PDA

View Full Version : Woolworths

ellimac
26-Nov-08, 19:46
Hi All

Just heard the new that Woolies are going into Administration!!!! What else is going to happen, also on the news MFI is another company that maybe going into Administration.... Hard times, desperate measures....... Things are really looking bleak and they will get bleaker yet no doubt........:( :( :(

zappster
26-Nov-08, 19:52
Oh dear it looks like bad news for woolies!
It'll be a sad sad day if woolies closes!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7751064.stm

oldchemist
26-Nov-08, 20:05
Yes - a pity. I can remember going into Woolies about 55 years ago. Still, no place for sentiment in business. Feel very sorry for those who may lose their jobs though.

binbob
26-Nov-08, 20:06
very sad..............:(

silverfox57
26-Nov-08, 20:17
start of bad times ahead, sad that woolies are to go,as they where
on the go long before all the new superstores,very sad for workers
who have worked for them for many years,and just before xmas,

Angela
26-Nov-08, 20:19
It is sad, if not unexpected. I remember Woolies in Wick as a wee girl -and the joys of the pick'n'mix....:D

I still pop into my local Woolies and always seem to come out with some bargain odds and ends I hadn't even known I was looking for.

I last went in for a diary and emerged with said diary, shoe polish, a woolly hat, some socks and 2 wispas.;)

I do think Woolies has lost its way a bit, but I would miss it if it vanished. :(

I'd like to see it revamped as a sort of Aladdin's Cave in contrast to the dull predictability of the supermarkets.

veekay
26-Nov-08, 20:57
My first Saturday job was in Woolies. We had horrid green nylon overalls and a very strict manageress. I remember I had tro sell electical wire from rolls and had to measure it out none of the pre-packed stuff

gleeber
26-Nov-08, 21:00
It's almost sad. I remember when Woolies opened in Thurso. Mrs Nornes old shop. I never knew her shop was so big.:eek:

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 22:13
Its so sad especially just before their 100 years of trading,which would have been next year.:(

Gizmo
26-Nov-08, 22:28
I can't imagine Wick High St without Woolworths, it's just one of those iconic shops that you always imagined being around, i really hope a buyer can be found, if Woolies goes there will be next to nothing left on the High St, and the Market Sq will be practically empty, the countdown has begun, this country is going to come to a standstill.

carasmam
26-Nov-08, 22:33
It's a shame. The High St wont be the same if it goes :confused
Never mind we might get a huge charity shop in its place [disgust]

Gizmo
26-Nov-08, 22:40
It's a shame. The High St wont be the same if it goes :confused
Never mind we might get a huge charity shop in its place [disgust]

Or another takeaway :)

Ash
26-Nov-08, 22:45
i love woolies, i like going in as i always come out with something... its the only non expensive place in thurso for toys for kids!

Tighsonas4
26-Nov-08, 22:48
can rember woolies when it opened and kitty thain was manegeress
nothing over 3pence and sixpenes long time ago [lol] tony

Bad Manners
26-Nov-08, 23:05
It is a shame that they have found themselves in this position I feel that they have tried to match so many other outlet instead of concentrating on what they did best bringing everday bargains.
I hope a buyer can be found and breath new life into what is soon to become an institution.

George Brims
26-Nov-08, 23:14
I too think Woollies suffered from trying to be some other company, instead of being what it always was. I always used to think of Woollies as the place to go if I didn't know where else to get something.
In the US, the Woolworths stores are long gone. Nowadays Target fulfills something of the same role Woollies used to. A good thing about them (and the same applies to the much-maligned Wal-Mart) is if they sell you something, they will also sell you the things you need to use it. So they have all sizes of belts and bags for Hoovers, spare bits for the electric razors they sell, and so on. That's kind of how Woollies used to be too. Plus they used to sell that great fudge in great big chunks!

purplelady
27-Nov-08, 00:05
until recently i worked in woollies and to be honest have seen this coming for a long while things have not been rite for a while a lot less stock in at busy times like easter and chirstmas it will be sad to see it go and i have friends who work there and will lose their jobs and at this time of year it is so sad for them

davem
27-Nov-08, 00:12
It is in administration, not finished yet. It could be bought as a going concern.

