PDA

View Full Version : Survivors - anyone watch it....

percy toboggan
24-Nov-08, 19:00
...anyone watch it? what did you think?
Any fans of the original series c.1975 ?

Would like to hear constructive (or destructive) comparisons.

I enjoyed the prog, but it woznee a patch on the opening episode of the original.

hotrod4
24-Nov-08, 19:05
I liked it, it was well put together. Never seen the original so cant really compare. Only problem is the other part is on Tuesday the same time as CSi Miami!!! Blessed be for SKY+ :lol:

joxville
24-Nov-08, 19:08
I've downloaded it to iplayer so will watch it later. I was too young to remember the original series so as Hotrod said, it would be hard for people of our generation to compare the two.

Kodiak
24-Nov-08, 19:12
I remember the Original series very well. It started off well but as it went on I found it very predictive and annoying.

This new series has also started of well but I hope it does not go the original did but goes from strength to strength and gets better each episode.

Not much faith in this though and can see myself going back to CSI Miami on a Tuesday.

Gizmo
24-Nov-08, 19:36
Cheers Percy, i wasn't even aware it was a remake, i really enjoyed it, only one criticism really, i felt a few of the main characters were based on cliche'd stereotypes, the bad lad, the mumsy one and the rich hedonistic one, especially the young rich guy, his performance seemed a bit forced and fake.

percy toboggan
24-Nov-08, 20:10
I'm afraid the absurdity of the ethnic balance made me cross at the Beeb once more.
That said I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one tomorrow night.

It wasn't as good the original - which had no special effects, not even any background music. There's a bargain on Amazon at the mo. £10 for the first 13 episodes. As Kodiak says they were not all good but the first one alone is worth a tenner - 'The Fourth Horsemen' it's called. It just involved more quick character development and drew you in - though I know this was ground breaking stuff back then. On retiring to me bed last night I watched it again and it was superior in every department.

Some of the original script was retained..."Oh please God don't let me be the only one" for instance. The seventies 'Abby' was a bit posher...and the only ethnic minority was a Welshman ! Talfryn Thomas who was brilliant...memorable indeed.

Britain has changed a lot but not as much as the BBC in their p.c. crusade would have us believe. This irksome fact aside this was a promising start and I'm sorry it's not going out over 13 episodes like the first one, which gives more time to develop character and plot.(eventually there were some 39 episodes over 3 series)

The possibilities are endless but back in '75 it was easier to find supermarkets that closed on a sunday (for filming) and easier to find the odd empty road.

The 'new' strain of virus - which struck down dozens of people praying all at the same time (seemed a bit odd to me that) seems to have a very varying effect. Well one minute and dead the next or lumpy under the arms and in a coma for a few days...oh well, it's all gryst to the mill of entertainment.

I didn't like the flash Arab called Al, but the young lad in the City top will be okay once he gets over his obsession with Blackburn :)

Fluff
24-Nov-08, 20:58
I thought it was pretty good, the main thing that annoyed me was the back round music. I found it really loud at points, so I had to turn the TV down, then I could not here what they were saying! Other than that, I shall be tuning in on Tuesday!

Riffman
24-Nov-08, 22:32
It was sooo boring. Very glad I had it on the iPLayer and didn't waste my time in front of the TV.

starry
24-Nov-08, 22:59
Oh God I was almost screaming at the tv, badly written script and poorly thought out plot.

The woman who woke up after three days and found there was only enough water for a few seconds in the shower - she'd still have a tankful before it stopped running. The lack of bodies in the streets but bodies in cars. The lack of domestic pets and farm animals. The relatively close age of most of the survivors so far; the flu pandemic after WW1 killed 20-40 year olds in greater numbers than others - children and older people survived in much greater numbers, it seems odd that it would be the other way round with this illness. The lack of radio broadcasts - one of the first things I would do is monitor the airwaves with a battery radio to see if it was a local/national/global thing. Nobody seems in the least concerned to find out if other countries or even other cities have been affected in the same way. Only the guy in the 4x4 seems to have thought about stockpiling food and water, and though they talked about knowledge from books they haven't actually made any effort to get hold of the books before the cities become too infected with cholera/typhoid to enter.

It's as if they have immediately grasped they are the only survivors (without actually checking to see if other places were less badly hit), but not really thought of the implications beyond "we'll need to grow our own food" which won't keep them alive in the short term.

I wanted it to be undemanding but I found myself picking up on these and a thousand other points, and getting annoyed.

starry
24-Nov-08, 23:04
...and another thing!

That boy - lifts his head up from prayer to find everyone dead. What a load of bollocks. Do people normally fall asleep during prayer, then? Or did they all just bow their heads and then instantly die?

loobyloo
25-Nov-08, 01:12
...and another thing!

