PDA

View Full Version : Haggis is junk food

Kenn
27-Jan-06, 01:34
Did any one else pick up on the fact that haggis has been officially declared a junk food and rates on par with chicken nuggets?
This was reported in several newspapers and even made a headline in my local journal on a recent night, no guesses which day this week.

Are we going to put up with this slur on "The Chieftain o' the puddin' race " or are we going to defend our rights to enjoy a traditional dish?

The reasons stated for the classification as junk food were that it contains high levels of fat and salt and that eating one a day could be seriously injurious to your health. Now I know of no one that would or could eat a whole one every day so I find this attack on a very enjoyable dish some what bemusing.

Right, I 'm off to cook mine in Drambuie sauce any one else got a special recipes for the wee beastie?

rich62_uk
27-Jan-06, 10:01
I have never eaten it, what does it taste like and what exactly is in it ? Trish.

emszxr
27-Jan-06, 10:29
hiya, in a proper haggis, not the veggie version, is

a sheeps pluck
onions
suet
oats
spices
stock

may not sound nice but its yummy.

Ann
27-Jan-06, 10:32
I used to enjoy the occasional haggis but after starting to read Helen Campbell's book "Brodie McHaggis and the Secret of Loch Ness" I don't think I could eat another one. It would remind too much of Brodie who is an endearing little chap!

As for haggis being junk food, I understand the thinking behind the statement but given our democratic freedom of choice, does it matter? After all, Christmas pudding with all its trimmings could also be classed as such along with lots of other goodies, but it is up to us as to how much of these foods we consume.

After all, a little of what you fancy does you good; "little" being the all important word here.

Personally I rather like several junk foods! And it shows!

Ann

golach
27-Jan-06, 10:41
OMG!!!! Lizz what are you reading that scandelous rubbish for, read the Scotsman or the Groat.
Trish have a look at this link, give it a try when you come up north, I will admit it is not to everyones taste up here, there are some in my own family that dont like it but Yeuch they like tripe [mad]
http://www.worldburnsclub.com/begin/address_to_a_haggis.htm

squidge
27-Jan-06, 10:48
Last weekend i had a birthday party and it was sort of Burns supperish. I bought a TEN POUND haggis and it was magnificent!!!

neeps tatties and chocolate cake for afters

yummmmmmmy

paris
27-Jan-06, 11:59
Not having eaten or cooked haggis before i lived in caithness, on a shopping trip into wick i felt i just had to try one. so of i go back home, haggis in hand, didnt read instructions, put it in the oven and roasted it. I was left with a rock hard ball but not wanted to be laughed at ate it anyway. hubby and kids turned it down . Not bad for a first attempt , quite liked it . Never been much of a cook LOL !

rich62_uk
27-Jan-06, 12:39
OMG!!!! Lizz what are you reading that scandelous rubbish for, read the Scotsman or the Groat.
Trish have a look at this link, give it a try when you come up north, I will admit it is not to everyones taste up here, there are some in my own family that dont like it but Yeuch they like tripe [mad]
http://www.worldburnsclub.com/begin/address_to_a_haggis.htm
Great link Golach, sounds like an improved sausage, and since one of my children aptly named "Robert" has a passion for sausages I will try it out, but what I now need to know is how do I cook neeps tatties ? Trish.

golach
27-Jan-06, 12:52
Great link Golach, sounds like an improved sausage, and since one of my children aptly named "Robert" has a passion for sausages I will try it out, but what I now need to know is how do I cook neeps tatties ? Trish.
Lol Trish
thats easy boil your potatoes as normal, and turnips are boiled also until soft when mash both together and you have an old Caithness dish of "Clapshot" yummmy season with salt and pepper to taste

squidge
27-Jan-06, 13:01
add a wee bit of butter and cream too

yummy

oh unless you are onthe dieting thread as well lol

Niall Fernie
27-Jan-06, 13:15
If you're about to try your first haggis, I'd recommend Coburn's from Dingwall. Good to have a proper benchmark before you try anything like the ones you see in the supermarket. (shudder)

I think there are a few shops in the county that sell Coburn's haggis, but if you cant find it locally its well worth the trip to Dingwall.

Anyone recommend a local alternative, have tried a couple of the local butchers, good but no cigars.

Karaoke Queen
27-Jan-06, 14:24
Harrolds Butchers in Thurso! Yummy!

wickerinca
27-Jan-06, 16:39
There was a report on a Burns Supper that was held here a couple of years ago and the author discovered the recipe that the ladies has used to make the 'haggis'. One of the ingredients was ginger!! Have you ever heard the like!!!! I had to write in a deny that it a typical Scottish dish if it had ginger in it!! What is the world coming to when they think that they can improve haggis!!?

I love the stuff.......and my Mother ate some the other night, purely by accident!!!....and discovered that she likes it too!!!!

