PDA

View Full Version : St Andrew's Day

wifie
28-Nov-08, 16:16
Is there anything happening for St Andrew's Day in Caithness? Several free visitor attractions round and about but the nearest for you all will probably be in Inverness.

changilass
28-Nov-08, 16:19
Nursery had the dancers in and the wee man went to school in a kilt. Now I may be biased but he looked great, and so cute lol

wifie
28-Nov-08, 16:20
Aaaaaw lovely Changi! They did nothing in our school this year! :( Last year they had a scottish day finishing with a quiz which was great! HT is not keen on having things every year! :roll:

Gizmo
28-Nov-08, 16:30
Is there anything happening for St Andrew's Day in Caithness? Several free visitor attractions round and about but the nearest for you all will probably be in Inverness.

They have a day for me?...shucks, i'm touched :eek:not in the Gary Glitter way though:eek:, never been called a Saint before though, but thanks all the same, can we have jelly and ice cream? :lol:

wifie
28-Nov-08, 16:32
They have a day for me?...shucks, i'm touched not in the Gary Glitter way though, never been called a Saint before though, but thanks all the same, can we have jelly and ice cream? :lol:
Well if yer a Saint and yer name's Andrew of course you can! :roll:

Gizmo
28-Nov-08, 16:42
Well if yer a Saint and yer name's Andrew of course you can! :roll:

Good as gold these days, but my past is rather colourful and chequered, and the absolute lunacy of my life between 2005 and the end of 2007 probably makes my application for Saint Hood null and void :lol:

wifie
28-Nov-08, 16:48
Good as gold these days, but my past is rather colourful and chequered, and the absolute lunacy of my life between 2005 and the end of 2007 probably makes my application for Saint Hood null and void :lol:
Well there will be no jelly and ice cream for you young man! :Razz

arana negra
28-Nov-08, 16:57
Here is a link to find out where you can visit attractions for FREE or the special discount on offer.

http://www.scotland.org/standrewsday/visit-for-free/

anneoctober
28-Nov-08, 16:58
Louise goes to Penyland Primary and they got dressed up in tartan skirts/kilts etc. Mrs Todd gave her a tartan ribbon for her hair and she was delighted. :) Mummy took a photo and she looks SO grown up. Nana's sweetpea is getting to be a BIG girl of 6 !![lol]

wifie
28-Nov-08, 16:58
Here is a link to find out where you can visit attractions for FREE or the special discount on offer.

http://www.scotland.org/standrewsday/visit-for-free/

:o TY not great at remembering to include links!

Gizmo
28-Nov-08, 17:02
Well there will be no jelly and ice cream for you young man! :Razz

[stomps feet]...awww...min!..ats noh fair [puts the lip on and folds arms in a huff] :lol:

348 days sober...can i noh get a little plate o jelly and ice cream?

anneoctober
28-Nov-08, 17:07
[stomps feet]...awww...min!..ats noh fair [puts the lip on and folds arms in a huff] :lol:

Ah canna stand hid any more , - Wifie PLEASE gie him some jelly........ or at least a biccie...........[lol]

wifie
28-Nov-08, 17:14

OK I dinna usually encourage bairns who stamp their feet at me and put e lip on but seein as ye hev been good just a little one! You should thank Anneoctober - she tipped the balance in yer favour! But the jelly is lime - yer no gettin a choice! [lol]

unicorn
28-Nov-08, 17:14
you can have a whole bowl of jelly anddd a big tub of ice cream well done on the sobriety :D

Gizmo
28-Nov-08, 17:21
OK I dinna usually encourage bairns who stamp their feet at me and put e lip on but seein as ye hev been good just a little one! You should thank Anneoctober - she tipped the balance in yer favour! But the jelly is lime - yer no gettin a choice! [lol]

:lol: Lime is honestly my favourite flavour of Jelly...yer a star wifie :)

wifie
28-Nov-08, 17:38
:lol: Lime is honestly my favourite flavour of Jelly...yer a star wifie :)

Och it is worth it for yer happy smilin face Gizmo! [lol]

