PDA

View Full Version : winter's here.

Tugmistress
28-Nov-08, 22:42
well i think we all know winter is here now, but the point i wanted to make is that i notice a lot of forecasts are giving temps for the next few days at above freezing, don't let this fool you, yes it'll be above freezing in the daytime, but at night wet surfaces will become icy and dangerous, probablity of snow monday through to tuesday on top of this ice and walking and driving will become a nightmare.
make sure you have plenty of antifreeze in your car engines, plenty of 'stuff' in your washer bottle so your washers don't freeze up, some general household salt in your cupboard for putting down on your doorstep.flagstones etc.
i know i am probably going to get slated again for stating the obvious, but be careful, this cold spell is certainly around until wednesday.[disgust]

unicorn
28-Nov-08, 22:55
put your odd socks over small animal water bottles to stop them freezing up, pack hutches with hay and cover hutch fronts at nights......... Thats my tuppenceworth

Whitewater
28-Nov-08, 22:59
Tugmistress, thanks for the good advice, and I would never slate anyone for trying to help and advise. It was nice to know about Monday and Tuesday.

kas
28-Nov-08, 23:02
Anybody slating you is mad, its freezing out there, -3.7 C on your weather station at the mo. I am just shocked the met office has no warnings out, freezing fog forecast for the east coast this evening. Keep the info coming with regards to any other upcoming cold spells.

I was just saying to someone yesterday I am needing a lesson from you as to reading the weather charts, that netweather forum is addictive, its just a shame I have no idea what on earth they are going on about most of the time.

Tugmistress
28-Nov-08, 23:06
Not a problem Kas, come up anytime or i can come to you :) just get the bins on my house, if the car's there i'm in :)
The offer also stands for anyone wanting to learn, i don't know a great deal but i am willing to share what i do know :)

mm1ii2aa3
28-Nov-08, 23:13
for this cold weather,we are better staying bed, not going anywhere:~(

changilass
28-Nov-08, 23:26
Not looking forward to the snow, gotta drive down to inverness on tuesday :~(

Kevin Milkins
29-Nov-08, 03:15
I just got in from walking the dogs and its definatly cold.:eek:
Thanks for the heads up Tugs.

chaz
29-Nov-08, 18:06
Tugmistress, thanks for the good advice, and I would never slate anyone for trying to help and advise. It was nice to know about Monday and Tuesday.

Agree thanks Tugmistress,we look out for your posts :)

cuddlepop
29-Nov-08, 18:17
Its sooooo cold outside the garden hasnt defrosted all day.:eek:

Its almost like a layer of white frozen ice all over the grass.If it snows tonight It'll lie as there's a good base for it.

Boss
29-Nov-08, 18:52
Agree thanks Tugmistress,we look out for your posts :)
Ditto! thanks for the info, personally, I am lovin it.
:)

Ricco
29-Nov-08, 19:10
Tuggs, send us a bit. Just rain, rain and rain down here.:(

Anji
29-Nov-08, 19:29
Tugs, you are the only weather forecaster worth paying any attention to.

Fisherbigin
29-Nov-08, 21:49
It's winter and we're in Caithness,better than wind and rain anyday:)

sweetpea
29-Nov-08, 22:06
About an hour ago I felt a big lightening crack and the whole room lit up:eek:

Tighsonas4
29-Nov-08, 22:38
for this cold weather,we are better staying bed, not going anywhere:~(
yes im inclined to second that one [lol] tony

Tilter
29-Nov-08, 22:44
So, Tugmistress, you don't think I should drive down to Keith on Tues and come back Weds? I've looked at Met Office forecast and it doesn't look that bad.

Thanks for the advice.

percy toboggan
30-Nov-08, 00:16
You do a fine job tuggs.
Power to your meteorological elbow.

(not easy to spell after three bottles of Old Bab!)

Tugmistress
30-Nov-08, 10:17
So, Tugmistress, you don't think I should drive down to Keith on Tues and come back Weds? I've looked at Met Office forecast and it doesn't look that bad.

Thanks for the advice.

Drive during the day, it'll be fine :) i don't know where keith is off hand but i'll look it up and have a look at the charts this evening for you and let you know what i think ;)

Mr P Cannop
30-Nov-08, 10:57
hiya tugs

can i come and see your weather station and see how it runs eg set up and so on ??

gleeber
30-Nov-08, 11:00
It's a lovely spring morning here in Thurso. Sun's shining and no frost. I almost feel like going to work.

