PDA

View Full Version : Not Eating

Anne x
24-Nov-08, 23:32
Up to ninety nine tonight my 8 yr old Cocker Spaniel bitch contacted 2 weeks ago cystitus (Spayed young ) 2 weeks of Antibiotic not eating a morsel and has lost loads of weight drinking a lot though tonight the vet said we must do blood tests and get the results tmr looking for something more sinister for the past week she has eaten silch no biscuits treats refused the lot worried Mum

Liz
25-Nov-08, 00:01
Thinking of you and hoping that the Vets will be able to help Gabby.

It is so awful when our beloved pets are unwell.:~(

goldenguernsey
25-Nov-08, 01:49
drinking a lot looks like an infection is present, maybe you need a specific anti biotic to combat the infection

goldenguernsey
25-Nov-08, 01:54
maybe an appetite stimulant could help? I had a goat once that scoured for 2 weeks and never ate a bite, she was on a drip for fluids and we were drenching her every 4 hours with energy products and rumen stimulents. She was literally like a hat rack, a bag of bones but when our vet diagnosed the bacteria responsible and the treatment needed it was like a miracle, she never looked back. She went on to win at the Breed show down at Newark ( Notts) milking like nothing had ever been wrong. Horses for courses as they say.

Fran
25-Nov-08, 02:26
sorry to hear about your dog anne. I aM WORRIED ABOUT MINE TOO, HE IS 8, AND HAS GOT VERY THIN AND THIS is THE SECOND DAY he haS NOT EATEN but he drinks a lot. Tonight I was eating chicken and i gave him a piece and he ate it so i gave him the lot. He enjoys his outings, but the rest of the time he lies on my bed. i was wondering if he was pining again, but after reading your post, i think i will phone the vet for an appointment tomorrow. I wouldnt even go out of the house today, i couldn't leave him.

binbob
25-Nov-08, 10:39
Up to ninety nine tonight my 8 yr old Cocker Spaniel bitch contacted 2 weeks ago cystitus (Spayed young ) 2 weeks of Antibiotic not eating a morsel and has lost loads of weight drinking a lot though tonight the vet said we must do blood tests and get the results tmr looking for something more sinister for the past week she has eaten silch no biscuits treats refused the lot worried Mum

anne..i have pm d u again.....i am out this morning but here all afternoon.best wishes to u and gabby.x

cuddlepop
25-Nov-08, 13:05
It maybe that she's picked up something poisonous and her body is trying to flush it by drinking loads of water.

I'm only guessing though so fingers crossed the vet gets to the bottom of this soon:)

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
25-Nov-08, 21:35
Hi , hope results are all good for Gabby from the vet, very worrying when our animals are unwell.

Anne x
25-Nov-08, 23:28
Hi All
thanks so much for all your pms some of you by now know the prognosis and thank you to all who contributed

It is the Kidneys the vet is not sure yet if it is failure or Infection at this point more tests to be done over next 24 hrs to see if she can be treated
most important fresh urine sample now how am I gonna do that ?
If still not eaten by 48hrs she is going on a IV she has continued to loose weight
She is home with me right now and sleeping at my feet
Anne

helenwyler
26-Nov-08, 00:03
So sorry to hear Gabby's so unwell, Anne :(.

I hope she has a peaceful night, and that the vet will be able to help her over the next few days.