And here's a message for all you EU besoms......leave wur stuff alone!!! (What's the smiley for Hummpphh!!!)

Saveman
27-Jan-06, 16:51
The Bayview in Lybster gave me free haggis cos I'd never tasted it before....it was delish, highly recommended.

As for it being junk food.....well if you eat a balanced diet then a bit of haggis now and again won't do you any harm. (I'm not a dietitian BTW)

Once they become a endangered species (and they will) then that'll be a different matter.

connieb19
27-Jan-06, 18:11
Has anyone tried the Vegetarian Haggis?:grin:

krieve
27-Jan-06, 18:13
No what like is it connie???

connieb19
27-Jan-06, 18:17
No what like is it connie???I don't know.. thats why i'm wondering..lol
I'll be able to tell you after tomorrow night though.... after i've been to the Burns Supper..:Razz

rich62_uk
27-Jan-06, 18:18

Had the Veggie Haggis from Tescos many years ago and to be honest it wasn't bad, were i a veggie i would miss the gravy though....:o) Rich..

krieve
27-Jan-06, 18:24
I don't know.. thats why i'm wondering..lol
I'll be able to tell you after tomorrow night though.... after i've been to the Burns Supper..:Razz
What burns supper you going to lol

connieb19
27-Jan-06, 18:27
What burns supper you going to lolHavn't you heard...It's the biggest event of the year..lol..well it is for me:Razz

krieve
27-Jan-06, 18:29
yeh i heard probably see you lol

Rheghead
27-Jan-06, 18:31

It's nice but you can't beat the real thing.

connieb19
27-Jan-06, 18:34
It's nice but you can't beat the real thing.I'll just have both... better to fit it all in before the big weigh in on Monday..lol[para]

wickerinca
27-Jan-06, 18:48
Have a look at this...one of my favourite websites!!

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com:lol: :lol:

JAWS
28-Jan-06, 00:05
I think the relevant question asked about the new guidelines about childern eating haggis was, "Will Scots have to change their children's eating habits very much so they don't have haggis more than once a week?" :D

I don't know which numpty came up with the advice about haggis but he must live amongst very strange people.

spiggie
28-Jan-06, 00:31
i just stuffed my face with a haggis tonight at a burns supper, and i must say it was scrumdiddlyumchious!! so im no worrying if its junk food or no! :)

angela5
28-Jan-06, 00:35
I'll be stuffing my face with a veggie haggis tomorrow night..can't wait:D

spiggie
28-Jan-06, 00:36
never heard of veggie haggis, whats in it?

ice box
28-Jan-06, 00:38
I'll be stuffing my face with a veggie haggis tomorrow night..can't wait:D
Come on now there's only one haggis and it aint veggie lol

connieb19
28-Jan-06, 00:41
never heard of veggie haggis, whats in it?cardboard and veg stock cubes likely..lol. I dunno but i'm trying it tomorrow night too so i'll let you know then..:confused:

angela5
28-Jan-06, 00:43
never heard of veggie haggis, whats in it?

Dunno sawdust likely..just sounds ok veggie haggis, i'll give it a try and i'll let you know what it was like:grin:

connieb19
28-Jan-06, 00:45
Dunno sawdust likely..just sounds ok veggie haggis, i'll give it a try and i'll let you know what it was like:grin:Great minds think alike.. at least we've not set our expectations too high..lol:Razz

Dr Evil
28-Jan-06, 14:24
[mad] [mad] what an insult to call haggis junk food more like them to concentrate on the real junk food, deep fried mars bar and deep fried pizza now there is some heart attack food... well i don't care what anyone says the other night when we were bobbing up and and down off he coast of campbelltown we still had our haggis neeps and tatties, and it was enjoyed by all. ;) :grin:

JAWS
28-Jan-06, 16:21
Does anybody else find that being constantly treated like children who are being lectured by our 'Betters' on how to live our lives very insulting.

My health is a matter for me and my Doctors, not some arrogant Government Department constantly force feeding me with the information that "We know best, just do what we tell you!"

The only thing I have become convinced of by all of their hectoring is that statistics can be twisted and misused. They can show anything you wish and that if you search well enough and for long enough you will find exactly what you wish to invent.

How did anybody manage to arrive at the conclusion that people are giving children too much haggis? Who's feeding habits have they studied? How many children did they force feed haggis to in order to have decided that it's bad for them?

Could it just be that Haggis is on everybody’s minds with the approach of Burns' Night and an headline opportunity has been grabbed to show how thoughtful and caring our leaders are about our Health and Welfare!

It sounds more like an attention seeking stunt to me than it ever does as good sound health advice!

wilma
28-Jan-06, 18:25
cardboard and veg stock cubes likely..lol. I dunno but i'm trying it tomorrow night too so i'll let you know then..:confused:
Are you Connie i had some last night, but i had had a few drams first so i could'nt tell you what is in it sorry but i was yum yum lol.