PDA

View Full Version : Masses of birds

_Ju_
26-Jan-06, 19:07
I was driving from Castletown to Wick at sunset when I saw an amazing flock of thousands of birds flying in unison ( Just afterBower,but before the O'Groats turn off). From far away the looked like a cloud under the influence of a demon wind. Close up, to see them fly together, twisting, turning dipping...it was amazing. Then they divided into smaller groups and bunched up so closely it looked like a solid black mass just hanging in the middle of the sky. It would be worth keeping your eye out the next few days to see this: it was a show and I wasn't the only person pulled over to watch it.
I couldn't make out what they were.... they were very agile fliers and bigger than sparrows, but just could make them out.I was thinking maybe starlings?? Does anyone know? ( Sorry, but I'm ignorant of local bird life and behaviour).

Rheghead
26-Jan-06, 19:09
They were probably starlings.

Sorry, but I'm ignorant of local bird life and behaviour

You can join a beginners birdwatching class at Thurso college on Thursday nights. It starts in February.

Cocoa
26-Jan-06, 19:09
sounds amazin ju...will keep an eye out for them :eek:

_Ju_
26-Jan-06, 19:13
They were probably starlings.

You can join a beginners birdwatching class at Thurso college on Thursday nights. It starts in February.

I'd love to, but I got me a lil guy, just three going on four and not patient enough to go to birdwatching classses....buuuuaaaaaaaa

unicorn
26-Jan-06, 19:35
Starlings look amazing at dusk.

gleeber
26-Jan-06, 19:53
We used to call it a birds wedding when we were young. I agree and it was probably starlings. Amazing sight.

badger
26-Jan-06, 20:00
We saw them a few times last year from Bower - they appeared to be near Dunnet and I didn't know what it was first time. Thought it was some weird cloud and then realised it must be birds. It is an amazing sight.

cezzy1234
26-Jan-06, 21:09
hi i live in casletown by the baech and every night about 7 o clock they swom in there hundreds the hole sky is just coverd with them it makes me think of that tv program called the crow