Best wishes to you and Gabby. xx

Anne x
04-Dec-08, 00:24
Well tonight got the dreaded results she has Kidney damage she is going in on Friday to Vets to have another blood test to find out extent of damage but we have already been told change of Diet and Medication for the rest of her life
Sad thing is she has perked up and started eating
thank you so much for all pms and messages really grateful

arana negra
04-Dec-08, 10:53
I am so sorry to read your news, I hope the vet can help with recovery and that all goes aswell as can be expected. I know how you must be feeling, our lovely wee rescue dog is half way through a course of inter muscluar injections ( which make her squeal) and the blood test results will be in tonight when we go.

carasmam
04-Dec-08, 16:30
Glad she's perked up a bit. Did you have her insured? Hope the meds aren't too expensive if not and that she is back to her old self again soon :)

Anne x
06-Dec-08, 01:46
Glad she's perked up a bit. Did you have her insured? Hope the meds aren't too expensive if not and that she is back to her old self again soon :)

Yes we have Her Insured with a excess of £150 but as the vets bill has now ran to £500 not a problem we have a cut out point of 6k from the Insurers after that we will be on our own as no company will insure her

Anyhow got the results today of blood test and she has shown a improvement kidneys functioning at 70% thank goodness as this morning it looked pretty grim she had a high temp and needed a jab never ate and not drinking either and was very lethargic I was up until 3 am with her last night very poorly

From tomorrow she will be on lifetime medication and a special diet the vet is going to give me a recipe to cook myself until she speaks to the Nutrionalist on Monday lord knows how that will work with special diet but will try anything

carasmam
06-Dec-08, 03:21
It's such a worry isn't it. Sending loads of healing light your way x

cuddlepop
06-Dec-08, 10:15
Yes we have Her Insured with a excess of £150 but as the vets bill has now ran to £500 not a problem we have a cut out point of 6k from the Insurers after that we will be on our own as no company will insure her

Anyhow got the results today of blood test and she has shown a improvement kidneys functioning at 70% thank goodness as this morning it looked pretty grim she had a high temp and needed a jab never ate and not drinking either and was very lethargic I was up until 3 am with her last night very poorly

From tomorrow she will be on lifetime medication and a special diet the vet is going to give me a recipe to cook myself until she speaks to the Nutrionalist on Monday lord knows how that will work with special diet but will try anything

Oh the poor wee dog but i'm sure with your dedication and love it will get better.:D

Liz
06-Dec-08, 13:32
Oh poor Gabby but it is good that there is an improvement and with her medication and diet she should improve even more.

Poor you as well as you must be exhausted!

Sending love and healing light to both of you. xxx

Anne x
09-Dec-08, 14:17
Well made up the Vets recipe and she ate it and drank well also managed to get her medication into her since Sat now the vet has rung to say the Nutritionist has suggested a dry food diet long term seems a bit odd to me as she wont even eat a biscuit so goodness knows how Im gonna get on with this next step
thanks for your wishes and pms
Anne

anneoctober
09-Dec-08, 14:32
Well made up the Vets recipe and she ate it and drank well also managed to get her medication into her since Sat now the vet has rung to say the Nutritionist has suggested a dry food diet long term seems a bit odd to me as she wont even eat a biscuit so goodness knows how Im gonna get on with this next step
thanks for your wishes and pms
Anne
Hang in there wifie, Gabby needs her mum . Anne xxxx ;)

dragonfly
09-Dec-08, 14:33
oh Anne ..........just caught up with this, poor Gabby and poor you, know how devastating this will be for you. Hope she makes the best recovery she can, fingers crossed for you both xxxxx

teenybash
09-Dec-08, 15:33
still catching up after being without internet connection for the past few weeks.
So very sorry to hear about your Gabby..............Kidney problems can lead to sore gums and this might be why Gabby does not want to eat anything hard....it will hurt her mouth. Maybe the nutritonist hasn't taken this into consideration. Doggys with kidney problems can benefit from a diet low in phospherous..............I am sure if you google you will find info on softer foods that will be easier for her to eat. I check her mouth encase her gums are inflamed and if so ask the vet what to do.
Hope Gabby gets well real soon.:(

Anne x
09-Dec-08, 15:37
Hi
yes thanks got gums and teeth checked Its Hill prescription food Egg & Rice and just put down her first lot so time will tell if she eats it the medication she is on is Alucap 3 times a day

