PDA

View Full Version : Does Doureay...

Tugmistress
26-Jan-06, 14:36
have a heated water outflow?
or did it ever?
and if it did when did it stop?
when was the 2 mile fishing ban put around it?
is this still in force?
have i got the distance right?

weird questions i know but asked in all honesty as i know bog all about the place, sorry.

hope someone can help me.

DW
26-Jan-06, 14:38
Is that Doureay Scott, the failed James Bond candidate? :grin:
or is it a new way of writing solfa

Dou
Reay
Mee
Farr

Tugmistress
26-Jan-06, 14:42
lol, ok my spelling today is chronic :(
meant to be dounreay :)

theone
26-Jan-06, 16:08
Dounreay would have had a heated water outlet when it was producing energy. Thats why most power stations are next to the sea or a lake, they need cold water to condense the steam used to drive the turbines.

As for the fishing ban, not sure about the ins and outs but I believe it's nothing to do with warm water that was being discharged (which is perfectly harmless). More likely to be because of their low level effluent discharges?

golach
26-Jan-06, 16:20
have a heated water outflow?
or did it ever?
and if it did when did it stop?
when was the 2 mile fishing ban put around it?
is this still in force?
have i got the distance right?

weird questions i know but asked in all honesty as i know bog all about the place, sorry.

hope someone can help me.
Tugmistress, if my memory serves me well I think a fishing boat called the Primula was the MFV that monitored the whole coast for UKAE, ask the Mate o the Hamnavoe "Bushy" he used to be the Assistant Harbour Master at Scrabster at that time.

peedie man
26-Jan-06, 20:51
the ban is still in force.the Boy Andrew or the Opportune does the monitoring now,the Faithful did it before she was scrapped

Tugmistress
26-Jan-06, 20:59
Thanks for the reply folks, and golach, i'll try to collar bushy when they come back from dry dock :D