PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Halkirk Sports Complex

david
28-Nov-08, 21:50
I see from todays letter section in the Groat that it appears that the facility above is to have a sauna- The amount of juice these things use is huge-minimum 3kwh for a domestic installation, add to that warm up time. Along with the floodlighting of the Church and the Ross Institue, yet another example of monies provided from a green energy source being used in a non green way. The people who pass these schemes surely have an obligation to consider how the HDBF is used in relation to how the money is provided in the first place- seems not.

TBH
28-Nov-08, 21:52
I see from todays letter section in the Groat that it appears that the facility above is to have a sauna- The amount of juice these things use is huge-minimum 3kwh for a domestic installation, add to that warm up time. Along with the floodlighting of the Church and the Ross Institue, yet another example of monies provided from a green energy source being used in a non green way. The people who pass these schemes surely have an obligation to consider how the HDBF is used in relation to how the money is provided in the first place- seems not.They could roast a Bishop with that amount of juice.

david
28-Nov-08, 21:56
They could roast a Bishop with that amount of juice.

Or roast a commitee.

theone
29-Nov-08, 00:46
I see from todays letter section in the Groat that it appears that the facility above is to have a sauna- The amount of juice these things use is huge-minimum 3kwh for a domestic installation, add to that warm up time. Along with the floodlighting of the Church and the Ross Institue, yet another example of monies provided from a green energy source being used in a non green way. The people who pass these schemes surely have an obligation to consider how the HDBF is used in relation to how the money is provided in the first place- seems not.

You truly have a chip on your shoulder about this windfarm money. I'm not sure why and to be honest I doubt if I care.

The Halkirk fund is there to benefit the people of Halkirk and surrounding area. Just because the money comes from a "green" source doesn't mean it has to be spent in an environmentally friendly way.

A sports centre without a sauna or steam room would be sadly lacking.

You don't like the people on the commitee who decide where the money is spent. We get it. It's getting tiresome.

If you don't think the sports centre will be great for the people of Halkirk and the people of Caithness then it's a good thing you don't have a say in where the money is spent.

hotrod4
29-Nov-08, 00:52
You truly have a chip on your shoulder about this windfarm money. I'm not sure why and to be honest I doubt if I care.

The Halkirk fund is there to benefit the people of Halkirk and surrounding area. Just because the money comes from a "green" source doesn't mean it has to be spent in an environmentally friendly way.

You don't like the people on the commitee who decide where the money is spent. We get it. It's getting tiresome.

If you don't think the sports centre will be great for the people of Halkirk and the people of Caithness then it's a good thing you don't have a say in where the money is spent.

I agree David only seems to post when things actually look good for Halkirk, bah Humbug springs to mind![lol]

elamanya
29-Nov-08, 09:42
why dont they just connect the lights and the new sports complex to one of the windmills then it can run on green energy and they could get the power for nothing, then every one will be happy, wont they?????

david
29-Nov-08, 10:14

Okay, let's just bury our heads in the sand and enjoy life for the time being at least... As for disliking the people on the committee, I for one do not know who makes up this committee. If my observations are getting that tiresome, remember you don't have to reply. How about a coal fired power station funded by the windmill money for the county of Caithness. Does that make sense?

On a serious note, there is of course an environmental balance that needs to be reached with regards to how this money is spent, something which in my opinion has been sadly overlooked by the present committee.

david
29-Nov-08, 10:15
I agree David only seems to post when things actually look good for Halkirk, bah Humbug springs to mind![lol]
#

Examples please.

binbob
29-Nov-08, 11:38
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR,DAVID.:lol:

david
29-Nov-08, 12:18
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR,DAVID.:lol:

CHEERS. The same to you-slightly off thread though!

Tilter
29-Nov-08, 17:05
I asked in the other thread of David's what exactly is going to be in the new sports centre. So far no one's said anything. I now know there'll be a sauna, but what else? Will the sports centre benefit OAP's?

Bobinovich
29-Nov-08, 17:17
Their website (http://www.halkirkleisure.co.uk/) gives plenty of information, although I understand that archery and curling may also be catered for in the future, to name but a few possibilities.

Tilter
29-Nov-08, 20:58
Their website (http://www.halkirkleisure.co.uk/) gives plenty of information, although I understand that archery and curling may also be catered for in the future, to name but a few possibilities.

