PDA

View Full Version : Are dogs omnivores or carnivores?

Julia
24-Nov-08, 19:01
My pal and I are having a wee discussion at the mo about whether dogs are carnivore or omnivore, the way we see it is a dog has large canine fangs for ripping and tearing meat, dogs do not chew but crush and crunch their food.

Comparing a dog's mouth to that of a tiger or lion their teeth are very similar but I would say these wild animals are definitely carnivores.

Although my dog does eat veg does that make her an omnivore? Would she choose to eat veg in the wild over a nice big steak?

hotrod4
24-Nov-08, 19:44
I think dogs started out as Carnivores but due to Human Intervention became more omnivorous.If they were in the wild I think they would bypass the farmers field and head for the Rich pickings of the Animals in the yard.
Its the same with any pet really we as Humans have conditioned animals (and fish) to evolve the way we wnated them to as opposed to nature. Look at Tea cup dogs etc.

carasmam
24-Nov-08, 22:11
I think they are/should be carnivores, but as hotrod says humans have intervened. What about dogs that eat grass though? Do they do it because their bodies know they are lacking something that they will get from the grass *

*marijuana is harmful to dogs if ingested [lol] see here (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1937&aid=2254)

connieb19
24-Nov-08, 22:24
*marijuana is harmful to dogs if ingested [lol] see here (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1937&aid=2254)Even staffies? :confused

Julia
24-Nov-08, 23:03
I think they are/should be carnivores, but as hotrod says humans have intervened. What about dogs that eat grass though? Do they do it because their bodies know they are lacking something that they will get from the grass *

*marijuana is harmful to dogs if ingested [lol] see here (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1937&aid=2254)

One of mine eats grass now and again, and then throws it up right after, I thought it was something they ate if feeling unwell but maybe it's the grass making them sick or are they eating the grass to make themselves sick? I will need a dog whisperer to answer that question but that's a whole other thread.

Moira
24-Nov-08, 23:30
Labradors are most definitely omnivores. Anything between a piece of vegetable overshooting the chopping board in the kitchen to the varying half-eaten, discarded food between here and Tescos is fair game.

Grazing grass is ok too when it suits and it doesn't always make him sick - maybe it's the doggy version of Omeprazole?

goldenguernsey
25-Nov-08, 02:01
Don't they eat grass to induce vomiting? They know far more than we have forgotten, my dogs love carrots, crunchy, tasty and a treat judging by their reactions. Nature is hard to beat whether it's a dog a chicken or a panda. Nature is the ultimate leveller, man can try to outwit her but he has nothing even close to the mark when his efforts fall so far short of the mark.

justine
25-Nov-08, 12:12
Although my dog does eat veg does that make her an omnivore? Would she choose to eat veg in the wild over a nice big steak?[/quote]

That depends on wether your dog is big enough and fast enough to catch his steak.[lol]

carasmam
25-Nov-08, 16:24
Even staffies? :confused

Depends how much they ingest compared to their body weight I suppose (wish there was a 'shrugging' smilie)

balto
25-Nov-08, 20:50
havent got a clue what mine is, as he eats everything and anything he can find.

Liz
25-Nov-08, 21:04
havent got a clue what mine is, as he eats everything and anything he can find.

Benjy is the same!lol

Tilter
25-Nov-08, 21:21
My dog is an omnivore. She's also a poo-ivore. Cat poo, sheep poo, cow poo. Same goes for all Labrador retrievers I've ever known.

Moira
25-Nov-08, 22:55
Tilter, I think they improve or at least mature in some ways

My Lab wouldn't have anything to do with Poo nowadays. He can also tell the difference between a Co-op and a McVitie's digestive biscuit.

Have we spoiled him? Of course not. :lol:

Tilter
26-Nov-08, 22:03
Tilter, I think they improve or at least mature in some ways

My Lab wouldn't have anything to do with Poo nowadays. He can also tell the difference between a Co-op and a McVitie's digestive biscuit.

My goodness Moira, you have a very discerning lab there. My old lab girl ate poo till the day she died, age 13.

crustyroll
27-Nov-08, 18:40
My Labs are definately carnivores but then they are still walking buckets on legs...lol Although I do have one Lab that is a snob and will refuse anything thats remotely fruit or vegetable orientated.

As I raw feed my dogs and have raised litters of pups on raw, it is so easy to see that they are carnivores really. A litter of 5 week old pups do not need to be taught how to rip a skinned rabbit apart, you just have to watch your own fingers!!!! They will eat fruit, veg, rubbish, poo, cardboard, paper, in fact anything that will go in their mouth, but I believe that's because the Labrador has never lost it's scavaging instinct.

They originally came from the area of Newfoundland and this was a very, very hard life for them, as well as the people, and the majority of food would have been scraps and fish given by the owners they worked for or scavanged. If you look into the history of Newfoundlands and Labradors you will see they are related but that's another story. To them they never know where their next meal is coming from and the instinct is so strong just to fill up their stomachs in case thats it for the next few days. Makes sense really :)

Frith
28-Nov-08, 13:10
Dogs are classed as carnivores, but will happily exist on an omnivourous diet both domestically and in the wild. All felines are obligate carnivoures, as they are unable to synthesize the essential protien taurine for them selves. Going back to an earlier post the main difference between the teeth of a cat and a dog is that dogs do have true molars (flat grinding teeth) where as cats do have teeth described as molars, but they are not characteristic molars.

justine
01-Dec-08, 16:26
personally i would say dogs of all types are OPORTUNISTS more than anything. they will take what they want when they want it given the choise.