PDA

View Full Version : banardos advert

balto
25-Nov-08, 11:43
Did anyone see the new banardos advert last night, i know these ads are supposed to be hard hitting but i was so shocked by it, it bothered me all night, to think how awful some people treat their kids.

MadPict
25-Nov-08, 11:52
Guess that was the aim - make people think about the problem. By the end I was flinching each time the girl was smacked on the head...

balto
25-Nov-08, 12:01
Guess that was the aim - make people think about the problem. By the end I was flinching each time the girl was smacked on the head...
aye thats the bit the got me, when she kept getting smacked around the head.

starry
25-Nov-08, 12:06
I work in this field and am not often affected by media stories or adverts, I tend to be hardened to it, but this one got to me.

Sad thing is that is life for so many kids.

YummyMummy
25-Nov-08, 12:09
This is the first time I have ever saw a public attempt to link problems with young people and child abuse. Brilliant. Well done Barnardos!

Maybe it'll hit home to a lot of people that abusing children and young people has devastating and long term effects into teenage years and adulthood and maybe that is why we have a problem with unrully teenagers, drug and alcohol abuse and jam-packed prisons.

MadPict
25-Nov-08, 12:10
It did demonstrate the vicious circle effectively by speeding up the series of events at the end almost to the point of self destruction.

I wonder how long before it is withdrawn because it is felt by a few to be too graphic?

balto
25-Nov-08, 12:16
it was graphic, but at least this way it will get the message across of how these kids suffer.

anneoctober
25-Nov-08, 13:43
It did demonstrate the vicious circle effectively by speeding up the series of events at the end almost to the point of self destruction.

I wonder how long before it is withdrawn because it is felt by a few to be too graphic?
I saw this advert for the first time last night. Graphic, shocking ,horrific and it certainly focused my mind. It was very disturbing to watch and I was in tears, but how much more have these kids suffered? I think we can all be brave enough to watch, if this is the kind of both physical & mental abuse some kids are going through.:~(

Bad Manners
25-Nov-08, 18:54
Full praise to Bernardo's for have the courage to make the advert hopefully it will do what they intended to raise everyones awareness.
This is not a gimic it happens in real life and so many people dont notice.
Everyone is so busy that they do notice the small things that one their own dont amount to much but when you add them all together and repeat it time and time again it does have an effect.
Children have things harder than I did there are so many thigs they have to thing about. from bullying to increased pressure to do well to fit in and to be self suficent.
please give them a childhood for all to soon it will be over and they will have all the stress and worries that we all do.

sweetpea
25-Nov-08, 18:59
I was really impressed with the ad and having had dealings with Barnardos it didn't surprise me that it was their ad, I have always found their campaigns to be pretty upfront and some of the reasearch they do is interesting reading.
I was also quite conscious of the scene where she is asked to read in class and squirms because she can't and how this links to the abuse, feelings of worthlessness and then taking drugs. I wonder if they meant to highlight literacy.

igglepiggle
25-Nov-08, 22:13
i thought it was a bit to much, i know they are trying to get people to see what can happen, but i thought it was very powerful and nearly brought me to tears:~(

squidge
26-Nov-08, 13:19
Barnardos are also running a campaign about stopping the demonisation of children. It shows children beibng hunted down. You can find it on You tube if you want to watch it. It uses comments posted on message boards - i think belonging to national newspapers - real comments made by people like us, tapping away on our keyboards and takes these comments to a possible conclusion.

Both these adverts make really interesting viewing.

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 15:07
Adverts like this are meant to make you think but do they honestly think they're going to change the behaviour of the parents who react with a slap.:(

This type of behaviour has been learnt through their own upbringing,in many cases.

Hopefully Parent Craft classes can stop this vicious cylcle of "upbringing":)