Anne x
27-Nov-08, 00:16
I mind going to Woolies in Wick on John Allans Bus from my Grannies in Spittal and buying Poppets Beads not sweeties little coloured plastic beads when joined together went pop thought I was Archie

Then Thurso on the same Bus but a different day of to Woolies in Thursa buying more goodies mind they had arranged displays with Glass I felt so chuffed buying them and pointing out what I wanted

Gizmo
27-Nov-08, 00:18
can rember woolies when it opened and kitty thain was manegeress
nothing over 3pence and sixpenes long time ago [lol] tony

Kitty Thain?, later in life did she live if lower papigoe with her friend/sister?..nana?, Kitty & Nana were great friends of my granny & grandad and i would quite often visit them as a kid, they were brilliant old ladies, a right good laugh, i have fond memories of those two :)

Fran
27-Nov-08, 02:20
I thought woolworths has now been bought over so the shops will stay but have a different name. hope this is true.

brokencross
27-Nov-08, 10:11
I always used to think of Woollies as the place to go if I didn't know where else to get something.

Heard similar sentiments on the radio yesterday, the person said "Woolies is the place you go to buy something you can't find anywhere else"

It is a shame, if people use it as their first port of call it wouldn't be in this mess now.

ellimac
27-Nov-08, 11:14
I thought woolworths has now been bought over so the shops will stay but have a different name. hope this is true.

Hi

As far as I know it hasn't been bought over by anyone, but both Wick & Thurso are trading as normal until told not to and then it will be more closed door's on our High street....... They will probably try and keep open some stores and sell of others, but I think both Wick and Thurso will be ones that will close along with others down the line......... Shame for both lot's of staff....... So Sad :(

I worked in the Thurso store for nearly 16 years but have been out of it for nearly 9, it had it's highs and low's and I seen a few managers come and go, but I really loved my time there and I still miss it to this day. I will be upset to see Woolies go, but as a few quotes have mentioned it has lost its way and has not been concentrating on what it used to do best... Never helps to keep up with the Jones's.....

hotrod4
27-Nov-08, 12:12
Or another takeaway :)
Or knowing our luck a Super,Super Charity shop!!!.
I do hope that Woolies survives, but feel they havent been as good as they once were. new players have come on the scene since woolies were massive and it seems they havent adjusted well. They are a good "local" type of shop that is owned by a large organisation they always seemed to play on the "local" thing and I think that is why people liked them.
Such a shame:(

porshiepoo
27-Nov-08, 12:29
The main shame for me is the loss of jobs - especially at this time of year.

Woolies used to be a good shop but they've long since lost the plot. They ended up being a bit of everything, but nothing interesting shop.
I do still go in to the one in Wick but it's only to pick up gardening bargains, the pick and mix ended for me years ago - once I realised how ridiculously priced they were.

My thoughts do go out to all those who are going to suffer with job losses though.

Tighsonas4
27-Nov-08, 13:59
Kitty Thain?, later in life did she live if lower papigoe with her friend/sister?..nana?, Kitty & Nana were great friends of my granny & grandad and i would quite often visit them as a kid, they were brilliant old ladies, a right good laugh, i have fond memories of those two :)
yes thats right her and nana lived in papigoe . im not quite sure but think nana was a nurse at one time regards tony

Tighsonas4
27-Nov-08, 17:52
was looking at the building itself today and its really quite impressive
does any of you historians know what it was before woolies came to wick maybe a bank or something ???? curious tony

wndyndy
27-Nov-08, 17:59
town would b really quiet withou woolies:~(

cuddlepop
27-Nov-08, 18:28
I remember the Saturday ritual was going to Woolies for your Pick @Mix and then going to the pictures.:D

