PDA

View Full Version : English Football Clubs Owe Tax Millions

Venture
23-Nov-08, 12:31
Well I've seen it all now. No wonder this country is in such a mess financially. In a recent study 18 out of 42 English division football clubs who went into administration owed approximately £31.7m to the taxman, but paid back only £3.5m - meaning the public purse lost out to the tune of more than £28m.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7741859.stm

Maybe we should all add FC after our names next time the taxman comes calling.[disgust]

joxville
23-Nov-08, 12:34
Well I've seen it all now. No wonder this country is in such a mess financially. In a recent study 18 out of 42 English division football clubs who went into administration owed approximately £31.7m to the taxman, but paid back only £3.5m - meaning the public purse lost out to the tune of more than £28m.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7741859.stm

Maybe we should all add FC after our names next time the taxman comes calling.[disgust]

I usually get called *FC instead of my name. :D

*What were you thinking? It's Funky Chicken

Venture
23-Nov-08, 13:17
I usually get called *FC instead of my name. :D

What were you thinking? It's Funky Chicken

Of course that's what I was thinking of, knowing you do a fair amount of squawking on here.[lol]

joxville
23-Nov-08, 13:23
Of course that's what I was thinking of, knowing you do a fair amount of squawking on here.[lol]

Ooooh get her!

Venture 1 Joxville 0 [lol]

percy toboggan
23-Nov-08, 13:26
Football clubs are interwoven into the social fabrtic of local communities.
This does not excuse them from prudence or responsibility in matters economic. In a short sighted dash to compete too many have overspent , especially on players wages.

No club should be allowed to fold in my opinion but wages must be capped to a percentage of income. After all there are many energetic young men who would be happy to earn a living from football at the more earthbound level of say six or seven hundred pounds per week. If this does not attract top foreign talent then so be it...there will at least be a level playing field.

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 13:29
This does not excuse them from prudence or responsibility in matters economic. In a short sighted dash to compete too many have overspent , especially on players wages.

No club should be allowed to fold in my opinion but wages must be capped to a percentage of income. After all there are many energetic young men who would be happy to earn a living from football at the more earthbound level of say six or seven hundred pounds per week. If this does not attract top foreign talent then so be it...there will at least be a level playing field.
I too think that many clubs Outlive their wealth. They spend money they just dont have. My Team(Glasgow Rangers FC-the pride of Govan!) Spent way too much money when Souey was manager. It caused a ripple effect later on which most clubs now feel. Players wages should be capped at maybe a set percentage of their fortune,that way they know exactly how much they can spend on Transfers etc and hopefully keep clubs afloat. Gretna was the classic example of a club that spent more than they could ever hope to bring in.

joxville
23-Nov-08, 13:34

I agree with you percy however football is only a game for 90 minutes, the rest of the time it's business. As with all business's, to attract the top talent, whether it be managing directors or staff, then high salaries and remuneration packages have to be offered.

Amy-Winehouse
23-Nov-08, 15:25
Can I be Amy-Winehouse aka Manchester City FC in that case as theyre going places shortly, Richest club in the world & every time a United fan fills his car with petrol, hes adding to our club funds [lol][lol]

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 15:48
Can I be Amy-Winehouse aka Manchester City FC in that case as theyre going places shortly, Richest club in the world & every time a United fan fills his car with petrol, hes adding to our club funds [lol][lol]
Funnily enough I am A City fan too!!.That makes me laugh too.
Blue is the colour[lol]

percy toboggan
23-Nov-08, 16:24
Joxville: Ninety minutes is the duyration of a game....which leads to hours of pain, or enjoyment and weeks worth of talk and thought to the committed supporter.

Amy: As one who sat amongst City's most meagre 'crowd' in the middish sixties (8,000) I wish for an upturn in their fortunes but the current ownership does not sit well with me I'm afraid. Long term the 'super-rich' clubs will have to seperate and play on their own. This was fine when the blues were not amongst them. I would not miss United, Cheslea or even Liverpool...two of whom are deeply indebted anyway.

I'm no longer an attender, and recently turned down a free ticket in the ex-players section but I'd rather pay to watch City v. Sheffield Wednesday on a wet January night under lights than see 'em playing Real Madrid on a sunny afternoon at the Bernabeau. I realise this might mark me as eccentric.

The irony re:petrol is quite amusing though.

scotsboy
23-Nov-08, 17:20
I too think that many clubs Outlive their wealth. They spend money they just dont have. My Team(Glasgow Rangers FC-the pride of Govan!) [b]Spent way too much money when Souey was manager[/b. It caused a ripple effect later on which most clubs now feel. Players wages should be capped at maybe a set percentage of their fortune,that way they know exactly how much they can spend on Transfers etc and hopefully keep clubs afloat. Gretna was the classic example of a club that spent more than they could ever hope to bring in.

Sorry Hotrod, but that is just wrong. The financial mess that Rangers got themselves into was caused by David Murray, and Advocaat was the manager who spent the money.

scotsboy
23-Nov-08, 17:21

Very little of the UAE's money comes from oil.

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 17:52
Sorry Hotrod, but that is just wrong. The financial mess that Rangers got themselves into was caused by David Murray, and Advocaat was the manager who spent the money.
True but it started when souey started bringing in Woods,Butcher,Roberts,Steven etc and then advocaat raided the coffers.

scotsboy
23-Nov-08, 18:52
Got to disagree, Smith was manager after Souness. The money spent by Souness was insignificant compared with what Advocaat put out (even taking into consideration the time difference).