PDA

View Full Version : New community School.

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 13:45
Did anyone else see on ceefax yesterday that HC may have to close 10 of their 13 swimming pools in Highland because of financial budget pressue
With Thurso and Wick being less than 20 miles apart I'd be very afraid your going to lose one.

On another Education matter Aviemore looks like they will be getting a new Community Facilitie
Plans Go On Display For New Aviemore Community School (26/11/08)

Members of the public are invited to view the proposals for the new Aviemore Community School at Aviemore Library, units 1 & 2, Market Hall, Aviemore on Monday 1 December 2008.
The Highland Council’s Education, Culture and Sport Officers will be in attendance to answer any questions from 14.00-1700 hours and again from 18.00-20.00 hours.
The proposals include community facilities, nursery wrap-around care facilities, a new community library, a service point and 21st century school accommodation.
The site of the new school will be adjacent to the Health Centre at Grampian Road.
This public exhibition follows consultation with key stakeholders including the school’s Parent Council, the Head Teacher, local Members and representatives from the Community Centre Management Group.
ENDS

Would it not be possible for the Community In Wick to go for a new Community School too and get a brand new pool aswell as school.

As of 2010 single parents of a child 7 and above will have to be actively seeking employment so will require wrap around care.

Just a thought.:)

rfr10
26-Nov-08, 16:59
Well I think a school would be much higher priority over a swimming pool although, if they were to close this many pools in the Highland area, I think there would be a huge upcry. The pools in both Wick and Thurso are used for public swimming as well as being used by the affiliate swimming clubs of Scottish Swimming. I see what you are referring to on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7747531.stm

I cannot honestly see this happening. They will have a huge number of employees out of a job and will not be popular with the local community. Let's guess that they are going to keep the swimming pools around the Inverness area open and then most likely close the pools up north as they always seem to offer priority to Inverness and surrounding area- just with schools (Millburn, Dingwall, etc, etc.) I would most certainly hope that they do not close Wick Swimming Pool down as it is a very nice, clean pool which is obviously very well maintained. They should be trying to promote healthy living and exercise, not making it even more difficult than it already is.

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 18:28
We have a brand new community facilitie over here in Portree which incorporates School ,library,pool and further education unit.It was all financed under the PPF.
As the SNP administration no longer agree with this type of finance there will be no more so how are Aviemore getting theirs financed i wonder?:confused

Something will be done to balance the books,its just what.:eek: