PDA

View Full Version : Combat Cooks

hotrod4
26-Nov-08, 18:30
Theres a new prog on CH5 tonight which is about Army Chefs. I just hope they show us in good light! Knowing my luck they will be doing no combat at all, which will worsen some peoples already bad impression of the Corps.
I will post tomorrow with my views on it! (fingers crossed;))

Boss
26-Nov-08, 20:41
Theres a new prog on CH5 tonight which is about Army Chefs. I just hope they show us in good light! Knowing my luck they will be doing no combat at all, which will worsen some peoples already bad impression of the Corps.

Hey Man / Women, Hotrod- some of the best Chefs and Cooks in the entire world, were army trained!
It's all to do with discipline, and the SKILL, to make something out of next to nothing!!
And to be congratulated for doing so.......................??:)

Lady In Bed
27-Nov-08, 08:53
Hey Man / Women, Hotrod- some of the best Chefs and Cooks in the entire world, were army trained!
It's all to do with discipline, and the SKILL, to make something out of next to nothing!!

In my army days,a long time ago, some of the army cooks were known for making nothing out of something and expected to be congratulated for it!:D
My son, now a chef, tells me of the changes. Sounds like great food is being produced.

hotrod4
27-Nov-08, 09:47
I agree with you there, I was army Trained and could Kick Gordon Ramseys butt!!!!;) (Think his wife would pay me to do that at the moment[lol])

I have taken that training throughout my catering career and into everyday life. Its all about making the best of a bad situation and wasting nothing.

Utilisation of over production was my favourite saying!!

The guy on the prog that was the Master Chef in Afghanistan was in my platoon in training! He's put on alot of weight since I last saw him!

MadPict
27-Nov-08, 12:36
Just as I said to my wife, "I miss Compo sausages", they turned out several tins of sausages in gravy...

Two trades you never upset - medics and cooks... :D

hotrod4
27-Nov-08, 14:15
Just as I said to my wife, "I miss Compo sausages", they turned out several tins of sausages in gravy...

Two trades you never upset - medics and cooks... :D
I used to love compo sausages and the Bacon Grill.
Babies heads were another of my favourites!

muffin
27-Nov-08, 16:26
Sounds great, any chance of a recipe for Compo sausages or babies heads?

MadPict
27-Nov-08, 16:36
Compo sausages were, well, just a sausage. I use the term 'sausage' but in today's health conscious, concerned about what we eat, society the ingredients, if revealed, would probably make your stomach turn!!

As for babies heads? - just good old steak and kidney pudding...

muffin
27-Nov-08, 16:40
Thanks, Madpict, why did they call steak and kidney pudding babies heads?

MadPict
27-Nov-08, 17:01
I'll leave it to your imagination...

Have found that a company called Westler Foods makes 'compo sausages', they call them "Sausages in Lard".... Yum, lard...

Boss
27-Nov-08, 17:32
In my army days,a long time ago, some of the army cooks were known for making nothing out of something and expected to be congratulated for it!:D
My son, now a chef, tells me of the changes. Sounds like great food is being produced.

I was trained in College, to city & guilds standard,
I have in my time worked alongside many army cooks, they are in my opinion better trained than such as myself although I am fully qualified,
I despair for today's young people who wish to embark on a career in catering, many cannot even get the basic in food hygiene into their heads let alone anything else.

Skills learned in a military establishment are with that person for life and I consider myself honoured to have had some experience in catering alongside an army trained person.

Boss
27-Nov-08, 17:34

So? what were your views on the telly.

compo
27-Nov-08, 18:10
well as has allready been said they are great men and women much maligned by their colueges but apart from in the field and on operations these days its all contract catering and things like pay to dine and portion control which has driven away alot of service men and women from the cookhouse to the kebab shop. gone are the days of having a bewildering array of choice 3 times a day every day all year round. good guys and girls the cooks

cuddlepop
27-Nov-08, 18:35
Combat cooks are really something else.....

i went to catering college and the chefs that were military trained were so
scarey.
Decided I wouldnt manage to be so tough and went into institional catering,wimp that I am.:lol:

flash
27-Nov-08, 19:11
mmmmmmm babies heads and compo sausages, me and another ex crab were reminicing just yesterday about them. We used to call army cooks fitters and turners. They would fit food into pots and turn it into s***.

In all seriousness, I don't ever remember a bad meal from an army, or air force chef, even from a field kitchen

hotrod4
28-Nov-08, 11:26
So? what were your views on the telly.
It was quite good. My only hope for the programme is that it shows that Army Chefs have to be a soldier first and foremost. Alot of people have the impression that army chefs dont do BFT CFt etc but in reality they have too the same as everyone else.
I used to love cooking in the middle of nowhere with a No5 cookset, it was something else.
Had to use them when I cooked for the NATO TA exercise in germany. we w ere catering for 2,500 per day just me and 5 prents. It was an eye opener and an experience I will never forget! We were on 16 hour days but it was worth every minute just to see the lads faces when they turned up for a meal, it was priceless and what made me join in the first place.

hotrod4
28-Nov-08, 11:28
mmmmmmm babies heads and compo sausages, me and another ex crab were reminicing just yesterday about them. We used to call army cooks fitters and turners. They would fit food into pots and turn it into s***.

In all seriousness, I don't ever remember a bad meal from an army, or air force chef, even from a field kitchen
You forgot Cabbage Mechanic!![lol]
Must admit never had a bad flight with Crab Air!!!!! The boys at Aldergrove were great especially the Lynx guys who used to fly me down to Belleek, they gave new meaning to the term "Strategic defensive flying", but why did they insist on Skimming buildings![lol]

chef4celebrations
14-Jan-09, 22:43
I agree with you there, I was army Trained and could Kick Gordon Ramseys butt!!!!;) (Think his wife would pay me to do that at the moment[lol])

I have taken that training throughout my catering career and into everyday life. Its all about making the best of a bad situation and wasting nothing.

The guy on the prog that was the Master Chef in Afghanistan was in my platoon in training! He's put on alot of weight since I last saw him!

out of a matter of intrest who are you and what intake were you in,,,,

please name the barrack block that the afgan masterchef was in, in training

chef4celebrations
15-Jan-09, 11:35
is there any combat chefs around here then?

hotrod4
15-Jan-09, 13:25
out of a matter of intrest who are you and what intake were you in,,,,

please name the barrack block that the afgan masterchef was in, in training
1/87 and he was in Venning Platoon.
Tale it your from St omer as well then ;)

chef4celebrations
15-Jan-09, 14:58
the term compo sausage came from the name of the ration pack they are in, called composite rations, see where the compo comes from...
babies heads came from when you cut the tin open at each end you then pushed out the pudding half way, then cut it, what you were left with is one end steak and one of kidney, and it looks like you just chopped off the top of a babies head hence the name......lol.
there are loads of other names depending what unit you were serving with and how perverse they were,,,,lol you old slop jocky's know what i mean.

chef4celebrations
15-Jan-09, 17:56
yes venning platoon, A Coy, passed out 30 may 90, intake 2/88

grumpy1
15-Jan-09, 20:27

i was just wondering if the guy yr taliking about is a certain mr martin.. if so i served with him as well...

chef4celebrations
15-Jan-09, 20:31
WO2 hewitt and major harry lomas