Liz
09-Dec-08, 18:17
Anne if you find that Gabby doesn't like the biscuits then Denes have some canned foods which are suitable http://www.denes.co.uk/advice/fact_sheets/kidney_problems.php

Really, really hope that her medication works a treat and she will soon be well again.:D

cuddlepop
09-Dec-08, 19:11
Hopefully things will improve now and your wee pall will be tucking into Roast Turkey and all the trimmings by Christmas day.:D

Fran
10-Dec-08, 02:50
So pleased Gabby is drinking and eating, so she is improving. i had an old cat years ago who had kidney problems and lived many years.
My dog is fine now, he must have had a couple of "off" days, and is eating well again. He is probably a bit thin as he does a lot of exercise.
do let us know how gabby gets on.

ciderally
10-Dec-08, 11:59
just caught up on this ...lots of hugs sent to gabbi and anne ....and hope both feel better soon xxxxx

Anne x
12-Dec-08, 01:24
Just got told tonight that Gabby has got Renal failure but with change of diet and medication etc she has perked up and is eating and Drinking and is in no pain well as far as the vet can say we are totally devastated as you can imagine

Liz
12-Dec-08, 13:46
Just got told tonight that Gabby has got Renal failure but with change of diet and medication etc she has perked up and is eating and Drinking and is in no pain well as far as the vet can say we are totally devastated as you can imagine

So sorry Anne but it is good that she is responding to her treatment. You would know yourself whether she was in any pain.

I hope with all my heart that she continues to improve. xxx

cuddlepop
12-Dec-08, 14:51

at least you now know whats wrong with Gabby and hopefully with the correct diet and medication she can have a reasonable quality of life.
Like Liz said ,you'd know if she was in pain.

Anne x
15-Jan-09, 14:01
Gabby was hospitalised last night she is on a drip and responding but her blood tests results from last night were not very good the vet has just rang and they are keeping her in tonight again the drip is flushing out her kidneys and also giving her drugs to combat infections she is not eating very well either so the next 24 hrs will tell having said all of that the vet said she is very alert

teenybash
15-Jan-09, 14:59
got fingers crossed for Gabby that she gets over this dip......sounds as if the vet is doing a thorough job for her. Keep hopes high...........

carasmam
15-Jan-09, 15:24
Fingers and paws crossed here too, sending healing light to get her over this setback xx

Margaret M.
15-Jan-09, 16:02
Ann, I am so sorry to hear about Gabby, I hope flushing the kidneys will make a difference.

cuddlepop
15-Jan-09, 17:13
Gabby was hospitalised last night she is on a drip and responding but her blood tests results from last night were not very good the vet has just rang and they are keeping her in tonight again the drip is flushing out her kidneys and also giving her drugs to combat infections she is not eating very well either so the next 24 hrs will tell having said all of that the vet said she is very alert

All we can do now is hope and pray the kidney flushing works.
As Gabby appears bright and alert she's not ready to give up and niether are we.

All of us are here for you and Gabby.:D

binbob
15-Jan-09, 18:21
sorry to hear this,but hopefully she will soon be back at home.hugs from all of us here xx

Anne x
16-Jan-09, 01:04
thank you all for your messages No updates yet apart from the fact she is very Perky will just have to wait and see what tomorrows blood tests show and where to go from that

Anne x
17-Jan-09, 01:11
Gabby is being Kept in over the weekend Her bloods and Kidney function results are good and she is very alert but every time she eats she is violently sick they have now tried several different foods and the same result goodness knows what the end result of this episode is gonna be
but we will hope

but in answer to another thread which at mo I cannot enter in to(As cannot be bothered ) Gabby thank god has Insurance but her bill is now standing at £1k plus had this happened god forbid when I was a single parent I could simply not of afforded this treatment

thoughts with Dragonfly Brodie, Gabby tonight

dragonfly
18-Jan-09, 09:39
oh Anne if only you were still in Thurso we could cry on each others shoulders :~( but if you are anything like me you'll be all cried out.