Oh doh - thanks for the link Bobino V. Didn't think to see if they had a website. Looks good, but I'm wondering about:
(1) arena with artificial turf - does this mean OAP's like me will be able to go do a bit of jogging out of the elements during the day without fit teenagers streaking past me?
(2) what exactly does a "leisure suite" contain?
(3) what multi-purposes does a "multi-purpose" room have?

Curling would be excellent but it's my understanding that a rink works in a greener fashion when combined with a pool as the heat from one makes the energy to cool the other (as it did at Brora when they had the rink). Why can't they just have a skating rink? There is none in Caithness, and it's something popular with all ages.

Bobinovich
29-Nov-08, 22:30
I see no reason why a skating rink and curling rink can't be combined. I know that Caithness fielded a couple of curling teams when the facility was available in Brora (ah, them were the days! :D) so it could be curling say 3-4 nights a week with Fri - Sun set aside for skating (with occasional Sundays for curling competitions!!!). However I understand this would be a later phase in the development regardless.

I also agree that a swimming pool alongside would make a lot of sense - even just a wee one like Brora had - at temperatures reaching 100°F it was more like a nice bath tho!

I can't answer your other 3 queries I'm afraid.

I suppose everything will be down to a cost-to-prospective-usage ratio but it has the potential to be a superb complex for all in Caithness, as well as for visitors to the area.

theone
29-Nov-08, 23:12
Oh doh - thanks for the link Bobino V. Didn't think to see if they had a website. Looks good, but I'm wondering about:
(1) arena with artificial turf - does this mean OAP's like me will be able to go do a bit of jogging out of the elements during the day without fit teenagers streaking past me?
(2) what exactly does a "leisure suite" contain?
(3) what multi-purposes does a "multi-purpose" room have?

Curling would be excellent but it's my understanding that a rink works in a greener fashion when combined with a pool as the heat from one makes the energy to cool the other (as it did at Brora when they had the rink). Why can't they just have a skating rink? There is none in Caithness, and it's something popular with all ages.

1) I'd hope so. I just hope it's open everyday for that type of thing, and not just organised groups.

2) I think it's along the lines of the gym, with more machines, exercise balls etc.

3) Step class, mothers and toddlers, town meetings, band practices? I assume it's just a big room available for hire/use?

Tilter
29-Nov-08, 23:48
I also agree that a swimming pool alongside would make a lot of sense - even just a wee one like Brora had - at temperatures reaching 100°F it was more like a nice bath tho!

Oh yes please. I went to a spa once in Newport in Wales where they had a jacuzzi the size of a small swimming pool and it was just heaven. The jacuzzi bubbles didn’t run until someone went in and turned it on and the water was lovely and warm.

1) I'd hope so. I just hope it's open everyday for that type of thing, and not just organised groups.
Me too.

3) Step class, mothers and toddlers, town meetings, band practices? I assume it's just a big room available for hire/use?
Isn’t the Ross Institute already there for that?

Thanks for the info, The One

How are local residents able to give input as to what they'd like to see in the Leisure Centre? Anyone know?

I know David is a single-issue orger, but I think he makes a good point. There should be room in the HDBF for pensioners or peoples on low income to get help with energy efficiency measures they may not otherwise get a grant for. It’s my understanding that the HDBF rules have been relaxed and individuals may now apply for grants from the fund. My concern is that nowhere has the HDBF or what it can do for individuals or groups been advertised at all, and that those in most need will not get. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this.

david
30-Nov-08, 00:12
Can anyone please tell me what is the point of the green energy provided by the windmills providing funding for non green schemes? Why not just get rid of the windmills and then there would be no spare cash to further damage the environment. Or how about a sensible approach and use the cash for other green initiatives within the community?

Single Issue Orger

david
30-Nov-08, 00:20
Oh yes please. I went to a spa once in Newport in Wales where they had a jacuzzi the size of a small swimming pool and it was just heaven. The jacuzzi bubbles didn’t run until someone went in and turned it on and the water was lovely and warm.

Me too.

Isn’t the Ross Institute already there for that?

Thanks for the info, The One

How are local residents able to give input as to what they'd like to see in the Leisure Centre? Anyone know?

