PDA

View Full Version : School kids & Christmas cards!

Julia
29-Nov-08, 00:52
I had an eye-opening note home from my daughter's school today asking kindly that we restrict the giving of Christmas cards among classmates and to write one for the whole class which will then be displayed by the class teacher.

Quote - 'If every child, in every class sends 30 cards, that is 7200 in our school alone!'

I think this is a great idea, I've never really thought about the actual amount of cards that must be passed between school children each year. Wick has four primary schools, if you average each child sending 25 cards (including nursery) it works out at 20 THOUSAND cards (equal to nearly £1000 if 20 cards cost 99p)!

Food for thought.

wifie
29-Nov-08, 01:18
It is thought provoking. Our school nominates a class to run a "postal" service and each person who gives them their cards to post (just in school - even the teachers join in) pays a nominal sum and the money raised is given to a nominated charity. I am sure the saving in cards and cost would be enormous but at least they are giving a wee charitable donation and the children get a new experience running their wee company!

sweetpea
29-Nov-08, 09:43
I think that's a very sensible thing to do. Workplaces can do this as well for charity. You get a big poster that everyone signs and gives a pound or two.

Missy Wick
29-Nov-08, 11:58
Is it just me who thinks this is a bit much. Isnt the xmas season all about giving and receiving. My little boy is 4 and is so excited about getting cards etc. I understand the thought behind it for environmental purposes, but seeing as all the cards dont stay at school shouldnt it be up to the parents to be responsible for recycling etc. Kids are delighted receiving cards, but to write one to the whole class for it to be pinned on a wall is like saying look kids here is a sweetie, but your only allowed to look at it.

changilass
29-Nov-08, 12:12
I love the idea of sending a note home with all children to say dont send cards, have the school not just used loads of paper in sending the note in the first place.

Leave the kids alone to have their fun.

I think that all that will happen is that an extra card is done by all the kids to display in the class and that mothers and kids will pass round cards in the school playground.

floyed
29-Nov-08, 13:38
I think its a stupid idea! I have a 6 year old and he gets so excited when he comes home with Christmas cards in his bag from his friends, and even more when he gets to give them out.

Just like someone else has said they have no concerns about wasting all the paper on letters home:confused

telfordstar
29-Nov-08, 14:41
My son had the same note home as julia got and i think its a great idea but maybe for the younger ones maybe nursery to p3 should still give until the understand a bit more about why they are doing it that was. My daughter is in nurser but she didnt get the note home.

TBH
29-Nov-08, 16:10
Is it because some kids will recieve more cards than others, i.e, they don't want other kids to feel left out.

Julia
29-Nov-08, 16:20
Is it because some kids will recieve more cards than others, i.e, they don't want other kids to feel left out.

That's also a good point TBH, I bet there must be the odd kids that gets hardly any cards, doesn't do much for their self esteem.

unicorn
29-Nov-08, 16:36
I think most schools used to give out a list of the names of all children in the class to help parents when writing cards. Do they still do this?

TBH
29-Nov-08, 16:54
That's also a good point TBH, I bet there must be the odd kids that gets hardly any cards, doesn't do much for their self esteem.It is sound logic in my opinion, as you say, it doesn't do much for a child's self esteem to feel left out.
Certain kids will always be left out, that's just human nature kicking in so I would say a card to the whole class is an excellent idea.

catran
29-Nov-08, 23:42
It is sound logic in my opinion, as you say, it doesn't do much for a child's self esteem to feel left out.
Certain kids will always be left out, that's just human nature kicking in so I would say a card to the whole class is an excellent idea.

Brilliant idea as you say no one is left out and it it would be a good idea in the workplace as well Save all the hazzle of everyone writing boxes of cards out to peo:roll:ple they see every day all year around. so stupid. Would it not be better to make a donation to a charity?

wifie
04-Dec-08, 16:42
Just a little ps to this thread - my daughter's class have finished their Christmas post and raised £153 for Rachel House (http://www.chas.org.uk/rachel-house). I do understand the views of contributors tho about the child who might be left out - sadly that is life. I know the children has huge fun doing the post by all having their different jobs in their enterprise.
I do not agree with giving all my workmates a card tho and will be just giving one for the staffroom! I am sad tho that "Secret Santa" has been adopted again tho - I much prefer everyone putting in a fiver and the money going to charity!

skinnydog
04-Dec-08, 17:30
Just saw this thread and funnily enough mine came home from nursery at the beginning of the week with a list of names so that you could send cards to all. Next day, she came home with first card!!

Due to the fact that 3 year old can't read or write and the fact that I have little enough spare time to be writing my own cards I thought what can I do?

So me and the 3 year old made 1 large card and it was duly covered in enough glitter for the whole class! Inside I wrote a simple message saying "in a bid to eliminate waste and help the environment we will not be sending individual cards and wish all class mates and teachers a very Happy Christmas". That way I didn't feel too Bah Humbug!! I just hope it is stuck somewhere prominent for everyone to see.

Tilter
04-Dec-08, 19:24
Skinnydog,
Although I'm a bah-hum and haven't sent cards for years, I do see the point other posters have made about kids and cards, so I think what you have done is an excellent compromise.

mccaugm
04-Dec-08, 21:28
I think most schools used to give out a list of the names of all children in the class to help parents when writing cards. Do they still do this?

My sons nursery said they are no longer allowed to give out the names of children in the class..I wrote the cards out and the teachers have said that they can label them for me. His cards are now sorted and I still have to write out family & friends ones...arrgghhh

wifie
04-Dec-08, 22:21
That is a fab idea skinnydog! Can imagine the glitter! Marvellous stuff isn't it? [lol]

WeeBurd
04-Dec-08, 22:36
PC Police, Greenies gone mad... the world is quickly becoming a joyless place for our kids...:roll:

The sheer joy on my playschooler's face this week as she's coming home with cards from her wee chums (some have tried to write their own cards, some had help from parents), and the utter delight she expressed as she wrote her own name on her cards this week ("Look Mummy, I can do it myself!") - if the simple act of sending and receiving cards brings the wee ones this much happiness, then I'm delighted to encourage the practice.

ellimac
04-Dec-08, 22:44
Hi

I loved giving and receiving of Christmas cards when I was little... We all used to see who could get the most cards in the class....

Teachers leave them alone to enjoy there childhood and let them send as many cards as they like, who's it hurting......

:D