PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Florida??

bagpuss2
27-Jan-06, 14:05
Hi got 3 kids who will be 2,6and 7.Looking into going to Orlando in October and wondering if anyones been and got reccommendations?The idea of a villa appeals also -has anyone got any experience of this??thanks

dragonfly
27-Jan-06, 15:17
Hi Bagpuss, we've been 3 times when oldest was 4, 7 & 12. 7 I think was the ideal age as she still believed that the characters were real and unlike at 4 had more confidence to run around after them asking for autographs and photos, by 12 she was too old (and cool) to be bothered!

We have always stayed in the Lake Buena Vista area, its quieter than International Drive and most of the hotels do shuttle buses to the parks so no need to hire a car, unless that is something you want to do. It has a good selection of diners, a few shops and an outlet complex but that is across busy motorway so even though we were literally a stones throw away, we had to take a taxi to get there safely! Lake Buena Vista is where Disney Marketplace is situated and is a good place to go with the kids on a day when you don't want to do much (its an easy walk away) - if it was a good day we took change of clothes and a towel and let the kids splash around in the fountains

Its a really busy holiday though! you have to have a break from it every 2nd or 3rd day or the kids will be too tired to enjoy it so make sure you get a hotel with a pool (though there aren't many without).

Your kids are of the age where they will love Disney best, last time we went, we only bought a day ticket cos they weren't that bothered but they loved Islands of Adventure because of the rides were geared more to older kids and adults.

If you do go, it will be fantastic wherever you stay - it really is a "must do" holiday for kids and the outlet factorys are great for Mum and Dads - make sure you take an nearly empty expandable case or a large empty holdall cos you're bound to buy stuff when you are there!

Tickets for the parks are expensive - the Orlando Flexiticket was good for us (Universal, Islands of adventure, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, WetnWild) but we weren't interested in Disney.

Most diners do a kids eat free promo - we lived in Sizzlers for breakfast and dinner! and you can pick up booklets with special offer coupons in.

this is a good site for local info too - http://www.orlandoinfo.com/

If you do go, enjoy and worry about the cost of it all when you come back!

caithnessgirl
27-Jan-06, 15:56
We stayed at Westgate Vacation Villas, i think it was at or near Kissemeee? (sp)
They were self catering, had a lovely pool etc, competitions for kids and stuff.
It was really fab, may be worth seeing if they are still on the go?
That was a few years back now but it was great.
Typhoon Lagoon is a big water park, worth going to if its still open
And i agree with Dragonfly, go for it, enjoy it, it really is a once in a lifetime experience!! :~( (jealous!!lol)

amanda
27-Jan-06, 17:31
Villa is definatley the best way but you will need a car too then I would recommend you buy your park tickets here before you go much cheaper that way.
we were there in october brilliant

katarina
27-Jan-06, 18:11
I been there - great . you'll enjoy it!