That boy - lifts his head up from prayer to find everyone dead. What a load of bollocks. Do people normally fall asleep during prayer, then? Or did they all just bow their heads and then instantly die?

I don't think I'll bother lol.... I was in two minds about it anyway but now I've read your review, Starry, I would think I'll be of the same viewpoint and find it highly annoying.
Ta, that saves me a few precious hours watching tripe :)

Dorrie
25-Nov-08, 02:13
I missed it on the TV and had wanted to watch it so just watched it from the BBC website. It was pretty much as I expected. I don't remember the original one though. The thing that annoyed me most is how everyone died so conveniently. No one decided to go to work and died on the road when driving, no car accidents, no cars! Unless of course they needed one, but all those empty roads? Hmmmmmm. :mad: So saying, I will watch the next episode on TV and see how it goes. :)

Kevin Milkins
25-Nov-08, 02:23
I got a bit fed up with it when she rapped her husband up in a carpet and put some petrol on him and set him on fire as if that would be enough to get rid of a body.

Anji
25-Nov-08, 17:05
I got a bit fed up with it when she rapped her husband up in a carpet and put some petrol on him and set him on fire as if that would be enough to get rid of a body.

That's exactly what I said to my OH at the time.
I'm also a bit confused as to why there aren't more flies around all those dead bodies.

kitty kat
25-Nov-08, 17:16
after reading this earlier on i had to go and watch it i thought it was good but not good enough i will watch another and hopefully it will get better :lol:

percy toboggan
25-Nov-08, 18:30

Yes!!
...and then shes pinned a note for her Son without adding
'the pile of bones in the garden is yer Dad'

percy toboggan
25-Nov-08, 18:31
...and another thing!

They certainly had a right to feel let down by whoever they were praying too.

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 15:10
I felt disappointed in last night episode.I vaguely remember the original which I enjoyed.:(

It seems to be moving too fast.

Kodiak
26-Nov-08, 15:43
After the disappointment of last weeks episode I decided not to watch Survivors and watched CSI Miami and I did not regret it at all. :D

percy toboggan
26-Nov-08, 18:13
I felt disappointed in last night episode.I vaguely remember the original which I enjoyed.:(

It seems to be moving too fast.

Buy the dvd of the original c/p.

This one is very fast indeed but there are many parallels and the scriptwriters have obviously based some of the action on the '75 prog.

The contrasts are really interesting to anyone who thinks about these things....I'm watching them in tandem, and it's fascinating if I'm honest....people spoke to each other somewhat differently in 1975, especially in adversity.

I enjoyed last nights installment of the new one and the week will seem a long one. Some good character development is emerging. Apparently that African lass..the Jr.Health Minister spokesperson emerges as the 'leader' of our 'adjusted' population before long so it should be fascinating. Heavenly for Beeb bosses too....they must be delighted at this turn of events.:lol:...all we need now is a one legged lesbian with a window cleaning round.

hotrod4
26-Nov-08, 19:10
(Heres something you dont hear too often;)) I am in a minority!!!.
I liked it, cant wait for next episode. I like the way it is filmed and written, yes we can pick holes in the story, but what part of FICTION do people not understand? Its a story,simple as. And I think a darn good one, the characters are believable ,though stereotypical and cliched but I watch for the enjoyment factor, not to disect it.:lol:

Kodiak
26-Nov-08, 19:35
(Heres something you dont hear too often;)) I am in a minority!!!.
I liked it, cant wait for next episode. I like the way it is filmed and written, yes we can pick holes in the story, but what part of FICTION do people not understand? Its a story,simple as. And I think a darn good one, the characters are believable ,though stereotypical and cliched but I watch for the enjoyment factor, not to disect it.:lol:

I agree it is a work of fiction and I am happy that you enjoy watching it. Unfortunately I do not agree that any of the characters are believeable or that it is well written.

Perhaps I have read too many books along the same story line, books like "Earth Abides". Whatever the reason this is not for me but I hope that you will carry on watching and get many hours of Entertainment from this Programme.

percy toboggan
26-Nov-08, 19:36
I think you can enjoy it and at the same time derive some interesting sociological comment from it as well, especially when drawing comparisons. The nuances and plot lines are remarkably similar to the original and no less entertaining for that.

It's quality viewing of a light entertainment kind and compared to what it's up against (jungle) I find it far superior.....no contest really.
I just wish this was screene dover 13 episodes like the original was...there is much scope for character development. So far the heroes are emerging quietly , the villains enigmatic...the peripheral baddies might soon get their come uppance.

Dorrie
26-Nov-08, 20:17
I enjoyed last night's episode more than the first and will continue to watch. :) I don't watch an awful lot of tv but I will enjoy this and try and watch it all now. I also am not a fan of the Jungle prog.

Riffman
27-Nov-08, 21:05
Second episode was better.