I know David is a single-issue orger, but I think he makes a good point. There should be room in the HDBF for pensioners or peoples on low income to get help with energy efficiency measures they may not otherwise get a grant for. It’s my understanding that the HDBF rules have been relaxed and individuals may now apply for grants from the fund. My concern is that nowhere has the HDBF or what it can do for individuals or groups been advertised at all, and that those in most need will not get. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this.

A dagger and cloak springs to mind here.

david
30-Nov-08, 00:30

It's a real annoyance to me that when the creators of this scheme have spent so much time energy and cash that no one can be bothered to visit their site to see what is planned. Come on Halkirk, surely everyone no matter what age is able to get internet access............???

Torvaig
30-Nov-08, 07:46

Thanks for the link Bobinovich; makes for interesting reading and for any one who has questions, there is a contact link. Discussing it here on the org is fine but don't expect other members to do the research for you.

Their website gives a lot of information and a simple opportunity for those interested to enquire about any other points. I wish them luck and maybe there won't be so many cries of "there's nothing to do!" :)

There is also a chance to win £1000 or free membership for life......:lol:

fingalmacool
30-Nov-08, 17:31
Does it matter if the building is not totally green, who gives a jot save the few enviro-mentalists, sadly it must be said that to save the enviroment we will have to get rid of the enviromentalists, most of them are out to lunch, in my humble opinion. Windmills are about as much good as a button on a sock, so if they want to give money to the Parish, grab it and run. Also well done to Halkirk for having the cahoonas to build such a place, so as the film said,,,If you build it they will come, from all over the County. So put whatever you think will get punters in the door.:confused

hotrod4
30-Nov-08, 17:54
Can anyone please tell me what is the point of the green energy provided by the windmills providing funding for non green schemes? Why not just get rid of the windmills and then there would be no spare cash to further damage the environment. Or how about a sensible approach and use the cash for other green initiatives within the community?

Single Issue Orger
The same could be said by why should green schemes get funding from non-green sources?
Swings and roundabouts! (Are they getting them in Halkirk too? Wind powered of course!!!![lol])
If they were to use it for "green" initiatives when do the public in general get use of the cash.You seem to want to "Invest invest invest" but only back into green schemes, a bit greenist perhaps!

hotrod4
30-Nov-08, 18:03
#

Examples please.

Ok you asked:
"" Proposed Halkirk Sports Complex (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=62574) Topic started by David.
"Halkirk Community Benefit Fund (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=61959)" Topic started by David
"Windmill Money (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=50120)" Topic Started by David
N Power Main Sponser Halkirk Highland Games (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=53434) Topic started by David

If you check through those I am sure you will find many of your own "Negative Halkirk Committee" posts, Enjoy!:lol:

theone
30-Nov-08, 18:10

Single Issue Orger

The money is provided to improve the quality of life of people in an area that the windmills have had a detrimental effect - loss of views, tourism etc.

It's a pretty routine way of big companies winning the support of the locals when the bring industry into a previously unspoilt area. Similar schemes are in place in Orkney and Shetland from the Flotta and Sullom Voe terminals.

Why do you insist the money must be spent in a "green" way? If Scrabster got an oil terminal would you insist all the money got spent on petrol?

Errogie
30-Nov-08, 18:57
The important underlying question here is, why, is the supposedly impartial process of awarding planning permission to a developer being undermined by a cash bribe to the people who are in close proximity to it?

The genie is out of the bottle now, so when the next superstore developer or toxic waste dumper comes along all he has to do is cough up the right amount and his foot is in the door. Mind it's probably a degree better in that it's the community rather than the Councillor or officials who get the discrete brown envelope.

Wisdom is the reward you get for listening when you'd have preferred to talk!

theone
30-Nov-08, 20:58
The important underlying question here is, why, is the supposedly impartial process of awarding planning permission to a developer being undermined by a cash bribe to the people who are in close proximity to it?

The genie is out of the bottle now, so when the next superstore developer or toxic waste dumper comes along all he has to do is cough up the right amount and his foot is in the door. Mind it's probably a degree better in that it's the community rather than the Councillor or officials who get the discrete brown envelope.

Wisdom is the reward you get for listening when you'd have preferred to talk!

It's always been the case.

Many housing developments are only allowed with the promise that the developer builds a swingpark etc.

