PDA

View Full Version : Problem barking

Julia
23-Nov-08, 20:20
One of my dogs has recently started barking at everything i.e. birds, falling leaves etc.. she only ever used to bark at low flying aircraft. Anyhoo I've tried various methods to stop her barking, she's had two different anti-bark collars.

We've now moved on to a 'Bark Buster', mains powered ultrasonic device but it has had no effect whatsoever, has anybody else had a similar problem or can you recommend a device?

dragonfly
23-Nov-08, 21:30
have you tried a good old fashioned water pistol or a bottle filled with stones to shake when the dog barks?? the water pistol is working with my puppy (so far!!)

Julia
23-Nov-08, 21:47
I may need to opt for a super soaker [lol]

router
23-Nov-08, 23:44
good long hike out in the country every day might help quell it's boredom,usually when an animal starts behaving like this is because it has nothing else to do.i'd suggest plenty of fresh air and exercise and loads of interaction with it's human family and a wee treat at the end.mind no raisins;)

Liz
24-Nov-08, 15:51
I'm afraid I have this problem with Benjy and have tried loads of things with no real success.

He is a Sheltie so am afraid it is inbred.

It has nothing to do with boredom as Benjy gets walks every day and I play with him as well.

Some dogs can bark due to nervousness and I did find that a DAP diffuser helped a bit so may be worth a try Julia?

I did try the anti barking collar but when it sprayed Benjy fell to the ground as if he had been shot!lol
He lay there with such a sad look in his eyes that I felt sorry for him and took it off!:lol:

Julia
24-Nov-08, 16:16
Poor Benjy! I have not yet tried the citronella collar and I'm hesitant too as they are so expensive, it will be a last resort.

I think I will go with the water pistol method this week.

She only ever barks at birds or something moving, it's definitely not boredom, she never ever barks indoors. Pugs characteristically do not bark much, she only started this recently as kids were provoking her through the fence, it's spooked her enough that she's now barking at everything.

It's not even a proper bark, ever heard a pug bark (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nmLL3x1B4K8&feature=related), it's more like a nasty cough?

carasmam
24-Nov-08, 16:18
...only started this recently as kids were provoking her through the fence, it's spooked her enough that she's now barking at everything.

I know who I'd be squirting with the water pistol then :Razz

brandy
24-Nov-08, 18:13
bubs barks as well!
not in the house but out on walks. she likes to bark at people! have tried everything! nothing seems to work. im going to try the water gun theory as well. shes well behaved in the house but if she sees someone she barks!

Liz
24-Nov-08, 18:48
Poor Benjy! I have not yet tried the citronella collar and I'm hesitant too as they are so expensive, it will be a last resort.

I think I will go with the water pistol method this week.

She only ever barks at birds or something moving, it's definitely not boredom, she never ever barks indoors. Pugs characteristically do not bark much, she only started this recently as kids were provoking her through the fence, it's spooked her enough that she's now barking at everything.

It's not even a proper bark, ever heard a pug bark (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nmLL3x1B4K8&feature=related), it's more like a nasty cough?

Aye the water pistol may be worth a try or even a plastic bottle filled with stones which you can shake when she starts barking.If you think it caused by anxiety since these horrible bairns taunted her (I agree with Carasmam in that you should turn the super soaker on them!!!lol)it may be worth trying a natural 'relaxant'. There are quite a few to choose from.

I love the pug bark!:lol:

Benjy's can get so high pitched it nearly shatters your eardrums!:eek:

I think Benjy barks for many reasons ie excitement;nervousness;happiness;anxiety and just for the hell of it!

I was told by a Sheltie breeder if she could breed a Sheltie which didn't bark she would make a fortune.

Good luck Julia!

Ash
24-Nov-08, 19:13
The last thing you should be doing is increasing his stress levels and water sprays/aversives are absolutely NOT the way to go

Have you taught a "quiet" command? This may help - the idea (I think) is when they are barking, hold up a treat and say "Quiet" the second there is a slight pause in the barking (click if you use a clicker) treat and praise. Keep this up for several repetitions, until he starts to look for the treat when he stops barking - you can then ask for a very slightly longer break before you (click)-treat - very very gradually build up the time, but occassionally reward for a short break so that your dog doesn't lose interest. This will take time, and to start with you will need to work in very low stress environments (ie with none of his current excessive barking triggers). Don't attempt to do this outside until you have mastered it in the house.In the meantime, you need to try and distract him from the triggers which are making him bark - when the door goes (or someone walks by etc), scatter some treats on the floor, so he is more interested in finding them than whatever else is happening. It might be an idea to do some 1:1 walks with him so you can focus on his behaviour without the other dogs around - take a toy or something so that he focusses on you and his toy rather than his stressors.

