PDA

View Full Version : Wick Christmas Lights Switch On

flyonthewall
29-Nov-08, 23:19
Well did anyone else miss the big switch on of the Christmas Lights? The lights were advertised to be switched on at 6.00pm and when we arrived at 5.50pm the lights were on! Children arrived to see Santa leave the stage at 5.55pm. Children are going to leave Santa a watch on Christmas Eve so that he knows the correct time!!!

purplelady
30-Nov-08, 00:43
apprently the did it early because it was so cold and the mrk sq was packed

Whitewater
30-Nov-08, 01:22
Time advertised as as 6pm, there is no excuse for being early. I managed to be there but only just. Many people must have missed it.

mm1ii2aa3
30-Nov-08, 04:05
it was too gud to be missed for my families.:) we went there at 5:30 to wait for it. it was cold out there but really worthy.:Razz

brandy
30-Nov-08, 04:49
we were down earlier, but did not stay. i had promised the kids all week they would get to see santa and tell him their christmas wish.
was so disapointed to see the sign that the grotto was closed!
thankfully, santa was in blythwood and they were overjoyed!
ahh well, alls well that ends well!

Mrs Sweetie
30-Nov-08, 15:11
I had heard that people missed the switch on and were disappointed. :(

I was not there at that time but did go down the street later on and I think the lights look really attractive. Well done and thank you to all involved. :)

scottygirl
30-Nov-08, 19:21
Yeah, the unsung heros who go out long before most of us are out of our beds to put the lights all over the county up and make sure they stay working through the festive seanson.

Well done to the Street lighting department in Thurso. Andy, Willie, Callum, Robbie, etc.

Give them a wave when you see them!! Big yellow van men! :-)

2little2late
30-Nov-08, 22:15
apprently the did it early because it was so cold and the mrk sq was packed

What a shame. It is winter.

purplelady
01-Dec-08, 00:33
Have to say the lights look great this year nice to see we have new ones don't you think and the tree is lovely too

NLP
01-Dec-08, 12:37
Anyone else think it was on to late, 4pm light up was better for the little one's.

bonami
01-Dec-08, 21:59
Bit of a mystery the lights that dissapeared last couple of years. Dempster St Grant St Macarthur St Harbour Terrece Harbour Quay Martha Terrace also Scalesburn and maybe more beside. I was one that bought a light for my first grandaughter it was up six years which worked out about £25 per Xmas. When we bought it we got certificate thanking us and saying it would bring pleasure to the people of Wick for many years. All rather strange also the bairn is at the age now that she expects it up along with the rest comes as a big dissapointment for a seven year old.[disgust]

rfr10
02-Dec-08, 17:15
Well did anyone else miss the big switch on of the Christmas Lights? The lights were advertised to be switched on at 6.00pm and when we arrived at 5.50pm the lights were on! Children arrived to see Santa leave the stage at 5.55pm. Children are going to leave Santa a watch on Christmas Eve so that he knows the correct time!!!

Like I always say- don't leave things to the last minute. Always be there in pleanty of time just incase. :D At least you can see the lights. It's not that important surley to see the lights actually being turned on.

- Lights look great this year!

pat
02-Dec-08, 20:20
rfr 10

If it is not that important to see the lights being switched on - why bother having a switching on ceremony.

The lights may look lovely on now but to see the wonder on a childs face when the lights are first switched on is a magical time.
I personally cannot understand why if they set a time why bother changing it and for the 10 minutes or so it was earlier than planned.

The lights where I live will hopefullly be switched on Saturday night - the wonderment on the childrens faces is something worthwhile watching.

scottygirl
03-Dec-08, 13:57
Bit of a mystery the lights that dissapeared last couple of years. Dempster St Grant St Macarthur St Harbour Terrece Harbour Quay Martha Terrace also Scalesburn and maybe more beside. I was one that bought a light for my first grandaughter it was up six years which worked out about £25 per Xmas. When we bought it we got certificate thanking us and saying it would bring pleasure to the people of Wick for many years. All rather strange also the bairn is at the age now that she expects it up along with the rest comes as a big dissapointment for a seven year old.[disgust]

Why don't you contact the lighting department to ask?
They should know. There are a few communities who look after their own lights and the lighting guys just put them up for them when requested. Could just be that no one approached them to ask?
And it would be very nice if you paid for it for it to be there for the bairn as you say.

AfternoonDelight
03-Dec-08, 17:16
The Christmas Lights committee kept the bought lights up for the 10 years they were contrcted to do so. When they were taken down there was a notice in the paper asking if people wanted to collect their lights and maintain them. Argyle Square Area Association have done so but I think very few members of the public did...

PS - Funday in Argyle Sq this Saturday... :Razz

roadrunner
04-Dec-08, 00:49
I think what everyone is forgetting is that the people on the Christmas lights committee give up a lot of their spare time year after year to raise the amount of money required to buy these lights. The lights that we see today, I think cost around £12,000. There is also yearly storage costs of these lights and public liability insurance for the public event of switching on the lights to consider.
After all of this is seen to the committee then give up more of their spare time to turn up to the market square long before we do, in the bitter cold weather to be moaned at that the santas grotto was not on that particular day, and that the time of the switching of the lights had changed.
It doesn't seem fair to me. I think that if anyone is not happy they should give their own time up and do a better job themselves.
I too have small kids who were disappointed that santa wasn't there, but all you have to say to them is that they will see him another day, it's not the end of the world.

Kevin Milkins
04-Dec-08, 02:17
Just came back from walking the dogs around the town and have to say that the lights are a credit to everyone that has had an input.
Well done.