PDA

View Full Version : Does a freezer need a "door"?

brokencross
29-Nov-08, 12:40
We have a stand up freezer.

It has a top shelf which appears to be the actual "freezing" bit which has a loose fitting plastic hinged front and then there are 4 pull out drawers below this shelf.

The hinge bit of the plastic fold down bit of the top shelf is broken and repairs are proving difficult.

Is that plastic "door" really, really important to the overall working of the freezer or is it there purely to look pretty and keep the stuff on the top shelf from falling out.

I think it is the latter as the door is loose fitting so not keeping cold in that area or anything like that

Any thoughts please!

trinkie
29-Nov-08, 12:44
It most certainly needs that door - it will cost you a lot of money if you get rid of it!

Kodiak
29-Nov-08, 12:51
We have a stand up freezer.

It has a top shelf which appears to be the actual "freezing" bit which has a loose fitting plastic hinged front and then there are 4 pull out drawers below this shelf.

The hinge bit of the plastic fold down bit of the top shelf is broken and repairs are proving difficult.

Is that plastic "door" really, really important to the overall working of the freezer or is it there purely to look pretty and keep the stuff on the top shelf from falling out.

I think it is the latter as the door is loose fitting so not keeping cold in that area or anything like that

Any thoughts please!

I presume that this is an Inner Door to your Freezer and it is on the top shlef only. Also that your Freezer still has its outer door intact. Not only that but this is a Freezer and not a fridge with a Freezer compartment.

If this is the case then this Plastic inner door is not all that necessary. I had a freezer like this and all the plastic door did was to clog up with Ice and get stuck so you could not get at the food inside. We removed it and as far as we could see there was difference except that we gained a bit of room.

brokencross
29-Nov-08, 13:05
It most certainly needs that door - it will cost you a lot of money if you get rid of it!
Why so?? please. (it is purely a freezer, I can see the problem if it was a fridge freezer)

I presume that this is an Inner Door to your Freezer and it is on the top shlef only. Also that your Freezer still has its outer door intact. Not only that but this is a Freezer and not a fridge with a Freezer compartment.

All those assumptions are correct.
The outer main sealing door is perfectly fine. The "door" in question is very loose fitting and allows total flow of air within the freezer so can't see any real function except maybe to reduce the flow of cold air spilling out when main door open.

Kodiak
29-Nov-08, 13:31
All those assumptions are correct.
The outer main sealing door is perfectly fine. The "door" in question is very loose fitting and allows total flow of air within the freezer so can't see any real function except maybe to reduce the flow of cold air spilling out when main door open.

Then in that case I would say the door is Purly Cosmetic and removing it would make do difference to the the function of the freezer.

trinkie
29-Nov-08, 14:09
Fair enough, you have been given good advice . I didn't realise it had a 'second' door

Good luck

Julia
29-Nov-08, 14:38
The door to the shelf is for cramming extra food in, it is there just to stop the contents sliding out all over the floor every time you open the door. As long as the actual appliance's door is intact and sealed then it will make no difference, just wear steel toe capped boots when opening the door.

brokencross
29-Nov-08, 14:44
just wear steel toe capped boots when opening the door.

:)Beware of flying frozen chickens:)

Thanks to all for replies.

Beat Bug
03-Dec-08, 02:14
The inner plastic doors on freezers are to keep the cold in when you open the main door. Same reason for the plastic fronts on the drawers, as per my late father-in-law, a refrigeration engineer