Venture
30-Nov-08, 11:15
Can't say the same for here had a couple of dogs doing Bambi skating impressions this morning.:lol: It's really hard frost here. Looking at the forecast this morning seems the snow is on its way for Monday/Tuesday.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=3;type=free;ct=5021 ~Caithness;sess=#forecast

golach
30-Nov-08, 11:18
In Auld Reekie, this morning it is hard frost, cold and bright.

gleeber
30-Nov-08, 11:51
Ther e was no frost in my back garden. It's like a skaiting rink everywhere else. I'm glad. I nearly went to work.

Tugmistress
30-Nov-08, 13:45
Paul,
when you get yours it will have full instructions that are very clear and easy to follow, i'll post a couple of photo's of how mine is set up.

Mr P Cannop
30-Nov-08, 14:02
would like to see your set up and how it runs and so on as this is my first weather i have ever had so not sure how to set it all up can i take it to you ?? are you able to set it up for me ??

Tugmistress
30-Nov-08, 14:19
Paul,
what components does your contain? does it have thermo/hygrometer? does it have anenometer? does it have barometer? how many sensors and what are they called? i'll do my best to explain it to you if you reply here.

Katy
30-Nov-08, 15:28
Hi Tugmistress,
What's the forecast for tomorrow? We are meant to be heading to Inverness but not wanting to take any risks if it is going to be as slippery as it is out there today!
Thanks in advance!
Kxxx

Tugmistress
30-Nov-08, 15:36
Hi Katy,
the charts i like to use are out in about an hour or so, so i'll have a look then for you.
Common sense has to be used in winter, it'll be a monday morning, the gritters haven't been out today certainly, maybe even not yesterday and they wont be on the go until about 7am? at a guess on the main roads first so any ice will be around early. The sun gets 'up to temperature' around 10am in winter, so any travelling is best left until after this point where the gritters and mother nature are working together lol.

Will post again in a while for you :)

Katy
30-Nov-08, 15:45
Thanks Tug,
We've got too kiddies so we won't be off too sharp anyway! lol! Just need to be in Inverness for an appointment at 3.30pm so no rush, just not wanting to come home in snow showers either with the kids in the car!
Will look forward to receiving your post in a while.
Thank u very much
Kx

Tugmistress
30-Nov-08, 17:03
Hi Katy & Changi :)
ok looking at those charts it's certainly going to be cold enough to snow, and it *may* freeze over tonight, more so on high ground and inland from the sea. from what i can see if it does snow tomorrow i don't think it'll be any large amount and there's not going to be a deal of wind either :) it'll make a drive 'interesting' rather than hazardous. Same goes for tuesday Changi, not great amounts of snow or wind, though it could just prove me wrong and either totally warm up against the charts or give us a decent dumping lol

Chances are with this cloud cover temps will go down but not too severe like the other day, maybe down to 0c so yes be careful in the mornings and during the night. I'm currently reading a steady 3.6c and it ain't moving one way or the other, i'll expect it to drop to about 1c tonight, possibly as low as 0c. tomorrow night dependant on cloud cover but a wee bit cooler, maybe as low as -2c but more likely 0 to -1c.

Katy, there'll be more chance of you finding snowfall on your way back from inverness tomorrow evening, take it steady, just drive to your abilities and how you feel comfortable, don't let bumper huggers harrass you and you'll be fine :)

changilass
30-Nov-08, 17:07
Cheers Tuggs, if things change please let me know and I will canx meeting, don't mind too much travelling myself but when I have the wee bundle of precious cargo its a different matter.

Tugmistress
30-Nov-08, 17:09
Cheers Tuggs, if things change please let me know and I will canx meeting, don't mind too much travelling myself but when I have the wee bundle of precious cargo its a different matter.

I think you should be ok changi, it's only a couple of days away and the charts are pretty steady on it now, as always, common sense, high ground = cooler temps more chance of ice etc, coastal if the wind coming off the sea the salt air helps disperse ice/snow, you know the stuff :D

Katy
30-Nov-08, 19:38
Thank you so much, we will defo be taking our time, no taking any risks!
Fingers crossed the roads wil b well gritted and we can have a nice journey both ways!
Kxx