PDA

View Full Version : paypal

dirtywicker
24-Nov-08, 21:57
hi does anyone know where heres a list of all the online stores that accept paypal?
thanks

Sapphire2803
24-Nov-08, 22:03
Try this

http://www.shopwithapal.co.uk/

dirtywicker
24-Nov-08, 22:05

McAllans
25-Nov-08, 19:27
Both our online stores accept Paypal.

www.mcallans.com (http://www.mcallans.com) for highland wear, kilts, and so on

and

www.maniaonline.co.uk (http://www.maniaonline.co.uk) for branded fashion (G-Star, Gio-Goi, Levis, Firetrap, K-Swiss, Vans, Fenchurch, Adidas, Carhartt, Bench, Golddigga, Nixon etc)

And we do free delivery worldwide!

theone
25-Nov-08, 21:29
Be VERY careful when using Paypal outwith ebay.

You don't have the normal buyer protection you have if the goods are faulty or don't turn up from the shop.

I know of somebody losing £500 on a laptop that never showed up and he lost the lot.

webmannie
25-Nov-08, 21:43
Be VERY careful when using Paypal outwith ebay.

You don't have the normal buyer protection you have if the goods are faulty or don't turn up from the shop.

see
https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-outside
i'd say that you have more protection

I know of somebody losing £500 on a laptop that never showed up and he lost the lot.

Crooked supplier?

theone
25-Nov-08, 22:28
Crooked supplier?

Yip, dodgy company.

If the laptop had been bought by credit card he'd have been protected by the consumer credit act.

As he paid by paypal, he wasn't.

Here's a copy of the email he got from Paypal. Fraud protection??? I think not.

Dear xxxxx,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,
and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the
account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including
member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,
we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand
our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Seller's Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller's Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller's Transaction ID: xxx

Transaction Date: 11 Sep 2008
Transaction Amount: -481.73 GBP
Invoice ID: xxxx
Your Transaction ID: xxxx
Case Number: xxxx
Buyer's Transaction ID: xxxxx

What to Do Next

This case is now closed. No further action is required by you at this time.

-------

webmannie
25-Nov-08, 22:45
Yip, dodgy company.

If the laptop had been bought by credit card he'd have been protected by the consumer credit act.

If he had associated a credit card with his paypal account then he'd have been covered.

theone
25-Nov-08, 22:51
If he had associated a credit card with his paypal account then he'd have been covered.

I'm afraid not.

He contacted the card issuer for a chargeback but was told it was not possible.

His card transaction was to add funds to his paypal account. That transaction went well and as far as the credit card company were concerned, that was that. What happened to his funds from his paypal account was paypal's problem.

Bad Manners
25-Nov-08, 23:07
Yip, dodgy company.

Here's a copy of the email he got from Paypal. Fraud protection??? I think not.

Dear xxxxx,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any
funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,
recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,
and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may
include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the
account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including
member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,
we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand
our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.

Transaction Details

Seller's Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller's Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller's Transaction ID: xxx

Transaction Date: 11 Sep 2008
Transaction Amount: -481.73 GBP
Invoice ID: xxxx
Your Transaction ID: xxxx
Case Number: xxxx
Buyer's Transaction ID: xxxxx

What to Do Next

This case is now closed. No further action is required by you at this time.

-------

We had a very similar problem we purchased £400 worth of items from a dealer and as we had never dealt with them before we paid through paypal as he did not have the facility to pay by credit card and we were not going to give him cash without seeing the items in the flesh. we purchased the items from samples he had. When the order arrived the following week the item that were sent were silver plate not 925 sterling silver as the samples. needless to say we had exactly the same result from paypal the found in our favour however the failed to retreive the funds and the case is now closed.
We will not be buying anything through paypal again.

theone
25-Nov-08, 23:47
We had a very similar problem we purchased £400 worth of items from a dealer and as we had never dealt with them before we paid through paypal as he did not have the facility to pay by credit card and we were not going to give him cash without seeing the items in the flesh. we purchased the items from samples he had. When the order arrived the following week the item that were sent were silver plate not 925 sterling silver as the samples. needless to say we had exactly the same result from paypal the found in our favour however the failed to retreive the funds and the case is now closed.
We will not be buying anything through paypal again.

I sympathise I really do.

I still use paypal for ebay purchases, only because you are secure upto £500, even if the dodgy seller empties his account.

I would never use them outside ebay though.

Tugmistress
26-Nov-08, 01:42
As far as i understand it, if botht he buyer and seller are paypal 'verified' even transactions outwith ebay are covered by paypal, i use it as a method of payment for my calendars that go outwith the county and have no problem, it's the same old story as ebay used to be, check on the sellers reputation! google is your friend ;)

theone
26-Nov-08, 03:01
As far as i understand it, if botht he buyer and seller are paypal 'verified' even transactions outwith ebay are covered by paypal, i use it as a method of payment for my calendars that go outwith the county and have no problem, it's the same old story as ebay used to be, check on the sellers reputation! google is your friend ;)

That's the way my friend, I, and Joe Public understood it.

I'm afraid it's a lie.

With ebay you can check reputation. Paypal - no.

My friend bought from a "verified" seller. In the end it meant nothing. He lost £500.

Check the copy of the email above for that.

Bad Manners
26-Nov-08, 09:00
Have to agree with THE ONE we did the same seller was verified but made not a jot of difference we still lost out. What they do is try to get your money if the seller has nothing in their paypal account but if the seller does not respond and it happens to a few other people they then consider banning the seller from paypal.
the only way open is to take the seller to the small claims court and try your luck at least you have all your proof of payment and proof that the seller recieved the funds.

jay
26-Nov-08, 11:21
Yip daughter bought "genuine GHD" hair straighteners using paypal - got cheap imitation which melted on first use - paypal no help whatsover - cash never recovered

buffy
26-Nov-08, 12:46
Yip daughter bought "genuine GHD" hair straighteners using paypal - got cheap imitation which melted on first use - paypal no help whatsover - cash never recovered

That is the EXACT same thing that happened to me.

Paypal are pathetic, They actually state that you will get your money back if the goods are 'significantly not as described' yet all I got was nothing!!

rockchick
26-Nov-08, 13:54
Paypal ONLY provides protection for Ebay purchases. That's it. No where else on the internet. It will facilitate a purchase, but does not guarantee them or provide any protection.

However, when you buy on Ebay it does what it says on the tin. We've had issues with vendors on Ebay and have managed to collect successfully through Paypal.

McAllans
26-Nov-08, 19:59
The problem with Paypal is that it is a cheap and easy way to set up payment on an online shop. This means that anyone can set up an online shop with the minimum of credit checks and expense.

At mcallans.com and maniaonline.co.uk most of our customers use credit cards or debit cards through our secure payment system (run by Protx) which is more expensive for us but obviously more reasurring for our customers.

My advice would be to use Paypal (which for some customers is much more convenient, hence why we have it as an option) only on websites that also allow direct payment by credit card / debit card. I would also look at the 'contact us' and 'about us' pages to check that they have a 'bricks and mortar' operation and are not just a two-bit business being run out of someone's bedroom.

Boss
26-Nov-08, 20:36
hi does anyone know where heres a list of all the online stores that accept paypal?
thanks

Nearly everyone uses paypal, but for myself, I refuse point blank to pay by paypal, simply, I will not be dictated to, regarding how or rather, by what means I want to pay.

jayem
26-Nov-08, 22:08
Check out Martin's money or any online money advice sites. They all state categorically that there is no protection when using paypal outside of ebay. It is safer to use a credit card - (NOT a debit card!)