TBH
28-Nov-08, 20:31
Aaaaaw lovely Changi! They did nothing in our school this year! :( Last year they had a scottish day finishing with a quiz which was great! HT is not keen on having things every year! :roll:They are not keen because they are too busy getting our kids to celebrate the festivals of other cultures.

wifie
28-Nov-08, 20:42
They are not keen because they are too busy getting our kids to celebrate the festivals of other cultures.
Unusually I haven't really witnessed that this year! They are doin a new thing called vertical learning (new to me anyhow) where P1-3 and P4-7 are split into groups with pupils from each class so you learn with pupils of different ages. The topic for just now is the rainforest and is in great depth! My kids seem to be getting a lot from it! Important for them to learn how amazing rainforests are and how man is tryin his best to kill them. I have learnt some stuff myself! :)

northener
28-Nov-08, 20:52
There's a strange contrast between England and Scotland when it comes to National days.

The last time I was in England on St Georges day was 5 years ago and you could not move for St Georges' flags being flown. They were on cars, buildings, kids, you name it. I can only assume that it is still the same...unless someone who lives there can tell us different.

In Scotland? I've seen very little over the past few years.

Which really suprises me, as the Scots appear to fly more flags during the rest of the year and also seem to have more pride in their Identity.

Or maybe that's the reason? In Scotland, maybe we don't feel the need to 'celebrate' on one day by dragging out the flags - because we do it all year round.......I dunno.

Any theories/comments?

wifie
28-Nov-08, 20:59
I agree with you Northener - good points. I also feel that in this country people are not keen on being organised in their celebrations, ie. being told how to celebrate. I am happy at the fact that some places are letting the public in free - which is fine if you live down south - that is the reason for my OP. From the info I read there is not much on offer in the far north.

TBH
28-Nov-08, 21:04
Unusually I haven't really witnessed that this year! They are doin a new thing called vertical learning (new to me anyhow) where P1-3 and P4-7 are split into groups with pupils from each class so you learn with pupils of different ages. The topic for just now is the rainforest and is in great depth! My kids seem to be getting a lot from it! Important for them to learn how amazing rainforests are and how man is tryin his best to kill them. I have learnt some stuff myself! :)Whaaaaat, no Diwali for you this year, how very dare they.

AfternoonDelight
29-Nov-08, 00:27
good as gold these days, but my past is rather colourful and chequered, and the absolute lunacy of my life between 2005 and the end of 2007 probably makes my application for saint hood null and void :lol:

just 2005 - 2007??? ;);)

Gizmo
29-Nov-08, 00:59
just 2005 - 2007??? ;);)

Yep, that was the 'living like an alcoholic rock star, just without any of the money, fame or good looking woman' period, the rest was just colourful...and sometimes chequered :)

wifie
30-Nov-08, 01:53
Happy St Andrew's day orgers!

arana negra
30-Nov-08, 09:14
Aye the same fae me :)

canuck
30-Nov-08, 09:44
Happy St. Andrew's Day from Edinburgh.

Murdina Bug
30-Nov-08, 10:54
When and why did we start to 'celebrate' St. Andrew's Day? I don't remember any 'events' when I was at school. How was it suddenly decided that it needs to be marked as an occassion? As far as I can see it's been a bit of a bandwagon that has been jumped on by various organisations keen to bend it to fit their idea of Scotland - i.e. in some areas it is being used to roll out the tartan and all things 'traditionally Scottish', in other areas it is being used as a 'multi-cultural/one culture' shindig.

At this rate we will be having a celebration every week, especially if we start adopting all cultures represented in Scotland!

Is the bigging up of it this year a prelude to the (hopefully) moneyspinning Homecoming 2009 plans?

arana negra
30-Nov-08, 12:50
I have always been aware of St Andrews Day, it is our national day ! The Welsh and English celebrate their National Days. Do the Welsh/English have 'events' to celebrate their days ?

I don't 'need' a day to remember I am Scottish and proud of it. I don't think it has just been decided to celebrate it either, if it helps promote Scotland and Scottish events/heritage/history/famous people/inventions etc then good !

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 14:42
I find it strange that as a nation we don't really make that big a deal of St Andrews Day, yet when St Patricks Day comes around every Scot suddenly thinks he's Irish and heads to the pub for a blootering session :confused