I think it's seen as part of the planning process, not "cheating" it. When Asda wanted to build in Thurso they included a playpark/rec area in the plans in a bid to "win over" the locals.

david
01-Dec-08, 11:40
Ok you asked:
"" Proposed Halkirk Sports Complex (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=62574) Topic started by David.
"Halkirk Community Benefit Fund (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=61959)" Topic started by David
"Windmill Money (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=50120)" Topic Started by David
N Power Main Sponser Halkirk Highland Games (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=53434) Topic started by David

If you check through those I am sure you will find many of your own "Negative Halkirk Committee" posts, Enjoy!:lol:

Your original post suggested I only posted when things look good for Halkirk-so these "examples" don't concur.

david
01-Dec-08, 11:46
The money is provided to improve the quality of life of people in an area that the windmills have had a detrimental effect - loss of views, tourism etc.

It's a pretty routine way of big companies winning the support of the locals when the bring industry into a previously unspoilt area. Similar schemes are in place in Orkney and Shetland from the Flotta and Sullom Voe terminals.

Why do you insist the money must be spent in a "green" way? If Scrabster got an oil terminal would you insist all the money got spent on petrol?

Because it makes sense.

philupmaboug
01-Dec-08, 11:56
What's wrong with windmills anyway? They look ok, the main street in Wick looks worse.

Tilter
01-Dec-08, 13:13
What's wrong with windmills anyway? They look ok, the main street in Wick looks worse.

It's not necessarily about the way they look Philup. Anti-windies will give you a hundred other reasons (mostly environmental or because of high electricity costs to consumers) why they're not always so great. Or that there's just too many in the pipeline for Caithness. But all this has been done to death on Org already.

Agree about main street in Wick but most town centres suffer likewise when retail parks outside towns spring up. Progress, I guess.

carlominno
01-Dec-08, 13:33
... As for disliking the people on the committee, I for one do not know who makes up this committee.

and from one of your other Halkirk Community Benefit Fund Threads
"I have already emailed a member of this committee on 2 seperate occasions months ago and have yet to have a reply"

So which is it David, do you know people on the committee or not?

david
01-Dec-08, 13:44
and from one of your other Halkirk Community Benefit Fund Threads
"I have already emailed a member of this committee on 2 seperate occasions months ago and have yet to have a reply"

So which is it David, do you know people on the committee or not?

"People" is plural. I know one member on this committee.

hotrod4
01-Dec-08, 15:59
Your original post suggested I only posted when things look good for Halkirk-so these "examples" don't concur.
"Bah Humbug" I believe was the phrase I used. i.e When things look good for Halkirk for you its "Bah Humbug":roll:

david
01-Dec-08, 16:32
"Bah Humbug" I believe was the phrase I used. i.e When things look good for Halkirk for you its "Bah Humbug":roll:

This post is not about what is good or otherwise for Halkirk. It is about how money from renewable energy is being spent on energy guzzling schemes. Or are you suggesting that all this energy is being supplied from the renewable source?

hotrod4
01-Dec-08, 21:35
This post is not about what is good or otherwise for Halkirk. It is about how money from renewable energy is being spent on energy guzzling schemes. Or are you suggesting that all this energy is being supplied from the renewable source?
You seem to have mis-read your own posts!.You mention what "would be good" for Halkirk and then slag off anything that the committee do.It seems in your eyes they cant win:( You only want what you want, as I stated previously if you feel that strongly do something about it, get a poll going and see what the people of the village actually want?
Start a poll and see what happens or do you already know the result?:lol:

david
02-Dec-08, 00:39
You seem to have mis-read your own posts!.You mention what "would be good" for Halkirk and then slag off anything that the committee do.It seems in your eyes they cant win:( You only want what you want, as I stated previously if you feel that strongly do something about it, get a poll going and see what the people of the village actually want?
Start a poll and see what happens or do you already know the result?:lol:

Should the committee not have arranged this pol that you suggest which incidently I agree with. This way a democratic decision would be reached.

Tilter
02-Dec-08, 12:39

There is a valid theory about using less energy (whether renewable or not) which creates a vacuum and makes the whole concept self-defeating. For example, a business gets some renewable energy in place or takes energy efficiency measures and starts spending say 30% less on its energy bill. It now has that savings to spend, therefore it increases its business, therefore it increases its energy consumption to feed that extra business. Therefore, environmentally, it's back where it started.

