PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Thread

emszxr
25-Nov-08, 15:35
i thought we would start a thread about our preperations for this christmas, as im sure there are a few as myself that really enjoy christmas, so thought we could share our ideas and may be get some ideas from others.

i have done all my present shopping . have cut way down this year.
the kids i only spent £20 on each, and they 1 main present each, 2 small presents and 3 little stocking fillers for that. have bought for 9 other people as well and managed to do all them for £45.
going to make some christmas sweets for some as well. have already been buying some of the ingredients in my usual weekly shop. have also bought most of my alcohol and biscuits/chocs for visitors. i find buying something each week along with the usual shop is a lot easier than buying everything 2 days before xmas day.

as for the meal, i will make soup and i am thinking a trout pate for starter. main will be some venison i think, and so far no idea for pud. will just be the 4 of us this year. will invite family round for a day on boxing day.

so what has everyone else got planned for the special day.

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 15:56
This year it will be me, Mrs Rod and the 3 little rods. We've bought all the kids presents oldest 2 are getting 1 main present, but we're also wrapping up an argos book and putting £50 inside it. That way they can buy what they want and wont know what the present is!!!

For Dinner, it will be Tattie soup followed by Roast Shoulder of Lamb with all the trimmings. And because I am lazy and the kids love it,a Vienetta for pud.

Will have a cooked breakfast in the morn and have Dinner between 3 and 4.
After dinner, will have a wee kip and then its Time for my friend Pierre to make an appearance! ;)

anneoctober
25-Nov-08, 16:06
I'm after advice............. what do I get a 5 year old grandaughter who is fed up of being a girl and wants to be a boy like her brother? :eek:
This could only happen in my family............:lol:

emszxr
25-Nov-08, 16:13
anne. does she have any computer consoles that you could buy a game for. i have 2 girls so not up to date with all the boys toys. but im sure argos is a good start.

Kodiak
25-Nov-08, 16:15
I'm after advice............. what do I get a 5 year old grandaughter who is fed up of being a girl and wants to be a boy like her brother? :eek:
This could only happen in my family............:lol:

I would suggest anything to do with Art, Colouring Pencils, Pens, Paint, Brushes and of course Sketch and Paint Pads. Most 5 year olds love to draw and paint whether they be a boy or a girl. Then there is always a Teddy Bear as you are never too old for a Teddy Bear !!:Razz

anneoctober
25-Nov-08, 16:16
anne. does she have any computer consoles that you could buy a game for. i have 2 girls so not up to date with all the boys toys. but im sure argos is a good start.
She's "into" WWE - wrestling and is going to marry one of the wrestlers when she's old enough..............:eek: Will ponder that idea though wifie, will ask mummy. :D

Dorrie
25-Nov-08, 16:41
I think the Argos idea is very good, especially just now as the £50 will probably be worth a good bit more in the sales after Christmas!

muffin
25-Nov-08, 17:11
When I was a little girl I wanted a microscope and a meccano set, what did I get? dolls and a dolls pram, so when I had 2 boys I bought them a microscope and a meccano set, they spent hours making weapons to fight each other with the meccano set, they were very enterprising, and used to find dead flies and things to look at under the microscope, such simple pleasures compared to todays toys.

kitty kat
25-Nov-08, 17:12
i thought we would start a thread about our preperations for this christmas, as im sure there are a few as myself that really enjoy christmas, so thought we could share our ideas and may be get some ideas from others.

i have done all my present shopping . have cut way down this year.
the kids i only spent £20 on each, and they 1 main present each, 2 small presents and 3 little stocking fillers for that. have bought for 9 other people as well and managed to do all them for £45.
going to make some christmas sweets for some as well. have already been buying some of the ingredients in my usual weekly shop. have also bought most of my alcohol and biscuits/chocs for visitors. i find buying something each week along with the usual shop is a lot easier than buying everything 2 days before xmas day.

as for the meal, i will make soup and i am thinking a trout pate for starter. main will be some venison i think, and so far no idea for pud. will just be the 4 of us this year. will invite family round for a day on boxing day.

so what has everyone else got planned for the special day.

can i come to yours lol[lol]

you are so organised i have started buying bits and bobs here and there with the weekly shop but i also have my daughters birthday on ther 21st of december :confused

extra costly

carasmam
25-Nov-08, 17:38
When I was a little girl I wanted a microscope and a meccano set, what did I get? dolls and a dolls pram, so when I had 2 boys I bought them a microscope and a meccano set, they spent hours making weapons to fight each other with the meccano set, they were very enterprising, and used to find dead flies and things to look at under the microscope, such simple pleasures compared to todays toys.

I always wanted meccano and a chemistry set but never got them :( I hated dolls, but loved my cuddly toys. Maybe when my lassie is a bit older I'll relive my childhood and get her boys toys :lol:

*Martin*
28-Nov-08, 13:50
She's "into" WWE - wrestling and is going to marry one of the wrestlers when she's old enough..............:eek: Will ponder that idea though wifie, will ask mummy. :D

She's quite right!!!! My daughters love playing wrestling (the oldest - now 8 used to watch it with me when she was cool - now it's all discos and the B word) How about getting her one of those replica wrestling belts (granted it says ages 8 and over) www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3872527/Trail/searchtext%3EWWE+BELT.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3872527/Trail/searchtext%3EWWE+BELT.htm)

That way she can be the champ!