I hope that Gabby will be on the mend soon and will keep you in my thoughts

xxx

Venture
18-Jan-09, 14:42
Anne I've only just caught up with this thread. How awful for you. I hope things are better with Gabby. I'm thinking of you.

dragonfly
18-Jan-09, 20:27
Anne not seen you on all day, hope all's ok :(

Anne x
19-Jan-09, 11:00
Anne not seen you on all day, hope all's ok :(

She is still in the hospital having said that the news yesterday was that her bloods are good had only been sick once and had managed to remove her drip overnight by herself the vet could not believe it anyhow her own vet is assessing her today to see if she can come home she has 2 new lots of medication long term will update later with whats happening I really must get a claim form from our Insurers to claim to date as I havent done that yet your story Dragonfly is just so awful

dragonfly
19-Jan-09, 11:10
what great news, hopefully she will go from strength to strength now.

Brodie is good just now as long as he can be kept stable we'll be fine :) - just have to watch carefully for any change in his behaviour and get him to the vet asap!!

As for the insurance I have gone throught their "policy wording" with a fine tooth comb this morning and they have it covered pretty well - basically they will exclude any illness that first showing "clinical signs no matter where in the body" before the policy start date and they have also got us on "any behavioural problem, mental or emotional disorder" - part of Brodies condition is neurological and he displayed both mental and emotional disorders!! [evil]

Makes you wonder whats the point in taking out insurance especially in a life or death case like Brodies as his life is severally at risk just now :~(

Anne x
19-Jan-09, 11:23
I know Im beginning to wonder now as Gabbs is terminally ill have just downloaded claim form vet said just to give it to them to fill in is as they have every visit medication and treatment on file time will tell as to hospital costs since Wed not a clue until we pay today well hopefully it will be today

So glad Brodie is stable

binbob
19-Jan-09, 11:24
She is still in the hospital having said that the news yesterday was that her bloods are good had only been sick once and had managed to remove her drip overnight by herself the vet could not believe it anyhow her own vet is assessing her today to see if she can come home she has 2 new lots of medication long term will update later with whats happening I really must get a claim form from our Insurers to claim to date as I havent done that yet your story Dragonfly is just so awful

hope gabby will soon be lounging on her fave chair !!;)

binbob
19-Jan-09, 11:27
[quote=dragonfly;486184]what great news, hopefully she will go from strength to strength now.

Brodie is good just now as long as he can be kept stable we'll be fine :) - just have to watch carefully for any change in his behaviour and get him to the vet asap!!

As for the insurance I have gone throught their "policy wording" with a fine tooth comb this morning and they have it covered pretty well - basically they will exclude any illness that first showing "clinical signs no matter where in the body" before the policy start date and they have also got us on "any behavioural problem, mental or emotional disorder" - part of Brodies condition is neurological and he displayed both mental and emotional disorders!! [evil]

so awful ,dragonfly..my late father used to say that insurance is legalised fraud.......and i think he may have been right.
would u consider seeing a solicitor??
hope wee brodie is well and happy today.:D

Margaret M.
19-Jan-09, 16:02
Sending healing prayers for Gabby and Brodie and comforting prayers for Anne and Dragonfly.

If the insurance companies don't cover the expenses that you feel they should, be tenacious and persistent. The insurance company is accountable to some kind of regulatory authority, get their information and take it as high as you can. Over here we have the State Corporation Commission to which we can appeal the insurance company's decision. If there is something similar in Scotland use them -- it is very worthwhile to have an objective party make a ruling. They don't charge a fee so it is a better option than a solicitor. However, in your case Dragonfly, I would work my way up the chain of authority and I would absolutely consider a solicitor as a last resort. From what you have stated here, the insurance company is being totally unreasonable.