Green_not_greed
02-Dec-08, 20:10
OK so given that there is probably around 1000 people in Halkirk, why would any facility beneficial for the County be situated there, rather than the larger centres of population (ie Thurso or Wick) - or closer to those who really suffer from the turbines, around Spittal or Westerdale?

Community benefit only divides communities - I think this thread is a good example of what can happen. I'd prefer to see a committment to give all those living within a certain distance of the development free electricity - truly benefiting all in the community regardless of their position, and ridding the poorer of fuel poverty.

If community benefit is the way forward, then what on earth is going to come from the other schemes in the area - for example, Spittal Hill (30 turbines), Halsary (27 turbines) and Westerdale (60 turbines)? That should be good for Halkirks own Olympic Stadium....

GNG

stewart4364
02-Dec-08, 21:02
The reason the centre is hoping to be built in Halkirk was by the kind generosity of a former resident. Andrew Sinclair is the son of a previous Halkirk policeman, George Sinclair, who served around the 50's. Without the donation from Andrew, which is somewhere in the region of 1 1/4 million, (and I believe that his donation is on the condition it is built in Halkirk) there probably would not be a sports centre anywhere in the county. There has been talk about providing a sports centre for yonks but absolutely nothing has come of it. That is the reason why the centre is hoping to be built in Halkirk. If some other very generous benefactor comes along maybe Thurso and/or Wick could have their own facility. Without Andrew's very generous donation the county would still be void of a sports centre. We should all thank Andrew and get behind the committee help raise the extra funding required and get the project of the ground as soon as possible so that everyone no matter their age in the surrounding areas can make use of what looks like a very prestigous project.

theone
02-Dec-08, 22:28
We should all thank Andrew and get behind the committee help raise the extra funding required and get the project of the ground as soon as possible so that everyone no matter their age in the surrounding areas can make use of what looks like a very prestigous project.

Hear Hear.

Unfortunately, in Caithness, there will always be people who will try to make bad of a good thing.

Green_not_greed
02-Dec-08, 22:53
The reason the centre is hoping to be built in Halkirk was by the kind generosity of a former resident. Andrew Sinclair is the son of a previous Halkirk policeman, George Sinclair, who served around the 50's. Without the donation from Andrew, which is somewhere in the region of 1 1/4 million, (and I believe that his donation is on the condition it is built in Halkirk) there probably would not be a sports centre anywhere in the county. There has been talk about providing a sports centre for yonks but absolutely nothing has come of it. That is the reason why the centre is hoping to be built in Halkirk. If some other very generous benefactor comes along maybe Thurso and/or Wick could have their own facility. Without Andrew's very generous donation the county would still be void of a sports centre. We should all thank Andrew and get behind the committee help raise the extra funding required and get the project of the ground as soon as possible so that everyone no matter their age in the surrounding areas can make use of what looks like a very prestigous project.

And now I understand why it makes sense to build it in Halkirk. I only read the thread, not the web link, so had no idea of this very generous donation.

However, if that's the case, just how much is being offered from the windmills? Is it really anything significant to benefit the community, or just more spin from people with very large spinners?

GNG

david
03-Dec-08, 11:19
Hear Hear.

Unfortunately, in Caithness, there will always be people who will try to make bad of a good thing.

Agree totally-in the case of the windmill money the good green energy is being spent unwisely IMHO

Tilter
03-Dec-08, 11:30
However, if that's the case, just how much is being offered from the windmills? Is it really anything significant to benefit the community, or just more spin from people with very large spinners?GNG

I believe it's £150K. Presumably more could be asked for if it was necessary.

david
03-Dec-08, 11:38

So can the sports centre be built without the HDBF very kind donation?

theone
03-Dec-08, 19:00
So can the sports centre be built without the HDBF very kind donation?

A condition of the donation is that more money must be raised by the community.

It could be built without the HDBF providing they source the money elsewhere, however that is no mean feat.

Everyone agrees the sports complex would benefit the community. The fund was set up to benefit the community. Why not use it?

david
07-Dec-08, 11:19
Why not use it wisely for the benifit of the community and in keeping with the green energy produced to fund it in part?