*Edit*
The mrs is actually pretty sorted this year (first time ever) She's got nearly all the presents, only a couple to get and we're done. I think I'm going to start the wrapping in a couple of weeks when she takes the oldest to the panto. (That way I can put an end to her stupid "Lets wrap everything on Christmas EVE, I don't care if you have to stay awake till 4am" tradition)

Our Christmas will involve....getting up at a god forsaken hour. Letting the two off them argue over who's opening what 1st (Emily is 2 and will probably win) Round to my dads so they can see him before he goes to work then out to my OH's parents where I'll stuff my face then fall asleep as usual

I love christmas!!!!

oldmarine
29-Nov-08, 04:04
Where did the year go? Are we almost looking at another Christmas?

Ricco
29-Nov-08, 09:47
Christmas???? Lordy! Is it that time already? Oh, dear - am I going to be in the dog house (now, where did that thread go?) if I don't get a list sorted.

Strange thing is... I cannot think of a single thing I want for Christmas. I would rather make a donation to the value of one present to the Seamens' Mission and take my neices up to London to see Crique de Soleil in January - they really enjoyed it last year.
As for Christmas lunch, we are thinking of a change from turkey but cannot decide what to have instead. Beef? Nice ham? Capon? Ah! The answer just walked into the garden - next door's cat! Yummm! ;)

mums angels
29-Nov-08, 13:30
Delighted to say as of yesterday bar my father in law i have finished my xmas shopping, even thou saying again this year id cut back on the kids i don't think i have :( it seems to get harder and more expensive as they get older , my eldest is 10 and not one toy on her list its all electronics ..EEK .However Hubby has made my 3 year olds main present which saved bit of money and means a whole lot more .
I'm having some proffesional photos of my youngest done by martina cross photography and they will make perfect girts for grandparents etc

Hubby gets home from Africa on Christmas eve thanks to his back to back that kindly offered to work so he could be home for our daughters first xmas so that's the best xmas pressie we could ask for :D

We always start xmas day very early (hubby can't sleep)lol we open all the pressies have a cooked breakfast chill out for few hours before prepping for the dinner that will be about 3-4pm ... still don't know how many i'm cooking for it will be either 5 adults and 4 children or 8 adults and four children .

Kodiak
29-Nov-08, 14:00
All you organised people going around buing Christmas Presents and it is not even December yet. I have not bought a thing as of yet and I have intention to even start for at least another two weeks.

I like and enjoy Christmas Shopping, but only when it is at Christmas time not weeks before hand. In my opinion shopping for Christmas Presents too far in advance just makes it feel like just an ordinary shop, for say a Birthday Present.

So for me I like Christmas Shopping to be Special and that means Shopping in the last two weeks. There is nothing like Shopping at Christmas time to put yourself in the Christmas Spirit.

On Saying that I wish you all enjoy your Christmas Shopping whenever you do it and if you have already finished, then I hope you had a great time as well. :D

Julia
29-Nov-08, 14:47
snip>i have done all my present shopping . have cut way down this year.

I like your ideas, much more realistic than throwing hundreds of pounds on kids who don't appreciate it and who will never learn the value of money or the real reason for Christmas, a gift should be from the heart and NOT the pocket.

We've bought all the kids presents oldest 2 are getting 1 main present, but we're also wrapping up an argos book and putting £50 inside it. That way they can buy what they want and wont know what the present is!!!

What an excellent idea for an older one who is impossible to buy for, £50 will go so much further in the sales too!

I don't go banana on my kids, my youngest will be two next week and he has no idea about the cost of things so he is getting a toy garage and some trucks. My eldest has a collection of smaller gifts including one that would have cost £50 from argos but I managed to get it on ebay for £12.

emszxr
29-Nov-08, 16:44
All you organised people going around buing Christmas Presents and it is not even December yet. I have not bought a thing as of yet and I have intention to even start for at least another two weeks.

I like and enjoy Christmas Shopping, but only when it is at Christmas time not weeks before hand. In my opinion shopping for Christmas Presents too far in advance just makes it feel like just an ordinary shop, for say a Birthday Present.

So for me I like Christmas Shopping to be Special and that means Shopping in the last two weeks. There is nothing like Shopping at Christmas time to put yourself in the Christmas Spirit.

On Saying that I wish you all enjoy your Christmas Shopping whenever you do it and if you have already finished, then I hope you had a great time as well. :D

there is no way i could do xmas shopping in december. i dont mind having a wander round the shops taking in the spirit in dec but to stand in q's and fight round the aisles with every other shopper is hell in my mind.
i once went to go shopping in november a few years ago in inverness and got half way up eastgate and about turned and went to the pub for the rest of the day.

lady penelope
29-Nov-08, 17:55
I've gone all ba-humbug this year.

Have been unwell and unable to do much, so money and vouchers are this years pressies( if I can afford it!;))

I need to find some Christmas Spirit or some angel dust.
[lol]

Ash
03-Dec-08, 16:48
my wee girl loves this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RYw3ue5vIuM&feature=related:D

oldmarine
04-Dec-08, 01:31
my wee girl loves this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RYw3ue5vIuM&feature=related:D

So did this 83 year old kid. Thank you.

A9RUNNER
04-Dec-08, 05:18
I will be starting my shopping tomorow, Bit late this year but Argos is in wick now so I dont need to go to inverness anymore!!

northener
04-Dec-08, 10:04
Mr N's family are in Shetland, Mrs N's family are in Yorkshire...and we've got no kids.

El Cheapo Christmas...hooray!:Razz

oldmarine
05-Dec-08, 01:15
Mr N's family are in Shetland, Mrs N's family are in Yorkshire...and we've got no kids.

El Cheapo Christmas...hooray!:Razz

Northerner: looks like you should have it made with no kids for an El Cheapo Christmas. However, I will enjoy having my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren around me for Christmas. One of my daughters solved the gift exchange problem by having a drawing where each one buys one gift for the name that was drawn. That is also an El Cheapo Christmas and I still have my family around me. It also enables each family to have their own Christmas get-together.