If he is barking and doesn't respond to distraction, stand between him and whatever he is barking at, with your back to him - sounds strange, but this really helped Honey stop barking at things going past outside. I think it just reinforces that you are not giving him attention for the barking. Make sure you praise and reward when he stops barking (however long it takes).

Another thing that might help is strengthening consistency with training/expectations - he does sound stressed and unable to relax, and this can sometimes happen if a dog isn't clear about boundaries or expectations. We found a "Nothing in life is free" type approach helped Honey when she was having difficulty relaxing - do not give anything unless the dog has earned it in some way. If the dog wants to play, ask for a "Sit", "Down" (or anything he can do confidently) first. Likewise for a treat... make sure you are asking for things he can do happily, otherwise you might end up adding to his stress.

Please, please, please throw out the water spray (and any other aversives you may have) - a trainer recommended this to my parents for their puppy who barked a lot, and she grew up into a dog-reactive adult dog through fear. It took my parents years to undo the damage caused. Using an aversive, especially in this kind of situation, will only increase stress.. http://cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/Smileys/classic/undecided.gif
You will need to give any intervention time to work - nothing will change overnight (he has had years of finding that his barking gets him a reward of some kind (attention, away from the stressor - there will always have been something that has reinforced his barking)).

The basics boil down to - try to prevent the behaviour (distraction and teaching a solid "Quiet", along with reducing overall stress), but in the meantime ignore the undesired behaviour and reward the desired behaviour!! Good luck!!!

Moira
24-Nov-08, 22:03
Julia - not having faced this problem I can only suggest you do a Google search on "Cesar Millan/problem barking"

Our Lab has a very deep bark so I am thankful he only uses it very occasionally. The first time he barked as a puppy he succeeded in scaring himself and us! Maybe that's the reason he limits it to special occasions. :D

Good luck with the solution.

goldenguernsey
25-Nov-08, 02:20
Cesar Milan has it off to a tee. I only have to utter "schhhhht" and my dog comes right back to me. She barks every time she watches the Dog Whisperer and sees naughty dogs mouthing off, I only have to say "schhhhht" and she's back with me all innocent like. They know what you want of them and will gladly give it you if only you can take control. Remember they truly want you to be in control, as pack leader they look to you for direction and guidance. As dog owners we have to fulfill that role or be seen as weak. Weakness is not acceptable in the dog world and weaklings are soon disposed of. Give your dog the guidance and direction he/she is deserved of and you will both have a better understanding and appreciation of each other.

Liz
25-Nov-08, 13:43
I really like Caear Milan's methods and they have worked for a lot of problems I have with Benjy.

Barking though is the one that beats me and I have tried saying "schhhhht" when he starts barking excessively but he just ignores me.:(

I still think with Benjy it is partly breed. Will keep trying though.

Let us know how you get on Julia.

Moira
25-Nov-08, 22:12
Like Liz I have faith in Cesar Millan's methods. Had I been aware of these methods a few years ago I may well have saved myself some extremely embarrassing moments.

As I said earlier the barking was not an issue for us. However, I could write a book on the moments when our normally docile Lab, responsive to our every command, decided to be both deaf/blind in his enthusiasm to greet folk and embrace life :eek:

I do accept that the failing was ours in not training him properly. Alas, he's quite arthritic now but at least that means I can move quicker. :D

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 15:21
Managed to get Scorries barking down to a minimum in the car with me shouting quiet.

Outside though,especially if he meets someone unexpectedly he does the stand off and barks his head off which I'm told is really scarey.:(

He thinks he's protecting us so how and why stop that.:confused

EmZ
29-Jan-09, 13:32

Julia
29-Jan-09, 13:38
take your dog a walk..[evil]Grrr

It's your family's fault my dog barks!

Julia
29-Jan-09, 13:44
snip< she only started this recently as kids were provoking her through the fence, it's spooked her enough that she's now barking at everything

sound familiar?

dragonfly
29-Jan-09, 14:37
nice one Julia!! :lol:

unicornleather
01-Feb-09, 01:18
Cesar Milan methods do work, I have used them on several occasions, try looking at this page

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/issues_barking.php

Oz :)

EmZ
01-Feb-09, 15:07
what dont u try that methods