Anne x
20-Jan-09, 01:48
Well got Gabby home tonight at 5pm she has lost so much weight
Huge welcome slavering almost but it did not last had 3 lots of medication to administor and ever since been in her bed sleeping drank a bit but not a morsel of food has been eaten or has she gone outside
I have howled for Britain tonight and all tears have now dried up and really trying to be sensible
I even got her lead and tried for a walk but no avail not at all interested
So really I have no more answers for now but this is devastaing
I just wonder something was I really expecting the Hospital to do more than I could apart from Drugs to be honest yes I did
but deep down my answer is No Clutching at Straws I think
the only Positive thing right now is having just left her she is sound asleep and so peaceful

teenybash
21-Jan-09, 00:05
So sad for you and your lovely Gabby and I wish the very best miracle possible for you both...............hang in there. Thinking of you. x

arana negra
21-Jan-09, 00:11
So sorry to read your post we too have howled for hours when Scally was so low. It is just plain awful when they are ill. Will be thinking of you all, take care

Val x

purplelady
21-Jan-09, 00:17
just wondering is there any news on how gabby and brodie are doing xxxxxxxx

dragonfly
21-Jan-09, 09:38
hi purplelady, Brodie is doing fine on meds and diet, op will be on 3rd feb so keeping everything crossed for success. Thanks for asking btw :D

hoping Gabby had a good night Anne and you too.

cuddlepop
21-Jan-09, 10:02
you've done all you can for your Gabby,Anne its difficult to accept that sometimes all we can do is hope and pray.

thinking of you both.

Anne x
21-Jan-09, 13:54
well had to resort to the vet again Yesterday who was very frustrated with things as when Gabby was discharged on Monday night she was eating drinking and her bloods were good then she never ate or drank until yesterday after noon ,
when the vet suggested I braise some low fat mince put it through a sieve and add 1 tblsp to her food the vets gave us she ate it !! vet thinks she was just sounding us out for something better to eat and playing us a bit huffing really
Today she has had some more and drank getting the medication into her is a bit of a hassle but did that quite easily today
I am going to try and get her out for a walk later

thank you for all your pms I really appreciate them especially yesterday when I thought the worst
Anne

Iffy
21-Jan-09, 15:22
God Bless you Anne, Dragonfly and Teenybash and your "bairns"

Praying and hoping for you all ! Take Care XXX :o

teenybash
21-Jan-09, 17:35
Anne so happy your Gabby has turned the corner........so, so pleased your miracle has arrived and let's all hope the road ahead is smooth and shining bright. Hugs to you both...especially Gabby the little rascal.;)

Anne x
02-Feb-09, 13:23
Thought I would just update about Gabby after all your pms etc well she is eating and drinking regularily her special food chicken and rice in tins with the tblsp mince to entice her and thanks to Dragonfly I got the constipation problem sorted and is fine

Managing to get her meds into her a lot easier now she is moving around the house but still quite lethargic but good to see her on the go she loves the snow and is in and out of the dog flap today

Would like to wish all the best to Dragonfly and Brodie for operation tomorrow we are all thinking of you

Liz
02-Feb-09, 14:53
Anne I am so glad that Gabby is eating now and taking her medication.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lethargy at this stage as she probably just needs to get her strength back after being so ill.

Take care.xxx

teenybash
02-Feb-09, 15:34
Good news Gabby is getting there......time will heal now and see her back to her usual self.Thankyou for the update...it's always nice to know of the wee ones..:)

cuddlepop
02-Feb-09, 18:13
Thought I would just update about Gabby after all your pms etc well she is eating and drinking regularily her special food chicken and rice in tins with the tblsp mince to entice her and thanks to Dragonfly I got the constipation problem sorted and is fine

Managing to get her meds into her a lot easier now she is moving around the house but still quite lethargic but good to see her on the go she loves the snow and is in and out of the dog flap today

Would like to wish all the best to Dragonfly and Brodie for operation tomorrow we are all thinking of you

Glad thinks are on the up for you both.:D