PDA

View Full Version : houses at broadhaven

LRM
25-Nov-08, 12:50
M.M. Millers have put in another application for planning permission for more houses at broadhaven. They are supposed to put in a play area according to the local plan and again have not done so. Instead they are offering money towards the hillhead park, which is lovely but we still really need a safe area for the kids around port dunbar, lindsay drive, proudfoot road,etc. There are lots of kids in this area that deserve a park, and 2 previous areas that were supposed to be set aside were sold privately and not developed into playparks.You can write to the planning department to show your support, thanks

octane
25-Nov-08, 13:33
its all about lining the pockets pal you should know that. I dont think he gives a flying fox about playparks as this doesnt generate money. But he'll use the playpark development card so he can sell houses around the supposed area's.

TBH
25-Nov-08, 13:38
its all about lining the pockets pal you should know that. I dont think he gives a flying fox about playparks as this doesnt generate money. But he'll use the playpark development card so he can sell houses around the supposed area's.Business is about lining the pockets. Not much chance of building a playpark when the land could be used as the site for a couple of houses.

anneoctober
25-Nov-08, 13:47
M.M. Millers have put in another application for planning permission for more houses at broadhaven. They are supposed to put in a play area according to the local plan and again have not done so. Instead they are offering money towards the hillhead park, which is lovely but we still really need a safe area for the kids around port dunbar, lindsay drive, proudfoot road,etc. There are lots of kids in this area that deserve a park, and 2 previous areas that were supposed to be set aside were sold privately and not developed into playparks.You can write to the planning department to show your support, thanks
Why are the council not enforcing this play area if it has been submitted as part of the plans and subsequently given approval to go ahead? I would have thought that such a facility would have sold more houses to folk with families..........:confused

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 14:02
They could have sold the land to ASDA then Wick could have a new store!!;)
On a more serious note, surely Our Councillors would not allow this to happen, an agreement is an agreement isnt it? Or will they back peddle and use the "Jobs" card. Not much point in building houses if people cant afford to buy them. [evil]

TBH
25-Nov-08, 14:19
I suppose we should all be in possession of the facts before making comments.
Why were the plans not followed through, perhaps someone knows the answers.

burstbucker
25-Nov-08, 15:05
What's the point of having a playpark when no one is going to fund the equipment. Who is going to maintain the area, it won't be Highland Council?

lynne duncan
25-Nov-08, 15:57
According to the Local plan 2002 this development should include a playarea or a kick about area, however when M.M.Miller last submitted the plans for outline planning permission (earlier this year Sept if i remember correctly) there was no area set aside for a play area.
We asked planning in writing if this was allowed and if it wasn't then we asked that a complaint be accepted as a breach of the local plan
The outline planning was withdrawn by M.M.Miller for whatever reason
Now the outline planning has been resubmitted, we were hoping that this would include a playarea however, it appears to be the same plans as before.

It would be a shame if there is no playarea allocated at all for this development, if a head count is done for the previous development adjacent to this site, where no playarea was created there are in excess of 40 children who have access to no public facitilities, not taking into consideration any of the children from the proudfoot road area back towards scalesburn.

In this day and age when we are constantly being reminded by the government to encourage our children to be more active - it would be nice to have an area here that these kids could use safely

there is an unofficial rumour that money is being offered to do up the Hillhead playarea, which would be fantastic as the Hillhead playarea - very much requires to be brought up to a desirable state. I know the children there were disgusted when the council removed the small square play equipment and left a muddy hole for them. And the large playarea requires to be filled in then maybe there wouldn't be rats there when it floods.
(Also if there is development behind the Hillhead School maybe the developers there could allow part of their land there to be added to the Hillhead area to increase the amount of space available for the kids)

so yes - I'll put my hand up and ask the community council to kindly accept any money that is being offered to help go towards renovating the Hillhead playarea.

However I also would still expect a playarea to be created in the Broadhaven East development to create an area for these children to use.
Given the proximity to the sea and the salt enviroment the developers could be creative, put in low maintenace equipment, not items which would rust after the first winter. Allow the children a tarred area for football, so that no maintenance of grass is required.

