PDA

View Full Version : Eleanor Scott MSP - ASDA

Baconbuttie
26-Jan-06, 15:44
Quote from P & J today about ASDA

Green MSP Eleanor Scott yesterday criticised Asdas plan and claimed it could lead to the loss of local jobs. She said "Thurso already has a Somerfield and a second supermarket opening in the town will cause significant harm to local businesses in and around Thurso. This application is against the local plan and I will be objecting to it"

Ms Scott it obviously so out of touch with this area if she thinks Thurso only has 1 supermarket and in my view has no right to object. As she is a member of the Green Party I am surprised she is not taking the attitude that taking the supermarket to the people is far better for the environment than taking the people to the supermarket. I for one am sure that I will not be using as much fuel to go to Asda and Tesco as I am currently using to go to Inverness. I am sure that many people in Caithness will do the same. The people of Orkney and North Sutherland might also prefer a days shopping in Caithness to travelling to Inverness, thereby helping local businesses.

If Ms Scott really wants to impress us and do something for the area how about getting us a dentist, we could view that as a "Green" issue as well as we would not have to travel so far.

DW
26-Jan-06, 15:49
Spot on BB.

Can't be doin' with these geeks who just spout forth to get their name in the paper.

Tymey
26-Jan-06, 16:08
Quote from P & J today about ASDA

Green MSP Eleanor Scott yesterday criticised Asdas plan and claimed it could lead to the loss of local jobs. She said "Thurso already has a Somerfield and a second supermarket opening in the town will cause significant harm to local businesses in and around Thurso. This application is against the local plan and I will be objecting to it"

People in the far north aren't allowed the same level of choice as those who live further south it would seem.

nicnak
26-Jan-06, 16:42
Is ms Scott so out of touch to realise that there are in actual fact 3 supermarkets in thurso; somerfields, lidle, and coop and besides that shes talking rubbish another case of I know whats best for you, when they dont have a clue, eho on earth votes these people in??????

badger
26-Jan-06, 17:22
Wouldn't you think she should be rejoicing at all the new job opportunities and hopefully people coming from remoter parts of Caithness to shop in Thurso and Wick which will be good for existing retailers, restaurants etc. Maybe she just likes to moan. :cry:

JAWS
26-Jan-06, 17:29
You mean that the milkman doesn't deliver milk on his horse and cart and the Butcher's Boy doesn't have a bike with a basket on the front for delivering meat? It's disgraceful, bring back Open All Hours.
And what's more I have noticed a distinct lack of horse troughs on the way up from Inverness. I think it's disgraceful that the horses pulling the Mail Coach have nowhere to get a drink in all that distance.
I demand action this day!
Watering Troughts for the horses, NOW!
And do be careful you don't slip crossing the road! :lol:

kas
29-Jan-06, 22:38
Every comment I have heard her make on Caithness has gone against the majority of public opinion.
She was in favour of removing the consultants from the Maternity unit as well.
I dont ever see her having any clinics in the county either, at least the rest of them do even if some more than others. I find this rather annoying, does anyone else?

brandy
29-Jan-06, 23:04
where is her district by the way ?
surley not caithness as that is john thurso isnt it?
and does she live here ?

mickey101
29-Jan-06, 23:14
Hi
I am curious about a few things regarding Dr Scott.

1) Who the H*** elected her. To the best of my knowledge she isnt our MSP.
2) Where does Dr Scott do her shopping. I dare say she is a woman of such high pricipals that she has never set foot inside a Supermarket.
3) Has she ever been to Caithness in either and official or unofficial capacity?

M

JAWS
29-Jan-06, 23:29
She belongs to a set of scaremongers who wish to carry out their own political agenda whilst trying to make people believe that they are the only ones trying to save the world from evil people for our benefit.

They pretend that they are concerned about food travelling from all over the world for you to buy because you like eating it. They rattle on about the damage planes do and pretend they are talking about idle rich 'Fat Cats', but just, rather forgetfully, fail to mention they really mean they want to stop you going on holiday to Spain.

The Supermarkets they simply don't like because they are large businesses. They complain that food is transported round the world just so you can eat cheap food, What they also forget to mention is that those foods include such exotic delicacies as bananas, oranges, rice, and many things you eat when you get a Chinese or Indian carry out.

The 'Green' part is just a convenient trend they have found to be a useful label people will accept without bothering to look any further.

It was summed up nicely by one journalist who was being assailed by one such person intent on saving the world from pollution. The journalist was quite amused that the person doing the haranguing, and hundreds of others like him, were flying halfway round the World to a Conference where one of the subjects was the damage caused by air travel. He simply just couldn't see the irony of what they were in fact doing.

I don't mind what beliefs they hold if only they would tell me what they are instead of hiding them behind a curtain of bluster.

Do as I say, not as I do! And don't you forget it!
I love that attitude, I really do! :p

nicnak
30-Jan-06, 01:07
for those interested in the above take a look at this site;
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/msp/membersPages/eleanor_scott/index.htm
Worrying me thinks that she is part of the rural development comittee!

mickey101
30-Jan-06, 01:42
Hi
As far as I am concerned we did not elect her. She has nothing to do with this county. She doesnt live here and I doubt if she has even been here. She doesnt bother to get her facts straight before opening her mouth and forcing the benefit of her wisdom on us ( which we didnt ask for). If her and her kind have their way we will be back in the Dark Ages.

