PDA

View Full Version : Wick, Huskies & Snow

northener
23-Nov-08, 11:01
I'm confused.

We seem to have a lot of Husky dogs in Wick, they're obviously the 'trendy' dog to have at the moment.....

I see them trotting up and down with their understandably proud owners every day of the week. Until now.
The snow has arrived and ...no husky dogs to be seen on the streets!

I was hoping to see teams with Mushers charging up Shore Lane and traversing the great tundra of Bignold Park chasing Polar Bears.
Maybe going in search of a daily newspaper and baby seals to club (by the Mushers - not the dogs)?...But what do I see? Nothing. Not one mutt in this fair city.

Are all the Huskies tucked up on the sofas of the great unwashed, watching Eastblunders and munching on Bonios? Shouldn't they be lugging things around outside?

Mik.M.
23-Nov-08, 11:07
You seem to have a very valid point o wise one:lol:

Errogie
23-Nov-08, 11:12
Like many "trendy" working dogs they make totally unsuitable household pets and don't begin to come into their own until its at least minus 10 c outside. You're more likely to see them pulling wheeled buggies which are much faster than sledges anyway but if you happen to be riding a horse when one of these outfits comes round a corner hang on tight!

Lavenderblue2
23-Nov-08, 11:17
I'm confused.

We seem to have a lot of Husky dogs in Wick, they're obviously the 'trendy' dog to have at the moment.....

I see them trotting up and down with their understandably proud owners every day of the week. Until now.

I was hoping to see teams of Mushers charging up Shore Lane and traversing the great tundra of Bignold Park chasing Polar Bears, going in search of a daily newspaper and baby seals to club (by the Mushers - not the dogs)?...But what do I see? Nothing. Not one mutt in this fair city.

Are all the Huskies tucked up on the sofas of the great unwashed, watching Eastblunders and munching on Bonios? Shouldn't they be lugging things around outside?

What a laugh Northener - I just loved the picture you conjured up in my mind. Teams of Mushers whizzing all over Wick, going for their Sunday papers and pandrops :lol:

Venture
23-Nov-08, 11:17
I'm confused.

I was hoping to see teams of Mushers charging up Shore Lane and traversing the great tundra of Bignold Park chasing Polar Bears, going in search of a daily newspaper and baby seals to club (by the Mushers - not the dogs)?...But what do I see? Nothing. Not one mutt in this fair city.

Good idea Northerner. What a great alternative to taxis. Just think we could go by dogsled to Tescos. "Mush, Mush".[lol]

Errogie
23-Nov-08, 11:36
I once spoke to a lady who had been walking her elderly poodle on a woodland trail when a team of slavering huskies appeared pulling an out of control buggy and heading straight for her pet with evil intent. Fortunately she managed to snatch the little dog away from their jaws in the nick of time.

The comment from the huskey musher as he sped by was "You're lucky they've been fed today"! I am continually amazed at the relationship people in this country have with their dogs. Perhaps if we'd developed a culinary tradition like some other places we wouldn't be looking at a land over populated with strays, obese muitts and pavements covered in excretia.

binbob
23-Nov-08, 11:57
I once spoke to a lady who had been walking her elderly poodle on a woodland trail when a team of slavering huskies appeared pulling an out of control buggy and heading straight for her pet with evil intent. Fortunately she managed to snatch the little dog away from their jaws in the nick of time.

The comment from the huskey musher as he sped by was "You're lucky they've been fed today"! I am continually amazed at the relationship people in this country have with their dogs. Perhaps if we'd developed a culinary tradition like some other places we wouldn't be looking at a land over populated with strays, obese muitts and pavements covered in excretia.

same old ..same old..all been said before...nasty comments....

northener
23-Nov-08, 12:12
Like many "trendy" working dogs they make totally unsuitable household pets and don't begin to come into their own until its at least minus 10 c outside. You're more likely to see them pulling wheeled buggies which are much faster than sledges anyway but if you happen to be riding a horse when one of these outfits comes round a corner hang on tight!

I tried to get down to Aviemore earlier this year for the big Musher 'meet', unfortunately I couldn't get the time off. I'd love to have the time to run a team.....looks like bloody good fun.

hotrod4
23-Nov-08, 12:14

That is so true, its not the dogs that are at fault, its their irresponsible owners who need to be taken to task.I have seen people coming from all over Wick to let their dogs mess. Obviously they wouldnt do it on their own doorstep but they will do it where they dont live.A plastic bag is so small and fits in the pocket but so many cant be bothered. I am a dog owner and always take a bag with me just in case.
Whats worse is that they allow it to happen opposite the church in Argyle Square where people get their wedding photos taken, such a shame that such a special day could be ruined by such Ignorant people.[evil]

Errogie
23-Nov-08, 13:04
Couldn't agree more. I am very fond of dogs although don't own one at present due to nomadic lifestyle. What I do object to are irresponsible owners who overfeed their pets and never take them for a decent daily walk. Keep seeing obese humans next to pets in the same condition.

There are several dedicated husky owners close to me who have moved to the area in order to access good forest roads and trails to train on and also to be away from near neighbours with seperate kennels for up to 10 dogs. It really is a life style choice to own, manage and to be a competitor at the races which are held all over the country by the British Siberian Husky Association.

Unfortunately the annual Aviemore event had a problem with sponsorship and went to Galloway last year but who knows it might return there in the future.

elamanya
23-Nov-08, 15:37
we were on hiliday in alaska and visited a husky training centre,was surprised to learn that the class they train them is called a mushroom

ett23
23-Nov-08, 15:58
I tried to get down to Aviemore earlier this year for the big Musher 'meet', unfortunately I couldn't get the time off. I'd love to have the time to run a team.....looks like bloody good fun.

I know a place that owns huskies and sleds/buggies that you can use. They show you the ropes and then let you have a go yourself so if you fancy a shot you should go down next year once they're up and running! They're near Bonar Bridge, this is their web site: http://www.highlandwildrides.co.uk/