Oh happy days.

poppett
27-Nov-08, 19:40
What is to happen to the folk who have saved up and bought Woolies vouchers for christmas presents. Will there be any chance of a refund on them?

changilass
27-Nov-08, 20:22
The shops are still open, if you are worried go spend them now, has to be better than worrying and maybe ending up with nowt.

wndyndy
27-Nov-08, 20:33
could b another pub?:(

igglepiggle
27-Nov-08, 22:11
a staff member said to the lady infront of me in the queue that as far as they know they are open to christmas, after that they dont know, but they have been informed that they may close anytime.

i had vouchers for xmas pressies and i went and bought for birthdays i have coming up next year and will give money instead. at least this way i have not lost anything.

the shop was really busy today

COACHMAN
27-Nov-08, 22:19
does any of you historians know what it was before woolies came to wick maybe a bank or something ???? curious tony
I think it was a Bank and Part of it was British Airways Travel Shop

Tosh
27-Nov-08, 22:27
My daughter has worked in the Aberdeen store for a few years while doing here degree, they were all told last week that the shop will be closed at the end of this week and they would get paid.

sweetpea
28-Nov-08, 00:42
Nationally it's about 3000 staff to go, add that to all the finance and construction jobs and the embargo on apprenticeships and training and what have you got?

purplelady
28-Nov-08, 00:49
Yes it used to be a bank i will miss it like i say have firends working there still feel for them xxxxxxxxxxxx

Aaldtimer
28-Nov-08, 02:07
Nationally it's about 3000 staff to go, add that to all the finance and construction jobs and the embargo on apprenticeships and training and what have you got?

Actually Sweetpea, it's 30,000...see here:-

http://search.bbc.co.uk/click/p/1/ds/best/t/News%2520%252d%2520Brown%2520pledges%2520Woolworth s%2520support/id/17231391113621122783427196426179000/sp/f9e020424418712f2914f304ee34317c/-/http%253a%252f%252fnews%252ebbc%252eco%252euk%252f 1%252fhi%252fbusiness%252f7751714%252estm

'e Broon boy's tryin' his best! :confused

bettedaviseyes
28-Nov-08, 17:05
its no shocked that this has happened to woolies with big store's like asda being around were you get anything you want in them....:Razz

Venture
28-Nov-08, 17:22
could b another pub?:(

It could be bought over for a pub or turned into flats. Woolies only rent the building so I would imagine the owners will sell it now.

Mosser
28-Nov-08, 18:18

North of Scotland Bank built 1886, Woolworth's came I think around 1933

Tighsonas4
28-Nov-08, 18:23
What is to happen to the folk who have saved up and bought Woolies vouchers for christmas presents. Will there be any chance of a refund on them?
i heard it being discussed and it seems there was a time when the vouchers could be redeemed in some other outlets like boots etc but not this ones
best bet is to cash them while the going is good eh [lol] tony

Tighsonas4
28-Nov-08, 18:27
thanks for that mosser i wonder if it was built for them as its not just any old building tony

Tighsonas4
28-Nov-08, 18:30
that would be about right as that would mean i was seven years old when woolies arrived tony

poppett
28-Nov-08, 19:59
Best I could do about the vouchers was to phone the mum of the children who gets them to open the envelope right away and take them to the local Woolies this weekend, that`s if the post office can get them there before their local Woolies closes its doors.

She is as miffed as I am because the vouchers have taught the children good value for money....... ie get twice as much for the vouchers in the half price sale on boxing day!!

Vistravi
04-Dec-08, 21:55
This is the start of caithness going to the pits.
First woolies, what next tesco or semi chem. The town centre will start to resemble wick soon. There will be nothing here in a year or so. I'm getting out while i can.

gunnlass
05-Dec-08, 00:48
It's Thurso funday on Saturday 6th, a chance to support the town and help make the festive spirit, I heard the Wick one was well supported that's what we need some Caithness spirit, well done.