IN SHORT IF YOU WANT IT IN SHORT EASILY DIGESTABLE WORDS FOR A POLITICIAN.

DR SCOTT BUTT OUT.

Countryman
30-Jan-06, 12:45
Ms Scott Green and partner Rob Gibson SNP both have the same views - are they really interested in Caithness when did they last support Caithness problems or come to Caithness - NO only opposition.

When voting next year use your second vote carefully.

kas
30-Jan-06, 12:59
Ms Scott Green and partner Rob Gibson SNP both have the same views - are they really interested in Caithness when did they last support Caithness problems or come to Caithness - NO only opposition.

Rob Gibson did do alot behind the political scene with regards to the Maternity issue. It was him who started the motion in the parliment, in the early stages. So you cant say that about him. I have seen him having clinics up here, and commenting on other important issues.
Nither were actually elected in. I think it was something to do with their parties, that got them in.

DrSzin
30-Jan-06, 13:48
Eleanor Scott is a Green Party list MP for the Highlands and Islands. If you live in the Highlands and Islands and you voted Green with your second vote in the last Holyrood election, then you voted for her.

Similarly for Rob Gibson, just replace Green with SNP.

Why is anyone surprised at Eleanor Scott's stance? This is what Greens do. They like small local enterprise; they don't like big supermarkets. Simple really.

Saveman
30-Jan-06, 13:59
I wonder where Miss Green does her food shopping?

DrSzin
30-Jan-06, 14:09
I wonder where Miss Green does her food shopping?In a fairly large supermarket on the south side of Raigmore perhaps? ;)

Saveman
30-Jan-06, 14:12
In a fairly large supermarket on the south side of Raigmore perhaps? ;)

No doubt. I can't see her thoughts on the matter being taken into consideration anyway.....so I don't suppose it matters. At least I hope not.

DrSzin
30-Jan-06, 14:33
I wonder where Miss Green does her food shopping?On second thoughts, that's a good question.

Could someone email her and ask her? I would do it, but I don't live in the Highlands and Islands, so it's not really appropriate.

JAWS
30-Jan-06, 21:51
When the likes of Ms Evergreen World and her ilk have finished with all their CO2 laden hot air do they ever stop to think what they are really causing?

I wonder just how much fuel Caithnessians burn when they have to go down to Inverness to do some decent shopping. Instead of the odd lorry delivering to Caithness dozens of vehicles go to Inverness.

Are they really silly enough to believe that if they stop Supermarkets coming to Caithness, or anywhere else for that matter, that people will just do without? If they believe that then they certainly don't live in my world.

They are just the modern version of the Luddites going round smashing weaving looms because the provided cheap cloth for people instead of the expensive cloth woven on hand looms only the rich can afford.
They are like the Canal Owners trying to stop the building of those nasty, noisy polluting Railways because nobody will use their canals.
They must have wept buckets of tears at the thought of all the Smithies closing because those infernal steam wagons meant there would be less horses to be shod. And what was going to happen to all those wheel-wrights put out of work because of metal wheels and pneumatic tyres.

Can you imagine where we would be today if clowns like them had been around two centuries ago? We'd still have turf roofs and be sitting round ruining our eyes in the light from those wonderful candles made by the thousands of candle-makers.

Follow us folks and we'll soon have you happily living in the past. You too can die of typhoid because we'll put a stop to all those out of town sewerage works they want to build!
And don't repeal the Corn Laws or all those Johnny Foreigners will be selling their cheap corn here and what will the Landed Gentry do then?
Buy your corn locally and keep them in the luxury they think they deserve from you!

tip top
30-Jan-06, 21:57
JAWS - Superbly put. Get your name on the ballot paper!!!

Alice in Blunderland
31-Jan-06, 00:06

In his defence I have to say Rob Gibson was one of the first MSPs to contact our nursery with a letter of praise when it was highlighted as under threat of closure.He also met a few of the mums and has been in correspondance with us, he has an office in Wick and I regularly see people coming and going there.

mickey101
31-Jan-06, 01:30
Hi
I wonder exactly what Dr Scott think her job is

Judging by her statements it seems to be

1) Further her own agenda
2) Further the agenda of the Green party
Oh and
3) Represent the best interests of the people who put her there.

Assuming some of us did actually vote for her ( although I would have thought Hell would freeze over before anyone in Caithness but an X beside a green party candidate, sorry maybe that numpty who writes in the local rag did.) She sure isnt doing her job. She is looking after number one at the expense of the rest of us.
I find her attitude condesending at best. Constituents have an opinion dont be daft I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM.

Well Dr Scott we do have an opinion and hopefully in a year or so time we will show it by voting you out of your cushy little number.

Mike

JAWS
31-Jan-06, 02:28
Mickey101, she's a list MSP. With List MSPs you get what the Party gives you.
At least with a Constituency MSP if voters don't like what they are doing you can get rid of them.
A List MSP is a different kettle of fish, once a party gets enough votes then you get whoever the party wishes to dump on you.
You have at least a little leverage with a Constituency MSP, especially one with a small majority, but a List MSP owes their place and their allegiance to the Party and to nobody else.
When the party says 'Squeak' then they squeak and don't have to give a thought to the voters wishes.