PDA

View Full Version : Drug Dealers Daughter..........

scotsboy
23-Nov-08, 19:24
Radio stations are few and far between in my neck of the woods. There are two main stations, and if I am in very remote desert areas I am usually restricted to one…..anyway this one station has a Country Music hour on usually every time I am driving back from a remote area, and if I want to hear something (and have left the iPod at home) I am “forced” to listen. Anyway I am not much of a country music fan, but I started listening to the lyrics, and noticed that most of the songs were about love, commitment, loyalty, family, hard work, religion, poverty, determination and patriotism. Then as I got back into range of the other radio station I switched channels and found some R&B, rap etc playing which all seemed to be about sex, materialism and violence.
I know that these are rough generalisaitons, but do you think the music reflects or influences the societies from which it came?

joxville
23-Nov-08, 19:33
Absolutely. I can't bear to part with my white suit, a la Travolta-esque, and am inspired to dance whenever I hear Saturday Night Fever. It's all about the lovin' [lol]

Kodiak
23-Nov-08, 20:09
As John Lennon said :-

All you need is Love

That sentiment can't be bad and it will do for me.

anneoctober
24-Nov-08, 13:46
Absolutely. I can't bear to part with my white suit, a la Travolta-esque, and am inspired to dance whenever I hear Saturday Night Fever. It's all about the lovin' [lol]
NAH ! It's gotta be "dancing queen" Jox !![lol]

justine
24-Nov-08, 13:50
Truely, madly and deeply by Savage garden makes for great listening.:lol:

MadPict
24-Nov-08, 14:32
It does, but the gangsta homie-in-the-hood hip-hop crap with all it's sexism and misogynistic references, glorification of murder, violent abuse of women, use of drugs is hardly the same as someone singing a song about "love, commitment, loyalty, family, hard work, religion, poverty, determination and patriotism".

Not in my book.

"or influences the societies from which it came?"
It definitely influences it - why else would kids of certain ethnic backgrounds think it cool to carry guns, slap their ho's, take drugs, steal, shoot each other, wear labels?......

It is one thing to reflect it but another to perpetuate it...

joxville
24-Nov-08, 15:36
NAH ! It's gotta be "dancing queen" Jox !![lol]

You're closer than you think!! Dancing Queen is first song I ever danced to at the school disco. 30+ years later I still have no rythym and the co-ordination of a pig on stilts. [lol]

Anne x
24-Nov-08, 15:43
School Social Dance "will you still love me tmr " Taken from a Dusty Springfield Album gosh Im getting old:lol:

As for Radio Stations I like Radio 2 as they cover allsorts of music I cant be doing with the Commercial ones with all that advertising

joxville
24-Nov-08, 15:49
School Social Dance "will you still love me tmr " Taken from a Dusty Springfield Album gosh Im getting old:lol:

As for Radio Stations I like Radio 2 as they cover allsorts of music I cant be doing with the Commercial ones with all that advertising

I agree. I was listening to Radio 2 before it became popular/fashionable. All who used to take the mickey out of me now listen to it as well.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-08, 16:47
Radio stations are few and far between in my neck of the woods. There are two main stations, and if I am in very remote desert areas I am usually restricted to one…..anyway this one station has a Country Music hour on usually every time I am driving back from a remote area, and if I want to hear something (and have left the iPod at home) I am “forced” to listen. Anyway I am not much of a country music fan, but I started listening to the lyrics, and noticed that most of the songs were about love, commitment, loyalty, family, hard work, religion, poverty, determination and patriotism. Then as I got back into range of the other radio station I switched channels and found some R&B, rap etc playing which all seemed to be about sex, materialism and violence.
I know that these are rough generalisaitons, but do you think the music reflects or influences the societies from which it came?

Probably. It's my view that all black music - blues, jazz, tap, be-bop, jive, mississippi country hill, rap etc., - originated from the Hebrides. Gaelic slave masters taught their black slaves (and I mention the Alabama ones in particular) how to pray, sing, and worship in Gaelic. The gaels, by ancestry, were all rapists and pillagers alike, so yeah, go figure.

percy toboggan
24-Nov-08, 18:56
Scotsboy : you are bob on!!

Rap is perpetrated by lazy types who cannot be bothered to play instruments( in fairness they couldn't often afford them) ...and whenever I accidentally tune to the 'HITS' channel on digi-tv I am utterly dismayed at the bankrupt musical form which dominates the medium....waggling and available backsides accompanied often with aggressive lyrical content: angry at worst...pointless at best. All ushered along with a predictable rhythm and beat redolent of the awful mish-mash of poor American suburbs.

Whereas Billy-Jo , Allison Kraus, Faith Hill, Garth Crooks and others can lift the spirits as often as the aforementioned mob can pin them to the floor.

In answer: it both reflects, and influences.

hotrod4
24-Nov-08, 19:07
Scotsboy : you are bob on!!

Rap is perpetrated by lazy types who cannot be bothered to play instruments( in fairness they couldn't often afford them) ...and whenever I accidentally tune to the 'HITS' channel on digi-tv I am utterly dismayed at the bankrupt musical form which dominates the medium....waggling and available backsides accompanied often with aggressive lyrical content: angry at worst...pointless at best. All ushered along with a predictable rhythm and beat redolent of the awful mish-mash of poor American suburbs.

Whereas Billy-Jo , Allison Kraus, Faith Hill, Garth Crooks and others can lift the spirits as often as the aforementioned mob can pin them to the floor.

In answer: it both reflects, and influences.
Cmon Percy shake your Booty!
Get down with the homies in ze hood. Chill out with the B-boys and dig their breaks.
You know you wanna![lol]

joxville
24-Nov-08, 19:14
Cmon Percy shake your Booty!
Get down with the homies in ze hood. Chill out with the B-boys and dig their breaks.
You know you wanna![lol]

Translated:

*Get together with your friends in the neighbourhood. Relax with the breakdancing boys and enjoy their style of dance.
You know you want too.

*I have an image forming of percy and his cronies shaking their booties, waggling their false teeth and pimping their zimmer frames. [lol]

hotrod4
24-Nov-08, 19:25
Translated:

*Get together with your friends in the neighbourhood. Relax with the breakdancing boys and enjoy their style of dance.
You know you want too.

*I have an image forming of percy and his cronies shaking their booties, waggling their false teeth and pimping their zimmer frames. [lol]
Word to that Homeboy!:lol:

percy toboggan
24-Nov-08, 20:16
My booty is too achin' for shakin' mate...
I wish I could trade it in for another.

I like the idea of having a few 'cronies' though...
I've always been short of those ;-)

hotrod4
25-Nov-08, 13:25

Could this be the same type of music that revolves around the Formula of "My dog died, the wife left me and now I cant ride ma horse"?
Most depressing music ever, every song has heartbreak, so cant see it uplifting.Elevator music now that is "uplifting" ;)

TBH
25-Nov-08, 13:32
As the corries once sang, "I've been lonesome in the saddle since My horse died".