Even Picnic benches this development borders one of the best walks that this town has to offer, people are constantly looking for things to do in the summer and the North Head Path is extremely well used -this could become a stop off place for families to entertain their children
I know in the current financial times that we do not wish for the developers to lose any business, but this could be used to encourage families to move to this area - so instead of ignoring it use it as a focal point - challenge the minds of your planners to create something that will be enjoyed by the locals

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 16:04
According to the Local plan 2002 this development should include a playarea or a kick about area, however when M.M.Miller last submitted the plans for outline planning permission (earlier this year Sept if i remember correctly) there was no area set aside for a play area.
We asked planning in writing if this was allowed and if it wasn't then we asked that a complaint be accepted as a breach of the local plan
Now the outline planning has been resubmitted, we were hoping that this would include a playarea however, it appears to be the same plans as before.

It would be a shame if there is no playarea allocated at all for this development, if a head count is done for the previous development adjacent to this site, where no playarea was created there are in excess of 40 children who have access to no public facitilities, not taking into consideration any of the children from the proudfoot road area back towards scalesburn.

In this day and age when we are constantly being reminded by the government to encourage our children to be more active - it would be nice to have an area here that these kids could use safely

there is an unofficial rumour that money is being offered to do up the Hillhead playarea, which would be fantastic as the Hillhead playarea - very much requires to be brought up to a desirable state. I know the children there were disgusted when the council removed the small square play equipment and left a muddy hole for them. And the large playarea requires to be filled in then maybe there wouldn't be rats there when it floods.
(Also if there is development behind the Hillhead School maybe the developers there could allow part of their land there to be added to the Hillhead area to increase the amount of space available for the kids)

so yes - I'll put my hand up and ask the community council to kindly accept any money that is being offered to help go towards renovating the Hillhead playarea.

However I also would still expect a playarea to be created in the Broadhaven East development to create an area for these children to use.
Given the proximity to the sea and the salt enviroment the developers could be creative, put in low maintenace equipment, not items which would rust after the first winter. Allow the children a tarred area for football, so that no maintenance of grass is required.

Even Picnic benches this development borders one of the best walks that this town has to offer, people are constantly looking for things to do in the summer and the North Head Path is extremely well used -this could become a stop off place for families to entertain their children
I know in the current financial times that we do not wish for the developers to lose any business, but this could be used to encourage families to move to this area - so instead of ignoring it use it as a focal point - challenge the minds of your planners to create something that will be enjoyed by the locals

Very well balanced and put across, good luck.

Amy-Winehouse
25-Nov-08, 20:54

Good post Lynn, weel said.

On another point, is there not a plot of vacant land in Lindsay Place that was never developed ?? Im sure that could have had some climbing frames & swings thrown in there no problem.

As for Hillhead park!!!:eek: There is nothing of note there, when I was a youngster , it was a good park to go to with swings, slide, climbing frames, & we had plenty to do whereas now- Green Road is the closest & thats a LONG walk for the kids at Broadhaven, even Lindsay Drive.

Im not going to berate M.M.Miller as they provide many jobs to the town but I will say that the planners should take a long hard look at themselves

pat
25-Nov-08, 21:13
Well said Lynne Duncan - hope they enforce the play area as part of the planning.

Best wishes with the Planning Department and Councillors.

Aussiewicker
25-Nov-08, 21:20
A good residential development should always include a certain percentage of greenspace and leisure area for the wellbeing of the inhabitants: In fact it should be a stipulation on the planners to include it.

Although it may reduce the sellable landspace, and cost the developer to do so, it should be looked at as a feature and benefit to the development, and so actually increase the selling price of the ground given to building.

Council should refuse any proposal that does not include such public spaces, or areas that are 'token' and insufficient. Look to other areas (mostly overseas) that base all residential developments around living spaces.... After all, these developments are for real people to live in, enjoy, and call home. We have a long way to go here.

LRM
25-Nov-08, 22:26
[QUOTE=Amy-Winehouse;463163]Good post Lynn, weel said.

On another point, is there not a plot of vacant land in Lindsay Place that was never developed ?? Im sure that could have had some climbing frames & swings thrown in there no problem.

this was one of the areas that were supposed to be set aside but was sold privately to one of the nearby homeowners

lynne duncan
26-Nov-08, 11:50
the plot of land at lindsay drive, was also very small, a decent size of land should be left at the new development to take into account the amount of kids who would use it