live in Caithness not Inverness.[disgust]

Venture
02-Dec-08, 00:50
From Friday to Sunday night we could hardly walk on the pavements here they were so slippy. Not a gritter or a grain of sand to be seen. Monday morning 11 am no frost, ground wet and the gritters are here spraying sand. Where is the sense in that?:confused

Fran
02-Dec-08, 04:31

Colour descrimination.......in case we offend anyone with "black" ice or "white" ice, maybe we should call it "coloured "ice!!!!!

Tighsonas4
02-Dec-08, 11:49
we have no white stuff here yet this morning but it seems there is snow in golspie today tony

sweetpea
02-Dec-08, 12:18
My boss just cam eup and he said he was crawling along at 40mph and Berriedale was very icy.

emszxr
02-Dec-08, 14:23
we have no white stuff here yet this morning but it seems there is snow in golspie today tony

where abouts you if you dont mind me asking. i am outside brora and we had snow this morn but in brora there was nothing apart from rain.

Venture
02-Dec-08, 14:39
I heard on MFR this morning that 8 ins. of snow fell in Achnasheen overnight. It seems Aberdeenshire has a lot of snow too with many schools being shut for the day. Wick apparently is the warmest in the Highlands at 5 degrees.

cemmts
02-Dec-08, 14:45
The state of the straight at Mid Clyth was a disgrace yesterday how there wasn't a accident with the added sleet hard frost.

sphinx
02-Dec-08, 18:42
i your right the police should make them clean the road there its a disgrace nearly went off road there the other nite

changilass
02-Dec-08, 18:48
Just got back in having been down as far as Dornoch, nothing to worry about as long as you don't drive like a nutter and loads of gritters out.

Tighsonas4
02-Dec-08, 18:56
where abouts you if you dont mind me asking. i am outside brora and we had snow this morn but in brora there was nothing apart from rain.
hi am in wick but was on the phone to golspie and there was snow up tower hill and the backies in the morning regards tony

Riffman
02-Dec-08, 20:34
The problem is not the lack of grit, it's the grit in the first place.

Picture it:

Snow falls. Roads get gritted and everyone happy.
Snow melts leaving slush and grit.
Temperature drops and slush and water freezes
Black ice forms and people crash.

Council gets blame, yet it's nature that is to blame.

You see when salt and water mix it prevents it freezing, but only down to a certain temperature. For a 10% salt mix, it will only work down to -6C after which it will freeze over again, thus making it useless. [disgust]

So having a night where the temperature drops below -6C means that the salt is quite ineffective unless you chuck down an impossible amount and cover the entire road to half an inch thick.

----------

Drove down and up to Inverness today, plenty of gritters out, and road fine as long as you are not in a massive hurry.